Chapter 5: More Questions
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We soon entered through the front gate. It was rather impressive, considering how low tech everything else seemed. A set of large metal doors, with a complex gear mechanism that slowly opened. As we passed through the large arch, we were greeted by a guard of sorts.

 

“Greetings, Jerry. Nothing of interest to report while you were away.” The man saluted. 

 

He was average in height, and had clear brown eyes. He wore light metal armor, with leather padding. A long metal spear in his left hand, signifying his status as a guardsman.

 

He turned away from Jerry to speak to us directly. “I’m guessing you must be the individuals Eir had told me about?” I could only nod and smile back in silence. The instant I tried to open my mouth, I was once again interrupted by Jerry.

 

“Bwahaha! That they are, Alfred. Good to see you’re as engaged as ever!” Jerry laughed as he forcefully shook the hand of the guardsman. “Where did the youngster go anyways?”

“Julie came and picked him up. It seems Sophie followed after them towards Keinz’s place. Something to do about a check up, as well as a status report.” Alfred stood tall as he gave his response.

“We were heading in that direction anyways, so it’s good they’ll get to see their friend again so soon. Be sure to tell me when Celly returns with the rest of the squad.” Jerry gave one last smile to Alfred.

“Will do sir!” Alfred saluted once more with a bright gleam shining off his muddy eyes.

We were led away from the gates, towards the largest building in the area. The town itself was fairly small, and the walk was rather brisk. Along the way, we passed by several settlements, and various families doing tasks. In what seemed to be a supply depot, we saw a lady with a checklist. She was counting the amount of supplies on hand, and after a brief exchange of waves between her and Jerry, we were on our way again.

“That lady over there was Julie, Keinz’s second in command. It seems she was sent back to her tasks after delivering Eir.” Jerry whispered to us as we continued onto our destination in silence.

As we neared the entrance to one of the buildings, another lady came out. She wore a dust-coloured bandana with aviator goggles, resting atop her long ginger hair. Cloaking her body, a brown robe, similar to Jerry’s and Eir’s cloak. On her back lay a slick metal crossbow of sorts. An overly complex leather belt rested on her waist, with a shortsword hanging from her left side, and a small pouch from the right. She immediately noticed us, and came over. Her deep blue eyes shot with urgency in the afternoon sun.

“G’afternoon, Jerry. And you must be the ones Eir spoke about.” She stopped before us, placing an arm on her hip as she rested the other by her side. “I’m Sophie. You should get inside quickly to introduce yourselves. I’ll be returning to the investigation squad immediately. I suggest you do the same, Jerry. Once you’re done showing them to Keinz, of course.” With that, she left before Jerry or I could get a word in.

“Classic Sophie. Always so serious.” Jerry let out a light chuckle. He opened the small metallic door, and entered inside the wooden structure.

The interior was vastly different than expected. It seemed much more like a house than any sort of military encampment. There were rugs and various cloths scattered around the place to liven it up. Each decorated with sprawling flower patterns on them, along with the drapes which suspended from the windows. Indeed... the place was far more sophisticated than I could have imagined. A tea set was even set out on a dinner table through one of the open doors of the place.

 

“What kind of boomer house is this?” Livie was the first to voice her surprise. As we were about to step inside, we noticed Jerry taking off his boots. We soon followed suit.

“That’s just the boss for ya. Not only is he a clean freak, but also pretty eccentric in needing his living spaces to seem civilized.” A wry laugh left his smile, as he could only shake his head in what seemed like pure nonsense to him. “I do have to admit though, it is rather nice. Even if it seems a bit excessive.”

 

After the short break, we moved on again up some stairs to a grand door. A few knocks from Jerry, followed by a declaration of him entering as he opened the door, only to find the room empty.

 

I briefly looked inside the room, and saw what seemed like a study, or perhaps conference hall. A large banner sat overhead of a desk, with several seats laid across it. The banner insignia itself was rather striking and memorable. A tree with branches sprouting out of it, forming a human heart in the center of its leaves. The background was set on white, while the markings making up the tree was a colour of blue thread. The leaves that encompassed the trees were made of the same blue as it’s trunk. While the centerpiece, the heart, had veins that were made entirely of purple, while the body itself was red.

“Guess he’s not here...  Probably in his lab then.” With that, Jerry lightly closed the door, then led us down several flights of stairs, to what seemed like a basement. As we continued on through the basement hall, the banner I saw kept crossing my mind.

“What was that banner over that desk for?” My own curiosity, and need for knowledge, led me wanting to know more. “It was too intricate to seem like the flag for a small town like this.”

“Ah that…? I mentioned before this place used to be called Outpost #87 didn’t I?” He scratched his cheek a bit, as if trying to remember something. “This outpost, and many like it, were set up by the Church. As wanderers such as yourself, I thought you would have known that. The banner that you saw was the church’s banner. Keinz was originally a researcher from the Church, sent to set up camp here. He was the founder of the outpost, and it’s leader. We have quite a lot to thank him for.” Just as he finished speaking we had reached the farthest end of the hall. 

 

An imposing double metal door, with a far different feel compared to the rest of the building. It was well polished with next to no impurities. This alone made me question just how advanced the technology was in this world.

 

Next to the door sat a button to what seemed like an intercom of sorts. Jerry leaned over and pressed the button before speaking into it.  “It’s Jerry, I’ve brought Eir’s friends.”

 

“Ah, good work Jerry. You’re dismissed. I’ll open the door for them soon.” The voice of a young eccentric man buzzed over the intercom. Jerry followed its orders, leaving us there to wait.

 

A minute passed. The mechanical locks on the door started to whirr, opening in moderation. Inside showed a bright white interior. We walked in and gawked at what we saw. Advanced machinery, almost comparable to the modern day in our own world, stretched out before us in all directions. Several rooms lined the back wall, only one of which had a veil over it. It was easy to assume which one had both Eir and Keinz waiting inside.

“It seems your friends are here, Eir. I’ve just finished your physical examination, so get ready.” With those words, the veil that was covering the entrance of that room moved aside, revealing a middle aged man with short wavy light-blue hair, and rectangular glasses on his face. A white lab coat covered the majority of his body, and a white frilly dress shirt hid beneath it. Brown dress pants could be seen poking out from its lower half.

The man we assumed to be Keinz, proceeded towards an island that sat in the middle of the main room. He pulled up a seat, gesturing towards us to the same. Upon sitting down, he grabbed a cup from the tea set which rested atop, and poured himself a drink. Next to him lay a clipboard and pen. He filled out chicken scratches with his free hand as he sipped from his delicate teacup. He finished by putting both the pen and cup down, as Eir ran out of the room to sit beside him.

 

“You must be Michirin. I’ve heard about you from Eir.” The man smiled as he poured a cup out for each of us. “Tea?” He slid filled cups to each of us, except Arashi, who curtly refused.

A billion questions raced through my mind as I now sat in front of the person most seemingly capable of answering our questions. However, before we could ask anything, he raised a hand telling us to wait.

“I’m sure you have plenty of questions, as it is rare to meet one such as I. Before we do any of that, there are things I need to confirm. First off, what were those lights, and what do you have to do with them?” He cut straight to the point, something which even Arashi had to respect.

 

“How do we know that you can answer our questions?” I shot him a glare. If he was expecting information out of us, it was only right we got some out of him.

“Fair enough. I assume you visited my office on the way here. You saw the large banner, yes?” He opened a nearby drawer, and took out a small badge. Presenting it on the table, I identified it had the same insignia.

“Yes we did, and it had the same design. Your large friend already told us what it means.” Despite my serious tone, Keinz chuckled in response, while Eir panicked at the situation before him. In response, Keinz lifted his hand and comforted the small boy by rubbing his head.

 

“Then as a researcher of the church, I can more than assure you that I can answer any question you may have. If not, I know where to go to gather it. Now will you answer my question?” He sat back and relaxed himself in his chair. 

 

He knew he was the one leading the conversation, and that there was no way I’d hear my answers first. I looked back at the people following me, and it seemed they had all given up as well. I let out a sigh and prepared for what he wanted to hear.

 

“Those pillars of light you saw, they were us.” I said it with a straight face, knowing how ridiculous it sounded. “It seems we ended up in this world without warning, and we’re just trying to get back home.” Keinz lifted an eyebrow in response, it seems this was something he wasn’t expecting.

 

“I find that difficult to believe, but if that is true, that means you arrived just recently…” He took a moment to think before it seems he had an idea. “Come with me, I might have a way to prove you are what you say you are, besides just the clothes and items you wear.” He stood up and walked over to a desk, before taking out a spyglass. Then he motioned towards the door, telling us to follow after him. 

 

We exited the building, and approached one of the walls. We slid through a gap in the unfinished exterior and continued following the researcher. After a couple minutes of walking, we found a practice range with several targets set up at varying feet.

 

“This is where we come to train new recruits.” He fished out a ball from his pocket with his free hand, then gave it to me. “There’s a target about 700 feet away, I want you to try and throw this ball as hard as you can at it.”

I was dubious at his response. Even the best pitchers couldn’t even hit 500 feet, yet he expected me to throw it 700? I took the ball out of his hand, and took on a pitching position. I remembered the perfect fingering technique for a fastball, and prepared myself. After two or three deep breaths, I moved my arm and threw the ball.

However, it still stopped short before hitting even 250 feet.

“This more than proves you aren’t from this world. An adult your age would more than be able to throw half a kilometre.” As he said this, he handed his spyglass to me. He took out another ball, and with the same position and form, threw the ball at an astounding speed. It smashed a target at the 1,500 feet mark, which I saw through the glass eye. It took but a matter of seconds. We stood there dumbfounded as he shook his arm, clearing away any recoil he might have felt from the throw.

“See what I mean?” A cocky grin formed across the researcher’s face. “Your reactions more than tell me that you are as you say. This level of performance is common in our world, regardless of whichever city you hail from.”

“Show off…” Was all I could mutter under my breath.

 

Arashi stood there in stunned silence, as Yusha and Ollie looked like they were about to flip out. Meanwhile Livie had already started shouting.

 

“Holy fuck dude, what the balzes was that! It went all Kaboom and then it shot off like a jet! And you’re telling me this old man was able to hit that small a thing like it’s normal? You just gotta teach me how to do that!?” 

 

To say she was excited was an understatement. Livie was practically jumping at the feat she had just witnessed. Her honest joy was enough to make the shrew Keinz let out a laugh.

“Of course, of course. After all, this isn’t entirely physical based.” He picked out another ball, and casually tossed it towards Livie, who caught it without issue. 

 

“Just how many balls can fit in that single pocket?” Yusha questioned with a bewildered look in his eyes.

 

Keinz simply grinned at the question. “Now, Livie. I want you to imagine throwing it as hard as you can. Feel your arm muscles tightening, and a warm sensation flowing through them. Release that built up power as you throw it.” Keinz instructed Livie with a hand on her back. “Eir, I want you to use your eye. Take a close look at her, and tell me if you notice anything.”

 

Livie took a similar stance to the one Keinz and I had just moments ago, and held it. As she did Eir’s cat-like left eye started to glow an eerie yellow.

“I see it building up in her arm, Pa. Nothing out of the ordinary going on inside her either.” Keinz hesitated, then gave a knowing nod. He watched as Livie built up power for a couple more seconds.

“Now, try to think of the most powerful thing you can. Release it all through your arm, into the ball.” Livie looked over at Keinz, then back ahead of her. She closed her eyes, and started her pitch.

The ball flew out of her hand, causing a gust of wind to bush away from it. The ball stopped short at 600 feet. Nowhere near as impressive as Keinz, but still well beyond normal human capacity. The rest of us, Keinz included, were shocked to see her capable of that much.

 

“Damn it…” Livie pouted, upset at not reaching the target. She likely just wanted to see it burst into pieces…

Eir walked up to Livie, trying to comfort her. However, to no one’s surprise, he ended up just being the target of her frustration. Returning to being nothing more than a doll for her to cuddle.

“While we’re here…” Keinz spoke up. “It’s been a while since we last did a fitness test on you, Eir. Come here.” Eir broke free of Livie’s stranglehold and walked over to his father. Eir received another ball from him. “Throw as hard as you can, son. No holding back.”

Eir proceeded to fully reveal the cat-like appendage that was his right arm. He held the ball with it, grabbing it with his claws, before assuming the same stance as those before him. After a few deep breaths, he seemed to focus power in his arm until…

“EVERYONE, GET DOWN AND COVER YOUR EARS!” Keinz screamed out. Everyone followed his command out of fear. As soon as we did, Eir proceeded to leap a couple feet into the air, and a sonic boom erupted from his arm as he released the ball from his clutches.

 

The ball itself must have shot forward at a speed beyond 900mph, well past the sound barrier. The eyeglass that laid on the ground next to me cracked underneath the pressure. After about 30 seconds had passed, Keinz gave the all clear and we started to get back up again.

“Eir… how far was that…?” Keinz was more than surprised at what just happened, his feet shaking out of fear.

“Uhm… From what I saw, it seemed to go over half a mile.” His voice spoke out in a mix of shy embarrassment, and guilt.

“L-livie’s been keeping a kid with that much destructive force in her arms this whole time!?” Yusha interjected with a crack in his voice, while Ollie and Arashi had differing looks of shock.

“This is what I get for underestimating the strength of beasts.” Keinz scratched his head, unsure of what to make of the events that just transpired.

“That’s our Eir for ya!” Livie shouted. A clap of applause following suit for the cat-boy in front of her. She then, once again, ran up to hold him in her embrace.

 

As we were all laughing about the fact that we nearly lost our hearing, Jerry slipped between the unbuilt wall from behind us. Sweat could be seen forming at his brow. He must have been running all over the place to find us.

“Keinz sir! It’s Celly’s team! They were wiped out and only one survivor returned!” He took a minute to catch his breath. “Sophie returned with him, and they’re currently waiting at the medical tent! Julie is tending to his wounds as we speak.”

 

“Wait… Injured? A group like theirs should have had no problem with the Lost right?” I asked the question that was on the entire group's mind. Was there something stronger than just the Lost out there? 

 

“Tending to wounds?” Arashi probed, raising a brow. “Mine closed itself right back up after getting bit by one of those things.” 

 

If that was true...  that means it also bypassed whatever insane healing factor people naturally have in this world.

 

“Save your questions for later, please. I must go help with this, urgently. Please head back to my home and await my return.” Keinz slipped back through the opening with purpose. Jerry followed immediately after him.

“Do as he says, I’m following after them. I don’t want them hiding anything from us.” Leaving my friends behind, I silently followed behind Keinz and Jerry on their swift pace towards their medical facility.

 

It was a rather short trip, and it seemed they noticed me following. However, they did nothing about it. The situation at hand must be far more dire than worrying about what I will see here. As we neared the tent, Keinz stopped before going in.

“Brace yourself… It won’t be pretty.” He warned. Although it seemed to apply not just to me, but himself as well. With that, he disappeared behind the tent’s curtain. 

 

With a short, deep breath... I followed after.

 

The musty smell of medicine hit me as I stepped inside. Compared to the lab, this makeshift hospital had nothing akin with the patient rooms I was familiar with. The almost medieval feel of it greatly disappointed me compared to the spectacles I saw earlier. It seemed that while their scientific research was strong, their medical knowledge was lackluster. The interior setup of the tent itself looked more like the medical tents in war movies. Beds lined the sides with a simple cabinet or two. They were filled with basic medical items like coban wrapping, and alcohol for disinfectant. 

 

Next to one of the beds, I spotted the woman that I had seen earlier, Julie. Being able to see her more closely in person I could tell that she, like Keinz, looked no older than thirty. She had long dark hair that was neatly tied up in a ponytail, while her face itself had a fair complexion. Her light purple eyes were engrossed in their work, as her hands were covered by both blood, and a strange tar-like substance which bubbled and dripped from her gloves.

 

As my eyes traveled further down, I turned my attention upon the man who had been brought in. That same black goo frothed at his wounds, as if eating him alive. No matter how much Julie and Keinz cleaned it away with rags, there always seemed to be more. It slowly devoured him internally, preventing his spuming flesh and blood from closing the wound. A desperate struggle was taking place in front of my very eyes. The struggle between a man’s life, and the dark tar that consumed him.

 

“What… what is that…?” I hesitantly opened my mouth. Fear and disgust drove through to my very core as I looked upon this gruesome display before me. Thankfully… my words go unanswered. 

 

Both attendants would take rag after rag in quick succession. Dipping them in a vat of substances that melted the tar inside it. With every rag that was washed off, shrill screeching could be heard from the dying substance. As though… It was alive…? A large chunk of the substance entered the vat. It clearly squirmed and moved as though trying to get out like a desperate animal, ultimately burning away before it could.

“This is the remains of an Alces attack…” Sophie had appeared from behind me, carrying a dozen towels in her arms. Her voice was shaking, perhaps at her own regret at not making it back in time. “Now, ya going to just stand there, or help out?”

“Alces…?” As I asked this, Sophie had shoved a pair of gloves and a towel into my face, which I awkwardly grabbed. Forgetting my utter disgust, I put on the gloves and paced over to the medical bed. I relieved Julie from her work, and began cleansing the mangled mess on the bed.

 

“Dark abominations, covered in tendrils made of that stuff.” Julie removed her gloves, thankful for the break. It was obvious what she was referring to.

“Their corrosive nature devours a person’s life force. Give it enough time and they’ll join the dead, or worse… the Lost.” Keinz’s face was ridden with clear disdain as he picked up a bottle of disinfectant.

“How about you big fella?” Sophie turned towards Jerry, who was standing across the room. He seemed to be holding something in his hand which I couldn’t make out.

“I have something to attend to...” He grabbed his lance lying next to the door and rushed out.

“You seem to have things handled here…” As he said that, Keinz immediately threw off his gloves and ran after Jerry.


After tireless hours of work, we finally scrubbed the last of the corrosive substance that was spread across the man's body. The pain must have taken its mental toll on him. The wild screams he released from his lungs had subsided sometime through the process. However, now he was sleeping peacefully as his wounds were closing and breathing had regulated. 

“Good work. You’re much more capable than you seem.” Julie had thrown her gloves into a nearby disposal bin after washing them off. Sweat had formed on the brows of those who were involved in the process. As we started settling down, Jerry had wheeled in a cart of food for us.

 

Jerry counted each of the people in the room by bobbing his head up and down.“Hm? Where did Keinz go?” He tilted his head in an inquisitive manner.

“I thought he ran after you?” I answered back curtly. “Figured he tried to stop you from taking revenge for your sister.” His face recoiled in shock. It seems my assumptions were wrong.

 

“No… I didn’t see him at all. I went straight to the kitchen and made lunch.” He laughed weakly.

“That damn Keinz... He probably went to kill the Alces by himself.” Julie let out a deep sigh.

 

Without hesitation, I bolted out of the tent and ran towards the large gate at the entrance of the town. I need more answers from Keinz, and will not put up with him leaving without that satisfaction. I'll run across the desert if I have to.

 

It didn’t take long before I saw Alfred. His shiny metal plate reflecting the evening sun. However, he was there speaking to a man in a black lab coat with white patches… Was that Keinz?

“Hey, Michirin. How ya doing.” Keinz turned his head towards me, letting out a laugh. Knowing full well how ridiculous he looked covered from head to toe in the black goop which must have been the Alces' remains.

A cold sweat dropped over me. Just who was Keinz exactly? A man capable of taking on a monstrosity by himself. A beast with the power to take out a whole party of well-trained explorers… All of today’s events have only left me with more questions, and very little answers.

0