Ch 04. Smithing & oaths.
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

began working this was a way to ensure i wouldn't be ordered around doing things as I am still an apprentice, he could easily order me around to do the boring jobs. 

 

And so I began forging I quickly grabbed a steel bar that was already formed into a rectangular shape. It was around 34 centimeters long and 50 millimeters thick. I put in a few shovels of coal into the forge and lite them with a magic circle that's engraved on the bottom of the forge.  Then I started raising the heat till the desired temperature which was above 1150 degrees Celsius.

 

 When I got the desired heat I put in my steel bar a started heating it till it started glowing when that happened i took it out and started shaping it into a rough sword shape. When the metal cooled down I would again heat it and shape it till it got to the desired form. While I was doing this my dad also came into the workshop he noticed I was already working on a sword and he smiled awkwardly. He didn't bother to say anything about yesterday because I was so focused and he didn't want to mess up my work. 

 

When I was done forging I started the process of grinding the blade to make the point of the blade and the edges sharp so it would be able to cut and stab. 

 

When i was done with the first two steps I moved onto the next one heat-treating the blade. So I began slowly warming it up till the desired temperature and then cooling it slowly so that the stresses that build up inside the blade due to forging and grinding it. I but it in soft sand this was done so it could cool down evenly and that this process didn't affect the blade in any kind of way. 

 

Then the quenching began, due to the third step the blade was hard and became brittle this mend that the blade was hard. Which is normally a good thing but it had excess this excess made it that it couldn't even bend a little which is not something u want from a blade. 

 

That is because if a hard clap would hit the blade it could only break instead of bending just a slightly which could be fixed later on. and thus I began my work I once again heated the blade to the same desired temperature but this time I was going to cool it quickly this could be either done in oil ore in water. Whereas if u did it in water it would cool it quickly it would cool slower in oil but that would mean it was could off evenly the whole time. So I went with the latter option and grabbed the blade and quickly put it in a barrel full of oil. 

Then the last step came in tempering the blade I would be heating it once again and then cooling it down but this time just in still air and so I did. After I finished the process i began grinding one more time just to get the edge sharp (and the bling bling of course) then I put on a premade guard and a hilt followed by a pommel.  And placed the newly crafted sword onto a rack ready to be sold.

 

After that, I couldn't take it anymore the whole day I wanted to check out of it was really true about my mana it seemed I still had a lingering feeling left for magic. And so I went into the woods right outside the gates luckily like always there weren't any guards at the gate we lived far away from all the fighting and only weaker monsters showed up here. 

 

I went into the woods stopped when I found a good place to see if it was really true and so I began chanting out the spell for a fireball. Everything went alright for about four seconds until I noticed something strange the fireball that was floating on top of my hand wasn't the shape of a ball anymore it was just a little puddle of fire. But as stupid as it looked it created immense heat and radiating light I finished my chants only to wake up later.

 

 I saw a round hole shape into the tree it was a success but it didn't feel as good as I thought I would I noticed something strange. The little fire spirits presence was gone.. then it hit me it had sacrificed itself to finish the spell to save me. I looked around to only see destruction from the spell and I knew what I had done and thus I oath to myself to never use magic again.  ( hes gonna break this ¨but u knew that already to so cmon it aint a spoiler i guess¨) 

0