Chapter 00: Prologue
7.8k 13 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Monday, Apr 8th 2058]

[Tokyo National Academy]

Today I finally went back to school after burying my parents. It would be the understatement of my life if I said the bullying is just a bit worse than usual.

So, at the end of the day, I take off running for home with Hiroki Abe and his cohorts hot on my heels screaming that, “You’re going to get it even worse for running away.” Trust me, regardless of the serious issues I have, you would run for your life too when it was seven to one.

I’d hoped that I would be safe if I made it to my house, but that turned out not to be the case. The seven of them followed me right into the house, blocking me from leaving or even going up the stairs to lock myself in my room. My only place to go was the door to the basement that my parents had always forbidden me from ever going into.

Desperate at this point, I ran to the basement door, yanked it open, slammed it shut behind me, and heard the hum of the magnetic lock as it secured the door. I heard them hitting and kicking the door saying they weren’t going anywhere and would wait for me right there.

Leaning my head against the door, I let out a deep sigh since I knew I was safe because it was a steel door and there was no way they could get through it, but there was no way for me to leave as long as they were there either. I could still hear them talking outside of the door half an hour later. The problem with that was that I had to use the bathroom rather badly - not to mention I was very thirsty as well. I thought I remembered my mother saying she had to clean the bathroom down in the basement once, so at least that problem could be taken care of.

Carefully walking down the dimly lit stairs, I reached the bottom and flipped on the lights. Seeing the bathroom off in the corner, I headed directly there to take care of my most urgent problem, passing by workbenches full of lab equipment and a refrigerator tucked away in the corner by the bathroom. Having taken care of my most immediate problem, the other issue decided to surge to the forefront and remind me exactly how thirsty I am. Walking over to the refrigerator, I opened it and looked to see if there was something to drink. All kinds of flasks and bottles cluttered the shelves. One appeared to be nothing but water, so I took it out, opened it and sniffed it. It didn’t smell of anything, so I assumed it was water. I took several big gulps and then replaced it inside the refrigerator.

Looking around, I’m amazed by how neat and orderly the room is, considering how messy my parents usually were. Shrugging at the oddity, I think, ‘Well, no one ever said my parents were normal. I suppose I ought to see if they have left yet,’ and head back to the door to check. I lay my ear against the door and after five minutes I still didn’t hear anything, so I decide to take a chance and open the door, ready to slam it closed again if they are still here. Thankfully, they were gone, so I stepped out and closed the door behind me before heading down the hall.

Uncle Eiji had told me before I went back to school that if I had any problems to come to him and he would deal with it. While I didn’t want to bother him, I suppose this qualifies as being beyond my meager abilities to deal with anymore.

As I come across the living room door, I pause looking around, thinking, ‘It shouldn’t be this dark yet’ Then I turn to look at the clock on the living room wall. ‘That’s odd; I must really be tired because I can’t read the clock. Whatever, it should be close to the time for dinner, so I should head over to Chinatsu’s.’

As I turned to head to the front door, I became overwhelmingly dizzy and my stomach cramped hard enough to drop me to my knees from the pain. I asked myself, ‘What the hell is going on?’ As the pain and dizziness continued to get worse, the last thing I remembered seeing was a blurry figure coming through the door before everything went dark.

89