Chapter 140: Circles (Part 1)
578 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 148 is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

[Saturday, September 7th]

Today, I am delving through my closet for something rather cute as well as being comfortable. I just have the feeling that comfort is going to be needed today. I finally settle on a white, spaghetti strap mini dress, ultra sheer, nude stockings with a lace pattern, and my emerald green ankle strap sandals.

Chinatsu choses something similar, only in maroon and her black ankle strap sandals.

Ryu, insert eyeroll here, tries to pick out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. It’s probably needless to say, but Chinatsu put a quick stop to that idea. She picked out and handed him a red dress shirt and dark grey slacks. He grumbled a bit, but he put it on.

That done, I call Honoka and Sofi to tell them we are ready to leave to go pick up Kimi and Ako. They meet us at the landing to our floor and we head downstairs. We pick up Kei and Jim along the way and an hour later, we arrive at Kimi and Ako’s place. Chinatsu and I walk to their door and before we get there, Kimi opens it, standing there with a smile.

She gives us each a hug and then we follow her inside as she leads the way up to her room. Then she pulls a casual yellow dress out of her closet and shows it to us. “I was thinking of this with my black ankle boots for tonight. What do you think?”

I’m not going to say it’s an ugly dress because it’s not. It’s simply not a dress for a first date, nor one that you would wear where we are going. While it’s true this is a teen club, there are several areas to it. Some higher end than others. The one we made reservations at is one of the high end ones.

Trying not to hurt her feelings, I ask, “Umm, it’s okay, but do you have anything a little dressier?”

She shakes her head. “No. Dad always told me that I don’t need anything like that and I should worry about my studies rather than clothes.”

Quirking an eyebrow, I ask, “Oh? I suppose he never thought that clothes can improve someone’s confidence, or that socializing means just as much in education as studying does. After all, it’s not necessarily what you know, it’s who you know that matters. Oh, whatever. Just grab your bag, we’ll go shopping to get you two dresses and heels for tonight.”

“Sora, we don’t have that kind of money.”

I shrug. “Then, it’s a good thing you aren’t being asked to pay for them. Let’s go.”

It’s quite apparent to me that her father has some really strange ideas. I’ve no idea where he gets them either. It’s been over a hundred years since a woman was expected to do everything so she could basically be sold off to a man. Yet, that is what he expects of Kimi and Ako.

In the SUV, I tell Mr.Okami to take us to one of my favorite malls. It takes going through several shops, but we find dresses and heels for them. A fuschia off the shoulder skater dress and black cross strap sandals for Kimi, and a turquoise short sleeve wrap dress with beige pumps for Ako. They both look phenomenal in them and are well worth the price they are asking for them.

I got a look in her closet when we were there and frankly, I was appalled when I saw her ‘wardrobe.’ It isn’t quite as bad as Miyuki’s was, but believe me, it’s bad enough and I plan on helping the two of them expand their wardrobe.

With that in mind, we spend a couple of hours going from shop to shop. Buying a dress or skirt here and a blouse or shoes there as we’d come across things that would look good on them. We bought them quite a bit, but the total for the two of them didn’t even come close to what I spent on Miyuki’s wardrobe alone. I’ve said it before, money means very little to me. Having it does allow me, well, us really, to do the things we’d like without having to worry, but if spending a little makes my friends and family happy, I’m happy to do it.

They kept thanking me until I finally told them that it was no big deal and I was happy to do it for them. Look, I’m not trying to show off her or flaunt my money. I just want my friends to have a good time on their first date and if me buying them a few outfits helps them have that experience, then I am all for it. I also know that I can’t buy everything for my friends that they may need or want, but I’m hoping that when Kimi’s father sees them that he’ll realize his mistake and ease up on the two of them.

Next, we drop off all of the bags at the SUV and then make our way over to Jojoen at the Tokyo Skytree to have lunch. We enjoy a nice leisurely lunch with lots of conversation and an awesome view of the Tokyo skyline.

So far, everyone seems to be having a great time today. Kimi and Ako have been smiling almost non-stop since we picked them up. When the conversation turns to this evening's date, they explain that they never told Kimi’s father about it. Her mother, yes, but she says her father would have flipped out. Then again, maybe he wouldn’t have.

How do I explain… The moment he figured out who we are, his attitude changed, dramatically, and he asked that we be friends. It does make sense from his point of view. After all, we’re a rather prominent family with lots of influence, so, with that aspect of it in mind, Kimi and Ako being friends with us is a good thing.

What I mean by that is look at the circles we move in. My family knows, and are friends with, many of the movers and shakers in Japanese business and finance. So, from his point of view, being around us and us introducing them into our circle of friends would only benefit them. It may sound a little callous thinking about it that way, but it’s pragmatic. Now, you might think I am attributing this line of thought to Kimi and Ako as well, but I’m not. Until her father brought it up, they had no idea who our family really is.

Anyway, lunch is truly enjoyable. Both for the company and the conversation. After we pay for it, we take the elevator down to the lobby and out to the SUV. We drop off Kei and Jim, and tell them we’ll pick them up at 7:00, then make our way to the house. When security stops us at the gate, Kimi and Ako look around, then at us with a confused expression.

Kimi asks, “Where are we?”

Honoka tells them, “This is the main entrance to our house.”

“Your house? This looks more like the entrance to a secure government facility.”

Honoka shrugs. “It is secure. I’m sure you’ve noticed the security that follows us around.” They both nod. “I won’t go into details, but it’s needed since there have been a couple of kidnapping attempts.”

Ako’s eyes widen and she asks, “Really?”

Honoka nods as we continue on our way. “Really. Our parents have gotten a little more… uh, I suppose you could say worried about everything after that.”

Kimi and Ako look a little worried themselves after that revelation, so I tell them, “It’s nothing to fret about, you’re perfectly safe with us. It would literally take an army to get past security.” They nod and seem to relax a little. I change the subject when I ask, “Do you two know how to use makeup?”

They both shake their heads and Kimi says, “No. Father doesn’t allow us to buy any.”

I could see that if they are preteens, but come on, it’s a right of passage for us. They’re 13 not 3. Shaking my head over something I consider to be rather dumb, I ask, “Would you like us to teach you?”

Their smiles tell me all I need to know, but in unison they reply, “Definitely!”

I wish I had thought about this when we were at Tokyo Solamachi. If I had, we could have had a stylist recommend colors for them. Well, I’m sure Mama will be able to help us out in that department.

Mr. Okami stops at the front door. We unload everything and take it inside. Setting it down, we remove our shoes and announce ourselves.

Mama and Dad call out, “Welcome home.”

Kimi and Ako are looking around like they are in a daze, so we’ll just gloss over that little fact and move on.

We pick up the bags and set them down by the stairs. Chinatsu and I give Ryu a kiss and send him home. Then we make our way into the living room where we introduce our parents to Kimi and Ako. Sitting down, they get to know them a little better.

Dad finally asks, “And what do your parents do?”

Kimi replies, “Ako’s not actually my sister, she’s my cousin. Her parents died of the virus when she was 2 and she’s lived with us ever since.”

Mama says, “That was really kind of them.”

Kimi’s face hardens. “I don’t believe it had anything to do with kindness. Ako’s parents left her a considerable sum of money. From what my mother has told me, there’s none of it left.”

Mama and Dad frown, the rest of us right along with them. I can easily see Dad is refraining from saying what he’s thinking, which is probably the same thing I am.

I lean over to Chinatsu to whisper, “Remind me to ask Ako how much they left her. What he did is wrong on so many levels it isn’t funny.”

I know, I’m meddling again, but I can’t stand the thought that he did that to her. That’s her money, using some of it for her as she grows is one thing, or even using it if she had offered it to him like I did mine to Daddy. Regardless, at the very least, he should have invested some of it to pay for her college. I’m not saying I’m going to come right out and offer to replace her money that was taken, but I can help her in some way. Something to talk to Mama and Daddy about and see what they say.

She nods in reply, then Mama suddenly changes the subject when she asks, “So, I understand tonight is you two’s first date. Are you excited?”

I’ve already told her so this is nothing more than getting off an uncomfortable subject.

Kimi and Ako both smile and nod. “Yes we are. We’re really looking forward to it.”

Which reminds me. “Mama, they don’t know how to use makeup. We can teach them, but what colors would look best for them?”

She “Hmm’s” for a moment as she looks them over. “Their coloration is really close, so I’d say a metallic smokey eyeshadow, a light bronze blush, and a crimson, glossy lipstick.”

Their eyes almost glitter in anticipation of wearing it for the first time.

I nod in agreement because I was thinking along the same lines, but better to be sure rather than do it and have to start over because the colors didn’t work for them. “Thanks Mama.” I glance at my watch and see that we need to start our preparations. “We’re going to go bathe and then get ready. See you later.”

We carry everything up to our floor. Chinatsu palms the lock with her free hand and opens the door. Leading the way to our room, Honoka and Sofi set down their bags and then leave. I giggle at Kimi and Ako’s expressions.

We separate their bags and carry them to the rooms they will be using for the weekend. After we hang up their clothes so they don’t wrinkle, we show them around our floor and explain that the 2nd floor is Chinatsu’s and mine and the 3rd floor is Sofi, Honoka and Miyuki’s. Picking up their outfits for the night, we head back to our room to clean up.

We shower, wash our hair and then the four of us climb into the tub to soak and relax for a little while. After we dry off, blow dry and brush our hair. Chinatsu and I quickly put our hair up in a reverse braided messy bun. It’s both cute and somewhat elegant. We talk it over with Ako and Kimi and decide on an updo that exposes their slim necks. Mainly because I have a couple of choker and earring sets that will accentuate their dresses and the updo allows them to show off the jewelry.

Once we have their hair done, we apply their eyeliner, mascara, blush, eyeshadow, lipstick and gloss. After theirs is finished, we have them move so we can apply ours as well.

Back in our room, we dress and I open my jewelry drawer and unlock it. Pulling out a black velvet choker with a single pink diamond along with the matching pink diamond studs, I set it aside as I look for the other one. It’s a platinum and emerald choker with emerald studs. Picking them up, I head back into the room and hand the Emerald set to Chinatsu to put on Ako. Then tell Kimi to turn around, situate the choker around her neck and clasp it. Handing her the earrings, she puts them in.

Once she has, I gesture at the mirror and say, “Take a look.”

She smiles at herself as she turns this way and that, looking herself over. I ask, “Well, what do you think?”

She stops and looks at me. “I never thought I could look like this.”

“You’re very pretty to begin with, so that gives you a hell of a good start. Add a little makeup, a nice outfit, some jewelry and it raises the bar quite a bit.”

She stops and stares at me. “Sora, how can you be so nice to us? Look at how we treated you and your sisters.”

I shrug. “Kimi, everyone makes mistakes. It doesn’t mean that they should have a grudge held against them for the rest of their lives for it. I believe in second chances and you came to me seeking one, so how could I not respond that way? However, that doesn’t mean I will forgive you again if you betray me or my sisters, understand?”

She nods. “Believe me, we won’t.”

“Kimi, I’m not always the best at getting what I mean to come out right and that didn’t sound right. I don’t want followers, nor do I expect your unwavering loyalty to whatever I want. I want friends, not sycophants and we’re allowed to disagree, does that make more sense?”

“It does, but I didn’t think that you meant it that way.”

“Good.” I glance at my watch. “We need to get moving or we’ll be late for our dinner reservations.”

It doesn’t take long to collect everyone and we find Ryu waiting with Mr. Okami when we reach our vehicle.

As always, a huge thank you to all of my Patreons:

Lodur, Bulatt, Jonathan Summerlott, a lee, Shar Scott, Jenny Sittinger, Icewing, Awcher, Miles, Blaze8901, Aster1254, Nikolas Zane, Jordon Gotthold, William Dawson, Mika Wayne Rogall, CoffeeCat, Kuroko, AcPz, Necrotyr, Andrew Meyers, ClamyCupcakes, Rene Gropp, eeleater, Spencer Huston, Terry Carter, Johnie Kirk, Lord Lucifer, Steven Yao, ShadeByTheSea, kirindas, Jessica Clark, Christiine Govinden-Loh, TiwN222

20