Chapter 147: Birthday Girl
597 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last two weeks have gone by in a flash. Not much has happened, but I’ll give you a heads up on a little of it.

After we went inside, we had Ryu come over. His smile when we told him that we would be getting married soon after Chinatsu turned sixteen was something to behold. As much as I wanted him that night, it was an exhausting day for me, so all we did was bathe, cuddle and I quickly fell asleep against him.

Dad sat me down and we had a very long talk about Yakushima. I explained that I want to rebuild the city, housing and all infrastructure so that when Chinatsu and I graduate college we can move TGR and all employees to the island where we would be a lot more secure. Also, we talked about my idea of setting up a PMC to guard the island in addition to the police force. Dad was very much in favor of the idea.

The only problem that I can foresee is getting enough fishermen, farmers and ranchers to move to the island so we don’t have to import the majority of our foodstuffs. I suppose with enough financial incentives it won’t pose an issue. We shall see.

Things have settled down at school. I think people realized what Kimi screamed at them the day they found out I owned TGR. Owning it doesn’t change who I am. Yes, it means I have a lot more money than most, but it doesn’t define who I am.

I did have a long talk with the president of my so-called fan club when I found out they approached Ryu and ‘recommended’ that he call off our engagement. I’ll leave what was said to your imagination, but it’s enough to say that the fan club is no longer around since they found out I wasn’t the ‘pure little princess’ they thought I was.

Kimi, Ako and their now boyfriends have been spending a lot of time with us, both on dates and at the house. I have noticed both of them are a lot more approachable at school. They smile a lot more and are much more pleasant to everyone in general. Seems my guess was right that Kimi’s father was the root for most of that.

We’ve taken Kimi and Ako shopping a couple of times to finish rounding out their wardrobes. Even Kimi’s father has complimented them on how much better they look, although his comment afterward, ‘This will make it a lot easier for you two to land a good man,’ wasn’t needed and irked me to no end. This is the mid 21st century, so why he believes a woman still needs a man to support her is beyond me.

Speaking of their father, Ayuko called me this week and told me he not only did he begin classes at Waseda University, but he seems to be doing quite well in the department. She said he’s quite well liked down there and is very knowledgeable. Saying I was flabbergasted is putting it far too mildly and I had to ask if we’re talking about the same man. I’m glad he’s working out, but I still don’t like him. I will admit that I'm happy that he’s doing as he promised and allowing Kimi and Ako the freedom to date and go out with the proviso that they stay in the top twenty for our grade.

At TGR, we received government approval to adapt the military nanites for our uses and they are funding 90% of the research to incorporate the healing factor and bone strengthening as well, so win-win. Part of the contract agreement, which Mirai and I beat them over the head getting more reasonable terms, is that we’ll own them, but we’re to provide them at cost plus 15%. We also have to find a way to disable them so that when soldiers leave the service they can shut them down. Shutting them down is easy, getting the rest to work together is the issue. Dakota is confident she can solve it in a timely manner. I have to say that I love having someone as smart as she is here. I say that because in the short time she’s been here waiting for approval to start the project we hired her for, she’s solved several problems for other projects we have going on. It was definitely a smart decision to hire her and I’d love to find another dozen or two just like her.

[Monday, Sept 30th]

Mama wakes me up when she touches my cheek. Opening my eyes, I blink them several times as I blearily look around and yawn.

Seeing Mama sitting beside me with Dad standing beside her, I pull the comforter up to make sure I’m covered. We sleep nude most of the time and I most definitely am at the moment. If it was only Mama, I wouldn’t be so worried about it.

Sitting up while holding the covers in place with one hand and brushing my hair out of my face with the other, I ask, “Is something wrong?”

Mama and Dad smile and say, “Happy Birthday, Sora!”

I’m stunned because I totally forgot my birthday was even coming up. Easy to do when you have as many things going on like I do. Mama pulls me in for a hug, holds me for a few moments, and then releases me. When Dad reaches out to do the same, I hold out an arm to stop him.

“Not right now, Daddy. I’m not dressed.”

He chuckles. “Sweetheart, I’ve seen you in your night…” His eyes widen when he notices my bare shoulders and realizes there are no straps for a nightgown. “Oh… Okay.”

Mama thankfully saves us from any embarrassment when she says, “You two need to bathe, dress and come down soon. I’ll have breakfast ready before long.”

“Hold on… You? Not Amane and Asumi?”

She smiles. “Of course. You don’t think I’d let them make one of my daughters birthday breakfasts, do you? Now hurry up.”

She kisses my forehead and they leave. Glancing at the clock, I see it’s 5:30. Early, but not much earlier than we normally get up. Letting go of the covers, I roll over and pull Chinatsu to me. Brushing her hair out of her face, I kiss her tenderly and then murmur, “Time to get up.”

Her eyes flutter open and she smiles. “Good morning birthday girl.” She rolls over on top of me as I giggle and then happily surrender when she kisses me. After she breaks our kiss, she murmurs, “I’d love to continue, but Mom will kill me if we don’t get a move on.”

Once we bathe, style our hair and dress in our school uniforms, we put on our engagement and earrings, then make our way down to the dining room. The moment we enter, the whole family, including Chiaki, Amane and Asumi, shout, “Happy Birthday, Sora!”

I murmur, “Thank you,” to each one as they come over to take turns hugging me.

The final one to hug me is Chinatsu, who quietly says in my ear, “Happy birthday, My Love,” and gives me a quick kiss. I’m all smiles as she leads me to the table to take a seat.

Once I’m seated, Mama and Dad hand me a ebony rectangular box with gold filigree inlay and Dad says, “This is the first of many more presents.”

Smiling happily, I ask, “May I open it?”

They nod and I waste little time opening it to see a black velvet choker inset with a large cushion cut emerald that’s surrounded by square cut rubies.

I’m awed at how gorgeous it is. I run my fingers lightly across it and say, “Oh my! It’s beautiful!” I look back to them. “I absolutely love it!”

Getting up, I walk around to them to give them both a big hug and kiss. Dad says, “We thought you’d like it.”

“I don’t like it, I love it.”

Everyone here knows my propensities when it comes to jewelry. Emeralds are my first choice when it comes to gems because they compliment my hair and eyes. I only wish I could wear it today, but it’s a school day.

Going back around the table, I take my seat again as Amane and Asumi set the serving platters on the table and take their seats. Yes, they eat with us, as long as we don’t have company.

After we eat, Mama takes me to their room, hands me a garment bag and shoe box, takes a seat and then tells me, “Go ahead. Open them.”

Unzipping the bag, I remove a black satin 1950’s style halter top, fit and flare party dress with an emerald green ribbon that ties around the waist. The trim along the top of the bodice and halter straps are the same emerald green. The skirt looks like it'll fall about half-way down my thighs.

You’d think I don’t have as large of a vocabulary as I do when all I can do is say, “Oh my!”

Wide-eyed, I turn to look at Mama and smile. She gestures to the box. “Go on. That one as well.”

Carefully placing the dress back into its garment bag, I zip it up and then kneel down to open the box to find a pair of patent leather, 10 centimeter stiletto heels in emerald green.

Look back up at her, I see her smiling at my reaction. What can I say? I love dressing well and this will look lovely on me.

“That’s your dress and heels for your birthday party tonight.”

Standing up, I give Mama a hug and murmur, “I love it. Thank you.”

She pats my back. “I knew when I saw it that you’d love it. I pay attention to my girls’ preferences. Especially one elegant little girl.”

She’s right though, I love 1950’s style party dresses. The style is elegant without being pretentious. I’ll leave being pompous to those who like that kind of thing.

She laughs when I tell her, “I’m not a little girl. I’m 14 now.”

“Okay, young lady. Take those upstairs, it won’t be long before you girls need to leave for school.

I give her a huge hug this time, a kiss on the cheek, pick them up and head upstairs. As I make my way upstairs, I wonder what stockings to wear with it tonight and finally decide that some silk black stocking in a Chantilly lace pattern would be perfect. I’ll definitely be wearing my new choker as well.

I’m only going to give you the highlights for the day until we get home.

School is the same as usual except for the happy birthday wishes I get from everyone. At first break Muyuki and I head out for our appointments with Airi. We make it back in time for lunch with everyone. It’s hard not to notice that everyone grins as they refuse to answer my questions about the party tonight.

It does answer the question of why everyone except Honoka didn’t go with me last Saturday when I went to TGR. Mirai had called and asked me to come in to look at a few things. At the time, I thought she’d lost her mind as I was positive that everything she wanted me to look at had already been settled. It took a few hours of wading through all of it again before I could go home.

Anyway, after school, we load up and head home. No sooner do we get home and announce ourselves, than Mama intercepts us in the hallway to tell us to go clean up and change for the party.

Upstairs, we head into the bathroom to undress, put on our makeup and style our hair. Chinatsu doesn’t even ask me how I want it styled and takes apart my braid and brushes out my hair. Then she styles it in the half-up, half-down style we used for our wedding ceremony. After I style hers in the messy bun updo she wanted, we go to our closets to get our dresses. You already know what I’ll be wearing, so we’ll skip that.

Chinatsu is dressed in a silk royal blue sheath dress that looks as if it were custom made for her since it hugs her curves perfectly and falls about a third of the way down those delicious thighs of her. Add a thin white belt, glossy nude stockings along with her white 10 centimeter stiletto heels and the only way to describe her is stunningly gorgeous.

She smiles as she walks over, hands me the pendant I bought her, and asks, “Would you put that on for me?” She turns around and I clasp it around her slim neck. “Thank you. Are you ready?”

“Mhmm.”

She takes my hand and we walk downstairs to see Asumi waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs. She leads us out to the patio. As we walk out, all my family and friends are there, along with a couple business people I know rather well.

Who all do I mean? My family, including Ryu, Kei and Jim. Miyuki, Hiroaki, and Hiro. Maki and Kinji. Kimi, Ako, Seiji and Kentaro. Keiko and Yuta. Mayu and Kou. Ami and Aoi, along with two boys that I assume to be their dates. Mayumi and Kazuto. Airi and Mirai are also here. Hayato and Maaya Takeda, and of course, Gentaro and Keiko Imagawa. As you can see, it’s not a huge gathering, but it’s everyone who is close to me.

Anyway, the moment we stepped out, everyone shouts, “Happy Birthday, Sora!”

Smiling happily, I say, “Thank you everyone. I appreciate you helping me celebrate my birthday.”

I don’t think it can get any better until the band that I didn’t even see begins to play a song I absolutely love. Turning to look, my mouth is literally left hanging open when I find it’s my favorite band, Essence, off to our left. A moment later, I squeal and hop around delightedly as I scream, “OH MY GOD! YES!” I have no idea how they were able to hire them to play, but I don’t care either.

Running over, I grab Ryu, drag him back over to Chinatsu, so we can dance. It isn’t long before many others join us. It’s a rather warm evening, so a few songs later, we take a break, and head to our table to join our parents.

Once Chinatsu and I sit down, Ryu asks, “Would you two like something to drink?”

Chinatsu merely nods while I reply, “Yes, please.”

He kisses my cheek and says, “I’ll be right back.”

He leaves and Dad asks, “Are you having a good time?”

“Definitely. How in the world did you manage to get Essence to play for my birthday?”

Dad grins. “Oh, it wasn’t all that hard. I had a friend, who owed me some favors and had a friend that owed him some favors. That kind of thing.”

I giggle. “Whatever. Thank you, I love them.”

Dad almost smirks at me as he replies.“I know you do, that’s why they’re here,” which makes me giggle.

Ryu comes back and sits down between Chinatsu and I, then hands us our drinks. After taking a couple of sips of my drink, I lean over and tell Ryu, “You look very handsome tonight.”

He really does. He’s wearing his dark grey suit, red dress shirt along with a black tie. Kind of a bold look for him, but he looks great.

“Mom picked everything out and told me this is what I was wearing since I had to look my best for you.”

I slip my hand into his and murmur, “Honey, I always love the way you look, in or out of clothes,” which, of course, makes him blush and me giggle since I got exactly what I was after.

A few minutes later, Mama gestures for me to follow her and leads me over to the central table where my cake and Dad are. Dad lets loose a piercing whistle to get everyone's attention. While Amane and Asumi are busily handing out glasses of champagne to everyone, Dad begins to speak.

“We want to thank everyone for helping us celebrate Sora’s 14th birthday. 14. It’s simply a number, but in Sora’s case, it’s something we hardly ever think about. As the famous Jack Benny once said, ‘Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.’ She has proven time and time again just how true it is that age doesn’t matter.

“As you know, Sora hasn’t been part of our family for very long, but we are so proud to be able to call her our daughter. As tragic as the incident was that brought her to us, we’re extremely grateful to her mother and father for bringing such a special child into this world.

“In this time of her life when it should be all about boys, school and friends, she does so much more. She has a passion to achieve, to take on the impossible and make it possible, and never backs down from any challenge she faces. That passion is what changes the lives of the people around her and makes it better. It drives her to do and be better every day.”

He shakes his head and smiles. “Just like the day she told me that Chinatsu and her were engaged to Ryu. All I could think was you’re still little girls, but she talked me right into a corner. She showed me in no uncertain terms how it was a good thing, regardless of their age. If you’ve ever argued with Sora, you’ll understand.”

Several people chuckle at his statement while I simply smile at him. “Sora's passion extends far beyond her goals. She’s always there for her family and friends. To defend them, to lend an ear or a shoulder to cry on. When we adopted her, we would have never guessed that she would be one of the most caring people we would ever meet in our lives.”

Amane finally makes her way to us and hands the three of us a glass of champagne. I glance at Mama and she mouths, ‘It’s alright.’

“I’m sure if you asked her, she would tell you just how special you all have made this day for her. We’re honored to be able to call her our daughter and that all of you joined us so that we could celebrate this special day with her. Thank you again for coming.”

Dad looks at me as he holds up his glass of champagne. “Sora, promise me that you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you think, and you have the ability to achieve whatever you desire. Happy birthday, my precious daughter! You are loved today, tomorrow, and always. May all of your birthdays be as bright as your smile, as warm as your heart, and as beautiful as you are. Kanpai!”

Everyone raises their glasses and says, “Kanpai!”

I have tears in my eyes when I touch my glass with Mama and Dad, then take a sip from my glass and smile at everyone. Thankfully, I now use waterproof mascara and eyeliner or I would look like a Tanuki.

Mama picks up a napkin and dabs away my tears. “Happy birthday, Sweetheart. Today is special, so you can have two glasses of champagne, but no more than that though, alright?”

“Okay.”

“Now go have fun.”

Tonight is a whirlwind of giggling, dancing and generally having a great time for me. Although, at one point, I’m taking a breather and walking along the path around the pool when Gen and Keiko come over. “Happy birthday again, Sora.”

“Thank you.”

“I don’t really want to bring up business on such a special day…”

I interrupt him to say, “Then don’t.” I have to fight not to laugh at his expression. A few seconds later, I smile impishly and say, “I’m kidding, Gen. How can I help you?”

“Your father mentioned that you are going to be rebuilding Yakushima.” I nod. “You also own a construction company, but they don’t do heavy construction.”

“I’m aware.”

“I own a heavy construction company and it would be an honor if you would consider them when making your decision on who to hire.”

“Do you want the contracts?”

“Of course I'd like to have them. My people are excellent, but heavy construction contracts don’t come around as often as I’d like. I hate laying people off, but...” He shrugs.

Reaching out, I place my hand on his forearm and smile as I tell him, “Then, they’re yours. It’s going to be several years worth of work.”

He looks surprised when he asks, “That’s it?”

“That’s it. Gen, I trust you, so I believe you when you say they can do the job. Why take a chance with someone I don’t know?”

He smiles. “Thank you, Sora. We won’t let you down.”

“I know you won’t.” A thought occurs to me. “Gen, I do have one requirement though.” He nods and gestures for me to continue. “From this point on, if they need to hire new people, both financial and background checks are to be run on them. I think you can understand why I want this.”

“I do, and I promise it’ll be done.”

“Thank you. If that’s all, I’m going to head back to the party now.”

“Certainly, Sora. Enjoy your evening.”

And I definitely do enjoy it. Especially all the wonderful presents I’m given. The party breaks up at 10:00 and everyone heads home. Ryu takes my hand and begins to lead me inside when I stop and ask, “Where’s Chinatsu?”

“She’s staying in another room tonight, she said she is giving us the night alone as another present to you.”

All I can do is smile as he leads me upstairs to our room and undresses me.

14