Chapter 185: Adult
734 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 187 is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

[Saturday, September 30]

Today, as you know, is my 18th birthday, so that makes it a little special since I’m now officially an adult. In a way, I still find it somewhat humorous that chronologically, I’m 18, but biologically, I haven’t even aged 6 weeks, so I’m 13 years and 7 months old. Although I am taller and slightly heavier now. I’m right at 157 centimeters tall and 54 kilograms. Thankfully, my other measurements haven’t changed a single millimeter.

Today’s also the day when Anne and George will be stepping down as my regents. That doesn’t mean that they won’t be helping me anymore, just that they will be focusing on their other positions. Anne is my Minister of the Treasury, and George is my Minister of Oversight. They are much too valuable for me to lose their experience. Not to mention that they are also family as far I’m concerned.

Last week, the tailors took Chinatsu and me aside and took our measurements, then the stylists designed gowns for each of us. I believe they surpassed anything they’ve ever designed for us this time. They made me a white gown that feathers into a forest green on the skirt, and Chinatsu’s is white that feathers into Fuschia. They are in a mermaid style with a slit up the front over our left leg that goes up to mid-thigh, off-the-shoulder with small cap sleeves and a loosely pleated skirt. It shows quite a bit of cleavage. They’re rather sexy, and we love them.

They pair them with ultra-sheer nude stockings and silver ankle-strap sandals with a stiletto heel for me. For Chinatsu, they chose ultra-sheer nude stockings and white ankle-strap sandals with a stiletto heel. Both of them have a taller heel than we’ve ever worn before, 13 centimeters, or 5 inches for those of you who aren’t used to the metric system yet.

Then our stylists put our hair up in braided french twists and apply our makeup, which takes quite a while to do considering the length of our hair. After that, they lead us into the bedroom and help us dress. Panties, without a bra, since our gowns have built-in support, and then we wiggle our way into our form-fitting gowns. Then comes jewelry: platinum chokers, our wedding rings, dangled platinum and diamond earrings, and lastly, for me, my circlet.

We make our way down the stairs and see Jason and Igor waiting for us. Everyone else is already at the ballroom, including Ryu.

They smile as we descend the stairs, and Jason says, “Wow!” then shakes his head. “There are no words to describe how gorgeous you two are.” Igor never says much, but he does nod in agreement.

“Thank you,” we reply with a smile and a small curtsy.

They lead us out to the SUV, open the door and help us inside. Trust me, it’s not easy to climb into an SUV while wearing this kind of gown. It’s a short trip to the Crown Ballroom, then Jason helps us out of the vehicle. I take Jason’s arm as Chinatsu takes Igor’s, and they escort us inside. We find Akari waiting with our little sisters, Kaede and Eri, who are waiting to walk me to the stage. They’re absolutely adorable in their matching navy-blue, knee-length gowns and sandals with their hair piled up in a braided updo.

Bending down, I kiss their cheeks and tell them, “Thanks for helping out tonight. Now, I won’t get lost trying to find the stage.”

Smiles light up their faces, and they giggle.

Yui is emceeing the event tonight. She taps the microphone to get everyone’s attention. Once the chatter dies down, she announces, “Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. As you know, tonight is very special. Not only because it’s the Queen’s birthday, but it’s also a rather special one for her, Her Majesty’s 18th birthday. Ladies and Gentlemen, please rise to welcome Her Majesty, Queen Sora.”

And that’s our cue. Kaede and Eri each take one of my hands and lead me inside as Chinatsu trails slightly behind us. I smile and nod to people as they curtsy or bow when we slowly walk past them. Soon enough, we reach the stage, then Mama takes Kaede and Eri to seat them as Ryu seats Chinatsu and me, then he returns to his seat.

None of us have seen the gown that the stylists have designed for Mama tonight, but I have to say she’s elegant and breathtakingly beautiful in it. It’s a jewel-neckline, azure-blue, floor-length column gown with a small train. A little racier than Mama usually dresses, but at the same time, it’s very chic. I need to remind myself to give our stylists and tailors a raise and thank them for their outstanding work.

Once she has the twins seated, she walks over to take the microphone from Yui.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I would first like to thank you all for coming to our daughter’s 18th birthday party this evening. Now, about a week ago, her father and I were asked for one of us to give a short speech tonight. Believe it or not, there was a rather heated discussion about who would give it. As you can see, I won the discussion.”

The room erupts in laughter.

“Even so, I was still a bit nervous. Not because I had to give a speech at her birthday party, but due to the fact I now had to come up with something to say.

“So, my second thank you goes out to my husband, Eiji, for graciously helping me. As we sat down to write my speech, we wrote it and re-wrote it. Then we had to make a few more adjustments to it to shorten it. We even had Michael check it over, then I edited and re-wrote it again.

“Sora is now 18, a milestone in her life, and in ours as her parents. I’ve seen her grow from the beautiful, small and fragile child we adopted, to become the strong, independent, and graceful woman she is now.

“Although, as smart and beautiful as she is, she’s worried us more a few times over the years with the choices she’s made. Most of the time, it was because we were concerned that if she failed, it would discourage her. Thankfully, that has yet to happen, and her father and I doubt she ever will fail, or even if she does, that she’ll allow failure to defeat her. Brave, strong, and resolute, are just a few adjectives that describe our Sora. We wish her success in whatever she chooses to do next, although I hardly think it’s necessary.

“Sora has brought more into our lives than we could have ever expected. I’m quite sure that many of you can and would say the same thing. She truly has filled our lives with happiness that cannot be measured by any scale. She’s shown us more love than we knew possible, and she’s damn sure made us the happiest parents that there are, so thank you.

“I hope that your children will bring you as much happiness as you have brought to us.

“Sora, remember this: Be happy, and reach for the universe, because even if you miss, you’ll land amongst the stars, and be the brightest one we can see.

“Please, always remember, no matter where your father and I are, we love you. I hope everyone enjoys this evening. Thank you.”

Everyone claps as Mama returns the microphone to Yui and makes her way back to her seat.

“Thank you, Lady Kobayashi. Before we proceed with tonight’s festivities, may I again present Her Majesty, the Queen.”

Standing up, I walk over to her and take the microphone.

“Good everyone, everyone. To begin with, I’d like to thank everyone for attending and welcome the many citizens of the Sol system that are virtually attending tonight. As you’ve no doubt noticed, we’ve done something a little different this time. We have installed 3D cameras throughout the venue so that you can feel as if you are actually here. I thank the citizens that suggested it to Yui so that you may better enjoy the parties and events that we have to attend from now on.

“We’ve come a long way since I became Queen almost two years ago, although, to me, it seems as if it were merely yesterday. Our commonwealth has grown to the point that only one nation still stands alone. I doubt I need to mention who it is. We’re delving ever deeper into space as we expand our horizons. We have a base on the Moon, although I’d more define it as the beginnings of a colony. Our solar system is abounding with privately-owned ships collecting the resources that we need. Though, we still have far to go and much to do before we can tame our solar system.

“I thank each and every one of you for supporting our efforts as we take each small step into a much larger, brighter future for all of us.

“Soon, we shall…” Several people yelling near the entrance interrupts me, and Jason and Igor come out of the wings and stand in front of me. Moving the microphone, I quietly ask, “What’s going on?”

Jason looks over his shoulder at me and says, “Bao Huang is here and is demanding to speak to you.”

I growl out a sigh of exasperation. “Fine,” I say grumpily and think, ‘This had better be worth him interrupting my party.’

Jason murmurs into his lapel mic, and two other Queen’s guardsmen escort him up to me. I stare at him balefully as I wait for him to speak.

He bows down almost 90°, clears his throat, and says, “I beg Your Majesty’s indulgence for a moment of your time.” Someone must have turned the gain of the mic up because his words echo throughout the room.

Humility? From him? Whatever. “You may speak.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty. I most humbly beg Your Majesty’s forgiveness for what I and my government have done.”

“And, what did you do? Be specific,” I demand harshly. I can’t help it, I detest this man and everything he stands for.

His face flushes, but he states, “I ordered our military to abduct you and then President Wilson.”

I nod. “You were brave enough to present yourself before me and ask for pardon, so in the same vein, I will accept your apology and extend my leniency to you. You are forgiven.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty. May we speak about China’s admittance to the commonwealth?”

“Not now, not tonight. We’ll talk about that tomorrow, but for now, you are welcome to join my birthday party.” I move the mic behind me and lean toward him to whisper, “Behave yourself this evening, and enjoy the party.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty, I will do as you instruct.”

Things must be out of control in China for him to act this meekly. Jason and Igor escort him off the stage, and I raise the mic again, smile, and state, “That was certainly unexpected. Well, what do you say that we dispense with the speeches and get right to the festivities?”

[Sunday, October 1]

Teresa wakes me up at 6 this morning. I quietly get out of bed, shower, style my hair, apply my makeup, and finally, dress in a mint-green mock-neck long-sleeve midi-dress that falls to mid-calf, bright yellow stockings, and pick up my sunflower-yellow heels. Walking over to the bed, I kiss Ryu and Chinatsu on their foreheads and head downstairs to eat.

As is usual during the week, Akari joins me for breakfast, although this morning, Yui, Jenny, Anne, George, Jason, Sun-Jae Song, the Minister of Agriculture, and Zoya Kirilenko, Minister of Intelligence, join us as well since we discuss my schedule for the day. Although we’re placing that on hold for the moment because of Bao Huang coming this morning.

“Good morning,” I tell them as I take my seat at the head of the table.

“Good morning,” they reply.

I dive right into it, as Amara, one of the maids, places our breakfast in front of us. “Zoya, what is happening in China?”

“It’s complete chaos there. There’s rioting in virtually every city. The government tried to use the military to quell them, but the number of desertions made that impossible, and the police are generally hiding out.” She shrugs. “As I said, chaos. Our analysts conservatively estimate that there are thousands dead already. The government has lost any semblance of control, so anarchy reigns there. Mostly, it’s over food shortages and unemployment. People are literally starving to death on a scale we haven’t seen since their last famine in 2031.”

“Sun-Jae, how much assistance can we provide?”

“Going by last fiscal year’s agriculture reports, any amount you want. We’re only limited by transportation.”

“Jason, get the military ready because it’s going to be moving massive amounts of aid if the meeting goes like I think it will. He doesn’t have much choice from what I can see.”

“Of course,” he replies. “We’ll need to provide security for them.”

I nod giving approval. “Do what you think is best, but if something happens, try to make our response non-lethal, if possible.”

“I’ll have them use the stun rounds, but if push comes to shove, I’m going to authorize lethal force. I don’t want my people getting killed to help them.”

“I don’t either, Jason. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Jenny, would you ask Mark to get the other disaster relief agencies involved? We’ll deploy troops to keep them safe.”

“Of course.”

“Thank you. Yui, prepare an announcement that I can make to the Chinese people. I want to tell them that we’re coming to help and that they shouldn’t interfere.”

“Of course, I’ll have something prepared by lunchtime.”

“Thank you. People, it’s going to be a busy day for all of us, and I want you to keep me apprised of any developments. Now, let’s eat since we’re going to need all the energy we can get today.”

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

I’m sitting in my office sipping some coffee when Akari comes in and announces, “Bao Huang is here.”

“Show him in.”

She shows him in and closes the door behind him. “Good morning, Mr. Huang, have a seat.” I gesture to the loveseat across from me.

He bows. “Good morning. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice, Your Majesty,” he says and sits down.

“So?” I ask.

“Conditions have deteriorated considerably in China, and our government has little to no control of the situation. The few government officials that haven’t been killed are in hiding. So, as the last remaining representative, I wish to ask that China be allowed to join the commonwealth as well as request assistance so that we can feed the people.”

“You do realize what asking for admittance means?”

“I do, Your Majesty.”

“Spell it out for me so that I am sure that you understand.”

“China will be submitting to your rule, although we are allowed to have local governments to administer the provinces.”

“Good. Congress will have to approve your membership, but I will tentatively approve it as well as recommend admittance. I will also have the Commonwealth military and disaster relief organizations begin relief efforts immediately. They are not to be interfered with, understood?”

“Of course, Your Majesty.”

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

13