Chapter 4: Driven to a Corner. Mentors.
230 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I said, don’t move . . .”

One of the Squad leaders, who had overstepped, caused the Jangero to snarl out and close in on their General. 

“Damnnn Beast!!” He halted, cussed out, and grit his teeth like the rest. 

“General . . . is Mason . . .” 

Though the action was hard to see from their view, Commander Nicola and some of the other Vanquishers managed to get a glimpse of their General shake his head. 

The revelation caused the spirits of the Vanquishers to be dragged further down the hellhole. 

Mason’s party members knew this would become the outcome before they had reached their General. But they just didn’t believe it in spite of that HP bar reaching 0. 

When one’s HP went to 0, it would become blank. This didn’t guarantee death, but it often entailed somebody to be in a critical condition. 

In matches like Person vs Person or Party vs Party, both referred to as PVP, it would also become blank. However most of the time, it meant that that person could no longer participate in the match. There would be a message notifying everyone too. 

But, if that blank bar was filled black, no matter what circumstances it was . . .

Death was certain. 

“It’s black . . .” one of Mason’s party members whispered. 

The Vanquishers didn’t need the confirmation, but it set in stone the reality of what had happened 

“Mason!!”

Storming in with tears on his face was a slightly chubby tall Vanquisher. When they saw him arrive at the scene, a good majority of them subconsciously turned their heads down.

In front of him were a lot of shocking things, but there was only one thing that his eyes had processed.

That was the body of the Mason. 

Two large, blood drenched hollows reaching from one side to the other. Sizes spanning wider than the beast’s horns as though it had been forcefully stretched and torn apart. 

And then what came out of his mouth was not the shout of Mason, but the sorrowful wail—

“BROTHERRRRRRR!!!”

Blinded in the depths of despair, he blindly ran to his dead brother’s side. Vanquishers in his path were pushed aside. 

“Restrain him!” Commander Sonnia shouted at haste. 

She and many others had seen this tragedy far too much. But what had happened to Mason was a tragedy among tragedies. Of course, this did not mean she could stand there and watch him aggravate the beast.

“Calm down Ryan! The beast! The Jangero! Look in front of you!”

“Ryan please regain control of yourself!”

Two Vanquishers quickly intercepted and blocked Ryan’s path, each taking a side. They were quite strong as they were able to prevent him from moving further.

“Fuck off!” 

However, the two Vanquishers didn’t expect to actually get attacked back by their own ally. Each of them felt their cheeks get hammered by a heavy punch, flinging them aside. 

It was so unexpected that many of the Vanquishers fell back into stupor.

Key word was many. 

Commander Nicola was not one of the many. 

At the moment when Ryan had reached to the front, Commander Nicola swung at not his mace but rather his heavy enchanted shield. The shield gleamed with a vivid deep blue light, and Ryan was swatted away by a powerful force.

Although the shield dealt a hefty blow, it did not do much to hurt Ryan. Physically at least. The knockdown smacked some sense into him. In a grovelling manner, laying flat on the floor, Ryan resumed sobbing. Dull eyes, staring at his brother’s corpse.

“Have you calmed down a little?” Commander Sonnia asked, sternly. The tone of her voice was softened. 

There were only sobs filled in the silence.

“Commander . . . I don’t think he will be able to . . .”

“Aidan. Look over him.” 

“Ah, um . . .  yes commander.” Obediently, Vanquisher Aidan made way to watch over the despondent Vanquisher, but that was when . . .

“That beast!!”

“Don’t you dare!”

“Get away from our General!”

All the Vanquishers suddenly raised their voices and clamoured into a great panic. 

The light in the room had suddenly turned brighter by the second as white energy began to gather between the horns of the Jangero to form a lightning sphere. Their eardrums stung from being up close to the cracking and sizzling noises. 

It was forming slowly, but the Vanquishers did not make a move.

Rather, they could not do so.

Underneath the furry two front legs of the Jangero was their General. 

Face twisted in pain, leaking out groans from the increased pressure from the leg. Balled up and protecting the child from taking any sort of harm. In fact, the child could not be seen at all. The blood seeping out from the General’s head was cascading down in canals.

ROAARRR!

Jutting out its chins high, it looked down on the humans with a fiery, enraged gaze. The oppressive might was more than adequate to scare off the courageous ones and those of foolish thought to stand still. 

Commander Sonnia knew that the situation was worsening. The longer they prolonged their indecision, the lower the chances of saving their General will be.

“Everyone we don’t have a moment to lose! It’s either now or never! The beast’s mana reserve is definitely at its limit, and its condition will not hold out longer.” Narrowing her brows to swords, she shouted, “Char—”

“Hold up! Commander Sonnia!” Commander Nicola interjected, cutting her off.

“Nicola! We cannot hesitate any longer!” 

“Are you sane? Do you want our General to be killed?!” he roared. 

“Killed? You know damn well that this beast has no other option left. If we let it continue longer, who knows how many casualties we will suffer. Remember what happened at the southeast coast!” Sizing him up, she roared back with a ferocity of a tiger. “And more importantly, the fate of our General’s life!!” 

Commander Nicola was briefly stunned from her intimidating appearance. But he soon recovered and retorted coldly, “And what happens if the beast decides to immediately kill him when we rush in? Then what?!” Thrusting his mace down as he leaned in a bit, he questioned, “Are you willing to take responsibility?”

Those last words were meant to help her change her mind. And were not actually used as an insinuation. After all, these two were close comrades that worked directly under General Zelgius. They knew much about how each other were. 

However . . .

“Nicola . . .” Her tiger expression mellowed, replaced with a frigid cold look. Anger exuded out from her eyes. “I had no idea that this is what you are actually like.”

“This is really bad!! Look at the horns!! The beast is trying to take us all down with it!”

After that voice was said, Vanquishers yet to see the change darted their eyes to the horns. 

One of its proud grooved, striped, black horns had begun to spread and web out cracks. Blood could be seen pouring out in rivulets on the surface of where the horn protruded out. 

It was unknown if this was because the forming lightning sphere was exceeding what the beast was capable of firing. Or, if this was because of the beast’s debilitated state.

“CHARGE!” 

Without caring or looking at the response of her order, Commander Sonnia charged. 

Behind her back, came waves of Vanquishers. 

The Jangero snarled through its gritted jaws and prepared itself to let loose the final flare of its life. 

Locking onto the middle of the field, the Jangero slightly moved its head. 

ROAAARRRR!!

BOOOM!!

The wooden house quaked and crumbled.

Chunks of compacted dirt, wood, and household furnitures exploded up into the air, creating a large but dense cloud that made it impossible for anybody to see what was happening. And the sheer power forced all Vanquishers to a halt and be pushed back in their tracks. 

Those in charge of deploying protective barriers and the like instinctively closed their eyes. Both them and allies nearby felt the force of the blast and heaps of dirt slam into them. A number of unprotected Vanquishers had fallen to the ground. 

Yet for some reason the Vanquishers, whether it was those that had suffered recoil from tanking through their various means or those knocked down from the blast, were not subject to any injuries at all!

They stared in a daze.

They were confused.

They didn’t think.

Their focus was all towards waiting for the erupted debris to subside. 

In a matter of a few breaths, they could scarcely see the outline of a huge figure. 

There was no doubt that was the figure of the terrifying Jangero.

But then who was that other figure?

WHOOSH!

A powerful breeze swept across, slicing the heaved up dirt-filled cloud perfectly in half. 

In that fraction of a moment the keen eyes, along with what everyone saw, captured a long silver shimmering object sweep by. While the majority saw a shining golden arced-blade and two red glints skim past. Two red glints through the sockets of what likely appeared to be a human skull.

And from the open curtains, sun rays radiating down, they saw. 

The terrifying beast utterly slumped on the ground, two heads deeply buried into the floor, bleeding profusely from having its two large forelegs disembodied. Covered and gently hooked behind the upper proportions of the necks, exposed to the surface, poised a deadly golden arced-blade. And at the heel of the weapon, a grey human skull. 

Holding this weapon was a stout man. He wore a magnificent golden white vestment, embroidered in divine inscriptions and holy embellishments, over a suit of light knightly armour.     

On his wide back held over his girthy shoulders was their admired General. And tucked right by his side was the little boy. He smiled warmly as he caressed the little boy’s head. 

Everyone felt their hearts become lifted out with all of their worries. Delighted expressions bloomed across their faces. Some even dropped their weapons down on the ground as they knew everything was going to be okay now.

Simultaneously, the Vanquishers uproared into delightful cheers of celebration.

“Apostle Wrau!!!” 

The Apostle of Vanquish. 

Number 1 strongest man of combat from the Head Church of Zetral. 

Others would feel a chill run across the back of their necks when they spoke of his other renowned name:

Holy Reaper. 

 

***

 

Two weeks have passed since the Jangero incident. Yet, for many people present during then, it was still a vivid nightmare that won’t be erased anytime soon. 

The most conspicuous consequence to come was that the security of the Missionary Church of Vanquish was strengthened to ensure fewer mishaps and ease anxious residents. 

Unbeknownst to them, for Dalis and other combat-oriented orphans, there were going to be substantial changes to their nurturing. 

On another note, there were suspicions about what happened. Yet, there were no rumours floating around about a potential third-party orchestrating the incident . . .

"Looks like Sister Edna's children have arrived," a young woman said. 

"Cool, we can get our teachings out of the way," replied the young man aside from her.

"Halio, if you keep up that attitude I'm gonna be leaving you behind." 

"Heyyy we are buddies. You don't gotta be like that."

The young woman gave a deep sigh. She had hoped that even if he wasn’t present during the Jangero incident, his attitude would have some sort of change. Unfortunately, he was still the lazy sleaze he was. 

These two were volunteer teachers: Halio Garyson and Karen Miller. 

They are official soldiers-in-training who have volunteered to impart their knowledge, regardless of what it is, unto the children of the Orphanage. 

Usually, they spend the majority of their time teaching students general self-defence knowledge, basic outdoor survival, and vanquish techniques. 

After a year of service, they will be promoted to become official Vanquishers. Once Vanquishers, they will fight in the frontlines around the borders of the Land of Demons. 

"Sister Edna's children, today will be a rough day. I hope you all are ready to go as it's going to be difficult," Karen shouted to the group.

"Group battles?" Steffanie asked.

"Correct kid, but it ain't gonna be you kids messing around with each other." Halio laughed before putting on a serious expression. "You will be facing us."

"Oh?" Dalis let out a voice of slight surprise. It sounded more like an ‘Ah’ as though it had met his expectations. 

"Facing teacher Halio and teacher Karen?" Allen questioned.

"Ah . . . we are screwed." Elliot lamented. 

"You guys are joking right?" Jessica cried out in disbelief. 

The children let out cries and shouts of misbeliefs. Although some seemed eager to take on the challenge, the vast majority of them were anxious.

"Settle down everyone.” Her voice caused the children’s chatter to end and to look up to her. “I know that you're all used to training against those mechanisms, peers and likewise. However, this would be a great opportunity to display and apply the skills you have been taught in this orphanage.” She paused briefly, and then resumed her speech with a strengthened seriousness in her tone. 

“Many of you have been taking it easy, but I am glad that since that unfortunate incident . . . some of you have decided to take your training more seriously. However you all are underestimating what it truly means to become a part of the Vanquishers. We are not even Vanquishers yet, and most of you have your tails between your legs.”

Halio jutted his chin up and proudly followed up. "The chick is right on, grow some balls and man up."

Bam!

"Uggghhh . . . "   

A groaning sound can be heard.

"Damn gurl, it's gonna take a lot more than that to make me budge. I didn't even feel a sweat."

Yet, a groaning sound was clearly heard.

"Hey. If you are not going to take this seriously, you can continue all you want. Stilla could I have you do a special job for me?" Karen said with a very sweet voice.

"Hm? Okayy, I happen to be good at this."

Her words seemed to have sent a cold breeze to sweep over the class; everyone became a little tense.

Melvin, in particular, seemed to have turned his face away from the scene as if he recalled some particular memories. Even Dalis was surprised that he himself, slightly shuddered after those words were spoken by Stilla.

"A’ight ai’ght, I give I give," Halio said in a panic as he waved his hands back and forth. 

"Alright enough games, it's time to get to business. I want all of you to get your usual weapons and head to the Training Grounds in ten minutes. Got that? Oh yeah, also. You may bring some light armour if you would like," Karen declared.

 

***

 

"Okay you all.” Karen clapped her hands in attention. “I want you guys to party into groups of three. My heads up to you children is to get into your usual three for this training." 

The children took heed of her advice and went to their respective groups without hassle, partying up through the System.

"Let's do it together guys," Stilla sternly said as she circled in between Dalis and Melvin. She put an arm out in the middle, palm faced downwards. 

Noticing that the two were not going along with the usual procedure, she grabbed Dalis's arm with her spare arm and placed his hand on top of hers. Then she repeated the same action to Melvin.

"You guys, don't need to be so stubborn. It's not embarrassing, you know!" Stilla pouted with indignation. 

"That is not the issue. The issue is having my hand touched by that piece of trash," Dalis blatantly said, disgusted.

"Ohhh? To think I would have something in common with an insect? That's fresh news to me," expressed Melvin with a haughty smile. 

"Why don't you guys ever start it yourselves?! Then I can be in the middle, so there won't be any fights that breakout! Jeez, always having to make this big sister force you two," Stilla cried her discontent.

The two did not reply. 

Dalis couldn't imagine himself initiating such a task.

Melvin was, in truth, too embarrassed to initiate an act that was unbefitting for his status. Even though he would always ‘reluctantly’ join in.

After a few seconds, Stilla removed her arm which was followed by Dalis and then Melvin.

Karen called out to the battle-ready children. "It appears you have all formed your groups. Good. We will have a ten-minute group rotation battle. As there are fifteen of you, Halio and I will be each taking on a group. Once you have finished facing one of us, you can either take a small break and then head back to the Training Facility. Or, you may watch your peers spar and try to learn something from them. The rest of you waiting . . . just watch carefully." 

Resting his hands behind his head, Halio explained how to win. "The victory condition for ya guys and girls is simple. Y’all just need to make me move at least a half a step. While for the lass, make her move at least two steps."

Karen affirmed the conditions with a nod. 

"Wait . . . wouldn't it mean that whichever group gets Halio, they would have an easier time?" a student asked.

"No. I will be using a basic vanquisher lessor artefact weapon. While Halio will be using his own weapon. Besides, I'd hate to admit it but . . . Halio is probably stronger than me; therefore, these conditions are fair."

"WHAT!!" 

Sister Edna's students cried in disbelief.

"Even with these conditions . . . Halio would probably be tougher . . . " Elliot said anxiously.

"You think so? How hard could half a step be, especially if he's being attacked by three at the same time," Jessica retorted.

"Alright enough chatter, Edna's children. We will begin in a moment's time." Karen shut down their voices. 

. . . 

. . . 

Karen and Halio separated from the group of children. They made sure to allocate enough space for the upcoming fights. 

"Koji Itou, Steffanie Stratis, and Allen you will be facing me," Karen announced.

"Sienna Galatas, Elliot Gonce, and Jessica ya better be ready," Halio yawned.

"Aiii, we're up first!" Allen complained in a pained manner. But he didn’t look so at all.

"Don't worry I'm sure our teachers will be easy on us since we are the first group up besides Jessica's," Steffanie said in a slightly confident tone.

"Let's not take things lightly." Koji's low but stern tone rang out. 

"Haha Halio that arse! Always picking the group with more women," Jessica irritably said, raising a fist. She was ready to do what Stilla didn’t do. 

"Let's not get too worked up," Elliot said as he tried to placate the ticked off Jessica.

"Time to show him what we girls are made of," Sienna said, a little pumped up.

"Ah . . . you are forgetting that I'm a guy . . . " Elliot cried out, disheartened. 

The groups walked towards their respective teachers. 

Then, they each briefly had a group discussion to figure out a plan to defeat their powerful opponents. 

Though they looked rather fine, they were anxious.

The children were up against their self-defence mentors. They have taught them how to brawl, survive, and use weapons.

However, that was not all.

In their eyes, they were considered to be the top of the batch, already eligible to become Vanquishers. 

After all, not anyone could become a Vanquisher. It wasn't simply them being posted as guards to defend the Church of Vanquish.  

"Ready Karen? We may be your students, but we won't go easy on you," Allen declared. 

"Cheeky brat, you took the words out of my mouth," Karen replied.

 

Announcement
The earliest parts of the story will be somewhat in a rush. So pacing is jumpy >_< As you can see, we jumped straight into a time skip. I will be forsaking the least important character interactions and developments for plot progression. Unless I think there needs to be a showing. I hope this is okay!
12