Chapter 22: Sleeping together
118 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

We managed to hit Trending 4 times!! clear.pngclear.pngclear.png Thank you all for the support!  clear.png After I survive my Uni Hell moments, I will start writing the special chapter and plan things for that. In the mean time, I will be posting regular chapters~ clear.png

The night was long, and the stars where they slept were hidden by the clouds, dusking. But the flickering of the flames were plentiful, still a kindle and diffusing the pleasant traces of their well-deserved meal. 

Dalis was vigilant in his nightwatch and maintained his senses to linger across the nearby hill. He had volunteered to be the first for lookout as he wanted to let the girls rest first. It was almost time for him to wake up Jessica, but he was unable to feel at ease in letting them take his place.

Do I not trust them? 

When he pondered for a while longer, he soon came to the conclusion that it was more of a matter of being worried. 

However, Dalis’s cautious personality aside, it was arguably a matter of trust in the end. 

He turned his head to the right and saw Jessica’s body quietly bob up and down, fast asleep. 

" . . . "

As for why they chose to nestle close together, it was because the night was cold, and they did not rely on the campfire for heating. It would be disastrous if a mishap was to arise if the one tasked at night watch had accidently fallen asleep. That’s why the fire created was much less fueled than before. 

Furthermore, they had learnt as part of their survival training that body warmth was in fact much more effective as a source of heating. Since they had no survival tools or skills to use for this situation, it made much more sense to rely on this. 

Naturally, this did not mean that they were comfortable with it. After all, it involved the mingling of genders. Though Sienna, who had proposed this, had swiftly fallen asleep in no time after they had settled down. 

This had led to an awkward bickering between Dalis and Jessica until the toll on her body drowsed her into slumber.

“Wake up, it’s your turn,” Dalis whispered.

After a few calls from Dalis, she woke up in the middle of Dalis preparing to put his eyes to rest.

There was essentially no delay in their switch. 

It was too quick that a frown had emerged on her face thinking that Dalis simply did not want to bother exchanging words with her.

—And she was exactly right.

If it weren’t for all of the things that happened tonight, then Jessica wouldn’t have let Dalis enter into dreamland without some effort on his part. 

 

***

 

" . . . "

Although his eyes had continued to remain closed and unmoved, they were starting to twitch in annoyance. 

He found it difficult to fall asleep. Even with his fatigued body. 

The reason was due to the girls laying besides his sides. 

Now that his vigilance had decreased substantially, he was forced to confront and be conscious of the reality of having two girls intimately be next to him.

For the average, young adolescent boy, being in this situation was unbearably hormone-driving to the point of being uncomfortable, yet a great bliss. Having the privilege to sleep with not one, but two women at his young age only accentuated this. 

It would certainly perhaps spark some colour to the mind and stimulate ‘reactions’ to occur. Most notably, some other part of the body . . . ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

However, this was different from Dalis. 

Dalis, for the most part, had no such doltish ideas or reactions. 

In fact, many of the Orphanage children were the same. 

If Halio was to comment he would say . . . 

"Ya balls haven't dropped yet, have they?"

That wasn't to say Dalis was insensitive or immune. 

Rather, it was pleasing to him. It was new to him.

He had slept in the same room with these girls back in the Orphanage. But, that was thoroughly another story. 

This time, they weren't separated by beds and ladders. 

They were close enough to touch. 

It was comforting to be aware of their presences beside him. He’d never felt so intimate before.

They could be said to be family after all. 

"Dalis are you awake?"

Dalis heard a whisper next to him. It was from Jessica. 

"Yeah." He did not open his eyes

"Could I ask you something?"

The tone of her voice was very heartfelt. It seemed she had something she really desired to convey.

"Go for it."

"Back then . . . when that beast—"

"Which beast?"

"The boar . . . "

"Carry on."

"A-Anyways . . . when that beast was charging at me” She paused. “Why did you go so far?”

"Elaborate." Dalis noticed there was clear displeasure in his words. It was not because of their bickering from earlier, but instead from his interruption from before after he had released the tri-section staff at the Spliz. He was still puzzled as to why this was the case.  

Am I so petty? he thought.

"Why did you try so hard to rescue me? You were so reckless. You had no reason to push yourself so far for someone like me.” The strength in her feelings had caused her to rise up, prompting Dalis to open his eyes to see her standing. She was staring at him dead in the eye.

“My life may have been in danger, but if I just wished to retire . . . then that would be that. It was as if you were putting your life on the line."

Dalis appropriately followed her actions. He also raised himself. They were no more than a half a metre apart. "Do you need a reason?"

"Yes."

"A reason . . . " Dalis mumbled. 

Why did I try so hard to rescue her? 

Why for someone like Jessica? 

Why was I so impulsive? 

My actions were certainly out of character. 

Was it because of Sister Edna's request . . . 

or was it because I wanted to?

Being put on the spot, no matter how much he pondered, he couldn't find a precise reason. It just felt natural to him, like they were family. Dalis was reluctant to keep her waiting. Hence, he just said this:

"Dunno."

"HUH?"

Jessica, who was waiting anxiously, elicited a shout.

"Quiet down. You will wake up Sienna."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Jessica's voice sped down to a whisper.

"It's as I said. I do not know."

"Can't you give me a reason that I will actually accept?"

Dalis quirked his eyebrows. "What's a reason you will accept?"

"Argh! Anything that is not, 'I don't know.' She froze her swaying arms and pointed. Got that?"

"Hm . . . because you're my roommate?"

" . . . Is there more to that?"

"I did not wish to see you hurt?"

*Deep sigh* 

Is there more that is necessary? In the first place, did it really matter? Dalis did not understand.

"Ah whatever!"

Jessica frantically rustled her hair in frustration.

"Could you quit wiggling? You will end up hitting Sienna." Dalis carefully inspected her to make sure there was no risk of Sienna being unfairly implicated. 

"Gah! Who's damn fault do you think it is?"

"Yours?"

*Deep sigh*

That's a second deep sigh, Dalis thought.

"Thank you," she said after letting out her final ounces of pent-up stress. 

"What are you thanking me for?" Dalis asked.

Jessica turned her back against him and did not reply. 

Instead, a slightly crestfallen murmur echoed out into the night. She gave off the impression of wanting to be alone. 

Seeing this, Dalis kneeled down and positioned himself to lay on his back to sleep. It was only after a while that Jessica spoke again.

"In the past, I thought you were similar to me. But eventually, I started having doubts about it. Now I can say that my intuition was right. You are probably like the rest."

Dalis's ears managed to catch the fleeting murmur. He did not understand the words that escaped her mouth and felt it was difficult to reply. But no matter how much time had passed, there was only a bout of silence. 

What did she mean . . . ? Ah, whatever. I am too exhausted.

Dalis decided to withdraw and drowse into his slumber. 

 

***

 

Zzzzzz

!!!

Dalis suddenly opened his eyes. 

His eyes were wide awake.

They were starking. 

Rhinearian Beetle!

The Rhinearian Beetle had been downright forgotten! Dalis began to recall back to his last conversation with the beast . . . 

 

*Flashback*

 

"Hey! I order you to remain and guard my residency. I do not permit you to sleep until I am back."

The beast gave a short cry in response as it moved its body up and down. It seemed to have understood its master's order. 

"Good. I won't be long."

 

*Present*

 

$%^#^! I won't be long?? It's been like seven whole hours or more by now! If that beast to all intents and purposes obeyed my decree . . . 

" . . . "

" . . . "

Suddenly, Dalis's eyelids closed in a leisurely manner and returned to their natural state.

Well. Let's be honest. In all probability, it has gone to sleep. Unbelievable! I was roused from my deep sleep from something as nugatory as this.

Hence, Dalis returned back to dreamland.

Meanwhile . . . at ‘Dalis's residency’.

Two silhouettes were dashed against the night sky, lit by the moon and glittered in starlight. 

One, a crude shack standing sturdily yet with leaves tranquilly swaying to the breeze. The other, a shivering lump of earth that threatened to crash. It was questionable whether the Rhinearian Beetle was shimmering due to the rain earlier, or the many tears cascading down his face. 

Despite this, it was concerned more about the well-being of his master than his own fatigue. Aggrieved with a choice that he had pondered upon for the last few hours, he made his decision.

The Rhinearian Beetle solemnly raised itself. It disobeyed its master's orders and began looking for him.  

 

***

 

The third day dawned, bright and sunny. In defiance of the desirable, remarkable weather, the three were deep in sleep. Considering yesterday, they were nearly dead with fatigue. 

Outwardly, they may have held pertinacious perseverance. However, the truth was they were in dire need of rest. 

Dalis was the first to awaken in the wake of noon. Or rather, it should be said that he was half-awake already from the nightwatch. 

He raised half of his upper body and performed a light stretch. Noticing that the girls were still asleep, he quietly cleaned up the campfire from last night. 

There's nothing worse than being woken up first thing in the morning.

Damn Stilla . . . 

Contrary to his beliefs, he would obediently get up from bed if it was his true big sister. 

Dalis then opened the stats window. Perhaps after yesterday’s events I would finally be able to gain a silent stat point. 

 

Stats

Value

Stats Attribution 

Health Pool (HP)

365/365

Life and Health Capacity 

Mana Pool (MP)

0/0

Mana Capacity 

Strength (STR)

32

Physical Attack and Stamina 

Defence (DEF)

30

Defence and Health Pool

Dexterity (DEX)

38

Speed, Dodge, and Hit

Critical (CRIT)

24

Penetration and Extra Damage

Intelligence (INT)

30

Comprehension, Mana Pool, and Smarts

 

From his look, anyone could tell that he was happy. 

It was just a single increment increase from 37 DEX to 38, but that was sufficient to cause Dalis to be in bliss. It had been over two months since he had last been able to gain a point. 

Silent stat points were as the name suggests: they were stat points that are silently gained. This meant that the System would not alert you of your increasement in stats. 

Most oftenly, people gained silent stats during times of vigorous or strenuous activities, whether it was mental or physical. However, it was not that simple because this was not definitive. People may go through weeks of vigorous or strenuous activities and gain nothing.

Although I may strain myself a little, today’s morning training will be like the usual days.  

Feeling motivated and desiring to capitalise on his uplifted mood, Dalis immediately set off to do his standard routine, starting off by stretching his body. But this time, seriously as he basked in the rays of warmth. 

It was not before long that Jessica departed the dreamland and Sienna waking up shortly after.

"What time is it?" Sienna asked, a little drowsed.

"It's past noon according to Dalis."

"I slept for that long? Did I make you guys wait?!"

"No. I had only just awoken around thirty minutes ago or so,” Dalis said while maintaining his swings with the tri-section staff at the air. “Jessica awoke a few minutes before."

"I see. It appears that yesterday's exhaustion took quite a toll on us. That's not good. We missed valuable time that could've been spent on hunting . . . if only we woke up a few hours earlier . . . "

"Don't worry Sienna! We managed to obtain a decent earning from yesterday. Right Dalis?"

"Correct. We hit the jackpot. Or at least Sienna and I did."

"Hey!! You didn't need to put it like that!"

Jessica grumpily walked up to Dalis, raising a fist. Having said that, her actions then turned a 180. She turned around. Not letting Dalis and Sienna see her expression. 

"What's with her?" Her actions had caused him to abruptly stop his training.

"I can't tell if you’re slow on the uptake, or just acting ignorant." Sienna sighed.

Dalis gave an indiscernible gaze to Sienna. "Anyways. You girls ready to go?"

"Yeah." The girls replied simultaneously.

The three walked towards the top of the hill. 

There appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary on top of the hill. Nonetheless, as they approached close to the other side . . . they noticed that the hill was, in truth, hollow. It was probably a cave . . . 

 

Thank you for reading! Please support the Campaign!  

Campaign!

4