Chapter 23: Cave that is probably home to The Monster
95 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A cave?" Jessica said.

"Appears so,” Sienna replied.

"This can't be The Monster's lair . . . right?" Dalis murmured.

"Dalis, what do you think?" Sienna asked.

"There is only one way to find out."

Dalis eagerly strolled a couple of steps before being grabbed on the arm by Sienna.

"What are you gonna do if it's in there?"

"If it's there, I will leave. I'm confident in my stealth capabilities."

"If it spots you?"

"I will run."

" . . . " Sienna expressed a deplorable face.

"In any case . . . I'm curious.” Dalis’s eye glinted as he turned away to face the cave. “Who knows, we may find something interesting. Besides, there is no guarantee."

"That's true, but . . . "

Sienna held a fair amount of faith in Dalis. 

After all, Dalis has continued to exceed her expectations and accomplish many feats. This faith is not entirely derived from the Pre-soldier Exam. It also included her time at the Orphanage. Observing Dalis's ample performance without a transformed mana seed had caused her to have a great degree of admiration for him.

"Sienna, let's listen to Dalis and investigate this cave.” She nudged. “I'm also kind of curious to see what's in there too." 

"Alright. Since you guys insist . . . "

Sienna lowered her hand.

"Then it's decided.” Dalis brought his hands together and produced a clap. “If you girls want to wait here, then now is the time to speak."

"No, we are fine."

"I'm coming as well."

"Alright . Since you guys insist . . . "

Sienna was, to some degree, baffled. He copied her exact words, expressions, and tone. Was he mocking her? Or was he just having fun? She had a feeling it was the latter. Thus, she dismissed it. Though it left a bitter taste in her mind.

 

***

 

The three entered the small cave. 

It was almost three metres high. Nearly half the size of the hill it formed in. The interior of the cave was about as normal as the outside entrance. There was nothing in particular of interest. Dalis was disappointed, but he continued to walk in anticipation, hoping something would catch his eye. 

Although the depth of the cave was shallow, it wasn't merely a hollow. As the group ventured deeper, the light that had intruded into the entrance gradually became dimmer and dimmer. Even so, the temperature remained relatively the same. It only dropped a small degree in temperature. 

Unlike most caves, there were no chambers or passages. The entire length ran in a straightish line. If a beast were in there, it would be a difficult task to outmaneuver it as there was only one pathway to take off. 

Fortunately, there were several large boulders and other rugged rocks that could serve as cover if needed. 

The most odd fact about the cave was that there were no signs of life . . . at least visible life.  It was around this time that their attention had been grasped by the  marks left behind the cave floor. The marks distinctly indicated that this small cave was home to a particular beast. 

As if it had marked its territory. 

"Those footprints may seem bigger than the average beast but . . . what are those jagged lines." Sienna inquired, concerned.

"Is it the . . . Monster . . .  but what could it exactly be?" Jessica asked, appearing somewhat pale.

"Beats me. Let's move on. However, keep your eyes peeled."

The two nodded and returned to cave exploring. 

At the very end of the cave, the cave widened to a spacious dome. 

The temperature of the cave permeated with warmth. Various broken down bones were littered on the ground. In spite of the vast disparity to the passageway, to Dalis it was considered dull: a letdown. After all . . . there was really nothing there. 

"This is the beast's resting den. Is this where it hibernates?" Sienna slowly spoke with awe.

"It really looked like a place for The Monster to reside in." Jessica followed.

" . . . "

The Monster? Location to hibernate? Who cares what it is? This chamber was an utter waste of time. Sure we may have found the accommodation of the so-called ‘Monster’, but heck it isn't even present! I was expecting something valuable to be there but nope. There's no treasure, no hidden secret, nothing but a deadbeat of regressed bones.

"What's wrong Dalis? Your face appears to be weighty and ugly? Could there be something you realised?" Sienna earnestly inquired as she stared at his furrowed brows. 

I realised this place was an outright squander of the clock!

"No. I was just contemplating. If the beast is not here then, that would mean it's taken a temporary leave. After all, those wolves abstained from approaching this area, and the heated room suggests that this room is still in use."

"Wait! That would mean it could come back any minute now!" Jessica gasped in horror.

Did she seriously just realise it?

"That's right. I was in actual fact about to tell you guys to depart before it arrives." Sienna exposed, nodding her head.

As if that was the queue to commence the inevitable foreshadowing, deep resounding stamps could be heard from the passageway. It echoed so audibly within the cave that it had prompted the halt of the trio's actions. 

"T-That sound . . . it wasn't my imagination right?!" Jessica exclaimed in a panic. 

"N-No. I think we all heard it loud and clear . . . " Sienna responded warily with a stutter.

"Quiet down.” Dalis warned seriously. “Right now we need to escape." 

Seriously?! I may have desired for something at the end of this cave, however, encountering The Monster from behind our tails was not on the menu! Given our situation, we'd be forced to confront the beast since it's blocking the entrance! Damn it. Maybe I should've thought things a little more thoroughly. I may be naive, but I'm confident to abscond by myself. Howbeit, I'm not alone. There are two others I'm required to consider as well. Damn it! 

Dalis was deep in thought, racking his brain of possible solutions to escape.

"Dalis . . . "

When Dalis heard Jessica's anxious voice, he terminated his thoughts and turned to the two of them. Beads of sweat could be seen trickling down their fair skin. Although the room was warm, it was nowhere enough to generate perspiration for how long they stayed.

They were understandably very nervous and were awaiting for Dalis to conclude his thoughts.

 . . . What's done is done. We just have to do it.

"Sorry. Here's the plan.” He gestured to the girls to huddle up and listen carefully.

“We lay in hiding among the numerous rocks and boulders. Then, we stand by until the beast walks past us. If the beast walks past us then that's great. We just need to wait for it to pass a considerable distance away from us. After that, we can quietly depart from its trespassed territory. Moreover, we will not hold our weapons.”

Dalis stored the tri-section staff into his inventory.

“We want to avoid generating as much noise as possible. After all, this beast could have sharp ears. I'm more concerned about the weapons blowing our cover, rather than our heated breaths. Thankfully, our inventories solve this issue perfectly."

The girls began to put their weapons into their inventories too. Jessica then asked, "Alright, but what happens if it discovers us?"

"Then we would need to make a break for it. Confronting it in this compact cave would be a death sentence. The terrain is unideal and unsuitable for combat."

"That's true.” Sienna interjected. “Besides if it's The Monster, our objective should be to desperately flee, rather than attempt to foolishly engage in bloodshed." 

"Correct, Sienna."

"Sounds easier said than done. But I guess we just got to do it. We could always just retire anyways," Jessica chided, feeling much more at ease. It was a vast comparison to her previous state.

The movements of the unknown beast grew ever so closer. 

The three silently and unobtrusively moved to the entrance. 

Every step was nerve-wracking. At the given moment, their pacing was only barely silent despite being careful. This was because they were pretty much power-walking. The trio was not hidden yet, as it was essential to separate themselves from the inner chamber of the beast. 

Otherwise, even if they were to successfully deceive the beast, escaping undetected would be beyond the bounds of possibility. 

Dalis suddenly halted his tracks and turned to the girls, nodding his head.

Similarly, the girls nodded in response. It was a tacit understanding.

Each of them used the solid minerals as a shelter to conceal themselves. They made sure to avoid creating noise by carefully positioning themselves in postures comfortable to them. That way, if they had to stall, they would be able to keep hidden for long durations. 

This was a piece of advice that Dalis gave to the girls during their trip inside the cave.

Stamp Stamp Stamp Stamp.

The beast was a few meters away from them. 

Although they were hidden behind cover, their hearts and minds became perturbed. Realistically, they shouldn't be able to have a clear view of the beast, from their positions and in consideration of the unlighted area. Nevertheless, one would not even need to catch a glimpse to understand. 

The four-legged beast was to put it bluntly . . . humongous as a mammoth. 

It was likely to be around three metres tall. Its formidable height is further portrayed by its head, just almost touching the cave's ceiling. Although the trio was unable to discern its physical features in detail . . . they knew they were dead meat.

Why? 

Well, what use is hiding behind large rocks and boulders if their size couldn't even be measured to even half of that titan's height? The titan would simply need to lay its eyes down on the mortal world to see the unbidden insects crawling. An insect repellent was not even a thought. 

#$%^&

The Vanquish General was not kidding at all when she said you will recognise The Monster if you were to encounter it. In actual fact, there would be not a remote of a question as to a candidate would dare to try and combat this beast. 

That would be courting death. 

Even Dalis was on the borderline of deciding to not take the risk of legging it.  Instead, retiring as of this moment would be the most rational choice of course. 

He had gathered some information beforehand about it, particularly on its physiognomy, but believed it was an exaggeration by the otherside. And now he found that those rumours to be quite accurate.

To make matters worse, Dalis with his keen eyes could seize a brief look of that monster's tail. It’s entire tail was a walking porcupine. Dalis knew that this wouldn't be a matter of simple pricks and needles. 

Without a moment to waste, he looked towards the girls. Dalis deduced that their faces had lost all colour. He was responsible for this situation and was fully aware that it was his fault. However, there was no time for regrets as the beast was, even more, closer than before.

Dalis raised his arm and gave a thumbs up. However, his thumb was swayed behind him in a 90° fashion. 

It signified them to retire.

Unsurprisingly, the girls nodded their heads without dissent. 

"I wish to retire."

In the blink of an eye, a divine shine spread across the perimeter of Jessica. 

Jessica had teleported out.

The unforeseen glow of light alarmed the beast, stopping it's walk, turning its head towards where it was seen. 

Sienna and Dalis had yet to retire. They were both very stubborn and were hesitant to let things end on this note. 

The beast cautiously plodded. It was heading straight towards Dalis and Sienna!

Sienna moved out from her spot and reached out her hand, tightly grasping onto Dalis's hand. Dalis shifted his attention to Sienna and looked at her in the eyes. 

It was implicit. 

He knew what to do.

"I . . ."

All of a sudden, an unremitting voice could be heard in the distance. As the seconds passed longer, the voice grew louder and more distinguished. It was now possible to hear the discrete words. 

"Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck . . ."

That voice. 

He would never forget that voice even if he were to lose his memories a thousand times. 

There have been said to be voices as delicate as the heavens themselves, Sister Edna, and voices so languid it could melt anyone down on the inside regardless of gender, Sister Enda. 

This voice could also be considered a miracle. 

For Lord Caleyar should never have made such a mistake. 

A voice so noble should never be able to sound so mind-numbingly irritating. 

Without a doubt, it belonged to Melvin.

2