Chapter 25: Sienna’s Wall
213 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dogs were agitated. They appeared to be voracious, desiring to crunch out the living flesh of that human at any moment. Dalis and Sienna were observing from afar. While they hadn't made a move, the duo was hidden from sight.

"Dalis, we probably need to take action right away. That idiot is going to get himself killed."

"Can't be bothered, he's asking for the death wish. How about we make use of our circus tickets?"

"Enough of the jokes. Even if you were not planning to aid Melvin, you would definitely not stand by as Stilla is in trouble."

Dalis did not reply and instead said this:

"Let's just observe for now. Melvin may be arrogant, but he isn't so foolish. He likely has a plan in mind."

AROOO

The Monster howled. In response, the two Grey wolves split off, running from each side to attack Melvin. Melvin did not panic and began to chant his voiceless incantation. He was prepared for this. A current of wind swept beneath the ground floor, briefly fluttering the ends of his robe. 

[The Dexterity of your footwork has increased by 12. Dexterity of footwork: 40 (28+12)]

ARR

One of the wolves pounced. Melvin dodged the attack with ease and quickly shifted his attention to the incoming second attack by the other beast. With a swift push of his foot, he was able to successfully dodge the next attack. 

Melvin’s base Dexterity stat, DEX, had temporarily risen from 28 to 40, which meant he was now slightly faster than Dalis. However, this only applied to his footwork meaning the rest of his body moved at a value of 28. Despite this, it was still a huge increase! 

Furthermore, although his System does not display it, the numerical value of 28 was actually higher for the rest of his body due to the increased Dex targeted to his feet. It’s true value was thus undermined! 

The wolves were angered by their failed attempts and commenced an even harsher offensive assault. The spectators watched as Melvin swiftly continued to dodge the barrage of attacks. 

Although it appeared that Melvin was able to hold his ground, he was steadily losing the edge in the battle. The pressure did not allow Melvin to have a slim chance to catch his breath or be allowed to exploit an opportunity. The wolves were determined to ravage him. 

"Why is Melvin struggling? He may be faced with two Grey wolves, but he is more than capable enough to bring them down," Sienna questioned with disbelief.

"Look carefully at the eyes of those wolves. Do they look like they're playing around? Those exasperated pupils are ready to burst out of their sockets! It seems I underestimated Melvin's aggro calibre. To think it would reach to this extent against beasts. I have been enlightened." 

Dalis appeared to have cultivated a new level of profound understanding.

"I get it now. However, I'm at a loss of words with regards to your behaviour."

As those two exchanged comments, Stilla was ready to enter the thick of the fray. She also realised that Melvin was surprisingly in a bind. She bent her knees, locking onto her target, and dashed off.

"Get away from . . . "

Jumping in the air, clenching her fists, one arm taut, she released a devastating punch downwards onto her foe's abdomen.

"MELVIN!"

POW!

CRACK!

The moment of collision and the cracking of bones resounded. An anguished cry followed, and the beast dropped dead from the blow. 

It was a one-hit K.O

Sienna eyes boggled out.

Dalis was flabbergasted.

Sienna, let alone Dalis, had not expected a complete knockout from Stilla's punch. Dalis may be able to accept this. However, it was an utterly unbelievable sight for Sienna. She was a body consolidator herself. 

While she may be lacking in pure physical strength compared to the average body consolidators of Gigan Walls, she was confident that her prowess was on par with Stilla. 

Although she used a weighty sword, killing a grey wolf in one swing to the abdomen was not possible for her. Yet, right before her very eyes, Stilla unarmored, without her knuckle braces, had just accomplished what she deemed impossible. It was a massive blow to her self-esteem. 

Dalis noticed Sienna subtly trembling with an unsightly look on her face. Dalis was a little alarmed and was impelled to speak.

"Is there something wrong, Sienna?" 

"Was Stilla always that strong?" Sienna asked as if she had lost her soul.

" . . . Yes, albeit even I was startled by that fist. She may even be able to smash that evolved wolf into a pulp." Dalis joked as his lips curved upwards. He was very impressed and felt a bit of pride welling inside.

"Ha ha . . . Our group? To think my individual skills were lacking as well . . . " Sienna chuckled to herself with self-mockery, turning her head down away from Dalis. She was ashamed of herself. 

Dalis examined Sienna and glanced towards Stilla before returning to her. Dalis pondered for a while, recalling a particular memory and then discerned the issue. He gave a soft snort as a smile leaked out from his face.

"Sienna. Do you think you're not on the same standing as Stilla?" Dalis straightforwardly asked.

The candid inquiry by Sienna made her briefly freeze. Nonetheless, she soon replied.

"Well, I thought I was . . . but—"

"I reckon you are," Dalis casually remarked.

" . . . What makes you say that?"

"How could you be stumped by something as minor as this?"

"You were clearly expressing your approval of her."

"Correct, there isn't an issue with that right?"

Before she could reply, Dalis continued his train of speech.

"Stilla deserves the praise. Not anybody could one-shot a grey wolf in one blow. Though I'm unable to make an accurate judgement as I have not witnessed any real Gigans facing beasts in the flesh. I dare believe she would be able to fair against them."

As those words reached her ears, she became agitated. 

"Dalis, why contradict yourself? You are underestimating body consolidators who are Gigans! Sure we have learnt techniques from the Orphanage, but in sheer physical strength, myself or Stilla shouldn't be compared to them. As a Half-Gi—"

"Perhaps I'm acting presumptuously.” Dalis cut her off again. “However, who's to say that Stilla will be unable to face them? Defeat them? Even if Stilla is unable to defeat an average Gigan practitioner, what about the future? ‘No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite.’ I have as much faith in Stilla as I do with you Sienna.”

Dalis’s eyes shimmered, reflecting the brilliant strength of the fine weather. 

“If you bring yourself down for something so trivial, your potential can't be brought to fruition. You will only put yourself more behind and never pass by that wall. Do not forget. There will be many more walls in the future. Some bigger than others. Are you going to let such a small, mundane wall hinder you?"

Sienna's complexion rose, appearing to express a sense of realisation.

He took a deep breath, letting her sink the words in. Then, Dalis finalised his last words with a greater weight set in tone. 

"Sienna. Do you think you're not on the same standing as Stilla?"

There was a bout of silence.

And then her ultimatum—

"No. I don't believe my efforts are lacking anywhere behind hers. Maybe she's more talented than me, maybe she's a tad bit stronger. However, I'm once again sure we are on the same ground. Even if that is not true as of this moment, I will make it happen. No, rather I will surpass her!" The light in her eyes that were once filled with a mixture of jealousy and loss are now ignited with blazing energy.

"Hmph, that's the spirit." Dalis was content to see her reform back to her normal self. Out of all the children he was familiar with, Sienna is the individual Dalis respected the most.  

"Thank you."

"No need. I just did what I wanted to do. Even without my words, you would have appropriately dealt with your conflict."

"You overestimate me. But that means a lot when it's coming from you." Sienna smiled very happily. "You know there's also another reason why I'm confident. Maybe that's the main reason . . . "

"Hm?"

"Because you believed that I was on the same standing."

" . . . You're giving me too much credit," Dalis tittered. 

"What you said was really mature . . . you never cease to amaze me."

" . . . "

It is good riddance that Sienna is not aware that my base STR stat is actually higher than Stilla. Dalis drifted his attention towards the battlefield. It appeared that the two wolves that attacked Melvin were now quelled. Only The Monster was left.

Melvin laid his eyes onto the fallen wolves and nonchalantly shifted his head to the direction of the remaining beast. 

"Rabid cur what are you wagging your tail for? Are you ready to repent to your master? It is very unpleasant to have my eyes lay on your drooling mouth." 

GRR ROOF

The Monster raised its head in the air and growled in retaliation. With a sudden pounce, the enraged beast opened its wide hyena-like jaws, aiming to crunch its prey to death. 

Melvin hastily dived towards a nearby tree to escape the incoming blow, resulting in the beast crashing into the tree behind him. Despite being hit, the beast was barely hindered and easily shrugged off the pain, resuming its assault. 

Although Melvin was not slow, the body size of the beast made it difficult for him to dodge, and in a couple of seconds he was already in mortal danger. 

"Fuck, this cur really desires to entertain his master."

Stilla did not remain still. Flanking from the rear she delivered a series of punches to various parts of its anatomy. The beast was not perturbed and solely focused on its endeavour to ravage Melvin. Since the beast was evolved, its constitution and resistance was sky-high. Stilla's pounding was barely much of a threat. 

This angered her, provoking her to append greater power into her fists.  

After enduring for a minute, the beast could no longer ignore Stilla, halting its advancement of Melvin and changing its attention to her. The beast swept down its porcupine tail as if it was a cutting knife. The sudden shift to Stilla caused her to flinch. Luckily, she was able to dodge in the nick of time by gliding herself below the beast's body as cover. 

Before The Monster could react, Stilla tucked her arms and legs close, buckling her knees to unleash a barrage of vigorous, violent kicks. 

"Ora ora ora ora ora ora ora ora!"

If Dalis had heard this, he would definitely be enticed to give voice to a particular line. However, Dalis at this moment was . . . 

"Wild mongrel! Taste this young master's arcane mana!" 

Suspended green bolts could be seen trembling around Melvin, conjured by manipulating the natural mana of the air and his various skills. The bolts glowed, emanating Mother Nature's energy. 

Telum Flurry!

They began to surge out in an array, directly towards the beast's back. 

The beast roared with resentment as it took the onslaught of its two opponents. It had not been able to strike a single blow against these humans since entering combat. 

As soon as the pacing slowed, the beast exploited the opportunity for a counter-attack. Utilising Its porcupine tail, it latched onto the bark of a nearby tree, reeling in, then swung itself towards Melvin. It had finally brought out its trump card.

The movement of reeling in had inadvertently caused Stilla to be scraped across the ground. It was a fortunate turn of events for the beast.

"Kyaaaa." Stilla screamed with agony. 

The weight of the beast was unbearable. 

Not to mention being sandwiched in between, not only the beast, but also the hard ground floor. Even for a sturdy body consolidator, this was simply too much. Stilla was swept away and sent flying towards the back of the beast's hide. Blood could be seen coughed out in mid-air . . . 

 

 

3