Side Story, Part 6: What Lies Beneath
305 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I didn’t want to show it, but I was scared. Mum had gotten increasingly worried over the last few days. She said humans got dangerously close to our hideout, and their presence prevented her from going outside to gather more food. Our supplies were far from exhausted, but they would run out, eventually. At least we still had access to running water.

We were in the middle of eating dinner when we heard footsteps coming from the roof above the beds. They were standing right next to the small river that ran over our home. I looked at Mum, waiting for her instructions. She brought a finger in front of her mouth, and we listened in silence. She kept telling me there was no way they could find us. The entrance was sealed, and a small waterfall fully covered that wall.

Minutes passed, and we heard them walk closer to the entrance, then past it. They were leaving. We sighed in relief, knowing the worst was over. With some luck, they would never come close to this area again.

Our hopes were shattered when we heard a voice coming from outside. “We know you are there,” it said in fluent Geilspræn. “Come out peacefully, and we swear by the eight gods not to harm you. If you fail to comply, we’ll drill our way in.” The man was using a loudspeaker, and he was aiming it right at us.

“Hide under the bed,” Mum whispered, grabbing out her hunting knife and bow.

I nodded and did as she asked. Peeking from my “safe” location, I watched as she cast her magic on the wall, parting the stone to reveal a bearded man in a black uniform already standing behind the waterfall. A sword sheathed into an overly ornamented scabbard hung from his waist. His left hand was empty, while the right held the megaphone he used to call us.

Mum stayed right at the entrance of the cave, where the walls still protected her back. The man smiled and bowed to her. He was weird. Mum told me humans didn’t believe in the gods. They weren’t supposed to know our language or greet others this way either. “Good evening, Madam. My name is Stefan Fuchs, Knight Representative of the Spectres of Schwald. And you are?”

She reluctantly returned the courtesy. “Lystida Brændyll. May I ask the reason a human knight came to my door?” she replied, using the common tongue. I knew she did it so I wouldn’t have trouble understanding. I was still learning, after all. “Have you finally decided to search and kill the last remaining Dræll?”

“Oh, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.” The black knight shook his head and bowed once more. “On behalf of my ancestors, I deeply regret the events that took place so many centuries ago. We know a simple apology won’t be enough to fix the damage they caused, but we hope for you to find it in your heart to accept our heartfelt request and cooperate with us now and in the future.”

Mum sighed. “You have not answered my question. What can an old lady like myself do for you, Sir?”

The man hung the megaphone to his waist and reached for one of his pockets. Mum took a step back and raised her knife, only to lower it when all that came out was a picture.

“This is Kara Druren, a fellow citizen of Schwald. She, along with her parents, went missing a few days ago. We have our reasons to believe she’s here with you.”

“What makes you think I would keep a human girl with me?” Mum asked him.

“Nothing at first,” he replied. “You see, we’ve known about your existence for a while now, Madam. Your actions over the last few decades have quite the reputation, to put it mildly. I don’t think there’s a single citizen in Schwald that hasn’t heard of the shadow people that supposedly inhabit the Black Forest.”

Hearing this, Mum’s grip on her knife increased. The man noticed it and raised his now empty hands. “Ignoring your nightly visits to our citizens’ campsites, you tend to completely avoid humans. That combined with our previously unsuccessful efforts to locate your hideout, led to the decision to leave you alone.”

“Well, it certainly does not look like that.”

He nodded. “Our orders changed when the search party, tasked with finding this girl and her family, located an unusual grave. It’s not every day that you come across a drællyn burial, much less one with human remains in it. Upon examination, however, the girl’s remains were nowhere to be found.

“We believe you managed to save her and that she’s currently in your custody. All clues point that way. I assure you that no harm will come to you. We just wish to return her to the human world.”

Mum never told me anything about burying any humans recently. She didn’t like them in the first place. I couldn’t understand what made them think a human girl lived with us.

“I am afraid your clues were wrong,” she replied. “I am the one responsible for the grave, that much is true, but I brought no human girl with me, nor did I see one when I found the wreckage.”

The knight raised an eyebrow. “Well then, could you explain why I can see two beds and two sets of dishes with food on your table?”

She looked back at the things the man pointed to. I saw the worry in her eyes as they made contact with mine. She took a deep breath. “Nyx, come out, dear. The knight wishes to meet you.”

They had sworn an oath to the gods; I knew it was technically safe for me to go, but I was still scared. I crawled out from under the bed and scurried my way behind her, taking her hand when she offered it. The man’s eyes widened when he saw me. I could see other knights keeping their distance behind him.

“Sir Fuchs, I would like for you to meet my daughter, Nyggry Brændyll. As you can see, there are no humans here. Just the two of us.”

He brought the picture out again and stared at me in silence. The back and forth went for so long that it made me feel uncomfortable. “And the father?” He asked.

“Unfortunately, he died in an accident not too long ago.” she answered, looking down. “We are still in mourning, so I would appreciate it if you do not take much longer.”

It was the first time I heard about it. I had thought his death was the reason Mum didn’t like humans. It never occurred to me that they weren’t involved at all. For some reason, it didn’t feel right to ask, so I waited until she told me.

Was that the same accident that made me lose my memories?

Why don’t we have any portraits of him?

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Sir Fuchs said, taking off his hat and placing it over his chest.

“Do not be. He is in Geilrilk now.”

“I’m sure he is, Madam.”

I heard a short cough coming from a woman behind him. She stood the closest to Sir Fuchs. He turned to her and nodded. “Right. If you don’t mind, I’d like to continue with our investigation.”

“I am afraid I do not know what else is there to say,” Mum replied curtly.

He lifted the photo once more. “Are you sure you didn’t see this girl around when you found her parents? We determined that she would be too injured to move, and there are no traces of anyone but you in the area. We were hoping that you felt pity on her and took her in.”

Mum crossed her arms and stepped aside. I moved after her. “Feel free to search my home if you do not believe me.”

The knight smiled gently and shook his head. “No, that won’t be necessary,” he said, waving his free hand. “We’ll continue searching for her then. Setting that matter aside, there is one more thing I’d like your help with.”

“And that is?”

The woman from before walked closer and pulled out a tablet and some papers from a case she carried. She stood next to Sir Fuchs and bowed. “Greetings, Madam and young miss Brændyll. My name is Sabine Schreiber. I am a Record Keeper of the Spectres of Schwald.”

Mum and I silently returned the gesture.

“According to the Law of Global Life Preservation, established in the year 492 of the New Era, we are required to keep a registry of any survivors from the Race Wars that we find. This is necessary to guarantee your freedom and wellbeing as well as to name you official citizens of Schwald.

“By having that title, you are placed under our protection by law, and we can provide you with the minimum necessities for a comfortable life. We also promise not to misuse your information in any way.”

Hearing what she said, Mum and I glanced at each other. “You mean there are more of us?” She asked once the lady was done talking.

She nodded. “Correct. Although scarce, there are a few confirmed survivors living in seclusion, just like you two were.”

“Dræll?”

“Only two others, I’m afraid. A couple living southeast of here, in a cave at the border of Rosivar. Both of them are over 800 years old with no children.”

That meant it was too late for that as well. They were too old. Mum taught me that the best age for a dræll to have children is somewhere between 100 and 600 years of age. Before and after that, it becomes too difficult. Past 700 years, it’s no longer possible.

“Can we meet them?” Mum asked.

“We can arrange something, but you’ll need to go through a short probation period before we can do that,” the lady said, smiling.

“What do we need to do?”

“First, you must abide by our law system. You are responsible for multiple cases of robbery in this area, some of those of considerable value. So far, we have turned a blind eye and exempted you from any charges since we understand your needs. However, you must refrain from continuing those activities in the future, now that you’ve been made aware.

“Second, we will assign a few members of our order to supervise your family. They will make sure to come visit you once a week, both to confirm your wellbeing and to bring you any items you request, within reason, of course. Last, but not least, you must remain hidden as you have been so far. This third requirement is due for some changes in the near future, but it’s important that you stick to it for now, for your safety.”

It sounded easy enough. We already did one of those on our own. And stealing would be no longer necessary if they offered to bring us food and other goodies. The only inconvenience was having humans watch over us, though I was sure Mum wouldn’t mind it too much. Despite her opinion of them, we knew it was a small price to pay for all the good things they promised. There was still a possibility they would be scheming something, but I couldn’t see any reason for it. If they wanted us dead, it wouldn’t have taken them long. Human weapons are scary, and, from the sound of it, there were enough of them present.

“Very well. We agree to those terms,” Mum finally said. “Though I would like for you to swear an oath to the gods, just to be safe.”

The knight nodded and was about to speak when another man came running, getting our attention. “Sir, there’s something you must see.”

Sir Fuchs excused himself and followed the newcomer away.

“Don’t worry, we will make the oath,” Sabine said as the men walked away. “We’ve got most of your information already, so all we need now is your age, a picture, and for you to read and sign a document that we’ll use to get your ID cards. It’s written in Geilspraen for convenience. If you don’t have a signature, we can get you an ink pad for you to sign with your fingerprints. The cards will be delivered with your wellbeing supervisors in a week.”

“Very well,” Mum responded, bobbing her head once. “I am 611 years of age. Nyx is 15.”

“Not yet.” The woman took note of the numbers, and then we walked in and sat by the table while Mum read the documents. Once she was done, Sabine gave her a pen, and she signed the paper. They offered me the ink pad when my turn came, but I had my signature. I grabbed the pen and swiftly signed it.

Right then, Sir Fuchs walked in with a frown on his face. “You have some explaining to do, Madam.”

She turned to look at him wide eyed. “What do you mean?”

“We just received the results from the analysis made to the blood samples we recovered at the crash site. These tests confirmed the presence of a virus capable of turning humans into other races. And it just so happens that Kara had the right genetics to become a dræll.”

As he said that, Sabine grabbed the paper I signed and showed it to him. He eyed it and turned it so Mum could see it. “Her signature confirms it.”

It was my turn to be confused. Somehow, I had used that name when signing the paper. Something clicked in my mind then.

“Did you mess with this girl’s memories to make her think she was your daughter?”

“No!” Mum? shouted. “I would never do such a thing!”

“Then you better explain what happened, because this girl is clearly not who you claimed.”

She fiddled in silence, looking at the floor. Everyone stared at her. I wanted to support her, but I also wanted to know the truth. I needed to know. “Fine…” She sighed and opened a hidden compartment in the wall, taking a small box from it. She then got her diary from the bookshelf and took a seat at the table. “Nyx, dear, come. We need to talk.”

“Is that even my name?” I asked, sitting down. I felt guilty from the way she looked at me when I did.

“No. Sir Fuchs is right. Your real name is Kara. I just did not know until now.” She opened the box and grabbed a picture from within. “I kept this safe for you. Thought you would like to have it if you ever recovered your memories.”

I took it and examined it. The people in it looked familiar, but I could not remember them. Between both parents stood a girl holding a notebook. It was the same girl from the picture the knights had. Mum… Lystida grabbed that same notebook from the box and placed it on the table. I opened it, revealing hundreds of sketches. Animals, buildings, scenery, there was a bit of everything. I traced my fingers over them. I recognised them; they were mine.

Lystida opened her diary and began reading it out loud. I watched the scene she narrated. Not from her point of view, but within the car as it fell. It was all a blurry memory, but it matched her words. I remembered a pair of glowing amethyst eyes staring back at me in the darkness of the night. I looked at the portrait that hung over my bed. I did look like her sister, but how?

She then read the theory about me being a descendant of her sister. It made sense at first, but I was human until recently. Even though most of it was still obscure to me, I was certain of that much.

Lystida took my hand and gently squeezed it in hers. “I… I was no older than you when I lost both my parents. When I lost everyone.” She sniffled, and I looked at her face. She was crying for the first time since I met her. “All those years of solitude. Of sadness. I could not let you go through the same pain I did. I knew I could never replace your family, but I hoped to give you the love they were no longer able to. Even before your transformation, I was ready to go against my prejudices and give you a place you could call home.”

She chuckled and cleaned her face with her sleeves. “I admit I was a bit selfish. I have always wanted a daughter, you know. I never had that chance. That is why, to me, you were a gift from the gods. A chance to have something I could only dream of. I am sorry for lying to you. I really am. Just know that I never did it with the intention of hurting you. I love you!”

It was a lot to take in. Nobody else said anything, giving me time to think about it. Once I had made up my mind, I turned to Sir Fuchs and asked, “Can you take me to my parents’ grave? I need to see it.”

He nodded. “We’ll be waiting outside. Come out when you’re ready.”

Lystida didn’t move, she remained seated, holding her head low and almost touching the table. I couldn’t see her face. I took her hand and pulled so she stood up. “I want you to come with me.”

She lifted her head to look at me, the jewels that were her eyes stared right into mine. “Yes.” She inhaled deeply and stood up. “Let us go.”

---<>----------<>----------<>---

The spectres had us get on one of their trucks to get there. Apparently, Lystida made sure to bury my parents far enough from her home. She didn’t speak at all during the trip. While her behaviour worried me, I appreciated the silence. There was a lot to think about, after all. Some of my memories had come back, though most of them were blurry and confusing. Almost none about my parents, and I still couldn’t remember who I was.

Lystida’s eyes widened as we got out of the vehicle. Looking at the same spot revealed nothing to me. There was only a large tree and some shrubbery around it.

“Surprised?” Sir Fuchs asked her. “The desecration of the grave was necessary for our investigation, but we did our best to return it to its original state after that. They deserve respect, and so do you. You may have done it thinking they were like you, but we still thank you for the service you did.”

Walking closer to the grave, I could finally see it, hidden between all the plants. A long oval mound of dirt with a tiny wooden boat resting on top. It was surrounded by eight river rocks. Each of them had a symbol carved on it. Although Lystida hadn’t taught me about it, I assumed they represented the gods. A tablet-like stone stood at the far end. On it, there was a golden plate with the names of my parents. Karl and Madison. Our last name was written below. Lystida crouched and ran her fingers over the letters.

Seeing this, Sir Fuchs explained, “The tombstone was blank, so we took the liberty of adding that finishing touch. We believe that the names of our dead should be honoured when possible.” The knight then walked to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. “Would you like some time alone with them?”

I nodded.

“We’ll be waiting by the trucks,” he said, smiling at me.

Lystida stood up to follow him. I grabbed her hand as she walked next to me.

“Stay,” I mumbled. Knowing she heard me, I didn’t repeat myself.

She stared at me, silently nodding before she stood behind me. I looked back at the grave as I held the picture she gave me. My parents were smiling. I wanted to believe it was at me.

After taking a deep breath, I talked to them. “Mum, Dad, it’s me, Kara. I look a bit different, I guess.” I stared at myself in the photograph. “Maybe too different…” I sniffled. “I’m sorry it took me so long to come visit you.”

I stayed silent, somehow expecting a reply from them. Giving up on the wishful thought, I continued, “I just wanted to let you know that I’m fine. You don’t need to worry about me. I lost my memories, and I’m a little confused right now, but I’m alright. I… I don’t really know what else to say. I wish I could remember more.”

Looking behind me, I took Lystida’s hand again and brought her next to me. “This is Lystida. I guess you met her already when she uh… Anyway, she has been taking good care of me all this time. She also hid many things from me, but I forgive her. I hope you don’t mind that I call her Mum, too. She’s very kind and teaches me many things. I love her.” I chuckled. “She doesn’t let me near the kitchen, though.”

I lifted my head to see Mum crying and smiled at her. I turned back to the plate and placed my hand on top of it. “I promise to come visit you again. Goodbye.”

With that, we went back to the trucks. There, we let Sir Fuchs know that I would be staying with Mum from now on. He agreed, saying it would be for the best. It was better if I stayed hidden. When they headed back to their city, they would declare that Kara Druren died the same night my parents did. Lystida became my official mother after Sabine made us sign a few more documents.

My name was registered as Kara Nyggry Brændryll. 

7