Chapter 34 – Setting off
5.4k 13 146
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dream opened his status.


|Profile|

<Name: Dream

Species: Human Male

Class: [Mystic]

Titles: [Origin Seeker]

Level: 50

Stats: Strength- D- Agility- D-

Stamina- E+ Magic- D

Passive Skills: [Sophia] Lvl. 5, [MMA Mastery] Lvl. 30

Active Skills: [Summons From Another World], [Shooting] Lvl. MAX,  [Mystify] Lvl. 1>


"Interesting. So I've almost completely gotten into the D range for attributes. I can imagine that places me pretty high up. I also see that you leveled up, Sophia."

[I did indeed. I had actually been level 2, but the enhancement gave me another 3 levels.]

"*sighs* Only three levels huh..."

Dream let out a tired sigh. An entire class advancement only leveled her up 3 times. He was starting to feel how difficult leveling would be in the future.

"Alright, we can look at my new stealth ability. And rather than going through the pain in the ass process of testing its limits, we can just look at the description. If you don't mind Sophia."

[Of course.]

As Dream didn't want to figure out what his ability did the hard way, he opted for having the Record tell him instead. A screen soon appeared in front of him.

<[Mystify]- A technique of concealment and confounding. Any thing with perception will either be incapable of perceiving you or will be mystified by your presence. The individual can also directly influence the cognition of the target. Effects are determined by the mental strength and intelligence of the target.>

"Hmm...So this was a combination of my [Erase Presence] and the effects from my soul scaring the bears. Both came together for an ability."

Dream made his assumptions. Since the abilities all have to come from somewhere, he assumed it was those two things that allowed him to get this ability. Sophia also assumed such.

[That's most likely the case. The fact that you can influence the cognition of the target is huge. I wonder if they have illusion magic in this world, because that would most likely match up with this ability.]

"There probably is. Speaking of, I am very eager to learn some magic. Until I can learn other skills, I will be at a plateau with my combat strength. My weapons won't be able to carry me much further."

[Well you may not have to wait long. Remember that you guys only stopped here to get your class. And although it took much longer than expected, all three of you have finally advanced. You could set off for the Enchanted Mountain today if you wanted.]

"You know what, that is true. Well, since I've learned all I need to know, I should go find the others. You have their location?"

[I'll mark it on your vision.]

After she said that, Dream saw a blip in his vision. He then took off towards the family.

As he ran through the forest, Dream could feel the increased strength in his body. His body was light as a feather and his coordination was perfect. Every step he took aimed his body and moved his center of gravity however he wanted. One could say that he was gliding across the ground rather than running. His footwork from all those years of sports like soccer, track, and football only helped his smoothness.

As he got closer though, he didn't go up to greet the family upfront, but instead decided to test his new stealth ability. He activated [Mystify].

When he used the skill, Dream's body began to warp and dissipate into the air, as if disintegrating. His body no longer affected the air, no steps were shown on the ground, no sound was made. He just disappeared.

He himself could also feel the changes. He couldn't feel the air blowing past his skin, and the ground he stepped on felt unreal. Usually the blades of grass would bend with weight, or dirt would shift when he kicked off. And he would still cause those changes from his perspective, but from the outside, there was no evidence of it happening. As if only he was aware of his existence.

The most important change though, was to his mana.

'I'm using mana way faster than before. I definitely wouldn't be able to maintain this forever. It also probably consumes more if I were to use that magic as well.'

[The ability is also only level 1. I can imagine it getting better as it raises level.]

'That's true'

Sophia chimed in to look at the bright side. And as if proving her right, Dream received a notification not long after.

<[Mystify] has leveled up!>

<[Mystify] has leveled up!>

His skill leveled up twice as he ran. After it did, Dream could indeed feel a tiny bit less mana being drawn upon. 

'Good. Only 97 more levels. Though my other skill was maxed in several hours, I doubt I could do the same for this one.'

Dream ran around for a bit more, hoping for another level up, but never got one. He wasn't disappointed though. It was a higher class ability after all. 

As he started getting closer to the family though, he started concentrating. He applied even more mana into his stealth to stay hidden as best he could.

Why was he trying to hide? Well, in order to test how god his ability actually was, he needed a good test subject. And what better subject than a non-hostile 3rd class magician?

Indeed, Dream was attempting to sneak up on Riddick. He knew the girls couldn't find him, but he had never been able to hide from the Old Man. And although he probably still couldn't, he could at least try and catch him off guard. 

Dream got slower and slower as he approached. When he got to the 200-meter mark, he came to a walking speed. He knew he was well within the range of Riddick's senses, but it seemed as if he couldn't detect him yet. Dream kept moving forward.

200 meters, 170 meters, 150, 130.

When Dream reached almost 100 meters away, He finally saw a reaction from Riddick. The Old Man raised his head as he sat on a rock and turned towards Dream's general direction. Dream also stopped in his tracks.

Riddick scanned his area for a couple of moments before turning back. Dream could tell he was still suspicious though.

'Alright, Sophia. I can approach a 3rd class up to 100 meters before alerting them. And now I have two options. I can slowly inch my way over, or book it.'

[Inching over might get your a dozen or so meters closer, but he would still eventually find you. Booking it would alert him quicker, but you can close distance faster. Don't forget that this skill isn't just about stealth, but confusion.]

'So approach quickly, and use the second part of my ability to confuse him as soon as possible. From how far can I affect him?'

[I estimate the farthest being 60 meters, but with lesser effects. As you get closer the effects get stronger. So the challenge is getting to at least 50 meters.]

'Got it. I guess we run now.'

Dream prepared himself and plotted out the best path for his approach. Once he was ready, he kicked off the ground as fast as he could.

Riddick also sensed the sudden movement and snapped towards Dream's direction, though he still couldn't make out the exact location. 

Dream saw this and just kept running. It only took a couple of steps to reach 80 meters. Another couple to reach 60. By this time, Riddick had basically locked onto his figure, and Dream wasn't sure if he knew it was him. Either way, Dream began using his confusion on Riddick at 50 meters.

Once Riddick was 'attacked', he quickly stood up form his rock. Dream then felt waves of mana emanating from Riddick's body and brushing over his own. 

'Is this detection magic?'

[Very likely. Just keep your confusion aimed at him.]

Dream kept channeling mana to his skill stealth and to confuse Riddick. He kept getting closer, and Riddick got more alert, but for the most part stayed calm.

Dream had also made sure not to release any form of a threatening aura. He didn't need to die for doing something stupid like that. Not that sneaking up on a 3rd class was smart anyway.

Dream took many quick and small steps instead of large strides as he got closer. He hit 40 meters, then 30.

When he got this far, Dream could see a smile float up on the Old Man's face. This is when he knew that he had been exposed, but that didn't mean it was over.

Dream stopped weaving the trees and shot straight at Riddick when he got past 15 meters. Riddick responded to the challenge with some magic. He raised his hand and aimed at Dream. Though Dream didn't know what it was, he also didn't plan on getting hit. He pumped more mana into his skill and went around the magic aimed at him. 

It was also when Dream suddenly moved that he noticed the effects of his ability. You see, Riddick has absolutely no problem keeping up with fast objects, as evidenced by how he could barely see bullets leaving a gun. So when Dream saw how Riddick wasn't focused on him, but rather the space right next to him, he knew that his ability must've had some effect.

Dream got closer and closer until he was right in front of Riddick. He then spun around and made his way to the side of Riddick's body where he threw a punch to his liver.

When Dream thought that he would succeed in making contact, a shimer came from the surface of Riddick's body and blocked his punch. A low thud was heard, followed by the sounds of pain.

*Thud*

"Oww!! Damn! That freaking hurt! Is that a shield?!" (Dream)

Dream immediately retracted his hand and held it. It felt like he had punched metal! Riddick responded with a smirk.

"It's a barrier. Did you think I wouldn't have one and just let you hit me?" (Riddick)

"You think I know anything about barriers?" (Dream)

"....Fair point." (Riddick)

Riddick's face froze for a second before nodding after he considered the fact that Dream still knew nothing about magic. 

"Though I do have to praise you on getting so close in the first place. Although there were many more ways I could have found you out from far away, I am still a 3rd class. Sneaking up on one is no easy feat, especially for someone who just got their first class. Though...That wasn't all just sneaking. I have to ask, what was that ability you used?" (Riddick)

Riddick asked a question after praising his efforts. Dream expected the question and answered him.

"It's the ability I got from the evolution of my [Erase Presence]. It's called [Mystify], and It can both hide me from enemies as well as confuse them. I used the confusion on you, and although the effect was minimal, it still remains that you didn't identify me until 30 meters. You also missed me with your magic."

"Hmm...I did already have the feeling that it was you, but yes, I didn't know 100% until I could finally make out your face. Which surprises me. Even though I didn't use my detection skill...And I guess I did miss you huh."

Riddick pondered with a long face as he stared at Dream for a bit. Though it was soon interrupted by another party.

"Dream! How did your class selection go?" (Iris)

Both Iris and Luna came walking up to Dream. 

"My class is called [Mystic]. I'm assuming that it's a unique one, though it only evolved my stealth ability. But honestly, that's plenty considering how good it is." (Dream)

"Mystic? I've never heard of it...Well, it is a unique class after all." (Riddick)

"And It evolved your stealth ability? I was wondering why your presence got so faint." (Luna)

"I'm surprised you could still sense me at all. Though I guess I wasn't targeting you guys with confusion earlier." (Dream)

Dream wondered if Luna had better senses than he thought. But he suddenly remembered his familiar connection with her, which would explain why she could sense him at all. Iris, though, gave an answer he expected.

"I couldn't. I didn't see you until you yelled in pain from trying to hit dad." (Iris)

"Heh. Well, whats to expect from a 1st class sneaking up on a 3rd class." (Riddick)

"Old Man, you didn't even sense me until 100 meters. I could easily fire off a shot from a distance 6 times that and you wouldn't know what hit you. Don't get caught with your guard down." (Dream)

"Try me, Boy." (Riddick)

Riddick and Dream stared each other down until they were interrupted again.

"Anyways! Dream got his class. So what do we do now? More hunting?" (Iris)

"...No. I say its time we move on. We only stopped here to get our classes anyway before moving on to the Enchanted Mountain. So I say its time we do so. Old Man?" (Dream)

"I agree. We can head back early. Its only noon and we can easily be out of the kingdom by sundown." (Riddick)

"Okay!" (Iris)

A smile came onto Iris' face at the thought of leaving the kingdom. Even Luna couldn't help her excitement at the thought of traveling to one of the 4 Great Empires.

The four walked their way out of the forest and drove back to the kingdom. Once they passed the gate, they headed straight for the hotel room and packed up their stuff. Dream stored all his summoned stuff as well as the girls' bags. They then met in his room.

"Old Man, how far is the Enchanted Mountain?" (Dream)

"With the speed that your helicopter has, I say a couple days of flight will get us there. It's much farther than from here to our forest." (Riddick)

"Alright. Then we can leave the capital and set off." (Dream)

"Hehe, I'm excited." (Iris)

The family promptly left the city and found a spot not far from the walls. The guardsmen would be able to see them and the helicopter, but they honestly didn't care since they couldn't be recognized. And they wouldn't be coming back here any time soon.

Dream summoned out the luxury chopper and everyone boarded. He then gave the command.

"Time to go Sophia." 

[Roger!]

Sophia's voice sounded and the blades started spinning. The air draft and loud noise quickly caught the attention of the guards on the walls only a couple hundred meters away. Some even started running towards them from the gates.

It only took a few moments though for the chopper to get off the ground. It then turned towards the direction of the Enchanted Mountain and sped off, leaving any approaching guards flabbergasted as to what the hell that thing was.

 

146