Chapter 37 – Shameless Monkey
4.9k 18 152
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lady looked straight at Riddick with wide eyes and an astonished face.

"R-Riddick?! Is that you!?"

"Hey, Elaina. It's been a while." (Riddick)

"Wha...? Y-you...*deep breath* We have much to talk about, Riddick. Come, my husband will want to see you." (Elaina)

"Sure. Is he..." (Riddick)

"As fanatical as ever? Yes. Even after we had our children."

Elaina turned and led the group towards a staircase to the second floor. Riddick talked as they followed.

"You two had children? After all those years of being married, when did he come around?" (Riddick)

"It actually wasn't long after you disappeared. He was moved by your situation and decided one day that he wanted to have a child. I, of course, didn't give him time to change his mind. I had waited for 57 years, there was no way I would pass up the chance."

"57 years?! But you don't even look a day over 25!" (Dream)

Dream couldn't help but express his astonishment. Elaina really did look young, like a woman in her prime. How could she be that old?! He thought to himself that he really did need to start changing his mindset when it came to age.

Meanwhile, Elaina stopped in her steps and turned to look at Dream's baffled face. She smiled sweetly at the compliment.

"Hoho? And who might this little charmer be?" (Elaina)

"...Oh, the name is Dream, Miss. A pleasure to meet you." (Dream)

Dream recovered quickly from his stupor and gave his introduction.

"Dream...That's a nice name. And how exactly did you come to know Riddick?" (Elaina)

"Uhh...That's..." (Dream)

"A special circumstance. We met about 4 months ago while I was hidden." (Riddick)

Riddick spoke up for Dream. Elaina got the hint and nodded.

"Interesting. Well, it's nice to meet you too Dream." (Elaina)

Elaina greeted him back and continued walking up the stairs.

At the top, there was a door that led to the second floor. Everyone entered and walked into a living room.

(Elaina) "You three can make yourselves comfortable. My husband is up in his study, not that he ever leaves. If you would follow me, Riddick."

"Sure."

Riddick and Elaina went over to another staircase and left. Dream walked over to a couch and took a seat.

"So this is their house I'm guessing." (Dream)

"Probably. It's a nice place too." (Iris)

"Do they run a hotel? This building is big but not that big." (Luna)

Luna and Iris both went to either side of Dream. Luna curled up and cuddled under Dreams arm. Iris also transformed into a fox and laid across his lap. Dream pulled Luna in and started stroking Iris' hair.

"Your dad came here because we could get a house. Maybe they do sell houses, just not here." (Dream)

"Maybe. I wonder who these people are too. They seem close to dad." (Iris)

"Well if we consider that the Old Man is almost 150 years old, then they're probably old friends. I'm interested in something else though." (Dream)

"What's that?" (Iris)

"Why you guys were in the forest. Something big happened, and I'm getting more and more curious." (Dream)

"Oh...We actually don't know the whole story either." (Iris)

"That's fine. I'll hear it straight from the Old Man. I know it might be a sensitive topic." (Dream)

Dream put his hand on Iris' head and rubbed her ears. He had known something was up for a while, but hadn't asked about it to not be too intrusive. But since they had met people who knew the deal, then he had a feeling he would find out soon.

The three relaxed for a bit before they heard the footsteps of three people coming from the stairs. They looked over to see who it was.

The first one to show was Elaine. Soon after, two boys who looked to be in their teens followed behind. Elaine looked at the three on the couch and sported an amused face.

"Oh? I didn't know you guys were involved." (Elaine)

"Hehe..." (Dream)

"Anyways, I want to introduce you guys to my two sons, Mark and Beau." (Pronounced Bow)

Elaina introduced the two boys next to her. Dream looked at them and found that they were twins. He stood up from the couch and walked over, putting out his hand to shake theirs.

"My name is Dream. Nice to meet you two." 

"...Uh-huh. Nice to meet you."

"..."

One of the twins brushed him off and the other didn't respond. Dream thought that handshaking might not be a normal custom, until he saw that their attention wasn't on him. 

'They're staring at Luna? Makes sense. I don't exactly blame them, but do they really have that little self-control?'

[They don't come from a world of social media and porn. Their only stimulus is real life. And I'm sure your girlfriend is a fresh shot of dopamine for them. Not to mention that they're in their 'horny teenager' phase of life.]

'Good point.'

He nodded mentally at Sophia.

After a couple of moments of Dream awkwardly holding out his hand, the twin who brushed him off walked past him and up to Luna who was still on the couch.

"Hello. My name is Mark. What might your beautiful name be?" (Mark)

The twin Mark kneeled down in front of the couch to get eye level with Luna as he said that. Dream just smiled and watched the exchange, wondering where he came to learn such cheesy words.

Luna smiled back at Mark and gave her name.

"My name is Luna."

"Luna...It really is fitting for such a gorgeous woman. If you'd like, I can take you up to my room. I happen to have a necklace that would look amazing on you."

Mark had a wide smile as he tried to woo Luna. Dream, on the other hand, was amazed.

'Oh my god is he serious? His mom is literally right here. He also saw me cuddling her earlier, and just doesn't care. Damn this guy has no shame. I'm honestly questioning how he turned out like this. It seemed like Elaina was pretty cool, not someone who would raise a shameless punk.'

[It's not like parents can monitor their kids 100% of the time. Especially in this world. His parents own a business in the most economically prosperous empire in the world. That means he gets whatever money he wants and does whatever he wants all day. And by his mana levels, he's probably close to second class. He has a bit more than you. So I'm sure he feels pretty high and mighty. Not to mention how his parents are probably rather powerful, with Elaina easily being second class.]

'His dad is probably more powerful too. So ya he's in a pretty damn good position, but still, nothing is worse than an undisciplined, spoiled little shithead. At least I don't need to be worried though. Luna can take care of herself.'

Dream and Sophia conversed silently. Luna also gave her answer.

"Thanks, but no thanks. Hey Dream?" (Luna)

"What's up." (Dream)

Luna got up from the couch and walked over, standing in front of him.

"Can we listen to music?" (Luna)

"Of course."

Dream took out two pairs of headphones for them and asked,

"Any requests?" (Dream)

"Hmm...Surprise me." (Luna)

Dream grinned while nodding and scrolled through his phone. Pressing play on a song.


Song: G-Eazy - The Beautiful Damned (Sinner's Heist Remix)


Luna smiled and went back to the couch where Iris was still laying. Iris laid on her lap and Luna stroked her hair.

"..."

Meanwhile, Mark was left there kneeling with an ugly face. Dream chuckled in his mind and turned towards the other twin.

"You must be Beau then. It's nice to meet you." (Dream)

"Uhh...Nice to meet you too." (Beau)

Dream put out his hand and Beau shook it. He then turned to Elaina.

"I'm guessing the two men are having a heartwarming reunion?" (Dream)

"You could say that. Riddick and my husband have been friends for almost a century. They used to get in all kinds of trouble with their expeditions. That was until my husband, his name is Graff by the way, became obsessed with the world of technology. He eventually came to the Mountain to learn more and research, but Riddick wasn't a very big book person, so he didn't stay. Though they never cut ties. Riddick would always come to visit and take my husband out to level up. So they've always stayed friends."

"Very cool. I'll have to talk with your husband some then. We would have much to learn from each other." (Dream)

Dream got excited at the thought of talking with someone who knew about this world's technology. He could get lots of information about the materials and their properties, and how mana interacts with matter, which would be crucial to increase his strength.

"Oh? Do you happen to study technology as well? That's impressive." (Elaina)

"*muttering* Probably because he's weak and can't level." (Mark)

Dream and Elaina both looked at Mark, who had stood up and shot a glare at Dream. Although he muttered, who in this room didn't have excellent hearing?

"Don't be rude, Mark." (Elaina)

"It's not being rude if it's true. All the weak people are the ones who take up jobs like making things, because they can't fight the dungeons or fields. They're the only ones who study science and stuff. And obviously he's one of them." (Mark)

"Mark-" (Elaina)

"It's okay, miss Elaina." (Dream)

Dream stopped Elaina from trying to reprimand Mark. He could do that himself.

"So Mark. Tell me, did you build this house?"

"Obviously not."

"What about the bed you sleep on?"

"Again. No."

"And the clothes you're wearing. Did you weave them?"

"No."

"The food you eat, the toilet you take a shit in, the carriages you ride in, the soap you wash yourself with. You contributed absolutely nothing to the development of those items. Other people did. And without those people, you would be a naked, homeless man with no food to eat."

"Well I'm not."

"But you are an ignorant, ungrateful little boy who knows nothing about the world and what it was built on. I doubt you've ever worked for a single scrap of food in your life."

"I-I work."

"Oh, you work for mommy and daddy, right? You work in their business that they built and fought for, while spending many times more money than you actually earned, right? Afraid to break it to you, but that doesn't count as working. And you go around shitting on the people who actually make a living for themselves."

"S-So what? That's all they can do, doesn't mean I should concern myself with it. Should I feel bad for being strong or something? What does a weak person such as yourself know about those with power?"

"Heh."

Dream smirked as a chuckle left his mouth. Mark was having a huge misunderstanding, and Dream knew why.

When Dream entered the Mountain, he had begun concealing his mana levels. No mana whatsoever escaped, which made it so that anybody who could sense mana would think he had none. The only way you could find out he had mana was if you scanned him and saw the mana he was holding in. Which Mark obviously never did.

Mark thought he was weak. Dream continued anyway.

"You are right about one thing. You should never feel sorry about the power you possess. You worked for it, and earned it. But what about the mother and father on the street, washing clothes all day so they could make enough money for their 3-year-old child to eat? Or the man in his carpenter shop, carving out and making chairs, tables, beds, like the one in your room. Do they not work hard? Are they not allowed to make a living for themselves?"

"N-No...But I still don't need to worry about them..."

"And I'm not telling you to. What I am telling you to do, is show a little respect."

"You can't tell me what to do. Especially when you're weak."

"Here's another piece of advice then-"

"I don't need advice from you!"

Mark yelled in frustration and threw out a punch towards Dream's stomach. Dream sighed in his mind.

'He can't win verbally so he decided to fight. I guess the monkey can't handle too many words, or he'll explode.'

[Well you also made him look like an idiot in front of his new crush. So ya I'd say he's pretty pissed.]

'Hehe ya I guess I did. So should I pretend to be mad about him punching me after I kick his ass, or just brush it off like I'm cool?'

[Cut him a break. He'll be vengeful either way, so don't stir the pot by making it seem like he's your mortal enemy.]

'Alright alright. I'll just scare him a bit. I'm still a little pissed of from being so blatantly ignored earlier.'

Dream laughed at the conversation in his mind and activated [Mystify], disappearing from everyone's sights.

*whoosh*

"Huh?"

Mark let out a confused sound after his punch only hit air. Elaina, who was about to stop her son, also had a perplexed look.

After Dream disappeared, he continued speaking since he was interrupted last time.

It came like a whisper to his ear,

"Here's my piece of advice." (Dream)

"W-Where?!"

Mark lashed out at the space next to him after hearing the voice, but hit nothing. 

"Never underestimate your enemy, because you never know if someone who looks weak, could actually be-"

"Where are you? Stop hiding!"

Mark tried to lash out again, but froze when a demonic, terrifying voice sounded in his mind.

 

"Ỷ̵̛͈̯͙̪̱̲̞̙͋̐́O̶̗̻͍̱̒͐̄͘͝͠U̸̟̹̬̻͗̂̾͋̀̕͠R̵̳͎̥̝͔͇̯̍̃̀̓ ̸̢̹̺̦̝͖̬̟̱̓͛̌̓̕͠W̷̢͓̖̿O̸̻̞͒̆́̆̐͜͝R̵̢̛̥S̸̢͓̩̱̽̅͒͛̉͊͐͘͝T̷͙͔͓̹͖̐̓̔̏́̏̉̕ͅ ̵̢̧̍͑̓̀͜N̶̝͎̞͇͓͓̩̽͜Ì̷̗̯͍̗̣͆͜G̸̡͔̮͔̭̯͉͕̈́͆̄̽̈́̈͘̕͝Ḧ̴͉̤͙̫̠̼̎̀͝T̵̛̺̯̰͈̻̟̰͊̈́͑́̍̿̈M̷̧̭̦̉͠A̴̧͓̽͆̈́̾̈́͠R̷͇͇̰̀̽E̴̡̨̳̪̤̤̬̩̞͖͂̉͌̅̐̕ "

 

"AHH! GET AWAY!!!"

Mark felt chills all over his body, letting him know he was under immense danger. Under instinct, he activated his mana and tried to cast some magic. Though he was soon grabbed by his mother before anything could happen.

"You are not going to mess up my house." (Elaina)

"B-b-but..."

Mark swung his head around as goosebumps continued to break out on his skin, still on alert for the threat to his life.

Meanwhile, the threat deactivated his stealth, so the terrified monkey hopefully wouldn't get too paranoid.

 

152