Champion, Chapter 47: Bury the Hatchet
2.2k 2 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Still on one chapter per week for the time being.

Normally this is where I'd plug my Patreon, since it's the start of a new month, but at the moment I can't recommend it. As of right now, I have no buffer chapters available for Patrons to read. I hope to get one out tonight, but it remains to be seen.

Aidan
The Realms
Secondday, 5th week of the 9th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Late Afternoon
Searlas's office, Termondoon, Mistvale Highlands

"I told you about my plans for the future at breakfast yesterday," Aidan started. "I want to bring Ceallach Macht back to its former status as somewhere every tribe can come and find peace."

"Which would grant you, as its ruler, a considerable amount of political power," Searlas noted with a wry smile.

Aidan grimaced. "Yes, unfortunately. If there was anyone else I trusted to see my vision through to the end, I'd hand over rulership in a heartbeat."

"There is much to be said for a reluctant ruler. History has few examples of involuntary tyrants—but we digress. Tell me more of your vision and of the Mist Stalkers' place in it."

"Long term? I want the Highlands to be ... not united, exactly. I don't want to rule what I have; I definitely don't want to lead a brand new country. But at least on speaking terms with each other. The new Age will bring wars, and if the tribes keep pointing their knives at each other, we'll be conquered from outside, most likely by the humans to the south. Given how they feel about beastfolk and other non-humans, it's in everyone's best interests to prevent it."

Searlas remained silent, so Aidan continued, "So, to start with, I've declared Ceallach Macht neutral ground. Any tribe is welcome within ... well, we don't have walls just yet, but within the city. Each group with at least twenty-five permanent residents earns a seat on the Council. I've delegated most of my authority regarding purely internal matters to the Council, so having a seat means you have a say in how the city is run."

"Only twenty-five?" Searlas asked. "That seems a low amount for giving political capital to potential enemies."

Aidan shrugged. "Our best guess at the Sapphire Sky Horde's population is under a hundred, and I'm certainly not going to deny them a place on the Council if they do decide to join."

"Ah," the catfolk Chieftan nodded, "I see. Prudent of you. However, I have concerns. First and foremost, every tribe has laws and traditions rooted in their culture; there will inevitably be a conflict. For example, if a Mist Stalker shop is robbed, the proprietor will expect the thief to be collared for at least a year. Given the questions you have been asking around town and the interest your familiar—yes, I know about her—has shown, I expect that is not an option in your city."

Aidan sighed and gestured in frustration. "Believe me, I'm aware. Like you said, it's inevitable, and it will cause conflict. There's nothing I can do to prevent that. What I will say is that I'm offering a sort of, hmm, limited extraterritoriality? I guess that's the best way to put it. Any conflict that's contained only to citizens of a single tribe will fall under the laws of that tribe. As soon as it involves a different tribe or the city itself is where I step in."

"And what of slaves and slavery?" Aoife cut in. "If a Mist Stalker abuses one of their slaves, you will do nothing?"

Aidan winced; she'd cut right to the heart of his moral dilemma. "Unfortunately, I have to become a politician, sacrificing morality to forge together something that will last. I'll chip away at the things I find reprehensible over time, but my dream will be dead from the start if I try to enforce my morals unilaterally. I simply do not have enough leverage to do so. Believe me," Aidan looked up into Aoife's golden eyes, "I despise slavery as much as I can without having the same personal investment in its downfall as you do. The taking of new slaves will be forbidden in Ceallach Macht."

"And, for the record, it is against the law to abuse term slaves here regardless," Searlas added. "There are fewer restrictions on those who committed crimes heinous enough for them to be made slaves for life, but I have little sympathy for them. Thieves, debtors, brawlers, and the like only serve for a year or two, and they retain the same basic rights as they had before their sentences. People like Criodan escape because of politics rather than legality. Legally, if someone beats, starves, or otherwise harms a slave, the victim is freed, and the oppressor takes their place for the full original term."

"Good to know," Aidan said, "although I maintain that if I can do anything about it, no one will ever be made a slave within my lands. In this case, knowing the punishment, I'd free the victim and exile the perpetrator back to Termondoon for you to deal with. It's a fig leaf, but that's politics for you."

Aoife gave him a 'this isn't settled' look but knelt back down at his side. She didn't return her head to his lap, but he felt her tail wrap around his ankle. Not completely in the dog house, then, he thought.

"Anyway, to make a long story short, I invite you to send a delegation to Ceallach Macht, Chieftan. I'd appreciate it if you didn't just send me your malcontents and rebels, though I'll take what I can get." Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses... "Past that, I'm interested in a defensive pact between us."

Searlas raised an eyebrow. "Surely, the Starchasers would never agree to that?"

"Probably not, no. But I control enough of the Council, for now, to force it through if I have to, and I'm only talking about a treaty between the Mist Stalkers and Ceallach Macht. While my military is smaller than yours, Lord Searlas, I do have my own guards, vassals, and, of course, myself. I'll have my Prestige Class within a few months, and I've already fought and killed a Tannath Taig." No need to mention that said creature had captured him twice, killed him once, and that killing it had also cost him his life a second time.

"That's not the only major threat I've fought off, either, and that's something else I wanted to discuss with you." Aidan reached into his spatial storage backpack and pulled out the dragon scale. Searlas half-rose from his chair at the sight, his eyes wide in shock. Aoife perked up, looking interested.

"Is that what I think it is?" he asked, awe creeping into his voice.

"If you think it's a dragon scale, then yes. This came off an adult dragon that attacked a Starchaser convoy recently. We managed to force it to retreat after giving it a few serious Wounds, including cutting off about ten feet of its tail, which is where this came from."

"May I see it?"

"You can have it," Aidan said, passing it over. "The only reason I didn't include it in my initial gifts is that I didn't want to make it public knowledge that there's a dragon active in the Highlands."

Searlas hefted the object in his hands, turning it over and examining it from every angle. "I am no expert on the subject," he mused, "but this looks genuine to me." His eyes sought out Aidan's once more. "You said you drove it off, not killed it; it will be back for revenge. You should have waited until after a defensive agreement was signed before showing me this."

"Should I?" Aidan asked. "Would you have honored the call against a dragon you didn't know I was feuding with? I'd rather put my cards on the table now and be sure whether I have your assistance or not rather than play up a betrayal later from the ruins of my dreams."

"So you would be willing to exclude this dragon from the defensive alliance?"

"I'd prefer not to, but I'd rather have your help to defend us in the aftermath than count you among those looking to capitalize on it."

"You are confident that you will survive its return."

It was a statement rather than a question, but Aidan decided to answer anyway. "Yes. We fought it off once without even knowing what it was we set out to fight. I'm sure Karsarrym will be prepared to defend against what I used against it the first time, but that goes both ways. Aside from its sheer size and strength, its biggest threat is its lightning breath, and that's something I can work to neutralize.

"There are also other considerations. Like I said, we wounded it enough for it to flee from the fight. I blinded it in one eye, damaged its wings, and tore a couple of holes in its chest, and one of the Starchasers severed its tail. Those injuries will take time for it to recover from. The reason I came to you, in particular, is that Karsarrym fled in this direction."

"It what." Searlas stared at him, then gestured to one of the guards. "Naisi, bring Irial." He turned his attention back to Aidan. "I would think that bordering the harpies would teach our patrols to watch the sky, but it appears that I am mistaken. Unfortunately, if you were hoping for information on its lair, I have none for you. We would not be here if I knew of a dragon making its home in these lands. As one might imagine, they do not bend the knee to lesser races."

Aidan nodded. "I expected as much. Would you be willing to send me whatever information you find? I do not believe it could have fled the Highlands completely with the damage to its wings."

"You are serious in your intent to fight it? Sane individuals would find somewhere else to live. 'Seeking a dragon to slay' is a euphemism for suicide for a reason."

"I am. We could run, but not far, and we'd have to fight whichever tribe we invaded for new land. The result would be a slow, exhausting death. And, with help, I think we can kill it, either by assaulting its lair before it recovers or by setting a trap for its return. I'd rather do the former, but I'm prepared for the latter if it comes to it. The cost will be high regardless, I know, but I don't have much choice. Besides, I am prepared to be very generous to those who help."

"How generous are we talking, here?" Searlas leaned forward, interest plain to see.

"Karsarrym is over a hundred feet long—or was before Ysbail happened, anyway. What could you do with a thousand of those scales and, say, twenty bones of varying sizes? And however much blood you can find storage for."

"Equip an army," was Searlas's succinct reply. "You would give such riches away?"

"To secure the future? Yes."

"A powerful answer. I will consider it." The door opened, admitting a familiar catfolk man into the room. "Ah, perfect timing, Irial! Lord Aidan, Marshal Irial, I believe you two are already acquainted? Good. Irial, I have just been informed that there is a dragon active in our part of the Highlands. It overflew Mist Stalker territory after being defeated by Lord Aidan and the Starchasers."

Lord Aidan and the Starchasers is my Jefferson Starship cover band's name, Aidan thought to himself with a mental snort.

"That is grave news," the Marshal replied. His gaze was fixed on the scale atop Searlas's desk. "I see he brought evidence."

"Yes. It appears genuine to me. Go ahead and have it examined, but for now, I believe it prudent to take Lord Aidan at his word. I want you to organize patrols to find out whether this Karsarrym is holed up within my lands. Pull the troops from the Starchaser border if you need more manpower; we will be signing a non-aggression pact with them shortly. I want the dragon found if it's here."

"Of course, Chieftain." Irial's eyes flickered to Aidan for a second before returning to Searlas. "If I may ask, what are your orders if we find it?"

"Observe only, in full Mist Shroud stealth and from as great a distance as possible. I am not prepared to poke a wounded bear in its cave, not just yet. But I want to be notified immediately. I don't care if I'm balls-deep in Myfanwy; this takes priority."

"Yes, sir." Irial saluted, then turned and left.

"You are an honest man," Searlas said to Aidan once the door closed. "That can be a virtue, or it can be a noose around your neck. As it happens, I have a vested interest in not being surrounded by enemies, so you have not hung yourself today, Lord Aidan. I still need to consider whether to risk providing you with overt assistance against the dragon, but I will pass along my scouts' reports to you regardless, and I am open to a defensive alliance. We can meet again tomorrow afternoon to go over the specifics if that suits your schedule?"

"Yes, that's fine," Aidan nodded, rising from his seat. "Will the contract and non-aggression pact paperwork be completed tonight?"

"The contract can be; treaties are more involved. Is the matter that urgent to you?"

Aidan placed a hand on Aoife's shoulder and gave her a gentle squeeze. "Yes, it is; if you plan to betray the treaty, it won't be before you sign it, and I'd not have Aoife spend another night like this if we can avoid it."

Searlas nodded and rose as well. "Very well. I will bring the contract myself, then, so that if it meets your approval, we can finalize everything and transfer Aoife's control bracelet to you."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. Until later this evening, then." Aidan gave Searlas a nod of respect and exited, Aoife leaning her head against his shoulder with her tail wrapped around his waist.

Pronunciation Guide (infinitesimal spoiler warning, names only without any details)

Special thanks to Cenomy, Orange, Somedude, and Lupus for their exceptional support on Patreon!

54