Champion, Chapter 54: A Friendly Ear
2.8k 1 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aidan
The Realms
Fourthday, 2nd week of the 10th month, Age of the Chosen 1
Dawn
The Chancellor's Chambers, Caer Macht, Mistvale Highlands

Breakfast was a simpler, more casual affair than dinner the previous night. Ailis puttered around the kitchen naked, not to tempt Aidan, but because there was no reason to cover up. Rather than cook, she prepared a bowl of fruit and slices of bread and cheese, which she brought back into the bedroom along with a steaming pot of tea.

"So," she began after nibbling on an apple slice, "tell me more about this new complicated woman of yours."

Aidan sighed. "She's got a magical slave collar on that forces her to obey whoever is bound to the linked bracelet." Aidan gestured at the golden jewelry on his wrist. "The collar can't be removed through force or magic, and commanding her to ignore commands didn't work on its automatic control functions."

"And what are those?"

"She can't attack me, even something as simple as a slap. She can't leave the bracelet's immediate proximity if I'm not wearing it, and even then, she has to stay within a mile or two. I also know where she is, have a constant low-level one-way empathic link with her, and," Aidan grimaced, "the bracelet tells me way too much detail about her fertility."

"Ah," Ailis intoned. "So, she has limited autonomy and privacy, despite your best intentions. How have your interactions with her gone?"

"That's a good question. It's hard for me to be sure. When we first met, Aoife was under Searlas's—the current Mist Stalker chieftain—control. I felt an instant connection to her the first time I saw her, and it seemed mutual."

"And it was more than just physical attraction? I am told that she is remarkably beautiful, and you are rather handsome yourself." Ailis trailed her fingers across Aidan's bare chest for emphasis.

"She is," Aidan confirmed, "but so are Brighid, Sunnild, and you, and she was not the only one of Searlas's women present. No, I'm not sure why, but she stood out from everyone else in the audience chamber, and her eyes were fixed on me from the moment I walked in the door."

"Hmm. And after that?"

Aidan blushed. "She brought us back to her suite in Searlas's manor, told me that she had been ordered to seduce me—which did not turn out to be the whole truth—then, um, proceeded to do so."

Ailis snorted. "Really, Aidan?"

"Hey, I was drunk, Sunnild was very drunk, and Aoife insisted that it was something she wanted above and beyond the collar making her do it. And Brighid made it clear to me that if the opportunity presented itself and Sunnild approved, I was welcome to take a lover."

"Really, Aidan?" Ailis's tone changed from amusement to concern. "In the heart of someone else's power, and you and Sunnild both got drunk?"

"I know," Aidan groaned. "It was idiotic. I should have been much more careful about how much we were both drinking, but between Searlas's entire court stopping by to feel me out and Aoife being both useful and distracting, I didn't notice that the servants kept refilling our glasses whenever we took a sip."

"Tsk. It appears you need lessons in more than just magic. I will see what I can do in that regard. Moving on, you said that she lied when she told you she had been ordered to seduce you?"

Aidan wiggled his hand back and forth. "Kind of. It came out later that Searlas heavily implied that he wouldn't mind if we slept together, but he never gave her an explicit command to do so. She did it in an attempt to endear herself to me so that I'd try to buy her off Searlas."

"Which you did." Ailis's voice was dry.

"Which I did," Aidan confirmed. "She wasn't happy with him, and I despise slavery to start with. I couldn't leave her in that situation without at least trying to free her."

"And, of course," Ailis drawled, "the fact that she was an enemy agent by her own admission and therefore you could not be clear of her motivations was overruled by her eagerness to bend over and spread her legs for you."

Aidan frowned. "I knew at the time that the situation was sketchy. I did turn her down at first. I won't have you demeaning her, though. She did what she had to in a bad situation."

"Aidan, she was lying and manipulating you from the very start." Ailis turned toward him, a look of deep concern on her face.

"I know," he sighed. "Like I said, it's complicated. Yes, Aoife manipulated both me and Searlas. I can't blame her. Put yourself in her position, Ailis. What would you do if, one day, a slave merchant found you, slapped a magical control collar on you, and sold you to someone?"

"You did not know that was true at the time," Ailis protested.

"I saw the collar. It doesn't have a clasp; it's one solid piece of metal that sits flush with her neck, Ailis. Even drunk, I could tell it was no normal piece of jewelry. I knew there was a chance she made the whole thing up, but you weren't there. You didn't see how desperate she was. And, while it doesn't justify my decisions in the moment, I have proof now that at least some of what she said was true."

Ailis relaxed and let out a sigh. "My daughter is rubbing off on you as much as the reverse, it seems. I would prefer if you were less reckless in the future, my Lord." She waved her hand through the air and continued, "Moving on, then: when did things change with her? It has not escaped my notice that, while Aoife arrived with you, she separated from you before you returned to Caer Macht."

"Yeah. That's where it starts to get really tangled. The first night after we finalized the transfer of ownership, we tested the limits of my ability to negate the collar's control, after which Aoife made her gratitude very clear. Since then, though, she's been affectionate in public—initiating hugs and kisses, lots of touching, and so on—but has avoided both Sunnild and me at night. And I haven't seen her since we arrived.

"Furthermore," Aidan grimaced, "I talked to Antoin, Chieftain Searlas's representative. One of his jobs is to keep an eye on her for Searlas, and he believes that Aoife is testing my limits. The thing is, aside from the collar's restrictions and basic legal and moral stuff, I don't want to put any on her. Antoin thinks that's making things worse, causing her to act out and, potentially, become paranoid."

Ailis hummed. "If Aoife's experiences have been traumatic enough, it is possible that she is having difficulty adjusting to the change in her circumstances. From her perspective, a certain degree of paranoia is only reasonable; you hold an unreasonable amount of power over her."

Ailis's voice sharpened. "It is also possible that she is still manipulating you toward her own hidden ends. From what you have said, she seems like an intelligent girl, and most Mist Stalkers are skilled at stealth and deception. Even ignoring our recent history with them, the cats are well-known in the Highlands for being subtle and secretive."

"And thus my indecision," Aidan confirmed with a sigh. "Do you have any advice?" He took a few bites of breakfast while he waited for Ailis to collect her thoughts.

"Without having met Aoife myself, I hesitate to make any definitive judgments regarding her motivations," the Druid said at last. "However, I can offer some general advice. First, no woman enjoys feeling ignored. Even disregarding her status, if she has any positive feelings about you, leaving her to her own devices while you lavish attention on other women will not have endeared her toward you."

Aidan winced. Yeah, that was fair.

"Second, have you ever been explicit with your intentions toward Aoife? Have you told her that you are not placing any restrictions on her? Have you asked her whether she wishes to continue your physical relationship or start a romantic one?" At Aidan's expression, Ailis shook her head and continued, "If you treated me the way you have Aoife, I would be rather cross with you. Regardless of the circumstances, if you wish to salvage a positive relationship out of this mess, you need to go talk to Aoife."

"Well, when you put it that way, I feel like a complete idiot."

Ailis patted Aidan's cheek. "Not an idiot, my Lord, just a male. My suggestion would be to track her down, be honest about your feelings for her—you do have feelings for her, yes? Then be straightforward, apologize for abandoning her, and invite her to dinner with you and Brighid tonight. And be sure to inform Brighid that she needs to expect a guest."

"Yes, ma'am," Aidan confirmed. "Thank you for the advice."

"I am your Chancellor, my Lord. That is my job." Then Ailis smirked and said, "Although helping you seduce another woman into your harem rather exceeds my job description. I think I deserve future considerations for going above and beyond, yes?"

Aidan laughed and gave her a kiss that soon turned heated. "Yes, dear," he said when they came up for air. "I owe you a favor. I'm sure you can find some creative way to call that in."

"Hmm. I might just hang onto it for a while. Never know when I might need to have the Lord of Ceallach Macht dancing on my fingertips?"

"I'm starting to regret my decisions."

Ailis looked at Aidan with hooded eyes and a smug smirk. "Now, now, Lord Aidan, no taking it back. Do not worry; I will make sure any embarrassment you suffer is only in private."

"I'd better leave before I get even further behind, then." Aidan stood up, then leaned down to press his lips to Ailis's, cupping her cheek in his hands. "Thank you for dinner and breakfast. I enjoyed the evening a great deal, and look forward to spending more time with you."

"He says as he leaves to lure another woman to his bed." Despite the sarcasm in her words, Ailis's cheeks were pink, and her eyes showed uncharacteristic tenderness. "Go on," she urged, "and remember to be clear about what you want."


Aidan
Mid-Morning
Ceallach Macht

Aoife was still in the same general area as the previous evening, according to the bracelet's guidance. After taking his leave of Ailis and checking in with Brighid and Sunnild, Aidan gathered up his bodyguards and headed out into the city. He took a moment to orient himself among the Idyllic Forum's gardens, then set out to the north, around the edge of the hill.

"Once we find Aoife, I want you all to keep your distance," Aidan told his escort. "She is incapable of harming me, and I don't want her to feel threatened. Just keep your eyes on the perimeter in case anyone else comes wandering by." None of them looked happy, but they didn't argue.

Aidan's direction sense wasn't precise enough to lead straight to Aoife; it only gave him a general bearing and a vague sense of distance. This section of the city was still full of ruined buildings, so heading straight for her was easier said than done. Triangulating her position also proved difficult due to the inaccuracy involved. In the end, Aidan and his escorts wound up wandering through the empty, mist-shrouded streets of Ceallach Macht for almost two hours before Aidan felt a spark of excitement and recognition through the bracelet.

Aidan scanned the ruins ahead of him. He couldn't see anyone, but that didn't mean much. He knew Aoife was proficient in the Mist Shroud technique that made her almost invisible in the ever-present fog, and he had never bothered to train his Observation skill to counter it.

"Aoife?" Aidan called out. "I'd like to talk to you if you don't mind."

"Yeah, you and your four big tough bodyguards." Her voice was dampened by the fog and echoed in strange ways from the crumbling walls around them, preventing him from narrowing down her location.

Aidan waved his guards off. "Go on. She can't hurt me. Keep anyone from interrupting us."

"My Lord—" Ruari started to speak, but Aidan cut him off.

"Please, Ruari. Aoife is not a physical threat to me, and your presence will hurt more than it helps."

The veteran was silent for a moment before signaling to his squad. "We will be within earshot."

"Thank you, Ruari." Aidan waited until the centaurs were no more than shadows in the mist, then turned back in Aoife's direction. "There, they're gone. Can we talk now?"

"Nobody's stopping you," she snarked.

Aidan sighed. "Aoife, can you stop hiding? I have no intention of hurting you, and I'd rather look at you when we're speaking."

"All you have to do is command me. Why not do it?"

"Because it would be wrong," was the only answer Aidan could give. "I'm not Searlas or the slaver who collared you. I don't want to put chains on you. I just want to know that you're OK and happy, and if you aren't, I want to help change that."

"If that's what you wanted, why did you leave me to wander alone for the last two days?" Aoife's voice came from Aidan's left this time. "You brought me to your city, away from everything I've ever known, then abandon me to fuck your woman. I get that you missed her; I don't blame you for that, but you just ... left me."

"That isn't quite how I remember things," Aidan said. "I admit that I should have gotten you situated before Brighid dragged me off, and I should have sought you out before this. I fucked up, and I'm sorry. But two days ago, it was you who walked away from me. I offered to show you around, but you turned me down."

Aidan waited for a long moment, but no response came. He frowned, wondering if Aoife had decided to leave, then jumped as a warm, soft body pressed against his back and a pair of arms wrapped around his waist.

"You're right," Aoife murmured. "I'm sorry, too. I... it's so hard to trust anyone, now. You already proved yourself, did your best to set me free, but in the back of my head, I keep expecting you to change, to show your true face."

Aidan turned around in her embrace, looking down into Aoife's golden, cat-slitted eyes. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her against his chest and stroking her back. Aoife turned her head and nuzzled her cheek against Aidan's chest; a soft rumble emerged from her belly.

"This is nice," Aoife said. "No one hugged me at Searlas's manor. Searlas amused himself with his actual consorts, and I wasn't close to anyone else. Held them at arm's length."

"There's no need for that here, Aoife. I'm happy to give you a hug anytime you want, and if I'm not available or you're not comfortable coming to me, I know Sunnild feels the same. She gives amazing hugs."

Aoife pushed off from his chest, but only far enough to put a few inches of space between them. Aidan's hands dropped to her hips as Aoife looked up at him. Her long, fluffy tail lashed the air behind her. "What do you want from me?" she asked, voice soft and tremulous.

"I already told you," Aidan replied, "I want you to be safe, comfortable, and happy."

"No," Aoife shook her head in denial, "that's what you want for me. I'm asking what you want from me. What do you want me to do? How do you want everything to go forward from here?"

Aidan took a moment to decide how to word his response. Aoife's question didn't catch him off-guard, thanks to his talk with Ailis, but he didn't want to flub his answer. "I like you," he said at last. "You're beautiful, of course, and sexy as hell, and I haven't had much chance to get to know you, but what I've seen, I like.

"What do I want from you? It feels greedy to say it, but I want you to be my woman. Not because of the damned collar, but because you want to be. I want you to be my lover, and if you're interested, Sunnild's, Brighid's, and even Ailis's lover as well. And, hypocritical as it is, I want to be the only man you're interested in. Beyond that, I'd like to help you find a place here, work that fulfills you."

Aoife listened to Aidan's answer with quiet intensity, staring up unblinkingly into his eyes. Once he finished, she tilted her head, considering him. After a moment, her lips quirked up into a smile and she stood up on her tiptoes, her arms wrapping around Aidan's neck. "Good," was all she said before she gave Aidan a hard, hungry kiss.

Aidan's arms tightened around Aoife's waist as her tongue surged into his mouth and her soft breasts flattened against his chest. Aoife moaned against Aidan's lips, and her claws raked up and down his back before slipping down and tugging at his belt. Aidan let his hands drift lower in response, grabbing ahold of the Mist Stalker's plush rear.

Aoife's nimble fingers pulled Aidan's belt free of his pants and plunged into his underwear, another moan tearing free from her throat as she felt his appreciation of the situation. Then, as suddenly as she started the kiss, Aoife spun out of Aidan's grasp and darted a few feet away. "If that's what you want," she panted with a wild grin, "you're going to have to work for it. I told you before—I prefer to be the one being chased. Catch me if you can!" With that said, Ceallach Macht's mist rose in a swirl around her, removing her from Aidan's sight.

Aidan blinked at the spot where Aoife had just been, then glanced down, where she had pushed his pants down to his knees. "Why, you little minx," he muttered, then did his best to pull his pants back up—a task made significantly harder by the condition her amorous assault left him in. "Just wait until I catch you!"

Pronunciation Guide (infinitesimal spoiler warning, names only without any details)

Special thanks to Cenomy, Orange, and Lupus for their exceptional support on Patreon!

54