No chapter next week & other news
1.4k 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is just a quick heads-up to let you know there won't be a chapter next Monday. I'm in the middle of moving and didn't manage to get it written in time. Chapters will resume as normal on the 29th.

As for the other news, once I wrap up Champion (current estimate is somewhere in the Chapter 95-100 range), I'll be taking a break from Paths of the Chosen. It's been my sole focus, writing-wise, for the last 2 1/2 years, and I'm starting to run out of steam on it. That isn't to say I'm quitting or growing bored of it, just that I need time to recharge my batteries for the story. I know "hiatus" is practically a curse word, but I promise it'll be temporary.

One of the things I want to do before returning to Paths for Book 3 is do another revision pass of book 1 and the first revision pass of book 2. There are multiple reasons for this. I feel my opening chapters are particularly bad for their intended purpose (to hook an audience). There are rough spots I want to smooth out in Chosen (including some revisions to That Chapter) and a lot of editing I need to do for Champion. And, perhaps most relevant, I feel like I need to get all that done before I can release either book in ebook versions, which is something I do want to get done for a multitude of reasons.

Regardless, that's more in the mid-term. In the short-term (past the end of Champion), I'll be focusing on the new story I've been teasing for the last 9 months or so. It's another epic fantasy, this time set in a world inspired by and drawing concepts from Eastern European mythology and folklore. The magic system is cultivation-like, although I hesitate to call it a xianxia because I won't be playing the same tropes. No (or at least no more than in any western fantasy) Arrogant Young Masters, Heaven-Defying Talents, corrupt elders sacrificing the younger generation for their own advancement, etc etc. Instead of Sects, there are western fantasy-style Guilds, and instead of exploiting the powerless masses, they're tasked with protecting them. The intent of the story is to be a Shounen-style action adventure with a philosophical undertone asking what it means to be a hero.

Here's a sneak peak at the two main characters of Essence of a Hero:

 

Anyway, I hope all my American readers have a wonderful Thanksgiving and everyone in the rest of the world has a great week as well. As said, I'll be back with Chapter 87 on Monday the 29th.

16