Chapter Ten-What element I’m I
2.2k 4 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s impossible for me to tell you how to activate your Diverge ability.” Ave said while folding her arms and tilting her head back as if she was pondering something.

“The way to use your Diverge ability varies from person to person. Some people’s Diverge ability can only be used in particular situations, while others are constantly active. Some heroes can control theirs by will.” she said as she tapped her finger against her arm, a habit she had had since she was young. “How and when you’re able to use your Diverge ability is up to you and your luck.” She uncrossed her arms and smiled at Shango in a teasing manner.

That made sense to Shango. Even though Shango would not find out what his Diverge ability was until later, he was still very excited about the possibility of what his Diverge ability might be. Thinking for a moment, another question entered Shango’s mind. He gazed at Ave for a second before asking her his next question. “Aren’t you a hero descendant? What kind of Diverge ability do you have?” Excitement could be heard in his voice when he asked Ave his question, even though he tried hard to hide it.

Shango’s main reason for asking this question was to see if he could get any hints on how to use his ability by seeing a Diverge ability used firsthand. Plus, he wanted to know what kind of Diverge ability ran in the family that ruled the kingdom and learn more about King Mortimer.

Ave’s eyes lit up in excitement. Even though she was at odds with most of her family, she was still proud to be a descendant of a hero.

Straightening her posture, putting on a more princess-like aura and speaking in a voice that seemed to draw in anybody listening, she began to tell Shango about her family's Diverge ability.

“People with the Mortimer bloodline can use more than one element. Our ancestor was the only person to ever master each element. Unlike other people, the Mortimer’s can specialize as both Knights and Mages. Many of the commoners like to call us Mageknights.” she said proudly as she puffed out her chest.

Seeing how proud Ave was talking about her family’s Diverge ability, Shango could only look at her with a somewhat smiling face. He felt that it was a lackluster ability in his opinion, even though he would find out just how wrong that opinion later.

He chose not to interrupt her for the most part because she reminded him of a cute child telling her friends about a new toy she had acquired. Just looking at her actions remind him a bit of Yuki, so he just let her talk for the moment.

 Rolla, who had remained silent for the most part had a warm, gentle smile on her face as she watched Ave talked to Shango. It had been many years since Ave had talked this much to a person beside her or the imprisoned demon Prince. She was bewildered at how Ave could interact with Shango on such friendly terms since this was their first formal meeting, and yet Ave talked as if they were childhood friends.

She sensed that Shango might have had something to do with it. Even she was being drawn to him the longer she stayed around him, which caused a bit of confusion within her.

The only human who she truly admired and was not fearful of was Ave, the person who saved her from a terrible situation. Thinking about her past and the little girl who changed her destiny, the smile she wore became even brighter.

After listening to Ave talk for a while, a few more questions came to Shango’s head. So he interrupted her talking to ask her a couple more questions.

“So are all of Mortimer descendants able to use all the elements also?”

Hearing Shango speak brought Ave back from the little world she had entered while explaining her family’s Diverge ability. Ave had an awkward look on her face because she knew she had gotten a bit too excited. Toning down her excitement, she went on to answer Shango’s question.

“No, remember what I said earlier about how, as time passes, the hero’s bloodline thins out and becomes a bit weaker with each generation? It’s the same for us. Even though we can’t control all the elements like our ancestors, we can at least control more than one. Unless you’re a genius like my father, The First Prince and The Second Princess, who can all use more than three elements.”

Listening to Ave talk, Shango became more interested in his element. He knew that a person’s elements played a significant role in how they would fight.

“What elements are you able to use?” Shango asked her out of curiosity.

“I’m able to use both water and earth elements. I trained my Earth element as a Knight and trained my water element as a Mage.” she said, smiling.

Even though she was smiling, Ave became disappointed. She just remembered that she had to restart her training all over again. It would be years before she could reach that point again, and by then, instead of being considered a genius above people in the same generation, she would just be an average person.

Looking at Ave, Shango could tell she had become disappointed as she talked about her elements, so he asked another question to change the topic quickly.

“So what element do I have?” he asked like a child on Christmas Eve who could no longer bear not opening their gifts.

37