Chapter Twelve-Trusted Advisors
2.1k 6 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We should wait a while before we do anything rash,” Edwin spoke as he turned the page of an old red rusted book he was reading, which happen to be his grimoire.

“We should at least take precautions. We are now at a crucial part of our campaign. Any detraction should be removed immediately.” A sharp look could be seen in Darwin’s eyes as he finished speaking.

Sighing a little, Edwin said, “You’re right, Darwin, but it would be such a great waste to get rid of him right away. The price of losing someone of Princess Avelina’s potential cannot be ignored. Combined with the fact that we cannot use the hero summoning ritual for several decades, I think it’s would best that we at least try to get something out of this situation.”

Edwin paused for a moment to lick his finger so he could turn to the next page in his grimoire before he continued to speak.

“We should watch how he grows for a while first, and if it’s like how King Mortimer says, then we should nip the problem in the bud straight away. But if he behaves himself and if we could use him, then we should use him.” Edwin said as he looked up from his grimoire, a slight smile on his face before he returned his eyes to his grimoire.

Looking between both his trusted advisors, King Mortimer gave a nod of agreement.

“I agree with Edwin as well. If we could benefit from him, then all is well, but the moment he shows any signs of disruption, we shall deal with him right away.” King Mortimer said with a dark expression. “All right, that’s enough of this discussion. Are there any more critical matters that need to be discussed before we part?”

“Yes, there is.” Darwin pulled a piece of paper out and handed it to King Mortimer.

“Recently, the number of attempted break-ins by the demon race has increased over the last couple of weeks. Through thorough interrogation with one of the ones we captured, we found that on him.”

“Their plans are getting more elaborate as the days go on and we are wasting too many resources trying to keep those lowly demon bastards from retaking that prisoner. I think it’s about time to finally execute that so-called Demon King before one of their plans is successful.” Darwin said as something cold flickered in his eyes.

Hearing Darwin’s suggestion, a conflicted look appeared on King Mortimer’s face. If looked upon closely, he appeared to be struggling with something.

After knowing King Mortimer for a long time, Darwin could tell that King Mortimer was struggling with something. After thinking for a moment, he suddenly realized what the problem was, and a complicated smile appeared on his face.

“Hilde, you don’t sti—”

Before he could finish his words, Darwin felt an intense bloodlust-filled mana leak from King Mortimer as he stood up swiftly. Instinctively, he grabbed his sword, stood up, and released his mana as well.

“It’s best if you don’t finish that little sentence, Darwin.” he said with an overbearing voice while releasing more mana.

Not backing down in the slightest, Darwin released more mana as well. “I see you want to go, little Hilde. How many months has it been since I gave you a good whooping?” Darwin sneered.

In most cases, a knight going against his king would be considered a high crime, but with these two old childhood friends, it was regarded as an everyday event when it was just the three of them. Edwin didn’t even lift his head when he felt the two unleash their mana. He only uttered a spell that placed a barrier up so the mana released by the two wouldn’t cause problems for the weaker people around the area. He then shook his head and continue to read his book.

Seeing the anger on King Mortimer’s face, Darwin could only give him a bitter smile because he knew he had hit the greatest sore spot of King Mortimer.

“Fine, fine. I admit, it’s my mistake this time.” Darwin retracted his mana and fell back it to his seat, and King Mortimer did the same.

“One of these days I’ll have your neck for being so rude.” grumbled King Mortimer.

“Sure, take it, but who is going to protect that neck of your once I’m gone?” Darwin said gleefully. King Mortimer could only let out a small snort before downright ignoring Darwin.

“Are you two done yet?”

Both King Mortimer and Darwin gave each other a look and nodded. Seeing that the two were no longer bickering, Edwin went on and said, “Regarding the previous topic, I would not say he has used up all his uses. There are many ways we could still use that demon to gain some advantages against the demon race, so we should keep him alive a little while longer.”

With Edwin also agreeing to let the former demon king live longer, Darwin could only throw in the towel. “All right, then I will just make plans to increase the guards around the prison,” Darwin said, folding his arms.

King Mortimer let out a small sigh and gave Darwin a nod of approval, before deciding to end their meeting. On the way out, Darwin seemed to remember something.

“Hilde, how's little Nicolas’ research coming along?”

Becoming angry, because once again, Darwin had called him by that nickname of his, King Mortimer said, “Nicolas’ research is coming along smoothly from what I’ve been told. The maid I sent earlier reported back that he has yet to find the documents I’m looking for, but he has gone through about 30 to 40 percent of them. He should have the information within a week.” King Mortimer said in an irritated voice.

32