Chapter 23 – Thorn Freed
1.2k 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing eating a great breakfast and having an encounter with a charming girl, Shango was feeling good about how his day was going so far and was looking forward to meeting the weapon master and getting his Artifact Weapon. As the three walked, Ave and Rolla informed him about the weapon master and what type of person he was.

From what he was being told, the weapon master’s name was Thorn Freed. He was the youngest son of the once-great Duke family, but over time was demoted to the rank of a baron due to unforeseen circumstances. With eight older siblings, who were all in a fierce competition to inherit what little was left of their family wealth, he had no chance of becoming the head of his family. So instead, he enlisted into the military at the ripe old age of thirteen. It only took a few short years for Thorn to emerge as an elite Knight, overwhelming his enemies with his earth element and his sword skills. Racking up war merit, one battle after another, he became a Knight known for shaking up a battlefield.

At 21, he happened upon an Artifact Weapon among the spoils of a defeated enemy that increase his strength even farther to the point where he became a Knight without an equal in his generation.

“Wow, Thorn sounds like a complete bad-ass, just like the main character,” Shango said, well nodding his head after listening to Ave’s story about Thorn. 

“Main character? What’s that?”

“Let’s see, it would be like the main person in a play or story, a hero of sorts.”

“Oh, I get it,” Ave said

“Anyway, why is a guy like him in a place like this instead of on a battlefield somewhere?” Shango asked.

“Right now, he is the temporary weapon master while he is recovering.”

“Recovering from what?” Shango asked, a shocked expression on his face.

With a bitter smile, Ave replied, “While out on a simple escort mission, he lost an arm in an ambush.”

“Who in the hell could accomplish such a thing? From what you guys have been telling me, he is like a one-man army.” 

“Fang Jedrek, the oldest and most vicious of the Beast King’s generals. If it were not for the weird Artifact Weapon, Thorn would have lost more than just an arm.” Rolla said.

“That makes sense. To beat a young monster, you send an old monster, but damn, an arm? Is it possible to recover from that?” Shango said as he grabbed his right arm, thinking about what it must have felt like to lose a limb.

“It is possible, but it’s very costly. We are negotiating with the Holy Nimbus Kingdom to do so now.”

“That’s good to hear. About how long will it be till he’s able to recover?”

“Honestly, we don’t know. We have been negotiating for about four years now.”

“Four years, what’s the hold-up?” 

“Would you want to arm a future enemy, Shango? Even though we are united right now in a fight against the other races, we are still at odds with each other in the shadows.” 

“Damn, this kingdom has so many enemies, don’t they? Now they’re my enemy too, I guess. This is getting beyond depressing.” Shango said while shaking his head.

“It is, so let us talk about some else. What kind of weapon do you want to get?” Rolla asked.

“What kind of weapons are available?” Shango said, glad not to be talking about the other topic. 

“Hmm, there are many types of weapons to choose from; swords, maces, and battle-axes. You name it, you will probably find it, but the quality varies greatly. Thorn should know where the best Artifact Weapons are kept.” she said, “If you want an excellent weapon, just mention that you know Edwin. People say he is—” 

“Rolla!” Ave just stared at her over her shoulder like a grumpy kitten.

Shrugging her shoulders, Rolla said, “It’s not like he will not hear about it, eventually.”

As the two went back and forth, Shango became curious about what Rolla was about to say. Just as he was about to ask, Ave said, “We’re here.”

Without realizing it, they had reached their destination. They were outside a large plain-looking door, the only noticeable thing about it was a large symbol resembling a sword in a stone. Looking at it reminded Shango of the story of King Arthur and his Excalibur. 

Using the back of her hand, Ave knocked on the door. “Sir Thorn.”

A few seconds passed and no one answered. She knocked again, harder this time. “Sir Thorn.”

“Shit!”

From behind the door, they heard movement.

“I thought you said that this guy hates people being late.”

“He does.”

“Come in.”

Entering the room, Shango noticed right away that it reeked of what he presumed to be alcohol. Inside the room were only two things, a giant golden book that was floating in the center and a bed that was in the corner with a man sitting upon it, who was in a simple brown robe.

Getting up, he made his way towards them, stumbling as he walked. He was a tall man, about 6’6, with red hair that nearly touched his wide square shoulders and eyes that were a nice beautiful earthy color.

“Hello Princess Avelina,” he said as he bowed before her.

“Good even, Sir Thorn.”

“And you must be the new hero I’ve heard so much about.” he said as he reached out his lone hand.

Giving him a handshake, Shango said, “I would not call myself a hero just yet,” with a smile on his face.

Just as he was about to say something, his face contorted and then, “BLARGH!”

He barfed all over Shango.

19