Chapter 14 – Pepsi’s Short-Lived Adventure
370 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I snuck quietly down the hallway, towards the sound of voices. Mommy was up ahead, talking to some people. I didn’t want to get seen, or else mommy would put me back in the not-home apartment. I crept forward until I could just barely see into the room.  There were so many people!  Several men – some white, some black, some brown – and some cats and dogs!?  My fur bristled at the idea of the dog human, but he didn’t smell bad and mommy seemed to like him.  I puffed out my tail a bit anyway, to let him know I meant business, if he saw me!

 

                The cat people couldn’t have been more different – one big and strong and handsome, and the other small, like a kitten boy almost.  The small one was cute and smelled nice, but the big one smelled musky and powerful.  I liked them both immediately.  I hoped neither of them was Jessica, because I didn’t want to have to claw them!

 

                I sat and listened to the people.  I had been able to understand mouth noises long enough that I knew if I listened to them, I’d learn their human names pretty quickly.  A few minutes passed, and I learned the cat boy was Jimmy or Shut up Jimmy – I wasn’t sure – and the Tiger man was Michael.  The stretchy man with the nice hat was Kumar, and the dog-man was Rain.  So far, no Jessica.  Drat!  I hissed in frustration, and realized my error immediately as both Jimmy and Michael turned and saw me!

 

                I growled, and got my hackles up, and rushed over to mommy, and tried to climb her leg.  She wouldn’t leave me here with these strangers!  I mewed as mommy bent over and picked me up, cuddling and skritching the way I really liked.  I started purring, and relaxed in her arms.  Jessica could wait, for now, I thought.  I have a long memory.  The hunt would continue – after cuddles.

 

 

*              *              *

 

                “Looks like someone missed you.”  Michael said, chuffing. 

 

                “Yeah.  I’m not sure how my little escape artist even got out of her room?”  I replied.  “At least she’s okay.”  Pepsi mrowed a little bit, and purred in my arms. Michael raised an eyebrow, and Jimmy started laughing – and Pepsi looked rather indignant!

 

                “What’s up?” I asked.

 

                “Pepsi was apparently stalking Jessica.  She thought she was protecting you, because Jessica made you cry.”  Michael replied.  “She was going to go searching for her ‘after cuddles,’ or so I think.”

 

                I looked at Pepsi and smiled.  My little baby was trying to protect me…  But still it was dangerous for her to be outside her room.  She could get stepped on!  “I’ll take her back to my room in a few minutes.  Can you understand her, Michael?”

 

                “Yeah – Jimmy can too, probably.”

 

                “Yeah, I can.”  Jimmy grinned.  “Pepsi was on the hunt.  Right now, she’s really indignant we’re not respecting her as a hunter, and she thinks it’s a bit humiliating.  Sorry, Pepsi – but it’s true!”

 

                “Mreow!” Pepsi called, frustrated, as if to say “So sue me.” 

 

                “Can you tell her to leave Jessica alone?  Tell her that I’ll deal with her.”  I asked.

 

                “Sure thing, Karen.”  Jimmy began, “But I honestly think she understood you there.”

 

                Mike smiled and nodded.  “Apparently Pepsi understands human mouth noises.”  He said.  “How long have you been able to understand us, Pepsi?”  He asked.

 

                Pepsi purred, and twitched her tail, mrowing again.

 

                “It’s a little fuzzy,”  Michael replied, “But I think she’s been able to understand people since the Emergence.”

 

                Dominic laughed.  “Wait – so Karen’s kitty cat got superpowers too?  Oh my god! Is she a Flerkin? Like Carol Danvers’ kitty Goose?”

 

                I looked at Dominic, pretty much completely confused.  “Dom, no offence, but what the hell is a Flerkin, and why do you think my Pepsi is one?”

 

                Ellie laughed and chimed in.  “Goose is an alien that looks like a kitty cat in Captain Marvel, from the MCU last year.  The alien race is called a Flerkin.  They’re kinda cool.”

 

                “Yeah, pretty much that,” Dom replied.  “You had a kitty with powers, kinda – so I drew the connection.”

 

                “What does a Flerkin do?”  I asked.

 

                “Well, they have pocket dimensions inside them, and lots of tentacles.  They’re pretty badass, and they lay eggs instead of giving birth.”  Jimmy replied.  “I don’t think Pepsi is a Flerkin.”

 

                “Of course she isn’t,” I said. “I’ve had her since she was a kitten at 10 weeks old.”

 

                Krissie smiled.  “I think it’s cool Pepsi has a power.  Do you think any other animals got powers?”

 

                Emile thought a moment.  “It might explain that dragon in New York City.  I haven’t heard of any animals being changed – but maybe we just haven’t seen it.  After all, if they look the same, unless they start shooting lasers out of their eyes or something, how would anyone know?”

 

                Cliff came over to Karen, and smiled wryly.  “Sorry I was such a jerk to you earlier, Karen.  I thought you might be like Jessica – pretty and spoiled.  Girls like her made my life really hard before I changed into Cliff.  I guess I was taking some of it out on you.  You might have noticed, I kind of have a chip on my shoulder.”

 

                “Yeah, I did notice.  Don’t worry about it, Cliff – just give me a chance to get to know you before you assume I’m a mean jerk, okay?”

 

                “Deal.” He said, offering me his hand, which I took, and gave a shake.  “Can I pet Pepsi?”

 

                “Sure – just be careful you don’t touch her belly – I call that area her ‘murder button.’”

 

                “Pepsi says she will accept your pettings, Cliff.”  Mike began.  “And she asks her mommy to stop warning people about her murder button.”

 

                “Oh my god?! Are you serious, Pepsi?” I asked.  She mrowed back at me, and pushed her head into Cliff’s waiting hand to get pettings. 

 

                “Did I just get told?”  I asked Mike and Jimmy.  From Jimmy’s amused expression, I assumed the answer was yes.

 

                “Pretty much.” Mike agreed. 

 

                Rain stood and called out.  “Don’t let Jessica get to you, Karen.  She’s obviously pretty stressed about the Emergence, and if she can hear thoughts, it might be messing with her head.  I think she was just lashing out to relieve stress.  She might apologize, later – and if not, she still might not be all bad.”

 

                “Yeah, you’re probably right.”  I replied.  “I’ll try to not hold it against her.  Thanks for listening to my explanation of what happened.”

 

                “You’re welcome,” Malcolm replied.  “I’ve killed before.  It’s not easy – especially when you do it by accident.  It’s different when you mean to do it.  Accidents happen, Karen – and it’s not like you knew how to use your powers or shut them off.  Cut yourself some slack...”

 

                “Thanks, Malcolm.  I really appreciate that.  I’ll think on it.  I don’t want to forget what happened, but I can’t just pretend I didn’t do it either.  My powers could be too dangerous to take lightly.”

 

                “I get you there,” Ben replied.  “Every time I teleport I wonder if I’m going to end up inside an object, or if I’m going to leave part of me behind.  I think we all need to practice what we can do, and learn our limits, so we don’t make mistakes.”

 

                “That’s the plan,”  Replied Dominic.  “We start physical training – including using our powers – tomorrow morning, after breakfast.  Classes on law and how to be an RCMP officer start Monday.”

 

                A number of heads nodded, as the other recruits heard and filed away the information for later.  Kumar spoke first.  “If that’s the case, then please excuse me.  If I’m going to be busy tomorrow, I should call my wife and tell her I’ll be busy.  We had made plans for this weekend.”

 

                “We’ll be probably done as much as we can do by 2pm to 3pm, Kumar, so you might still be able to make it.”  Dominic called out.

 

                “Thank you, Dominic.  I’ll let her know.”  Kumar bowed, and left the room.

 

                “Well that seems like enough excitement for lunch time.”  Dominic said to no one in particular.  “Anyone have any plans this afternoon?”

 

                Jimmy spoke up.  “Emile – if you want me to make you some gear, we should probably go to my lab and make a list of stuff you’ll want.”

 

                “Fair enough,” Emile replied, getting to his feet.  “Lead the way.”

 

                Cliff spoke next.  “I’m going shopping for some new clothes, seeing as how I need a new wardrobe.  If anyone wants a ride to the mall, I got room for three more people in my car.”

 

                “I’d like to come with you!”  Krissie called out, and Ellie nodded as if to say she’s like to come too.

 

                “That’s two.”  Cliff said.  “Anyone else? No?  Okay, ladies, follow me.  Later, folks.  Bye Pepsi!”  He gave Pepsi a final petting, and headed off.

 

                The room quickly emptied, leaving Ben, Rain, Michael and Malcolm behind with Karen.

 

                “So now what?”  Ben asked.

 

                “You want to play some Xbox?”  Rain suggested.  “We could do multiplayer.”

 

                “Sure.”

 

                “Got room for a third?”  Mike asked.

 

                “Sure!”  The three left the room, waving. 

 

“See you at dinner!”  Michael said as they left.

 

“Have fun shooting stuff!”  I called out.  “What’s up with you, Mal?  Got any plans?”

 

“I do, sort of – but they involve you.  I heard you mention you don’t know how to fly yet.  I assume you think you can?”

 

“Yeah, I think so.  I’ve got all the other Kryptonian powers.  Flight seems pretty likely to be on the list.”  I replied.

 

“Would you like some flying lessons, then, Miss Castle?”  He replied, offering me his hand. 

 

“Why yes, I would. Thank you, kind sir!” I answered.  “Learning to fly would be amazing.”  I mean, how in the hell could I say no to Chris Evans, or his virtual double.  Mal seemed so sincere too.  He seemed a lot like Captain America, too.  Old fashioned.  Classy.  The original good guy.  It didn’t hurt that he looked like a movie star.

 

“Good.”  He said.  “Then come with me.”

 

“I will, as soon as I put Pepsi safely back in my room.  I’ll meet you outside.”

 

“Nonsense,” Mal replied.  “I’ll walk with you to your room, then we’ll head outside together.”

 

“Works for me.” I said with a grin.  “C’mon, Pepsi.  Time to go back to our room.”

 

“Mrow. Meowr!”  Pepsi growled.

 

“I think she’s a bit upset at her adventure being cut short.”  Mal laughed.

 

“Maybe, but she’ll be okay.  Can you really understand me, baby?”  I replied.

 

Pepsi stood up in my hands and patted my nose.  It seemed like a yes to me.

 

“Good girl!”

 

Pepsi purred, and settled into a little ball in my hands, and I carried her back to our room.  Mal and I left her sleeping on the bed, and we headed outside.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Outside, Mal led me to a large grassy area that no one was using.  He looked around, to make sure no one was near, and turned to me.  “I don’t know how it will feel for you, but when I fly, it kind of feels like I reach inside to find a ball of energy – like a furnace – and I kind of use my mind to push some of that energy down my legs and out of my feet.”

 

                He looked a little bashful.  “I mean, I… I don’t fire rockets out of my feet, but that’s how it feels to me.  I can kind of steer by using my hands and feet to push energy around like retro rockets.  Jimmy said it’s kind of how Iron Man flies in the movies, but I haven’t seen the movie yet.  You know, the kids these days, you’d think they’re the first ones to see the damn Avengers.  I mean, they’ve been around for sixty plus years!”

 

                I laughed.  “I guess it’s weird being young again?”  I asked.

 

                “Yeah, a little.”  Mal admitted. “I feel like I’m out of time – like I don’t understand how the people who look my age think anymore.  I don’t know their TV shows, or how to use their computers and their cell phones.  I feel a little left out, and a little alone at the same time.  Still, it beats being old.  I’ll never miss having using a bedpan, let me tell you!”

 

                “I think I feel a little like you in that regard too, Mal.  I mean, I was in my late 40’s, nearing my 50’s – and now I’m closer to Krissie’s age than Ellie’s.  Hell – I’m barely legal to drink if you go with the age I look.  It does feel weird.”

 

                “Well, maybe we can help each other adjust and learn how these kids live these days?”  Mal suggested.

 

                “Maybe.”  I said, smiling.  “It would be nice to have someone to talk to that understands.”

 

                “Ditto.”  Mal replied.  “Now, are you ready to try and fly?”

 

                “Hell, yeah! Let’s do this!”  I limbered up and got ready to give it a go.

 

                I stood, and concentrated, trying to see within myself with my mind’s eye. I looked, felt for the furnace, the power source Malcolm said he possessed, but I couldn’t feel it.  Nothing.  I could feel something, but it wasn’t in my core, it was more dispersed – like it surrounded my body… a kind of fuzziness.  I didn’t think that was what he meant.  After a few more moments, I opened my eyes.

 

                “I think I’m having a bit of a problem, Malcolm.  I can’t feel that furnace of energy, like you described.  I did feel something, but it was fuzzy – hard to sense or try to get a hold of.  Do you think it could be something more physical for me?  I mean, Superman used to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, right?  What if his flight developed from that somehow?”

 

                “Hmm…” Mal thought.  “It might be worth a try.  Maybe he flew by jumping, and just not falling back down?  I’m sorry – I’m just guessing.  I understood how to use my powers after having them for only a few minutes.  I’m not sure why you seem to have to learn the hard way.”

 

                “Story of my life.  I don’t get easy mode.”  Karen joked.  “I guess I’ll try jumping then.”  I crouched, gathered my strength, and leapt upwards, as hard as I could propel myself – and I sprang upwards at a ridiculous speed, flying up, up and up!  In about 6 seconds I was higher than every building in the city around me – even higher than the CN tower!  Holy crap! I thought.  As the city receded beneath me, and I continued my upward momentum, I tried to guess how far I had leapt – and the closest guess I could come up with is pretty close to five miles, straight up – close to 8 kilometers!  I screamed with joy and exhilaration as I soared up further and further – until it rapidly started getting colder, and the air thinner.

 

                Suddenly, I wasn’t screaming in exhilaration, but in fear… I could feel my forward momentum halt… and then reverse – and suddenly I was falling back to Earth – from altitude of close to 26,000ft.  I screamed, geez – for about a half minute… and I realized I still had a ways to fall still.  Oh god, this was going to hurt, wasn’t it? I thought.  I tried to remember what a few friends had said about what to do when your chute didn’t open… Relax, let out the tension and loosen up – yeah, a bit easier said than done.  Aim for a tree or a bush…  I tried, but my movements were erratic and ended up sending me into a sideways spin I couldn’t break out of, and I groaned, trying to keep from spewing the lunch I had had a short while ago.  This was it – either I was going to make it, or I was going to die…

 

                And then suddenly, I felt a heavy impact, and felt strong arms around me, cradling me so I wouldn’t fall.  Mal!  I laughed with giddiness.  I was alive! 

 

                “Yeah.  Great jump, Karen – but I can see gravity is a harsh mistress.  How high did you go?”  He slowly lowered us down to the ground – and I could see we were drawing a crowd of students.  “You went so high up, I couldn’t see you anymore.”

 

                “Uh… I think seven or eight kilometers.  Five or so miles for the non-metric.”  I couldn’t help but notice the intimacy of our situation, and blushed.  He smelled nice, I thought, and then pushed that thought out of my head.  “I can’t believe I jumped that high, but I couldn’t turn it into flight.”

 

                “Want to try again,” He asked, as we set down.  “Milady?”  He gently set me down on the ground and grinned. 

 

                “Thank you, Malcolm.”  I said with sincerity.  “I was not looking forward to seeing if I could survive a five mile fall.”

 

                “You’re very welcome, Ma’am.” He replied, smiling.  “Anytime.”

 

                “I think I’m ready for another try – but I want to think a moment, and figure out what I’m doing wrong.”

 

                “Okay.  I’ll give you a minute.”

 

                “Thanks.”  I paused, and tried to think of why I failed.  It was just a jump – there was no power pushing me.  I thought.  …so when I reached the limit of my jump, I fell.  I thought about that fuzzy dispersed energy inside me, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be the key.  Didn’t one version of Superman have some kind of telekinesis?  I thought back to some of the comics I used to read, and wracked my brain for an answer.  Maybe it’s a form of concentration?  I thought.  What if I steer by mental command, or control the fuzziness somehow to lift me? 

 

                I tried reaching out to touch the fuzzy energy with mental hands, but it slipped out of my mental grasp, once, twice, and again.  Maybe I was trying to go at it from the wrong angle?  I crouched down, trying to mentally smooth the fuzziness, and control the aura to push me upward, like squeezing water through a narrow hose.  At first, nothing seemed to happen, but then I heard the sounds of some of the kids gasping – and Mal called out too!

 

                “Something is happening, Karen!  Keep it up!”  He called.

 

                I looked – and the ground was almost rippling around me.  I could feel the energy gathering, building pressure… all I had to do was give it a direction to flow out of.  I gave myself a push – and blasted into the air!  Again, I screamed in exhilaration, and rocketed upwards, even faster than when I jumped!  “Woohoo!”  I screamed!  It wasn’t like before – I could feel myself pushing the energy to propel me.  I took a chance, and concentrated on pushing the energy a different way, and suddenly I turned at a 45° angle and was racing off in another direction!  “Yeah!”

 

                A few moments later, I looked to the side, and saw Malcolm, flying alongside me.  “Good job!” He called out.  “Why don’t you practice steering for a few minutes, and I’ll stick around in case you need a rescue again!”  His words were nearly swept away by the wind, but with my super-hearing I was able to hear him with ease.

 

                I gave him the thumbs-up sign, and began practicing my steering, first banking left and right, then trying more elaborate curves, turns, dives and climbs.  I couldn’t even begin to find words to describe how it felt in those moments – being able to fly.  This is how the gods must feel, looking down on us all, I thought.  The only difference is I’m no god, and don’t pretend to be.  This is awesome! 

 

                Mal stayed nearby me the entire time, and I was really grateful for it – and the two of us zipped from one end of Toronto to the other in maybe a minute and a half.  I had no idea how fast we were going, but I could tell it wasn’t even close to my maximum speed.  We cavorted in the air over Toronto for maybe ten minutes – god was it only that long?  I wondered.  It felt like an hour.

 

                “You feeling good about your steering, Karen?”  Malcolm called out, hovering nearby without falling.  Whenever Mal flew, a silver energy seemed to trail behind him, and shimmer around his hands and feet.  With me, there didn’t seem to be any visual clues at all – I just floated.

 

                “Yeah.”  I replied.  “Why?”

 

                He reached out, and touched my shoulder.  “Tag!  You’re it!”  and then, he rocketed off at a ridiculous speed, leaving me in his contrail dust so to speak.

 

                “Oh, it’s on!”  I cried, and fell into pursuit.

 

                We played tag for god, about twenty minutes, flying all over the city, between skyscrapers and above buildings, and it was freaking amazing.  It was so damn fun too!  I tagged Mal a couple of times, but he got me good once or twice too.  I was faster – but my control was clumsy still, and I couldn’t steer if I went too fast – while Mal seemed to have a lower maximum speed, but perfect control all the way up to his limit.  It was an interesting challenge.

 

                Eventually we had enough, and landed back at the college campus, to hear cheers from some of the students that had gathered – we’d put on a pretty good show for them.  Mal took a bow, and so did I, and we walked back to the dorms together, laughing.  I hadn’t had as much fun as this afternoon in ages.

 

                “I had a good time, Malcolm.”  I said

 

                “Me too, Karen.  It was fun.”

 

                “Yeah.  We should do it again sometime.”

 

                “Agreed.”  He paused a moment.  “I know this is probably out of line, but would you like to go for a drink, sometime, and maybe talk?”  He looked hopeful, and kind, and a little bit dorky.

 

                Oh my god!  Is he asking me out on a date?  Holy shit!  “I think it might be nice, Mal.  I’d like to get to know you better, and I did have fun today.  Thanks for helping me out.”

 

                “It was my pleasure.  Is tonight okay?”

 

                Tonight?  “I… If you’re not expecting me to be dressed to the nines, then, yeah, I could be ready.”

 

                “How about I call us a cab and we head out after dinner, maybe around eight?”

 

                “Um… Sure.” I replied, still not sure how things got to this point.

 

                “Great!  See you then!”  Mal smiled a mile wide, and turned, heading off to wherever he was headed

 

                I turned and went inside my apartment door.  “What the hell have you gotten yourself into, Karen?”  I muttered.  Time would tell.

 

               

 

 

12