Chapter 20 – Pepsi and the Dark Secret
324 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked around the apartment again, but mommy still hadn’t come home since she got dressed up nice. I hope she’s not going to be gone all night, I thought. Who’s going to tuck her in and guard her and make her safe!? I decided to see what the little human in the next room thought, and went to see Krissie. Krissie was nice to mommy, and was nice to me, too, I thought. Maybe she’ll let me protect her too?

 

“Brrup!” I said, but unlike the two handsome catmen on the team, Krissie, like most humans, couldn’t understand my noble and ancient tongue.

 

“Oh hi, Pepsi!” Krissie said. “Did your mom go out tonight? I think she’s seeing her friend Eddie.”

 

“Brrup! Meow!” Pepsi replied, trying to get Krissie to understand.

 

“You hungry?” Krissie asked, and rose to see if Pepsi had been fed. “You’ve got food. Is something wrong?”

 

“Mrowr!” No, there’s nothing wrong, Pepsi thought. I just wanted to cuddle and take care of you. I’m lonely.

 

“Are you looking for pettings?” Krissie asked, leaning over to pet Pepsi.

 

“Mrow!” Pepsi chirped, and tapped Krissie on the cheek with her paw, then gave her a headbutt of protection. She rubbed against her legs and purred, contentedly.

 

“Wow, look who’s so friendly?” Krissie said, petting Pepsi. “You can stay with me tonight, if your mommy doesn’t come home.”

 

She might not come home? I thought. Why? Is it like the night she came home smelling like fire and tar? Pepsi looked up at Krissie, and mewed quietly.

 

“I’m sure she’ll be fine, Pepsi. Your mom’s a big girl. She’ll be alright.”

 

“Brrup!” She’d better be, I said, although Krissie couldn’t understand me. She did seem like an excellent minion friend, though. I decided I would keep her. I stayed cuddling with Krissie for a while, until she got bored and started talking on that thing she held in her hand. Mommy had one too. I didn’t know what they were called before, but recently I learned they were phones. They let you talk to people who weren’t in the room. I don’t know how mommy and others made them, but they seem to really like them.

 

I decided Krissie was boring, and left the room, and went out to the kitchen and tried some of my food. It was good – but if mommy was here I probably would have stuck my nose up at it, trying to get something better. Human food tastes way better than kitty food. Still, mommy wasn’t here and Krissie was busy, so I ate some food, and decided I should go exploring again.

 

I looked at the door to the hallway. It was big, like most human things, but it had a good sized crack under the bottom. I was still a small kitty – I might be able to squeeze through! I tested it with my paw a few times, and meowed in frustration, but I eventually managed to get to the other side. It was a tight squeeze – but eventually I escaped, and was in the hallway. What to do?

 

I know mommy said to leave Jessica to her, but I was still mad at her for making mommy cry. I went looking for Jessica, but this time, I crept quietly, and did my best to not let anyone hear me. That was how I got caught last time! I snuck down the hallway, and passed some doors. One smelled like Ben and Emile, and another like Mal and Michael the tiger man. I smiled. Mommy likes Malcolm, I thought. I wonder if they’ll have kittens one day? She kept saying his name a few nights ago! I kept going, and passed other rooms – but the hallways were empty and the doors were mostly shut. The lounge was ahead, so I was super careful, and hid behind the couch as I went in. The big black man, Cliff, was here watching a video game, and was chatting with Dominic about school or something. Humans were always learning!

 

I listened to their mouth noises for a bit, but all they talked about was three hit combos and classes on law, and I didn’t really understand it. Jessica wasn’t here – so I would keep moving on. I think her room was further down, near Ellie’s room. Ellie smelled funny – like metal and flesh at once, so I knew I’d be able to find her room easily.

 

I crept down the hallway, and hear the click clack of ladies shoes approaching… Gah! I”ll get caught! I thought. I hid, crouching down as far as I could go, and scuttled up against the wall. No one would see me now! I crouched and got ready to listen!

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Look, Ms. Potter, I know this is unpleasant, but you have to realize it will probably never be used.” A man said, following the nice lady that mommy talked to. I think her name was Nadine Ms. Potter – but I didn’t know the man’s name. He was dressed in fancy clothes, like when mommy was going to work, when she was a boy.

 

“It’s unethical, Mitchell! These people trust me, and you’re asking me to betray any sort of trust or confidence that can be built between us. It’s wrong!”

 

“Don’t be so naïve, Nadine.” The man named Mitchell said in a scornful voice. “You know these people are dangerous – and how much of a threat they are. There are people who are concerned that if we can’t control them, if they go rogue, then we’ll have to remove them. It’s basic common sense. Some of these people can level a city block – hell, it’s already happened! What do we do if they start doing it on purpose?”

 

“Send the rest of the team after them, dammit! What else would we do? Building secret files on my people so that your people can fucking kill them if the act out of line is so far out of line, it’s in another time zone. I won’t do it, Mitchell. These people trust me.”

 

“Nadine, please. Don’t be like this.” Mitchell began.

 

“Don’t, Mitchell. Do not fucking ‘don’t be like this’ about what you’re asking. You’re asking me to discover their weaknesses in training, put them down on paper in their file, and give that information to people who will use it to hurt them. Maybe even if they don’t do anything wrong. It’s bullshit. It’s unethical, and I won’t do it.”

 

Mitchell sighed, and pinched his nose. “If you don’t do it, Nadine, I’m going to have to remove you from the MRT. I don’t have any leeway on this. Do it, or you’re out.”

 

“What?!” Nadine replied, incensed. “Did you just give me an ultimatum, Mitchell? I can read when people are lying. I know where the fucking bodies are buried. Are you sure you want to test me? I can go public with this! How would your “people” like that, huh?”

 

Mitchell pulled out his phone, and pressed a button. The phone rang twice, and picked up. A voice answered, and he handed Nadine the phone. “It’s for you, Ms. Potter.”

 

“What the fuck is going on…?” she began, and took the phone. Moments later, she blanched. “Honey, are you alright? No, I… I sent them to make sure you got home safe, honey. They’re from work.” Tears were running down her face, and she looked at Mitchell with a red hot fury. “No it’s okay, you can go with them honey. They’ll take you home. Bye. I love you too.” She ended the call.

 

“How dare you!?” She spat out at Mitchell. “Sending your goons after my kid?”

 

“Shut up, Nadine.” He said, taking back the phone. “It’s time for a reality check. You’re going to get with the program, or you, your kids, and your husband are going to have accidents. It’s really that simple. I was hoping you’d be on board without resorting to this, but… you were always stubborn. So you are going to do as we ask and build these files, and if we feel you are being less than honest about your reports, we’ll take your kids. Next infraction, we’ll mail one of them back to you in pieces. DO YOU GET WHAT I’M SAYING NADINE?” He said rather loudly and firmly. “We own you – and if you don’t play ball, then we’ll remove you and find someone who will follow orders.”

 

Nadine nodded, tears running down her face. “Bastard!”

 

Mitchell nodded. “If we think any of the MRT is on to the plan, we’ll assume you told them. Just so you know. Oh – and also, we’ll be watching you and your family – so I suggest you don’t run. There isn’t anywhere you could hide, anyway.”

 

“You bastard!” Nadine said again.

 

“Maybe.” Agreed Mitchell. “This all could have been avoided if you just followed orders like a good little soldier. You brought this on yourself, Nadine.”

 

“I hope you rot in Hell, Mitchell, and you’d better hope to god I never have you at my mercy!”

 

“Well, seeing as how I don’t believe in invisible sky people, or burning nasty torture places, you can take your curse and shove it. The likelihood of you ever being in a position to harm me is nil. Just do your job, and you get to keep your nice family. Fuck this up, and you’ll learn what it means to cross me. It’s so sad when a parent has to bury their little babies.”

 

Nadine ground her teeth in impotent fury.

 

“That’s what I thought. We’re done here.” Mitchell turned, and took the cell phone from Nadine’s almost nerveless hand, and walked off, leaving Nadine shaking and crying.

 

 

* * *

 

 

He wants to kill mommy! I thought. Mitchell is evil. I should help mommy stop him! Pepsi thought a moment, and realized there was little she could do. I could tell Jimmy or Michael, but if they told anyone, Nadine’s kittens would get hurt! What do I do? It was so upsetting and heartbreaking, I nearly mewed out loud in sympathy for Nadine crying. Nadine needed help. I left my hiding spot, and crept up to her. She was leaning against the wall for support, and didn’t see me.

 

I got right next to her, and tapped her foot. “Mew!” I said. Hey! Down here! “Mew!” I heard it all! Are you okay? Like usual, she didn’t understand me, but I did get her attention.

 

“Pepsi?” She began. “What are you doing out of your room?”

 

“Mrow!” Trying to find Jessica! I said, but again, she didn’t understand me. I tapped her foot again, and moved down the hall a bit, then turned around and came back.

 

“You were going that way?”

 

I tapped her foot again, and meowed. I think she was starting to understand me! Humans can be trained!

 

“You want me to follow you?” She asked.

 

“Mrowr!” My annoyed mrowr of displeasure was obvious, and even a human could understand I meant “no!”

 

“Then what? Did you overhear Mitchell and I?”

 

Yay! She figured it out! I rewarded my mommy’s friend Nadine with a gentle tap on the foot.

 

“Oh wow. And it seems you understood some of what he said.” Nadine knelt down next to Pepsi. “I won’t let him or his friends hurt you all – but I can’t let him hurt my family, either. Can you help me?”

 

I tapped her foot again, and this time also her cheek. I would do anything to help keep kittens safe, and protect mommy too! I tried to say, but it just came out as “mew!” I think she understood though, cause she started crying again. I wasn’t sure if they were good or bad tears either.

 

“I’m going to nail that bastard and his people to the wall, but I need your help, Pepsi.” She said. “I need you to listen, very carefully. If Mitchell finds out you know – or that I told anyone, he’ll kill my family and then me. You have to tell the team, but in a way that they keep it a secret. Tell Mike or Jimmy, or both – and tell them to talk to Jessica. Jessica can keep me informed. Mitchell has no idea of the powers he’s dealing with – and if we work together, I think I can keep you all safe, my family safe, and bring this disgusting black op into the light. Will you help me?”

 

Yes! I gently tapped her cheek, and kissed away some of her tears, like I did for mommy. I’ll help!

 

“Thanks, Pepsi.” Nadine said, skritching my ears.

 

I purred. Skritches were nice. I kissed another tear, and Nadine stood up. “Remember, Pepsi. It has to be secret!”

 

“Meow!” You can count on me, ma’am! I said. I knew what I had to do – so Jessica would have to wait. Nobody hurts kittens on my watch! I turned and headed down the hallway towards Mike and Mal’s room. They would help mommy and Nadine, I’m sure of it!

 

I got to their door, and growled in frustration. The crack under the door was too small to get through! Grrr! I tried reaching under it a few times, to see if I could squeeze through, but it was too tight. I could hear people inside, so I scratched on the door, and started meowing. I know it was bad behavior, but it always got mommy’s attention before. A few minutes later, the door opened up, and Mal was standing there!

 

I mewed piteously, and rushed over to headbutt him. I felt his hands pick me up, and cradle me gently.

 

“Hey kiddo, how did you get here?” He asked. “Mike, do you know what she’s saying?”

 

“Just a sec.” Mike got up from his room, and put down a book.

 

“Hey! What’s Pepsi doing here anyway?” Mike asked.

 

“I don’t know. She usually sticks to Karen like glue.” Mal replied.

 

“Meow, Mrow!” Mommy’s not here. Someone wants to hurt Nadine’s kittens! I have to keep it a secret! Please help! I tried to get what I needed to tell them out – but I was so panicked it came out in little spurts and pieces. I tried to calm down.

 

“She says someone wants to hurt Nadine’s kittens, and I have to keep it secret. Why?” When Mike repeated what I said, I could feel Mal, who was still holding me, bristle in anger.

 

A bad man will hurt her mate and kittens if anyone knows about it! I mrowed. The Bad man wants Nadine to figure out how to hurt you and mommy’s other friends here. In case you’re bad and don’t follow orders. She said no, and he threatened to hurt her kittens.

 

Mike repeated what I said to Mal, and both looked rather grim.

 

“I told you the politicians would turn this to shit.” Mal said.

 

“Any ideas, Mal?” Mike asked.

 

“Yeah, maybe. We need to talk to Jessica, though, and see if she’ll help.” Mal said.

 

“I hope she will.” Mike replied, growling like a tiger. “She’s been a bitch so far.”

 

“I hope so, too.” Mal replied. “Thanks Pepsi.” He said, cuddling me gently. “Is there any more?”

 

I mewed a bit, and cuddled back. Yes, I said, and licked his fingers.

 

“We’d better bring Pepsi with us, then.” Mal replied, once Mike nodded the affirmative. “She might have to be our little spy and go between. Can you do that, Pepsi?”

 

Mew! I sure can! I said. That’s me! Pepsi, International Cat of Mystery! I purred, and rubbed his hand. Mal was nice. I hoped mommy liked him. He smelled good.

 

Mike grinned a little, and nodded at Mal. “I think Karen likes you.”

 

“Why? I think she did too, but what makes you say that?”

 

“I think Pepsi is shipping you.”

 

“What in the hell does that mean? I only look like a young man. I’m not up on internet lingo.” Mal groused.

 

“I think she hopes you two get together.”

 

“Huh. Well kitty, it’s nice to have someone in your corner, but I think that’s a decision your mom is going to have to make.” He turned to Mike. “We need to go talk to Jessica, now, and find out exactly what happened.”

 

“Yep.”

 

And together we went to search for Jessica! I knew my business with Mitchell was far more important, but I still had business with Jessica too. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone? Either way, we were off! I was going to protect mommy! I bet she would be so proud of me! I hoped wherever she was, she was having a good time.

 

I was going to save mommy and her friends, no matter what!

 

 

 

14