Chapter 2
51 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello! Just a reminder for my readers, the personalities, actions, attitude of all the real-life people or organizations that I use in this novel are all fiction it does not reflect their actions in real life. I will also improvise on things that I don't know, however, I assure you guys that I always do my best to fact check properly and make my improvisations as realistic as possibly can. Please leave a comment! Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard." It was a quote by a famous NBA player that I wasn't able to forget ever since I heard. I still remember in my previous life, I was a slacker who only relied on my physical gifts. I never really put on extra hours working on my game, I only trained the minimum amount needed from me.

"Haa... 499!" I exclaimed as I labored myself to get the ball, I went to my starting position to execute another dribble pull-up shot, my knees were shaking as I tried to keep my balance to get that 500th made jump shot.

I started at the top of the key and started dribbling the ball, I changed my pace going from slow to fast then dribbled the ball between my legs going to the right, after 1 dribble, I made a hard stop at the right-wing and stepped back performing a jump shot. I was breathing hard trying to catch my breath from all the fast-paced movements I just did as I focused my body on performing a textbook jump shot.

As I landed on the ground the ball I shot drew a beautiful arc with a fast spin as It went inside the basket.

"500!" I collapsed on the ground right after, exhausted after finishing my workout for the morning.

It was already more than a month since I started training and I was able to improve quickly due to sticking to my routine religiously, and of course because of the system as well.

I stood up after catching my breath and went to the side of the court to drink water and cool my body off, it was past 9 in the morning already when I checked my phone.

I took off my shirt that was drenched in sweat so much it was dripping already.

[10 Baskets Made in 30 Seconds]

[10 VC Gained]

[5 3 Pointers in a Row]

[10 VC Gained]

I brushed off all the notifications I got after that jump shot drill I just finished. Every day I wake up at 4:00 AM and start doing some stretches and light roadwork (jogging) to wake myself up then proceed with footwork and agility drills in the court. After that, I start doing dribbling drills at full speed, and then proceed last with doing different offense drills from basic layups to post-up moves and lastly jump shots. I specifically put more effort into practicing my jump shot since it is my weakest skill ever since back then. Aside from that, I started going to the local gym to lift weights 3 times a week.

I also found out that the system only improves the speed, power, and agility of my moves and It's still up to me to properly execute every move I make, that's why I decided to focus more on form, execution, and consistency while practicing even if I'm tired.

Every day, after I planned my workout, I dedicated almost all my time on improving my skills and body (I lost count how many times I vomited while training). My effort was showing in my body as my muscles became more toned and firm, I can see my abs already becoming visible, my baby fats are almost gone due to all the running I did. My face also became more handsome If I would proudly say, my jaw is more pronounced since there was less fat now. With my black eyes and hair, I looked cooler as I would claim.

[Kevin King]

  • Age: 16 yrs
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 194 lbs
  • Virtual Currency: 7,600
  • Player Rating: 40/40

[Attributes]

  • Layup: 40/40
  • Dunk: 40/40
  • Mid Range: 40/40
  • 3PT: 40/40
  • Ball Handling: 40/40
  • Passing: 40/40
  • Post Offense: 40/40
  • Rebounding: 40/40
  • Steals: 40/40
  • Blocks: 40/40
  • Vertical: 40/40
  • Lateral Quickness: 40/40
  • Speed: 40/40
  • Acceleration: 40/40
  • Strength: 40/40
  • Stamina: 40/40

[Badges] (15)

[Skill Boost]

During the whole duration of my training, I got taller by 2 inches and I gained 5 lbs of muscle. "Good, will I peak at 6'6" just like my previous life?" I wondered.

"I'm ready" I muttered after examining my status window, it's already exactly 7 weeks since I started and every day I gained 100 VC from practicing and 50 VC combined if I do certain actions in the court just like the notification I received a while ago when I made 5 3 pointers in a row.

I also gained an extra 100 VC when I started playing on serious money games during the weekend as well as racking up some achievements while playing. There was an additional feature that was also added when I accumulated 500 VC, Skill Boost. When I selected it for the first time, just like in the game, it gave me the option to boost certain skills.

[Skill Boost]

Jump Shots x0
Layups/Dunks x0
Steals x0
Rebounding x0
Blocks x0
Handling/Passing x0

Apparently it increases the efficiency of the skill that you select, I found out when I used a Jump Shot Boost once during a money game with a strong opponent. My jump shots were more accurate whether I was being defended or wide open, the margin of error when I release the ball also increased.  It costs 500 VC per boost and the duration is also only for 1 game regardless of the time of the game.

As for the badges, I was able to unlock numerous ones when I played serious 5v5 games. Money games in the Philippines are especially cutthroat because of pride, just like any other pickup, we call fouls on our own, some games I played went on for as long as 2 hours because of arguing with foul calls.

[Badges] (15)

  • Acrobat
  • Tear Dropper
  • Putback King
  • Relentless Finisher
  • Mid-Range Deadeye
  • Difficult Shots
  • Tireless Scorer
  • Catch and Shoot
  • Dimer
  • Bruiser
  • One Man Fastbreak
  • Quick Reflexes
  • Hustle Rebounder
  • Defensive Stopper
  • Pick Pocket

All of them are still in the bronze levels but this will give me a big boost to my performance moving forward.

I stood up after collecting my thoughts to head back home. Today is May 4 and tomorrow will be the date for the first open tryout that I plan to participate in.

When I went back home, my mother already went to work. So I decided to eat the leftover breakfast and massaged my tired muscles. In the afternoon I went to the gym to lift some weights, a little lighter for today since I have to perform well tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was already 6 in the evening when my mother came back home from work. "I'm home my dear." she greeted me, seeing me prepare dinner eased her a little bit.

"Welcome home mom. I'm almost done here so just do your thing, I want to talk to you about something later after dinner." I said respectfully.

All I did the whole time from my reincarnation was just training, of course, I still bonded with my mother during her free time but I haven't told her about my plans yet. The only thing she knows is that I was looking up some universities, so I'll tell her later that I plan to apply for a sports scholarship. It will help her greatly if she does not have to pay for my tuition fees, and I get to play basketball as well.

~Later while eating dinner~

"Mom, I plan to attend an open tryout for basketball with a couple of universities starting tomorrow." I broke the silence.

"Oh? Which universities?"

"Well it's..." I then started telling her all my plans. From entering university thru a basketball scholarship to playing basketball seriously and aiming professionally right after.

After 20 minutes of talking, she finally agreed. "As long as you finish college my dear, I will support you 100%," she said expressing her support to me.

"Yes mom, I understand"

At first, we argued a little bit with me finishing college because I plan to enter the draft as soon as I become 19 years old since that is the minimum eligibility requirement for the NBA draft. But after some back and forth, I agreed since a degree will help me after basketball, and to be honest, it's just an extra 2 years so why not? It will also better prepare me for the draft and increase my value as scouts will make sure to notice me. I didn't protest anymore as I know he was just thinking about me.

After dinner, I cleaned up and went straight to bed to rest for tomorrow.

"I can't wait, this is it... everything that I did, the effort, sweat, tears. Everything will be decided tomorrow." I muttered

~~~~~~~~~~

May 5, 2009 Tuesday

"You are now entering the home of the UAAP Season 71 Men's Basketball Champions Ateneo Blue Eagles!" A big blue banner was plastered at the very front entrance of the gym.

Ateneo De Manila University Blue Eagles or ADMU for short was the current champions of the UAAP, I happen to come by a post by their social media page that they were hosting open tryouts for a day. Their core players haven't graduated yet so they must be filling up the roster, the reason I decided to attend was not that they are current champions but because the school itself has a state of the art basketball program, mostly due to it being a school for the elites. If I want to make it to the NBA I will also need strong backers that's why I attended.

"This is it..." I muttered as I entered the gym, there were a lot of players attending as well.

When I entered, it was spacious as there were 3 basketball courts inside as well as other facilities on the side, it was state of the art.

We were asked to fill up a form for personal and contact information, as well as information about our playing positions, and then given a number that we have to pin on our jerseys, mine was #67.

There were less than a hundred participants as we littered the stands, as I observed other players while gearing up, I noticed that the tallest player is around 6'6" so I was on the taller side. I didn't recognize any players in the stands while waiting so the participants must be all hopefuls or came from minor schools.

"Heh what would they think when they find out that I listed my position as a point guard." I snickered a little bit. Filipino player's average height is on the low side so players who are 6'4" and taller usually expected to play forward or center positions, I myself Idolized tall players who play the point guard position like Lebron James, Penny Hardaway, or Magic Johnson so I modeled my game after them.

While thinking to myself the coaches already started calling us in the court to start the tryouts. We were called to assemble in the middle court which was Court B.

"Alright! We will now start the tryouts! I shouldn't have to remind everyone that we will only recruit the very best on this open tryout so do your best!"

The coach was not a fan of flowery words and went right to business.

As players we're advised to warm up before the start of the tryouts, we went straight away to drills that measured our athleticism.

Full court sprints, maximum vertical jump, lane agility drill, and bench press.

After I was done with the drills, I sat down in the waiting area where I had to wait for my turn with the shooting drills. "Alright, so far so good, my efforts are starting to show now." I thought to myself

~~~~~

After all the players were done with the drills, two of the coaches that were tallying the results of each player were having a conversation.

"Hey look at this, #67 topped all the athletic drills except the bench press which he ranked second." said the first coach,

"Well the overall talent for this batch of players are extremely low so that's expected, all of the skilled players already committed to other universities." said the assistant coach

"Either way #67's results are still top-notched so we gotta keep an eye on this guy."

~~~~~

After a couple of minutes of waiting, my number was called for my turn with the shooting drills.

"Alright #67, spot-up 3 pointers, you have 20 attempts in total, 10 from each wing." the coach said.

"Hey look, that guy's tall, do you think he can make more than 10? A player waiting for his turn asked his friend, they were pertaining to me.

"I'd bet he won't be able to do more than 10." said his friend while looking at me.

I didn't bother to let them know I heard them as I focused myself, I shot the ball hundreds of times every day so I'm confident I will get a great result.

*prrrt! I heard the whistle signaling me to start.

I ran to the left-wing and received the pass as I squared my feet and made a perfectly executed jump shot beyond the 3 point line.

[Catch and Shoot Badge Activated]

My form was flawless as I released the ball in an arc. As I landed, I immediately ran to the right-wing to perform another catch and shoot 3 pointer.

*swish! The sound of the net made it known that I made a perfect shot. I repeated the same action in the right-wing as it gave me the same result, I was in the zone. "Just like practicing" was what I was thinking, my body moved on its own as it executed the perfect form I practiced every single day.

"Hey look, that guy already made 10 3 pointers in a row," a player in the stands said

"15! He's doesn't know how to miss bruh!" another player said

"17/17! 3 more #67!" said the coach while continuously passing me the ball

At my 19th shot, I missed as my form shook a little bit as I was starting to catch my breath because of the continuous full speed drill.

"Finish strong!" the coach said seemingly trying to motivate me as I made the last shot.

"Alright #67 go to the other side of the court for the next drill!" the coach said, impressed with my performance.

I tried to catch my breath as I went to the other side to continue.

Spot-up 3 pointer: 19/20

Shooting off the dribble: 18/20

Timed 15' Jump Shots on the Move: 9/10

I was never a shooter in my previous life so I was impressed with my own results.

"#67 good job! Please go back to the waiting area." the coach said to me.

I went back to the waiting area to rest as there's still one more thing left to do, the 5v5 scrimmage.

"Hey man, that was awesome! You were sinking baskets effortlessly!" a player said to me as I sat down on the bench and drank some water.

I examined the person and expressed a simple "thanks" with a blank look to at least show my gratitude. I didn't come here to make friends so I focused on resting and focused on the upcoming scrimmage.

The player scratched his head seemingly embarrassed with my lack of emotion as he went back and didn't bother me again.

After a few minutes of waiting, we were asked again to huddle in the middle of Court B, it was the start of the scrimmage.

"Alright people! We will begin with scrimmages, you will be grouped based on your listed playing positions. You will only have one chance for a scrimmage. 10 minutes per scrimmage people, give it everything you got!" the coach reminded and went ahead to divide us in 5.

"#4, #78, #34, #21 and #67! You're team A!" My team was decided right away so I looked for my teammates and was able to find them grouping up already, it looks like 3 of them are friends.

"Team A?" a player wearing #4 asked me as he saw I was walking towards them.

"Yes I'm #67" I replied

"Alright let's start introducing ourselves first, my name is Paul #4 I play shooting guard," Paul said seemingly taking the lead.

"I'm Chris #78, center," the next person said, he was around my height, maybe an inch taller, he was one of the trio.

"Aaron, #21, power forward," said one of the trio who looked like friends, his height is around 6'3"

"The name's James, #34, I play small forward," the last trio member said he was around 6'4"

I replied last, "Kevin, #67, point guard" When I said point guard, I immediately received bewildered looks.

"Whaaat!? I thought you were the center!? said Paul, "You're so tall, wow! I'm only 6'0" but you? As a guard? You're not joking right?" he added

"Of course not, I have the skills to back it up don't worry, I'll make each one of you look good once we play," I said assuring them I'm for real.

"Well alright, that's an advantage anyway so let's give it our best!" Paul said cheerily.

"Alright team A against team F, Court C!" a coach shouted, it seems like it's our turn right away

We went to court C right away with the opposing team, it seems that the tallest player (6'6") will be one of our opponents, his other 4 teammates also looked formidable.

"Heh, good, strong opponents," I smirked happily because I will play with the strong players.

We huddled up in the middle as the referee announced "Alright players, let's aim for a clean game! Jump ball!"

Our respective centers stood in the center circle. After seeing everybody is ready, the referee tossed up the ball starting the game.

~~~~~~~~~~

If you're confused about some of the basketball terms that I use, I left a link below as a reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_basketball_terms

2