Chapter 181: A Perfect Plan
280 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, no manner of specifically targeting the people who harmed him could be thought up and utilized.

The only path that could be taken was reducing the spawn rate of weapons of power to zero. Before weapons of power would appear in random locations around the realm in specified intervals. Finding them mainly depended on luck.

Preventing the new weapons of power from coming into existence wouldn’t help much… After all, that would only prevented more extraordinary people from coming into existence. The problem was that weapons of power could be reused after death.

Frowning as I realized the problem, another solution came into mind.

Checking the administrative commands individually, I eventually stumbled upon the command that I was looking for.

A command that controlled the duration of weapon of powers existence. Quickly rearranging the situation, the rules of the illusionary realm changed.

Weapons of power disappear after their owner’s death instead of remaining infinitely.

This change might not seem important, but… it would cause a sharp reduction in the amount of extraordinary people over time.

Additionally, it would solve the social issues of the civilization. From the information gathered in the illusionary realm, people that gained extraordinary power initially set up a monopoly along with rules and regulations to restrict others. They did this with the intention of controlling those who can gain extraordinary power.

Simply put, they were setting up their own faction and directly excluding the possibility of anyone outside their faction from gaining power. Killing those who gained extraordinary power without permission and giving their weapon of power to their children or those within their own faction.

Without the possibility of collecting other’s weapon of power after death, the greed behind persecuting them disappears. People with weapons of power become important resources to recruit, instead of hindrances to strengthening your own faction.

A subtle manner of influencing the overall situation and a measure to equalize the situation, however with this change a strange situation would occur.

If the monsters on the surface managed to defeat everyone carrying weapons of power, humans in this illusionary realm would likely go extinct.

That was fine.

That would only prove the societal issues were too great for them to overcome. It would also mean the current generation’s abilities are insufficient for continued survival of the human species.

I could accept that outcome.

…but there was also the possibility that humans would defeat the monsters on the surface.

In that case, though… within a single generation, all extraordinary humans would disappear and monsters would only exist nominally within the dungeons.

Realizing that possibility, I fell into thought.

Despite wanting revenge on both parties, their children and next generations had little to do with my current hatred. Directly destroying the hope of future generations seemed too cruel.

People lived on hope.

Earth had no possibilities for extraordinary power. There was simply no chance for extraordinary beings to exist and I’d hated that fact.

How many times had he cursed the universe for not providing the slightest hope?

An idea slowly formed in his mind.

The dungeon still remained without any reward for completion… but that didn’t necessarily have to be the case.

There were parameters to control the spawn locations of weapons of power. By changing the parameters around slightly and making weapons of powers spawn within them every 5-6 years, the new dungeon could become the hope for extraordinary power.

By clearing the dungeon and reaching the bottom, you could gain weapons of power. It would also act as a honey trap. Encouraging those with weapons of power to enter and potentially die inside.

This simultaneously achieves revenge on the current generation as they might die in the dungeon whilst keeping hope for future generations and solving the greed behind the societal problems.

A relatively perfect balance.

This led to another headache.

A single dungeon is not enough to become hope for extraordinary power… it would only be monopolized and controlled by a single faction.

The illusionary realm needed tutorial dungeons and other progressively more difficult dungeons to providing training facilities.

Over time, stronger dungeons would contain more weapons of power as they would be cleared less frequently. The easy dungeons would keep a baseline number of extraordinary people.

The difficulty of the dungeon could be altered by changing the spawn rate of monsters and number of floors.

All this is theoretically perfect… It 'theoretically' solves all my problem.

…but realistically the commands to spawn dungeons were not simple. Creating them was basically limited to my own location and there were too many different commands that required exact coordinates making unreasonable to be done from a distance.

Even if it could, I would still have to manually create every dungeon within this illusionary realm and that was prone to mistakes. It could become a big deal if I accidentally forget to alter the spawn rate of monsters.

There was no command to simply spawn a dungeon… I realized that this goal was more complicated and time consuming than I initially planned.

I didn’t plan to give up.

Mainly because I didn’t have anything better to do with my time in the illusionary realm. Without this plan, I’d be wander around randomly without a goal.

This gave me an end goal.

Everyone needs goals to work toward.

If there was a singular problem with this plan, it was that it was extremely unfair to the monster race. They wouldn’t have any hope of leaving the dungeon after being born and would only exist to serve as a challenge to humans.

Those words caused to me to realize the existence of a contradiction.

There was nothing stopping a particularly intelligent monster from simply tossing the weapon of power to humans, saving them the trouble of launching an expedition into the dungeon. Specific monsters might make alliances with humans and reduce the challenge of dungeons.

I needed to create a motivation for monsters to keep the weapons of power.

Solving both problems at once, I decided to change the parameters that completely prevent monsters from leaving the dungeon.

The barrier that prevented monsters from leaving would disappear if the number of unclaimed weapons of power within the dungeon exceeded ten.

Humans would be motivated to invade dungeons and prevent the outbreak of monsters. Meanwhile, any intelligent monsters born within dungeons would have a motivation to stop them.

Based on current parameters, all monsters within a dungeon would have the opportunity to leave the dungeon 55-66 years after defending the dungeon.

…and none of this should have much influence on my earlier promise. The war between humans and monsters should end within that timeframe.

Even if the war doesn’t end with that timeframe, the number of monsters emerging from the dungeons should be negligible on the scale of an entire war. Only a replenishment of troops. Compared to the birth rate of humans, it can be considered a balancing action for monsters to make up for their lack of technology and difficulties in natural birth.

The old monsters and people that repeatedly caused my death in the illusionary realm should mostly be dead by that point. Those who can survive that long will be difficult to extremely kill… but might require personal attention.

Anyway, the general trend cannot be changed.

The changing situation will force both sides to fight fiercely.

Monsters will likely have the advantage in the earlier portion of the war and whether they can continue to survive on the surface will depend on whether they can grasp that opportunity.

This advantage stems from the fact that it is far easier to notice that weapons of power stopped dropping after death. Monster will learn that new monsters stopped appearing in the wild, but humans are unlikely to notice it for several decades.

Although both sides have been forced into a desperate situation, extraordinary humans will not understand that the number of monsters is also limited. That will indirectly reduce moral and give monsters an advantage.

If they fail to take advantage of that time, humans will likely have an advantage in the later stages of the war due to improving technology and high birthrate.

The winner of the war deserves some rewards, which can be forgiving them for their earlier actions.

In that manner, regardless of who wins the war, my earlier promises can be considered fulfilled. The losing side will go extinct in the war or be forced into hiding. It could be said that I will get vengeance on both responsible parties for their actions, whilst leaving a bit of hope for their future generations.

It's a perfect plan.

I thought to myself with a nod.

...Whilst Tobias was rather carefree and appreciate of his actions that were changing the very nature of this universe, the inhabitants within the illusionary realm were extremely alarmed.

The situation of humanity within this illusionary realm was precarious to begin with. Almost every single weapon of power is catalogued, monitored, and retained after the death of the owner. The loss of a single weapon of power is considered a major blow to their defenses.

This is caused by the fact that even baby monsters are physical stronger than most human adults. Under normal circumstances, to safely defeat a single monster of the same level it usually takes five trained people working together with weapons of power.

This training isn’t considered simple or easy. Except for those with extremely profound background, only elites of the elites are even considered to be given weapons of power. There is a long list of people waiting to receive them at any time. Humanity had already pushed into desperate straits within this illusionary realm.

Since the appearance of monsters and weapons of power in the world, humanity has been beaten back in almost every way!

Most monsters have the ability to fight immediately upon birth and their power only increases with age.

…and monsters constantly, infinitely respawn.

They’ve never had a chance of winning an offensive battle against an enemy that will continue to reappear regardless of the situation. How could you go on the offensive when new monsters will take their place?

Humanity has always been fighting a defensive battle, and they have been losing territory repeatedly over time. They have needed and utilized every single weapon of power in their battle for survival.

…And within a recent defensive battle, upon the death of their respective owners, five weapons of power in completely separate locations had gone missing!

This is an extremely major even that has caused a complete uproar.

Various armed forced had been forced to go into the battle and try to find the weapons. How could the weapons disappear into thin air? Obviously, someone had secretly stolen or utilized an ability to sneak them away.

This is complete provocation of the government and army.

People occasionally hid weapons of power they found on their own in the wildernesses and utilize them to gain extraordinary power. While these people are considered criminals for not contributing them to the country, on paper these people can be reformed and forced into the army to join the military for redemption.

Bringing those criminal into the military rarely happens in practice. This is because if the police or army tactfully kill these criminals and contribute the unclaimed weapon themselves as a completely separate matter, they can be provided with enough merit to increase their living conditions and potentially be granted another weapon of power.

While people disdain those who take the unclaimed weapon  for themselves and refuse to join the army to contribute it to the battle for humanities survival, people also understand their selfishness. It is a chance to be extraordinary and they risked their lives in the wilderness to obtain it without outside help.

Most tactfully choose to ignore them as long as they hide the weapons carefully.

However, stealing the weapon of power from people fighting on the front line is a completely different matter. This is completely provoking the entire military and everyone who died to obtain those weapons!

There is a complete uproar with society!

The entire military and population had been alarm by the boldness of these criminal to steal five different weapons of power at the same time.

Countless people are searching the city and wilderness for these criminals at this very moment, and other plans are made to crack down on other criminals at the same time to discourage such behavior in the future.

Whilst they barely have people to spare, they cannot accept people stealing weapons of power from the front lines.

How could they possibility guess that this situation has been caused by a very change in the fabric of their reality? Instead, they would subconsciously classify it within their own understanding.

Even as time goes onward, they’ll only classify it in term they understand. Stubbornly believing that someone obtained an ability to summon unclaimed weapons of power upon the death of their owner and continue searching for that criminal.

Regardless of the situation, they’re no way anyone would know the actual situation had been caused by Tobias who casually changed the fabric of reality within this illusionary realm on a whim.

14