Chapter 188: Rebellion (2)
228 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whilst Kara sent a portion of her guards to investigate the bodies of the assailants and learn more information, other criminal guilds had begun to take action. Kara certainly hadn’t realized the seriousness of the situation yet and neither had most guilds.

In addition to sending assassin after various guild leaders and causing general havoc on the streets, they had begun amassing weapons and taking key locations of the city.

The sudden organized rebellion had completely caught the regular guilds off-guard.

Any weapon stores, easily defensible locations, and teleportation beacons were all captured without a large fight.

Most people defending those locations were simply going about their normal business and found themselves in a dangerous situation, they didn’t have the will to fight to the death and ran away without even thinking about it.

In the mind of those defending the location, it didn’t matter if they temporarily took the location. They needed to survive to report the information and prepare for a counter-attack.

The various guilds would organize a counter-attack and reclaim the location with them, staying and dying to defend their current locations for no reason an exercise in stupidity. Under normal circumstances, if a single location was captured, it is true that it would be easy to reclaim.

The problem that occurred was that every place had this type of thought, and very few stayed to fight the encroaching criminal guilds.

A sudden surprise attack allowed criminal guilds had gained many strategic locations at little to no cost.

This was partly because there was a massive difference in will between the criminal guilds and those guarding the locations. The criminals were prepared to die as most knew they had no retreat. Those guarding the locations knew they had a strong backing and their immediate thought was to ask for backup.

After taking various key strategic locations, many criminal guilds swiftly begun recruitment efforts, or more accurately, kidnapping people on the street and incorporating into their guilds at knife-point.

The result of this blood-soaked recruitment was that their numbers grew rapidly.

Of course, those who were 'recruited' in this matter wouldn’t have any loyalty to these criminal guilds.

-But their loyalty didn’t matter, they weren’t considered true members.

The criminal guilds would happily sacrifice ten people to directly kill an enemy. Although the success come as a result of a bloody price… but the criminal guilds didn’t care about the cannon fodder’s casualties.

These new 'recruits' would be fighting in the most dangerous places and could be used to delay the retreat of other members when the opposite side had paid a bloody price to reclaim the location. They would be guarded by powerful supervisors that would kill any attempting to escape and were completely regarded as cannon fodder.

In the opinion of these criminal guilds, it would be best if the cannon fodder and the enemy died together.

Forcefully recruiting people in this matter was bound to build animosity, and they didn’t want to leave hidden dangers. Even if these people survived the fighting, they would try to dispose of the cannon fodder afterward to ensure there were no hidden dangers.

Any criminal guild that implemented such a recruitment method understood they were being cruel and it would result in people disliking them. As a result, they were crueler and committed other crimes whilst implementing their methods to build a reputation of fear.

This was war.

The methods needed to win a war are never pretty… Especially when you are at a disadvantage.

It didn’t matter though, history is always told by the victory.

After everything was said and done and the cannon fodder is buried six-feet underground, they would be celebrated as glorious martyrs or pitied for their tragic fate. Meanwhile, those who won would live to enjoy the spoils.

Most people in the criminal guilds were simply intent on surviving. Whilst they might disagree with these cruel methods, it was certainly better if cannon fodder died than themselves. So people simply followed orders and apologized to those they captured silently.

Whilst these were cruel methods, they were certainly effective.

The slaughter rain would be uncaring about the reasoning behind the deaths. These criminal guilds had taken advantage of the residential zone's special characteristics to implement a perfect strategy to gain an advantage. Even if the slaughter rain failed to activate because the enemy was careful, the existence of cannon fodder would still limit their options and damage to their actual members.

In a short time, the normal citizens of the residential zone that remained noticed the abnormality. Not every attempt to forcefully recruit members went successfully and a few miscellaneous fish that were strong escaped the net began to spread the warning to others.

Soon, a thick tense atmosphere hung over entire residential zone.

People were confused with what was going on, but they understood that something was happening and that it wasn’t safe to be outside. Kidnapping people in broad daylight along with the sudden foreign occupation of many buildings was clearly a bad sign.

Ordinary citizens of the residential zone began hiding inside their homes and left the problem to others. As a result, the recruitment efforts slowed down and eventually stagnated entirely.

At the same time, many regular guilds had been paralyzed.

The sudden assassination on guild leaders only had success rate of only approximately 30%, but this was still a frightening statistic and ended with many guilds being paralyzed.

Most guilds had been created for less than a year and hadn’t been in existence for long enough to create a proper chain of command. The sudden death of their guild leaders left the guilds completely unable to act.

Although those guilds might eventually regroup and attempt to take revenge on the culprits, who knows how long that would take?

The residential zone was in chaos, many key targets had been captured or destroyed. Additionally, the rebellion was more prepared than the regular guilds and was solidifying their defensive position.

Whilst the regular guilds had the advantage in terms of individual strength and manpower, they lacked information and coordination. The regular guilds swiftly began organizing forces to retaliate on the forces against them, however… most guilds failed to realize the scale of the problem.

There was a distinct lack of communication between regular guilds, most guilds only knew that their own forces had been attacked and wouldn’t spread this information due to the fear of being perceived as in a weaken state.

Those with enough information to determine that something was wrong hadn’t the time to inform others before these individual guild began to retaliate.

Across the city various battle began to rage.

The situation was extremely dangerous and many people died.

Most guilds hadn’t realized that the people they were fighting were cannon fodder sent to die and only a few were true members of the criminal guild. Even if the few that discover the problem had no way to differentiate those forcefully recruited into the criminal guilds and those true members.

Everyone had been told to wear masks and hide their identity, whether it was the cannon fodder or the true members, they all wore the same mask and clothes. This was to hide their identities and make it more difficult for others to distinguish the identity of true rebels. It was also designed to make it impossible for the cannon fodder to tell whether a person at their side was a friend or criminal in disguise.

That made it difficult for the cannon fodder to trust each other and organize an escape.

The elites that had been sent to deal with the captured facilities quickly realized they had couldn’t kill so many people.

If they were unified, the regular guilds would have the advantage of manpower… but the criminal guilds had captured sufficient cannon fodder and organized under a single leader.

This distinction made it difficult for their elites of the guild to act and caused causalities.

The cannon fodder might not have much strength, but the elites were forced to be restrained and avoid lethal moves due to their quantity. Most of the cannon fodder only wanted to escape, but had knifes at their back and front.

There were true criminals amidst the crowd of cannon fodder that would use powerful moves to suddenly attack the regular guild’s elites or escaping cannon fodder. Escaping or attempting to explain the situation to the enemy might cause them to be suddenly shot in the back by their ‘comrades’.

The elites that were attacking them had little idea that the majority of the masked members of the criminal guilds were cannon fodder that had been captured. They assumed these members were the people were the same people that took their facilities and fought with the intent to kill.

Whilst the elites might not be able kill them all personally, they could incapacitate them and leave that job to weak guild members. Only a very limited number of cannon fodder soldiers managed to run away or escape under those circumstances.

This led to an unexpected advantage of having cannon fodder… after the battle and the criminals retreated after causing enough damage, nobody could tell whether someone was an actual rebel that organized everything or someone forcefully recruited.

In the chaos of battle, it was impossible to keep track of those who had been giving orders beforehand.

Any actual rebels that were captured could plead innocence and hide amidst the crowd of cannon fodder.

The entire situation was a headache for those in the guilds.

Whilst many facilities were recaptured, they had paid a heavy price and only managed to kill cannon fodder in the process. The rebellion had completely taken to utilizing gorilla warfare tactics and it was extremely effective.

Additional, the actual rebels wouldn’t inform the cannon fodder of anything important.

Most guilds still lacked any real information of what was going on despite the fierce battle and only knew that they’d been suddenly attacked.

Whilst some guilds had people that specialized in acquiring information through divination and other strange abilities, they were in minority. Unless someone came forward on the behalf of the regular guilds to build their own alliance and consolidate the information they would be at a complete disadvantage.

7