Chapter 37: Duel
1.7k 11 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wonderful. God-hunter’s abandoned me to my fate.

Why are we fighting anyway?

Does Rin want to beat me up for my mistakes?

No… she wouldn’t end the fight on first blood in that case.

Maybe, she just wants to compete with me?

My train of thought was cut off by Rin announcement, “Fight me.”

Despite indicating for the battle to start, Rin only stood there, sword in hand, without any intent to go on the offensive.

She wants me to go on offensive?

Glancing about the arena for any environmental hazards to take advantage of.

Unfortunately, there didn’t seem to be any. The stage was an entirely flat arena with a sandy floor.

The only thing to take advantage of would be the sand on the ground. Yet, it’s doubtful Rin wouldn’t notice an attempt to grab sand.

Test swinging the unfamiliar sword Rin provided.

This might be a problem.

It feels awkward to use. I won’t be able to use this proficiently in a fight.

There didn’t seem to be another weapon around to fight with. There are only swords on the rack to the side. God-hunter’s unusable, she might cause spiritual damage to Rin.

Sorry, Rin. I’ll have to fight dirty to stand a chance.

Taking off my jacket and laying it on the floor, I stared toward Rin. She had taken up a defensive posture in preparation for my assault.

POV Swap – Rin

Do I want to get engaged with Tobias?

Should I let him win?

Watching Tobias prepare to seriously fight, Rin decided.

Let’s see what you have planned Tobias.

POV Swap – Tobias

I don’t have a physical advantages, nor any advantage in battle experience against Rin.

No, my advantage in this fight is my understanding of Rin.

The first time she encounters something, she overthinks it.

With that jacket on the floor, she’ll presume it has some purpose and actively avoid it.

Giving me a territorial advantage and a place to retreat to after a clash.

Since there are no environmental factors to take advantage of, I'll create my own.

Retreating further into away, I propping up my <Umbrella of Lies> for the same reason. Then stared at it suddenly.

Why can it be propped up on the floor? Whenever I carry it everything passes through it.

Note to self: Experiment later.

Refocusing on the fight, Rin was simply watching me set up.

She probably overthinking every move I’ve made.

Good. By focusing on these props, she’ll focus less on me.

Locking eye contact with Rin.

Let’s fight.

Rin seemed to receive my resolve and we began moving toward each other.

Once within range, she immediately slashed toward my head.

Dodging sideways toward the jacket direction. Seems Rin isn’t planning on going easy on me.

Rin immediately turned in my direction preparing to slash again, but paused slightly when she spotted the jacket behind me.

Providing the opportunity to attack.

Attempting to jab her arm, I stabbed the sword forward.

She easily avoided my jab and proceeded to knock the overextended sword out of my hand.

Without a weapon, I back up until I was standing beside my jacket.

She avoided following me. As expected, she’s overcautious of anything different.

Unfortunately, I’m now disarmed.

Rin’s took the opportunity to pick up the other sword I dropped and begun duel-wielding. Then moved to block the sword rack to prevent me from acquiring another sword.

Grabbing some sand on the floor.

I suppose now’s the time for that warding spell I used earlier.

As glowing blue lines appeared on my skin, Rin became more alarmed of them than the jacket and began rushing toward me.

Too late, though.

Throwing the sand forward toward Rin and releasing the blue lines, creating a puff of blue wind.

The sand caught in the blue wind blew directly into Rin’s face, blinding her.

Unfortunately, Rin apparently managed to avoid being knocked over.

Rushing past her, I grabbed another sword off the rack and retreated back toward the <Umbrella of Lies>.’

Rin had already escaped the blue wind and, at this point, probably determined that the jacket was nothing but a distraction.

She should still be cautious of the umbrella, though.

I still have my unnoticed active and a single teleportation.

Should I attempt to kick up sand and sneak attack her?

No… she mentioned earlier consistently and accurately shooting Edward in a dense fog.

Clouding up the entire area would only put me at a further disadvantage.

Rin has enhanced hearing, right?

Maybe I could make a large amount of noise?

Rapidly thinking it through, I quickly reach a conclusion.

Dropping my sword, I hid behind the propped up umbrella in an attempt to obscure Rin’s vision.

Taking my musket off my back.

I hadn’t planned on using it due to the musket being too deadly and it would waste too much mana.

But, if I modify the software slightly…

It can make an extremely loud noise for a minimal mana cost.

I don’t have long, though. Rin definitely won’t stay still for that long.

Beginning to reprogram the musket to fire an empty bullet that emits an extremely loud explosive noise.

Clang… Glancing toward the source of the noise on my right.

A round artifact lay beside me.

Grabbing umbrella of lies, I rolled away from it.

Barely escaping an electric charge that shot out of the artifact.

Working faster to reprogram the musket. To speed up, I was forced to delete the other programs on the software.

When I finished, I glancing toward Rin. I'd dropped the umbrella on the floor, again, at this point.

Rin had noticed my shenanigans and set up a defensive artifact to project a barrier around herself.

I really need to acquire a defensive artifact myself.

Depending on the barrier, she might not be able to attack through it.

She doesn’t seem to be lowering the barrier, though. Providing time to double check my code.

The software seems to be correct.

I only need to wait for her barrier to lower, fire the gun to disorient her and take advantage to win.

Glancing at my hands, I realized something I’d forgotten. I left my sword back by that… artifact.

The round artifact that still released electric currents into the surrounds every few seconds… and Rin is standing between me and the sword rack again.

She must’ve planned that.

I need to draw blood to win, which means I need a sharp object.

Damn, how annoying.

Do I have another weapon?

Nothing besides God-hunter, which is too dangerous to use on Rin.

Maybe I can acquire the sword through the electric bursts?

Potentially.

Rin probably won’t lower the barrier… but, that barrier is draining the defensive artifact’s mana every second it’s activated.

That electric artifact is in the same situation.

Meanwhile, I’m not using any mana.

Readying my musket toward Rin.

I only need to wait.

Once it lowers, I’ll be able to implement my plan. This is still an advantageous situation.

Except I’d neglected to consider one key detail. Rin wouldn’t simply wait there quietly.

Rin realized I had no intention of attacking and began moving toward me.

I’ll only have one opportunity to surprise Rin with the musket’s noise. After that Rin will definitely prepare for it.

Meaning I can only fire when I have a sword and her barrier is down.

Rin apparently sensed my weakening resolve and began charging forward toward me.

Lowering her barrier to strike toward me, I avoided Rin’s attack and dashed toward the electric artifact and my fallen sword.

BANG! Pulling the trigger of the musket an extremely loud sound reverberated throughout the area.

Dropping the musket, I grabbed the sword on the floor beside me despite getting shocked in the process.

Teleporting toward Rin and slashing the sword toward her.

She quickly recovered, barely dodging the blow and knocked me to the ground.

Holding her right sword to my throat.

That was my final shot.

I can’t recover from this position.

The games over.

Speaking out, I ended this duel. “I surrendered.”

“No, you’ve won.” Rin said, shaking her head.

I noticed a line of blood drip blood down from her arm.

Apparently, my last blow hadn’t missed. It barely grazed her.

Meaning… I’d won?

Technically, at least.

Considering I’m on the floor with a sword to my throat, I’m not sure this can actually be called a victory.

Rin removed the sword from my throat, looked somewhat conflicted and muttered. “Girlfriend... Okay.”

Wait, what?

I’m so confused. Interrupting her, “Wait! What do you mean ‘okay’?”

Rin plainly stated, “You won. Your claim is correct. I’m your girlfriend.”

Wait, by girlfriend she means... did I just get engaged?

…Why do suddenly feel like I’ve been scammed?

Actually, does this mean stabbing Kara forgiven?

…Probably?

Wait, there’s a much bigger problem here.

Rin’s like 15… I can’t get married to her.

Staring at Rin, who promptly noticed my gaze and looked away seeming embarrassed.

Why do I get the feeling that telling Rin ‘I don’t want to get married’ would end horribly…

Fine.

I’ll just have to insist on waiting until Rin gets older to actually get married.

… Damn, I was basically scammed into this.

Stopping myself from staring at embarrassed Rin, I focused my gaze on the door.

Since I can’t project my anger onto Rin, the secondary cause will have to do.

“If you would excuse me, I have something to do.” If my anger projected through my voice, Rin didn't visibly react to it.

Stanley. This is entirely your fault.

Actually, it’s almost entirely your fault. You flirting with Rin probably caused most of this to happen, including Stanley misunderstanding your relationship.

Shush, God-hunter. I don’t flirt with Rin.

You… call her cute, constantly. Aloud.

…You can go take your logical theories and throw them into a deep dark well. I don’t want to hear them.

Finishing arguing with God-hunter, I picked up my musket, jacket, and my umbrella of lies that I’d left around the arena and begun heading toward the main lobby.

POV Swap – Rin

Watching Tobias leave the room, Rin was left alone with her thoughts.

I lost.

I actually lost.

Touching the line of blood dripping from her arm.

It hurts… yet, I’m happy.

Tobias won.

We’re engaged. I won’t have to split up with Tobias.

I thought losing would feel horrible… but it doesn’t.

Kara! I should tell Kara.

She’ll be ecstatic.

Rin rushed out of the room.

POV Swap – Tobias

[Main lobby]

He’s not here.

Stanley, you bastard. Where are you hiding?

I have several bones to pick with you.

You can’t hide forever, I can search this entire facility and find you!

But… ugh, I can’t be bothered to do that. Searching the entire facility sounds as though it would take a lot of time and effort.

Isn’t it actually because it wasn’t his fault to begin with?

What craziness are you spouting?

No. It’s because it would take too long and would ultimately be pointless. I’ll run into him later anyway.

Any time wasted can effectively be considered hundred fold. At maximum, I have seven more days before we leave this place. It’s doubtful I’ll even have a week, depending on how quickly people acquire points.

Speaking of points… How many points do I have anyway?

I seem to have… seven points?

Did Rin avoid killing Edward?

Maybe, Rin felt there was no need to?

Hmmm… I might ask her later, If I remember to.

Speak of Rin, what am I supposed to do about this engagement?

Do I like her?

…Do I love her?

Yes.

Only mildly surprised by my brain’s near instantaneous response.

Despite that… I can’t imagine myself being with her.

I shouldn’t be with her and definitely shouldn’t be her boyfriend (or engaged with her).

My love is more akin to how someone loves a character in a show or novel… and when I was writing Rin I always thought of her as a daughter of sorts.

It should be impossible to… No, it doesn’t matter what’s possible or not.

Disregarding that, I don’t feel worthy of her…

Seriously. Shut up, this is getting annoying to listen to. Who cares about worthiness? She clearly likes you. You like her.

It isn’t that simple.

YES, IT IS!

…Maybe, your right.

Fine, let’s get back to the warding room.

Aren’t you simply planning on avoiding the problem by distracting yourself?

Shush. I already agreed with your statement.

52