Chapter 42: Stories
1.6k 12 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Easy Zone - Campsite]

POV - Tobias

Wow, this storm is lasting a while.

We must have slept for six to eight hours at this point. How long is this storm going to last?

Glancing toward Rin, who was cutely scrunched up in her sleeping bag.

I still can’t believe she ambushed me with a kiss last night. Since when has she been so proactive?

I couldn’t have escaped even if I wanted to. She has an extremely powerful grip.

It was just a kiss on the cheek. Seriously, why do you always act so squeamish?

Shush. That wasn’t an invitation to have a conversation.

Still, something keeps bugging me about Bai Xiaobao…

Wait… I know!

He has a protagonist’s aura.

I can’t really describe it another way.

Stanley and Rin have this aura or atmosphere about them. I hadn’t exactly realized what it was before, but it’s like the universe itself is on their side.

Bai Xiaobao has a similar aura. Everything I’ve seen about him screams protagonist.

If I’m not mistaken, protagonist’s aura is probably a universe’s response to threats to its existence.

Hmmm… Attempting to have a protagonist as a disciple is tricky and risky.

It would increase the chance of him acquiring the void flower’s petals… but, protagonists usually shallow such items themselves and tend to quickly outgrow their teachers.

There would be no guarantee Bai Xiaobao wouldn’t simply use the items himself to improve his own abilities.

Threatening him wouldn’t work.

Nobody threatens or betrays a protagonist and thrives afterward without a redemption arc.

Hmmm, well… I’ll train him, it can’t hurt to collect some good karma. I’ll train someone else that I can threaten later.

…And If any of those scrubs dare to swallow my items, I’ll kill them.

That. That right there is what a villain would say. Are you trying to get yourself killed by a protagonist? Cause that’s how you get killed by a protagonist.

While you’re not wrong God-hunter, I don’t have another choice. I’m sure some Easy Difficulty scrubs would be more than happy to help.

I’ll make it clear what I expect from them up front.

If I’m going to take my valuable time train them and give them my information, I expect to be paid through one of those abilities I provided the information to find.

Do you need one of those abilities that badly?

It’s extremely unlikely I’ll survive the Fourth Zone without it.

Do you even know how to train somebody?

Nope, but I’ll figure it out!

Besides, for Bai Xiaobao, it’ll be easy. He has a protagonist’s aura. I’ll simply throw him into one impossible situation after another.

Protagonists grow best under extreme pressure. Growing in the peaceful Easy Zone is probably the only reason he’s weak.

I’ll simply be… upping the difficulty.

And we’re back in super villain territory.

Shush. It’s called training. Repeat after me. T-r-a-i-n-i-n-g.

I can’t wait to see how this plan falls apart.

Nonsense. The plan’s flexible. If Bai Xiaobao manages to acquire an ability for me, nothing will happen.

Besides, it’s not a proper plan. It’s a vague outline of a plan. A feeling. An overall impression.

Dad. How about you stop talking about plans and start enacting them? Mom’s already up and ready to go.

My eye’s twitched slightly at God-hunter calling Rin, ‘Mom’.

...But she was right, Rin was already up and ready to leave.

[Bai Xiaobao’s Village]

POV Swap – Bai Xiaobao

Rumble - Clang!

Bai Xiaobao was awoken by a loud noise.

His hut collapsed. Although unhurt, Bai Xiaobao was stunned by the sudden collapse. Exposed to the elements, Rain poured in. Knocking several of his precious trinkets over.

Ignoring the rain, Bai Xiaobao rushed to save his trinkets. Relaxing slightly after gathering them all. Confused, he checking the surrounding area.

His home was utterly destroyed. Rain poured down his face. Upset and sorrowful, he stared at the destruction of his home.

Except, this was only the beginning.

The ground began collapsing in a line from Bai Xiaobao’s house and, soon, another hut collapsed.

Then another.

The tunnel was collapsing, devastating the homes of villagers.

“What’s going on?!”

“My house! It collapsed!”

“Mine too! It’s a sinkhole!”

People, who were previously hiding away to avoid the rain, entered the streets and noticed the damage.

Which had only just begun.

As the tunnel continued collapsing, devastating hut after hut, more and more people began noticing.

Bai Xiaobao, at this point, realized it was his tunnel that caused the damage.

When the tunneled finally stopped collapsing, it had destroyed around a third of village. The twin-tailed chicken coop and the storage warehouse were utterly devastated. People began frantically working to rescue food and their possessions.

Staring at the destruction he was solely responsible for, Bai Xiaobao thought to himself. ‘It’s not too bad. I’m sure, nobody will mind.’

However, the people surrounding him didn’t share his carefree attitude. Unjustly, they began accusing the person they blamed for every problem that occurs in this village.

“It must be the phantom thief’s revenge!”

“The sly devil must have been angry that we tried to capture him again.”

“Damn him!”

Of course, in this case, they were technically correct in accusing him. Technically speaking, the phantom thief was responsible for this incident.

In fact, most of the problems that occurred in this village could be attributed to Bai Xiaobao. Assuming Bai Xiaobao is in the vicinity, it’s usually safe to assume any problem was caused by him.

“It’s not my fault. How could I know the rain would cause the tunnel to collapse?” Bai Xiaobao cried quietly to himself, upset at the unfair nature of his village’s legal system.

“With this much destruction, he must’ve left clues!”

“Search everywhere!”

Realizing the situation, people searching throughout the village for further clues. The villagers realized something strange while investigating.

“The sinkhole was created by a tunnel filling with rain?”

“A tunnel ran underneath the village this entire time?”

“The phantom thief must have been using it to get away!”

Realizing the situation, the villagers quickly worked out the reason a third of the village collapsed.

People discovering Bai Xiaobao's true identity was only a matter of time. If they searched him, they would discover around half of Bai Xiaobao’s trinkets were ‘borrowed’ from various people around the town.

Using the cover of the storm, Bai Xiaobao retreated into the forest with his belongings.

“The tunnel ends at Zhang Wei’s house?”

“Is Zhang Wei the phantom thief?”

“That can’t be?! He’s suffered more than anyone else from the phantom thief.”

“What about the other end of the tunnel?”

“It leads to the twin-tailed chickens’ coop.”

The villagers finally realized they’d been duped for the past year.

“Zhang Wei is Bai Xiaobao, the phantom thief. Find him!”

“I have a tracking ability! He went this way!”

Despite the pour rain and uncomfortable circumstances, the entire village joined in the search. They were closer than ever to catching the phantom thief.

…And the realization they’d been duped for an entire year caused the villagers to fly into a greater frenzy.

Rushing of into the forest, Bai Xiaobao needed to head toward an anti-tracking zone. He would hide for a few days, before showing up later when everyone had calmed down with a preplanned story and zero evidence on him.

Hearing people begin to catch up, Bai Xiaobao bit his lip and, hesitantly, threw a flash bang behind him. He hated using his trinkets. Especially because most only worked once and are extremely rare.

In this case, the flash bang seemed to have the opposite of the desired effect.

“He’s that way!”

“Go. Go. Go!”

With a more certain direction, they were approaching even faster than before.

The trees cleared up slightly and a cliff appeared and a small stream running through the forest turned into a waterfall.

Attaching himself to a previously prepared rope, Bai Xiaobao jumped off over the waterfall. The rope did its job and guided him back into a small cave hidden behind the waterfall.

He’d discover his small book here, which he keeps as a trinket. Bai Xiaobao didn’t actually know anything about this place other than the fact it was one of many small anti-magic tracking zones in the area.

For whatever reason, throughout this area, there are various places where most tracking abilities stopped working. Bai Xiaobao made it a habit to search for these places for emergencies.

Since he didn’t have an ability himself, he needed every advantage he can get.

Listening carefully, Bai Xiaobao heard sounds of movement and shouting above him.

“My ability stopped working. He was somewhere around here.”

“Anyone know of an anti-tracking zone around here?”

Listening to the people above him, Bai Xiaobao held his breath. Despite the fact that it was near impossible to be heard over the rain’s pattering and waterfall’s splashing was unlikely.

“I found a rope over the cliff!”

“Search it!”

Stepping into a corner, Bai Xiaobao prayed they didn’t find the cave entrance.

Sadly, it seemed his prayer were for naught.

“There must be a cave behind the waterfall.”

Searching through his trinkets, none seemed to be able to help him. Eventually, his glaze landed on the strange rock Tobias had given him.

Hesitantly, Bai Xiaobao glanced between the rock and waterfall. Hearing people get closer and closer, he decided and threw the rock at his feet.

A blue light shone and a barrier appeared surrounding him. Bai Xiaobao tapped the edge of the barrier carefully. It glimmered at his touch.

The outline of someone appeared in the cave.

“Zhang Wei, it’s over.” Recognizing Sidney’s voice as she moved through the cave toward him.

Bai Xiaobao backed up, only to hit the edge of the barrier behind him. He hadn’t expected Sidney to be the first to find him. She’s completely unreasonable.

He’d effectively trapped himself in this barrier and was profusely regretting it at the moment.

Coughing slightly to himself, Bai Xiaobao attempted to sound as confused as possible. “Over? What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play ignorant. Your name isn’t even Zhang Wei.” Sidney stared at him with a fiery rage in her eyes, “Isn’t that right, Bai Xiaobao? We found a passage hidden beneath your house. It was filled with chicken bones. You can’t talk your way out of this.”

Bai Xiaobao shouted filled with despair at injustice, “It’s not my fault! I’m being framed!”

“That’s for the village to decide.” Sidney said unperturbed, reaching forward as a black substance travel up her arm toward the barrier.

When the black substance reaching the barrier, Bai Xiaobao closed his eyes.

“What?!” Sidney shouted, sounding extremely surprised.

Slowly opening his eyes, Bai Xiaobao discovered the barrier was still in place.

He’s still fine? The barrier’s still fine?

Watch as Sidney tried again obviously confused, yet she receiving the same result.

The barrier flashed slightly and was otherwise unaffected.

Realizing he was safe, Bai Xiaobao laughed and taunted her. “So much for strongest ability around! You can’t even break a tiny barrier!”

Sidney’s eyes glazed over. Filled with anger, she bashed on the barrier repeatedly.

Yet, the barrier merely flashed slightly with each hit.

The fear Bai Xiaobao initially had of Sidney disappeared and he snidely said, “Corrosive touch. Pft, you can’t even corrode a rock.”

Each time Sidney hit the barrier, Bai Xiaobao became more and more confident and began taunting her to give up, something he’d previously been too afraid to say. “Why don’t you give up? You’ll never be able to break this barrier.”

Sidney, though, remained quiet and continued pounding the same spot on the barrier.

At first, it seemed like nothing was happening. However, after the thirtieth hit, an extremely small crack appeared.

Both of them stared at the crack.

Realizing it could be destroyed, Sidney’s gaze turned even more determined.

Bai Xiaobao, in the meanwhile, suddenly felt extremely regretful. He might have been able to convince Sidney before. Now, though, after continuously taunting her, he’d be lucky if she didn’t finish him off herself.

In the brief reprieve Sidney had given the barrier, it repaired itself. The crack had disappeared.

Although the crack was repaired, the damage had been done.

The barrier no longer seemed unbeatable. It might take time, but it can be destroyed.

Sidney turned around, walked toward the waterfall and shouted toward the people above, “Gather everyone. Zhang Wei’s here.”

Turning back toward Bai Xiaobao, Sidney quietly stared at him and stated. “You can’t hide in that barrier forever.”

[The Fake Capital – Thief’s basement]

POV Swap – Stanley

Within the basement, Stanley had finished discussing information about the surrounding area with Tanya. After providing her with a portion of his food supplies, he pondered the information he had received.

She didn’t know anything specific about doppelgangers, only rumors of people going missing and in-fighting between groups of people.

Tanya arrived here with a group around a year ago.

They had apparently hired a guide to take them to the exit beacon, yet he led the group into an ambush in the city. Most of her group died in the ambush and she stopped searching for the exit. Instead, she focused on surviving here.

People do not trust each other here. That’s something she learned the hard way. Attempting to get a job almost got her sold as a slave.

Thus, she learned to steal.

Tanya’s entire story painted her entirely as the victim. In my experience, that only happens if the tale is only partially true, or greatly exaggerated, to portray themselves as more innocent.

Of course, there are probably elements of truth in it. Even if it’s entirely false and I was scammed, I still learned something about the culture of the area.

For the time being, I’ll trust the Narrator.

He brought me to Tanya because it was the luckiest course of action. Although, it’s questionable whether the Narrator truly provides the luckiest result.

[After feeding and helping the thief, Tanya, Stanley head toward the palace in the center of the Fake Capital.]

Toward the palace?

Standing up, Stanley brushed himself off and informed Tanya. “I’m going toward the palace.”

“What? Why? You can’t enter it, it’s guarded.” Tanya questioned, while storing the food she hadn’t eaten.

“Doesn’t matter. I can handle it.” Stanley waved off her concern. Stanley wasn’t afraid of causing a fuss if he needed to.

Besides, the Narrator didn’t say that he necessarily needed to enter the palace.

POV Swap – Hansoo

[Gods’ Tower]

Entering the tower, a suppression affected Hansoo’s body. Weaken than ever before, struggling to even breathe, he looked around the room.

A pantheon. A Greek pantheon with a fire blazing in the center.

Lying on the floor, Hansoo’s life was slowly being strangled from his body.

Closing his eyes for a brief reprieve, before opening with determination burning inside them. He’d survived monstrosities, cultists, and extra-dimensional horrors.

Hansoo wouldn’t die here.

As though responding to his determination, the suppression lessened. It became possible to breathe.

Hansoo ignored his weakened body and stood up. Wherever he was, the system was inaccessible.

He found murals, pictures, showing a recognizable story. The story of Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and his subsequent imprisonment.

Hansoo gazed into the fire centered in the pantheon before dragging his feeble body out the temple.

A path of clouds existed outside leading to further buildings.

While Hansoo was preparing to explore further, a crow spoke. “What did you think of the story of Prometheus?”

Hansoo stared toward the talking crow and responded with his thoughts, “It’s just that, a story. Nothing more.”

“Everything's a story. Only stories survive here. I suggest you rethink your philosophy. Otherwise, you won’t survive long.” The crow informed, before flying away he offer another piece of advice. “Until you are powerful enough to protect yourself, I wouldn’t tell anyone your true name. See you around, black survivor.”

Left alone to ponder his words, Hansoo adjusted his mentality.

Although Hansoo thought it would be gullible to trust the talking crow, a certain level of caution should be taken in a new place. Implementing a false name was a simple countermeasure.

Hansoo heard the clanging of a blacksmith’s hammer. Hansoo dragged himself to a forge where a black-haired man stood crafting something.

Sensing his approach, the man calmly said. “Wait for a moment, it’s almost finished.”

The blacksmith was working on a spear similar to his own. The blacksmith quenched the spear in water. When lifted out, the spear shone in the sun and a halo of light appeared around it.

Flipping the spear into the air, the blacksmith held it toward Hansoo. “Try it.”

Hansoo cautiously put his hands around it. When the blacksmith released the spear, it dropped to the floor. Hansoo couldn’t support its weight.

“Not strong enough yet.” The blacksmith said, nodding to himself, before picking up the spear and placing it on a rack.

Keeping a distance from the man, Hansoo asked. “What is this place?”

“Olympus. Or what’s left of it.” The blacksmith calmly replied, gesturing to the decaying ruins that made up the surrounding buildings.

Discovering a common theme, Hansoo stated. “So are you claiming to be Hephaestus? God of blacksmiths?”

“Seems people still remember my story.” Hephaestus stated with a slight smile on his face. Picking up another ingot of metal, he began creating another item. “But, no. We’re mere echoes from the stories of Olympian gods.”

Frowning at his words. Hansoo reposition himself to lean on his own spear.

“Still, this place isn’t safe for mortals.” Hephaestus continued, gesturing toward Hansoo. “Even mortals with impressive stories. Apollo should have warned you. You should leave.”

Hansoo eyes flashed in a dangerous light. Despite the kind tone, Hansoo didn’t like people telling him what to do. He needed strength to save the universe and this was the best place to obtain it.

Still, Hansoo understood confronting Hephaestus was not an option.

Hansoo was barely standing. He was in no condition to fight.

Noticing the looking in Hansoo’s eyes, Hephaestus shook his head and muttered. “Young and reckless. Most impressive stories are created by people with those traits. They used to be called heroes.”

Hansoo felt as though he was listening to an old man. Still, Hansoo didn’t believe in gods or whatever they were.

“Some remnants of Gods have… chaotic personalities.” Hephaestus warned, gestured his hammer in Hansoo’s direction, “If you insist on staying, you’re going to need training. Apollo should help you build a proper story.”

A male voice interrupted him, “There’s no point. He won’t survive that long.” The voice came from a younger, seemingly 20 year old, man who wore a regular t-shirt and black shorts.

A massive suppression spread through the area. Hansoo fell to the floor, unable to breathe.

“Loki, leave him alone.” Hephaestus directed, slamming his hammer into a metal ingot.

“Why do you care Hephaestus?” Loki crouched down over Hansoo, “He’s nothing.”

“He’s another person to remember and spread our stories.” Hephaestus stated plainly. “Now, let him go.”

The suppression released and Hansoo could breathe again.

“Apollo refused to train anyone else. You’d have to train him.” Loki remarked, before standing up and teleporting away.

Hephaestus stared down at Hansoo and sighed to himself. “Wonderful. Another fledgling to take care of.”

 

Spoiler

Wow... This chapter ended up being way longer than I originally intended.

It was entertaining to write, though.

Now that we're getting later into the story, I plan to spending some time on fleshing the stories of other protagonists.

I'd absolutely love to write more... if I wasn't insanely busy at the moment.

Anyway, next chapter should be on time (hopefully I haven't jinked it).

[collapse]
39