Chapter 49 – Casual Concealment
3.1k 8 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Due to the many concerns shown in the comments for the last chapter, I felt this was important to state about the current and future state of 'mind control' in the book.

Most of what is currently being shown, is hypnotism, distraction, and minor techniques to cause people to forget their train of thought. 

While mind control as true technique exists in the world, it is heavily taboo. For the obvious reasons, that it causes people in society to mistrust themselves and others. Even evil groups want to have assurances that their minds are their own, so it is part of the dance righteous and demonic sects play, in hunting down groups that stray too far from the 'mold'.

Funnily enough, one of the abilities the protagonist has will be scrutinized because of this. Let me know which one you think it is in the comments!

 

Hope you enjoy the chapter for today!

 

My mind switches to the incoming spiders.

As I realize how frightening this might be to normal people, I check in that direction, to see how close they are. And how long I have to warn everyone not to be scared.

I can just barely see the body of one of the big ones skittering closer.

As I turn back to the leader, it appears that I had worried for nothing. Before I had even noticed, it appears the boss lady was already lining the women up in orderly lines, facing the approaching spiders. They don’t seem to be in an offensive posture. In fact, it seems to be more of a welcoming one.

I can just overhear her saying, “Do not be concerned, it is just Gong’s ‘people’ coming to grab the Senior here.”

The taller women that can see the top of the oncoming spiders look at each other but stay calm.

They seem to be well trained.

However, in the back, I can see the blonde woman shivering, slightly.

They must have heard about what had happened… While the forces here must be trained, the regular prostitutes may not be as mentally strong against such things.

Hell. I would be scared, if I knew they weren’t on my side. I mean, they are giant fucking spiders.

The leader, seems to have been completely expecting them. She motions for us to head up with the group.

The spiders arrive quickly and at the crossroads of the alley. They don’t feel threatening from my connection, more anxious than anything.

Wait. They ‘feel’ anxious. This seems different than the normal animal reactions, from insects. I can sense the smallest vestiges of sapience.

Breaking me out my thoughts, is the leader facing me, clearly intending to say something.

She does another bow, “Thank you again for the help you’ve given to our group. This truly saved our group from a potentially unfortunate fate. Thank you.”

Coming up from her bow, she pulls something from her pocket. Four intricately designed bracelets, with lines of silver and gold interweaving into a band. One of the bracelets has a black metal overlayed within the lines.

“These are for your group, to be able to walk into any of our facilities. It represents our relationship as allies, as well as friends. The black metal one is specifically for you. Please stop by anytime, we would be honored to host your group.”

She continues with, “I do hope that you will pay us a visit sometime soon, in a more private scenario. I’m looking forward to being able to repay you for today’s work.” She hands me the black metal bracelet first and the others as a group.

The way she says that doesn’t appear sexual, so I guess she might have something else planned as compensation for today. I think I should bow and say something in response.

With a bow, I say, “Our group is honored to have your friendship and alliance. I am looking forward to visiting and working with your group further.”

I can feel myself hesitate before continuing.

Should I offer more?

I throw a feeling of alliance to the spiders, to reach Gong, oriented to the Yellow Sashes. I get a feeling of excitement back from Gong. Okay, so this is a good thing.

However, I see the leader’s eyes perk up in surprise, looking at me.

Oh shit. I didn’t consider the spiritual scan. Has she been doing that this whole time? She probably can tell that I can communicate with the spiders.

Damn. Well, I cannot worry about that too much. I will just focus on what I can handle.

I look at their whole group and my eyes land on the leader, the boss lady, the young lady who got in trouble, and finally the blonde young woman. My mind also drifts to the two women that I had helped.

I would not mind helping these people out. It seems they were rightfully cautious, but to the same extent that I would be with someone in my position. Hopefully, I can trust the leader with this secret.

I direct my eyes towards the leader. I can feel some hope fill me, that maybe this will be a good choice.

Her eyes meet mine and glance at the spider briefly, before she rubs the back of her head, nodding.

A feel a sigh of relief flow from me.

“If you guys need more help with healing in the future, I wouldn’t mind seeing how I can assist. I’ll stop by every once in a while to check in. If that’s okay with you?”

I feel the shadow of a growing smile from the leader, as she responds. “Of course! You will definitely be more than compensated for anything that you do with the group.”

“No need, just trying to help.” I wave a hand behind me as I walk over to one of the enormous spiders. Specifically, the one that does not appear to have spiky hair. It lowers its large butt and I climb on top of it, using a low tier intuition scan on how to not look like an idiot and fall off.

Success.

“Take care!” As the spider moves away, the group seems to be a bit confused, but okay with my friendliness. It seems like I still must get used to the culture here. I think people do not show overt kindness to people that easily.

Now that I think of it, many the things I’ve just done likely don’t mesh well with the culture.

Or common sense.

 

The giant spiders lead me closer to the border of her territory, as I keep a scan out. Once we cross the border, I can feel that I should get off here from Gong. The big spiders leave to go into different holes, while the small spiders motion for me to lie down on them.

 

Fuck no.

I say that telepathically.

I can hear them feeling hurt by my answer. Which makes me feel a tiny bit guilty. Even more so, when I can sense what their plan was, which isn’t half bad.

 

This is how I ended up laying down in a massive pool of spiders, with my eyes closed, and them swarming in every direction like a massive river. Within the river, they have me covered in every direction. Only my scan shows they are making it seem like there are me-sized lumps floating within, making it difficult to find out where I am. They split off into different directions.

All of this is to conceal how and where I am entering the caverns.

However, I still have a bad feeling. Especially since that leader seemed extremely interested in me and our group.

I cannot risk it.

Again.

Spreading out my scan with a large directional pulse, I manage to sense where the leader is and immediately extend a low-tier ranged scan at her.

As I thought. She’s been looking this way the whole time.

I look directly at her location.

 

Her eyes and lips turn up in surprise as she faces another direction to speak to someone.

The itch that I never knew was there leaves me, potentially the spiritual sense she was using to track me.

Wait, it was actually just a stray spider.

Sigh… I’d be fooling myself if I thought it was just the spider.

Something feels different though, like I’m more aware. Less distractible.

 

Surprisingly, all of this didn’t take that much out of me. Though, I suspect it was because I used the scanning ability much more efficiently this time. Being directional, using pulses, and then focusing in. All while using the lower tier of the scan.

Nonetheless… this proves my thoughts.

I am never truly safe, unless I confirm it. They could always be ‘listening’ in on my thoughts or my location. Until I learn cultivation, I may never know or be able to defend against it.

It wasn’t only old man or Big Sister Crane, but also this Yellow Sashes leader, that seemed like they were able to read my mind.

I can’t tell if it’s because I have no cultivation, that they can read me so easily or if that could happen to even cultivators. Based on the little I know about this world’s cultivation tiers, it should be exceptionally more difficult to determine things and affect mental states. Hell, I'm not even sure if they are truly reading my mind.

Even with that, I cannot allow my abilities to be fully known. Or if they are found out, only a portion of it should be revealed.

Damn. This means that I really will need to get used to not using the scan on myself. Only going by feel.

If that is what it takes to survive this world, I’ll do it though.

Sigh.

At least this will let me get used to the intuition ‘genius’ feeling. It is quite nice to just sense things. In some ways, it is starting to even feel natural. Like it isn’t just the ability itself, but also my body learning the patterns and what to look for.

 

As I finish my thoughts on this, the spiders bring me into a deeper area of the cavern, a safe area… from what I can tell.

As I come out of the receding wave of spiders, I can see Gong standing there, waiting for me.

 

 

 

 

Hey guys (and gals), as always, thank you for reading my book!

Just a quick note, I will be reducing the amount of “detailed scans” that the protagonist does, mainly because I don’t want this to be too Litrpg-like. Obviously, it will have some elements, but I think it may detract from the story if I go further with it. 

The above reasoning in this chapter is my lore-friendly way of phasing it out. There will be some occasions where it will be used, but on the whole will be adjusted in some way. To be frank, keeping up on the spreadsheets for them and the future aspects is also getting in the way of my writing quality. While I work a full-time job.

I hope you all can understand.

If you disagree with this and believe it should be included more, let me know in the comments below. If enough people are interested, I’ll look into having the mechanic reintroduced in a less intense way.

133