Chapter 96 – Missing Information
2.1k 6 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Turning my head toward her, I nod my head.

“Yeah, I can definitely try to hear you out on this. What did you have planned?”

"Well, I may have to apologize to you before I tell you what happened. As thanks for your work with their gang, the Yellow Sashes actually gave us quite a bit of money and influence. Since this was items technically meant for us but came from you, I should have let you know about it earlier.

"However, I think you'll really appreciate what we were able to get with those resources. I negotiated with Big Sis Crane, to be able to get something you may not know of yet. Something called a contract."

Ha, could this be like the contracts that are done in those fantasy stories? The ones where you’re able to bind someone according to a set agreement?

Wow, it actually looks like that's the case, based on my scan. The real question is, what level of contract did she manage to get for us.

While I’m a little bothered that she used it without letting me know, it looks like this is a massive deal either way.

 

She actually explains about contracts, and giving the different levels as well as what they’re usually used for.

In a general sense, the level of contracts depends on the type of binding that is done between the two parties. At the lowest level of contract, there is the binding of the body, where there will be some type of physical price paid for breaking the contract. The next level of contracts typically deals with the Qi side of things, going from hurting one's cultivation to completely crippling them with key diseases in high level cultivation-based issues.

The highest level of this type can also completely cripple one’s cultivation and make them physically crippled, as well for the rest of their life maybe even leading into death immediately. Of course, within this level and the previous one, there are ones that just induce death upon breaking the contract.

However, there’s a final level of contract. This level deals with the matter of the soul, as they would say. No matter how high your cultivation, binding via this contract and breaking it would cause your existence to flicker and damaged in some way.

The highest cultivators, with their multiple ways of staying alive and having versions of immortality, could fall using this type of contract. Losing their life immediately, without a whisper. There are few ways to come back from something like that.

 

Obviously, this is not the level that Gong was able to get.

 

An interesting note for all contracts, is that the one who maintains the contract in the event of the other party breaking it, has the option of forgiving select members of the other party. In general, they usually just kill everyone or form a secondary contract to allow the party that broke the contract, to avoid the consequences. The breakage of contract terms is automatically known by all parties. If the contract has terms for individuals within a party contract, that takes precedence, so that the others aren’t in breach.

Breaches of contract can happen with both intended and unintended breaches. If you are planning on breaking it, it is a breach of contract. If you promise to do something and cannot do it, no matter how you try, you are in breach.

 

At first, when I heard this and saw this via my scan, I was quite frightened about what this could mean for being forced into a contract against my will.

Luckily though, since this is a binding contract between two souls, it requires the full unforced consent of the other. There’s been efforts to make a forced contract, but it seems the rules of the of the world do not allow this use with Qi.

Of course, you could always put the other party in such a disadvantageous position that they have no choice but to actually pick the contract. But, if they're being actually forced, whether through torture or other means, the contract won't work.

Still not optimal, but not as bad as I was assuming…

Regarding the contract that Gong was able to get, it appears she was able to get a contract that will induce death and silence in any cultivators that are below foundation establishment cultivation.

Normally, this would be completely impossible for her to get. But Big Sis Crane just ‘had one lying around.’

She shows me the contract, which I use my scan on. There doesn’t appear to be any funny business within it. Just a standard contract of this type, With the variation that it can be used on a party of people instead of a singular person.

Seriously, what is Gong’s relationship with big sis crane? This contract itself… is worth entire sects. Extremely small ones, but sects nonetheless. Actually, it is likely to be worth even more for this area. Which apparently is on the low end of the cultivation realms.

From what I can gather, its price has been severely understated by Big Sis Crane.

 

… It actually makes me wonder, if Gong had to choose between me and her, who would she pick?

 

I feel that I wouldn’t like that answer.

 

At this point, I’m not sure if I should be cautious, even though it seems like she would do nothing to betray me.

… But it wouldn’t be good to distrust my allies at this point. Especially when I’m this deep in the hole with them. That only breeds distrust and can cause issues with our group.

Not only that, but this contract is for me. She used her connections with her to get a contract like this for me.

I need to stop with the distrust. At least for them.

As I tuned back into the conversation, I see Gong looking at me. She seems to have caught on to my anxiety via her sniffing. However, it seems she also caught on to my ultimate feeling of release.

 

She opens her mouth, but then closes it. Appearing to hold back some words she was going to say, choosing instead to continue with the conversation.

“I want to take some of the demi humans and have their curses removed.”

Before I can say anything else, she points at the contract and continues.

“Using this, we’ll make sure that there will be no issues with them betraying us. More specifically, betraying you and your secrets.”

I can work with this.

“So, you want me to heal them and their curses? What would you suggest the terms of the contract be?”

 

She lists out a general contract. One that has them commit to silence in all forms of communication or inference to anyone outside the group, as to the source of their curse removal and healing, until given permission by me. They also agree to be completely loyal to both Gong and myself, with a priority to myself. They also seek to improve the benefit of the group, unless it would significantly affect either Gong or I.

There are a few more loopholes closed within it, preventing any shenanigans with potential betrayals. I also use the scan to determine any other loopholes, which we add into the wordage.

There is only one clause added to this contract, that I felt uncomfortable about.

Gong will be able to override my orders if it will significantly harm my personal wellbeing. Typically, this would only be used in situations where they need to help me because of insanity, adjust the strategic decision, or prevent a major misstep, in the moment.

At first, I severely protested this, but Gong was adamant that this is the stone she would die on. That it was essential to making sure that I stay safe.

Strangely, my scan actually agreed with her assessment and marked it as a safeguard in this situation. It laid out situations where people have gone insane, was being manipulated but had no choice in a situation but to give bad orders, among other situations. It also gave a situation where my naivety could cause lives to be lost. It also showed areas where an override wouldn’t apply and work.

Ultimately, due to both the scan and Gong’s words, I allowed this clause to stay in the contract.

Generally, I actually feel comfortable with this contract and healing them, in light of my new determination to be more careful. Though I do have some apprehensions, if even my scan is telling me this is a good idea, which hasn’t failed me yet, then I should probably move forward with it.

“Alright, you got me. Let’s go heal them.”

 

“Thank you, James… You won’t regret this.”

I sure hope so, Gong. I sure hope so.

 

Hey guys, just a heads up.

If you are interested in supporting me and my work, and would like to see up to 16 chapters ahead of the public release, check out my Patreon below. You'll be able to see the final drafts of the work and have a bigger say in what might go into the public release.

Nonetheless, thanks for reading my novel. I truly appreciate the fact that so many people seem to be enjoying my work and want to see it succeed.

 

From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys. I really appreciate you.

100