Chapter 115 – Tight Bonds
1.7k 7 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes open to a new day.

Well, to be specific, the stone ceiling, which is quite a way deep underground. But it is definitely morning outside.

Thinking about the rest of the group, I turned my scan over onto my allies. What I find is that Ai and Lin are already sitting at the main room table. Gong has been working with the demi humans for a while now.

From my scan, I can tell none of the others have gotten much sleep. Subtly, I raised the healing for each of them, removing penalties from having no sleep.

 And I begin my final morning ritual for the last time in this area.

I complete my workout, practiced my awareness all night successfully, and even did one last trap run-through that had been previously set up by Gong.

It was pretty easy to complete, as it was one of the early and simple ones.

Coincidentally, or not, right when I finish and begin heading to the main table to join Ai and Lin, it appears that Gong has already finished with her activities with the other demi humans, and is already on her way over to the table.

I end up timing it so that we all meet at the same time.

Funnily enough, as Gong and I enter at the exact same time from opposite parts of the room with our eyes meeting, Lin suddenly starts chuckling. Which draws our attention over to her.

 

“Really, James? It’s a day like this and you still do stuff like this, making it so dramatic?”

 

Ah. I’ve been found out.

 

Ai Is the first break, as I begin to hear a low giggling from her. Gong also cracks a smile, seeming to agree with that preposterous motion.

OK, maybe it’s not so preposterous. But I’m not that bad, right?

As I think this, I can just barely hear them whisper something to each other.

“Look, he’s doing that thing again. You know. The thing where he just starts looking in a random direction, while tilting his head upwards. What is he doing? Is he trying to appear mysterious?”

Ah, they may have a point.

I catch myself looking out into the distance. At a wall.

Despite their only slightly true words, it appears this seems to have calmed the tensions in the room a bit.

It really is time.

I suppose the last thing that we should do is say goodbye to Gong.

We all seem to have the same thought, as Gong has clasped both of her hands in front of her and we turn to her. She’s fidgeting slightly at the attention.

Ai and Lin are the first to speak, their voices soft and already filled with emotion.

“Gong, for a long time now you’ve been helping us out. You’ve always been right around the corner, and even though there are a lot of rough times, you were always there protecting us from outside elements. Because you had secured that area, we only had to deal with a few assholes, rather than all of them.”

She holds up a hand, before Gong can respond back with a denial.

“I know that it wasn’t specific to us, per say. But even you can’t deny that there was a focus on us. Not only that, but when we were in extremely tough position, you brought us here. Into your home. For a trivial amount, compared to what we’re receiving. Despite all the prejudices that we had going in.”

She gives a smile, full of gratefulness and emotion. Almost as if it was practiced, both Lin and Ai simultaneously bow to her, deeply.

“For all of that, we want to thank you.”

Gong moves to bring them up, which they don’t allow.

Lin speaks up now.

“We will bring back those cultivation methods. After all that was done, it is the least of what we can do to help. We are in this together.”

She glances at her sister, before both nod at each other.

Gong looks tearful and grateful for this.

They finally move up to look her in the eyes, then turn to me.

“In a similar, but also much different way, we are grateful to you, as well, James. We would not be here, if it wasn’t for you healing us that day. We truly can never repay you for what you have done.”

 

Ai turns away at Lin’s words and heads into their room, bringing back a few cups and some type of bottle.

Lin goes quiet as Ai speaks up.

“With that said, I’d like to propose something between the three of us.”

She meaningfully looks each of us deeply in the eyes.

“Lin and I have come to care about each of you, as closely as a brother and a sister. I read about a ritual that represents this bond, as sworn brothers and sisters. It is meant to solidify our bond as someone like family.

“If you’d allow me to make an impertinent request, I’d like us to become closer in this way.”

I’ve heard of this back on Earth and it seems to have similar connotations here.

I think I could work with this.

 

 

…Wait a second.

 

Let me check into this first, before agreeing just because it sounds good.

 

Okay, it’s pretty much the same. The only exception is that it has some weird tie ins to marriage for sworn sisters and brothers. Something similar to a possible transition period. But it doesn’t have to go that way.

It’s not a guaranteed thing.

… Not totally.

It’s mainly for building trust between parties.

Mostly.

 

 Almost subconsciously, Gong and I look at each other. Looking at each other’s eyes. Turning back to Ai, I can see her staring into mine.

Sigh.

It’s not crazy enough to decline… and I want them to be able to trust me more. If this helps, then I’ll do it gladly.

And it’s not like I’m missing the cues here. I just want to make sure they are alright. That they won’t feel obligated, when I try to go above and beyond to help them.

 

Gong is the first to speak up.

“If you are alright with me… I’d love to do that. I’ve already been thinking of you guys that way from the start.”

They share a sweet moment, with smiles abound.

I speak up next.

“I know there are some other aspects to this…”

Lin and Ai freeze, but then visibly gulp.

“… but I’d also would be happy to do this. I also already see us in a close relationship.”

 

They immediately start cheering and even Gong is showing a big smile.

 

I say a few more words, to try to figure out my emotions and talk it out. Something I practiced doing back on Earth.

 

“I’ll admit, that I can’t help but want to be closer to you guys. It’s been a long journey here and you guys have been there at every step. I’m really hap…”

I can feel myself gesturing and talking a bit more than usual, when I suddenly feel some wetness on my hand.

Looking down, I see another tear dripping from my face to the ground.

Ah, I’m crying.

I guess… I really was missing home even more than I thought.

In some ways, I viewed these guys as just allies and maybe even friends. But with this, I think, I have some people I can truly trust here too. People who actually care about me, for me. That I can rely on and care about.

While Gong and I were already along that line, it’s a lot nicer than I thought it would be to know Ai and Lin feel that way too. That what we went through together wasn’t a transient thing.

As I think on this, I feel multiple arms wrap around me. I look up quickly to see all of them have surrounded me.

Gong looks at me with a now emotional smile.

“You adorable, adorable man. I really cannot leave you alone, can I?”

 

Both Lin and Ai, seem to have some tears cresting their eyes, as they too hold me.

“You can’t get rid of us that easily. You are our dramatic brother now.”

 

The light rain from our eyes only increases.

 

Even after the tears are done, we stand there in silence for a bit. Just taking comfort in each other’s presence.

 

Only one thought remains in my mind, as we eventually separate.

 

 … it feels good to have a family again.

 

 

 

After that, we transition to actually doing the ritual, which is just taking a glass of wine and dropping each of our blood in it, before drinking it together.

I heal each of us after drinking it. Just in case. Can’t be too sure with bodily fluids.

 

With this done and our hearts full, Ai, Lin, and I finally head out on our journey to our individual pickup areas.

We quickly wave goodbye to each other as the morning sun floats behind us.

 

We each head on our separate roads to cultivation.

93