Chapter 141 – Increasing Value
1.6k 2 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My body relaxes into the surprisingly comfortable chair, as the hot but slightly sweet tea in front of me steams the air. It also appears that the word about the rats has gone around, leading to a sharp decrease in fights and abusive behaviors. For the next few hours, I'm able to sit here and use my scanning/healing to help people with almost no issues.

Within my local area, at the café, more nobles have come to investigate who I could be and to establish a relationship with me.

On my side, I’ve already been reading the book and just know the content up to the page I’m on.

It’s just going through some of the wars the country’s been in and how that tie into the importance of the sect alliance system.

Funnily enough, it has some good evidence for its points and is mostly unbiased. Ultimately, the clerk was right.

This book is more of an opinion piece on why things have turned out the way they have, with evidence to back its points.

Though this book may not be talking directly about the culture, it actually touches upon on the history, biases, and other aspects of the country.

From the little I’ve read of the other book, it is a general cultural norms book, primarily for merchants and their family members, that is severely limited in scope. It only focuses on what to say and do, with our context on the why it is done. Without such a context, I could do the wrong action at the wrong time.

While they meant it to be the book that reaches you everything, its primary mistake is that it comes from the perspective of a native, rather than someone new to the culture. So, it takes certain things for granted as it teaches what to do.

Combined with the previous book, it becomes a pretty good primer to the culture.

I considered just scanning the book and getting all the information within it… but someone could ask me about where I am in the book. It would be a lot more realistic, if I was actually reading from it and could speak from where I've stopped reading other than the full book itself.

Not only that, there are certain nuances that a person has when they already know the content of a book, rather than when they are reading it for the first time.

It's also a great chance to practice focusing my mind towards one thing while letting my scan and healing do something else at the same time.

 During this whole time, they continue to bring tea, some light snacks, and in some ways, I could enjoy the shows put on by other nobles as they seek to entertain and catch my attention.

Case in point, the noble that was just enjoying themselves before in a book, has now instructed their dancers to orient their gazes and actions toward the outside. Particularly towards me.

Which admittedly did work, as the dancers are extremely beautiful. Comparatively so, to the higher leveled Yellow Sashes women.

 So, when an attendant discreetly made their way over to my table from theirs, I was unsurprised. Their request was simple, if I'd like to join them for some gourmet food and company. The noble in question was from the Lu Clan and is named Lu Jai.

They don’t appear to be a cultivator and might be a minor member, with a measure of wealth.

While their request is simple, the intention behind it obviously is not.

 I've seen many contacts run over to their table, subtly whispering in their ear. Since I focus my scan on the healing, and on protecting myself, I could only use small pulses plus the skill of lip reading, that I'm getting accustomed to.

The little I saw; reveals they know I'm the person who beat young master Shui and will join the sect soon. This mostly shuts down the rumors of me being a Maw.

Not completely though, as some Maw are not cultivators, but are on the path to becoming one. Being a Maw is as much a position as it is an earned title.

As long as you’ve could down a significant target, you could be named a Maw. You wouldn’t be confirmed publicly, but some people from the Plains can tell just by looking.

 

Focusing back in on the request, I politely decline, while still paying compliments to the beauty of their dancers and the atmosphere they've cultivated within their area.

This action and way of navigating the political landscape is actually in the book that I currently reading. The section I pulled from is one that talks about how nobles navigated their situations to not offend others and also still make good impressions.

 Since this is still an opinion book, it also mentions the author’s take on how this allowed the alliance of sects to come about through mutual cooperation and what it could have done better.

 This actually worked. The noble appeared somewhat disappointed, but was satisfied by my compliments. They looked back towards me multiple times throughout the day, as well.

This happened a few more times by a variety of different nobles, each offering something different and slightly more valuable.

This too, is part of the dance they do in their circles. Testing the waters of their fellow nobles to see what they do and don't like.  

The recommendation from the book, for these situations and how major pitfalls could have been avoided in history, is to deny most inquiries, until something that truly interests you comes up. What you value will be that much more focused on from that point.

Alternatively, if you accept every invitation, the value of your interactions goes down. Which causes them, rightfully or not, to devalue you.

This tactic works best when the individuals don't know you that well. Being a mystery to them, they're more inclined to believe there is something of value that you hold if you deny them and others repeatedly.

The end of the day comes near.

No change comes from the healing front and I seem to be doing well.

 

Suspicious.

 

Despite my feelings, by the end of the day I end up leaving to head back to the prospective sect member dorms with no issues.

Walking toward the dorm, I see a cultivator watching from the rooftops. He gives me a nod before returning to watch the area.

 

As I go through the door, my scan shows him motioning to another person in the distance, who runs in another direction. My pulse shows the guy to be giving information to a few different people, mostly the nobles.

Greeting me at the door is a tiny Dana, the blob. Nestled in Mei Lin’s sleeping arms is a larger version of her, in a blob like form.

It looks really comfortable…

 

The other two heroes are still keeping watch, but give me a mental nod. I forgot that they no longer require sleep, though from my connection with them I find they do so more, as they grow more intelligent. Under times of stress or orders, they utilize it to the fullest.

Dana shares with me her microscopic selves’ findings, keeping watch on general areas.

The three also deterred three attempts to approach Mei Lin with their presence. All had approached the entrance, but noted their defense of the area and had backed away.

… I might need to use her help more. This is in some ways much more convenient than my scanning ability at general information gathering.

I can’t help but to praise them for their excellent work and let them know that I’m looking forward to working with them even closer. I spend some time sharing with them my day and just doing some light chatting to build our bond more.

It was actually quite nice. I enjoyed their personalities, though Dana remained quiet, but engaged.

Unfortunately, it was like a blur, as my want to sleep overcame me and I hopped in the bed. Although I don’t need to sleep, I can still dream and it provides me with some measure of mental stability. Letting me feel somewhat like a human.

My plan is to talk with them and Mei Lin a bit more tomorrow and to head to the market to continue my facade while healing people. Maybe find some useful items while I do so.

All the while, hoping that things don’t escalate on the healing side. Only time will tell.

 

Honing my focus in on my awareness technique, I allow sleep to overtake me, as the hero group continued their watch.

 

They’ve definitely grown on me. Thank goodness for them.

 

Just as a reminder, if you would like to see up to 16 chapters ahead of the public release, come check out my Patreon!

 

If you have the time, please consider making a positive written review on this site. They really help with getting more people interested in my work.

Thanks for reading my work!

87