Chapter 244 – Qualities of the Body
1.5k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sister Nuan looks at me with some confusion, on why I’m not grabbing the items before us.

Soon enough, she seems to have some understanding. But what I’m actually doing is just scanning some of these lightly to find out what they do.

Knowledge is power, after all.

She speaks softly and with a surprising amount of personal compassion.

“… I am still your master, you know. I wouldn’t have you heal people who would forget favors. Especially ones as heavy as this is.

“They’ll look out for you and will treat you like their own.”

She looks away for a bit.

“They did the same for me when I was working through things. One of the few who actually cared, other than D… Big Brother Gu.”

She pauses and seems to take a moment to recollect herself.

“But enough of that. We have much to do and not much time. Even more so, when considering that you still have to grab your future servants.”

“Here.”

The first thing she grabs is the two jade slips I had noticed earlier.

“These are the personal techniques and body cultivation methods from Elder Li. He’s passing them down to you to use and share with your followers.”

My eyes automatically shift over to Elder Li in shock.

He’s looking sagely off into the distance.

 

… but my scan reveals he was watching us intently just seconds before to catch my reaction.

Sister Nuan has her fingers on her temple, as with her level, she can easily see all of this.

“Despite how he may seem, his methods and techniques are of a high class. In particular, is his body cultivation method should be particularly useful, considering that you are a healer.’

Wow… these guys are actually really trying to support me. No one just gives their techniques and methods over like that. Especially if they are of a high quality.

There has to be a catch, right?

And not only that, but I don’t believe I can practice body cultivation methods, as I already having the healing one…

At this thought, I know the apprehension has shown in my subconscious and I can sense Elder Li looking even farther away now.

Sister Nuan fills the gap.

“It makes sense that you wouldn’t know, as it is a pretty well-kept secret from the public. There are hidden depths to the realms of body cultivation.”

She quickly goes over the basics and summarizes it as such:

 

Common Realm: Comprises the vast majority of available methods

  • Standard Body Cultivation.
    • Helps to improve the spirit root and is the basis for start your normal cultivation journey strong. Not a cultivation method, but more like honing/purifying your body.
  • Body-focused Cultivation Methods
    • Actual cultivation method, focused on using qi to enhance the body in a variety of different ways. All the qi in the body is focused on using this as a cultivation method.

Hidden Realm: Known by few. Usually used by body cultivation focused sects or clans.

  • True Body Cultivation Methods
    • This is where body cultivation is used as a separate form of progression from normal qi cultivation. With this, qi in the body is split unequally between the normal cultivation and the user's body cultivation method. Depending on the normal cultivation method, is can go significantly either way.
    • For this balance to work, the body cultivation method has to be paired with specific normal cultivation methods.

Secret Realm: Hard to find, kept under wraps by powerful interests, nobles, and other groups.

  • Standalone Body Cultivation Methods
    • Similar to True Body Methods, but can be used with almost any cultivation method.
    • Has a straight 50/50 distribution of qi to both the normal cultivation method and body cultivation method.

Unknown/Mythical Realm: Lost and or impossible

  • Symbiotic Body Cultivation Methods
    • Practicing cultivation increases the efficacy of body cultivation.
    • Practicing body cultivation increases efficacy of cultivation.
    • Enhances the use of qi for both.
    • More effective with certain methods, but can be used with any method.

 

 

After that download of information, more things become clear to me.

This is why there haven’t been successful revolts by non-noble groups in history.

The history of this world is through stealing. Many secret groups obtained great cultivation methods and distributed them around to each other. But they never could seem to fully beat nobles down, even with great talents on their side.

It’s because the deck was stacked so far against them.

It’s as if people stole an assault rifle, but could only shoot semi-automatic. But the nobles were the ones with grenades and automatic guns.

There’s little chance something like that could succeed. It still allowed them to have a seat at the table, but the control would still be in the noble’s hands.  

But what I hear next is quite surprising.

“Elder Li’s method is known to be of the Hidden Realm.”

How she worded that was weird. Don’t tell me…

“… but it is actually the Secret Realm. As you probably have already guessed, such knowledge wouldn’t go over well with certain groups. But now that has changed a bit.”

Elder Li is approaching quickly to join the conversation. It seems he is no longer content on hearing others speak on his behalf.

“With us three Elders prepared and at our peak… they won’t be able to suppress me any longer. And by extension, you.”

He then does something surprising.

He bows his head at me.

“Please. Spread this old man’s methods and techniques to your servants.”

I immediately rush to have him lift his head while agreeing. Separate from the previous times I’ve asked others to do so, this is an Elder bowing his head. It’s a completely different level.

Thankfully, he does.

The sincerity in his eyes doesn’t leave, though.

“For all of these years, I’ve had to hide the potential of my method from others. And clearly for good reason. If it wasn’t for us practicing this, our cultivations would have dropped to Master Ming’s level as well. If they had known how effective it was, they clearly wouldn’t have stopped where they did.”

The others have stopped mulling around and have approached as well. Master Ming nods in affirmation while opening his mouth.

“Admittedly, I was much more stubborn than Senior Tian was over here. I refused to change from my personal body cultivation method, believing it capable of reaching greater heights than his. Especially, since it specializes in such unconventional ways.”

I feel my ears prick up at this turn of phrase.

Unconventional methods are the bane of a normal cultivator’s existence… but for someone like me who can parse through them with my scan, can be a godsend. Even my healing cultivation method would be absolute hell for even genius cultivators to understand. Only my scan and the way I received the method helped me to understand it in a deeper way.

Elder Li solidifies my decision with his next words.

“As you might know, my moniker is the Speedy Tortoise. No one can break through my defenses and there isn’t a situation that I can’t escape with my combat techniques and body cultivation method. They work together. It also provides slight resistance to curses, poisons, and other effects.”

Master Ming makes a pained look before adding his words to Elder Li’s.

“While they couldn’t save me from the curse, it wasn’t the fault of them, but my own decisions. Ones that I still regret.”

He goes silent at this, his eyes downcast.

Elder Li soon speaks back up.

“The slips have dense information and I don’t plan on giving it piecemeal. Everything I currently have done and plan to do with it is in there. I’m still expecting you to check in regarding how it works in practice, though.”

 

He steps back, though I certainly still have questions for him.

But they move on to the next two items, two jade slips.

Sister Nuan holds it up for me to see. I have a suspicion of what they are based on what Elder Li gave me.

“As you can guess, these are the techniques from both Master Ming and Senior Tian. From Master Ming, it is his contract creation technique and from Senior Tian, it is a combination of his talisman and formation creation techniques. These will take some time to look through, so I will have things set up for you later, back at your tower.

“If one of your servants wishes to learn contract cultivation methods, you can send them to him, as there are ways to make the process absurdly easier with a dedicated method.”

Her gaze changes over to the other items.

“Here are some talismans you’ll be using.”

She quickly reviews the various categories of talismans and how to activate them.

“I want you to take these talismans with you now. The other items I’ll also set up back in the tower for us to go over later.”

She quickly takes all the items into her sleeve.

A slight suspicion that she might grab some of it crosses my mind, but is quickly dismissed. There are so many other ways she could do something and could have already.

But I’ve memorized the amount and general aspect of the items, just in case.

 

All good things come to an end, though, and we part ways with Sister Nuan and I leaving to head to the tester housing area.

Where everyone should be waiting.

51