Chapter 29: Summons
344 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Maisen and I walked back to The Noble Lady, side by side, my bodyguard started inundating me with a ton of questions. "Where did you learn to negotiate? Do you actually make a profit by wholesaling? Why order signs specifically? Where will you come up with the princely sum of money to pay for it?"

I winced under the verbal assault and had to stop walking in order to make her stop asking so many questions. Although Maisen resembled the late female wrestler Chyna physically, my bodyguard had the curiosity of a cat! I wasn't sure how much of my plans I should reveal to Maisen since I had just met her today. On the other hand, information flowed two ways; she had been rather accommodating in answering all my questions regarding this gaming world, and courtesy if not Honor required me to reciprocate and accommodate her now. "I'm not sure how much Kalistra has told you about me, but let's say that I'm not from around here. Back where I come from, merchants DO buy goods in mass quantity, on a wholesale basis, and then resell the products to customers. That's what we call 'retail selling,'" I began my explanation.

Seeing Maisen raise her eyebrows dubiously, I continued my discussion. "I understand this may sound complicated to you but where I come from we practice something called ‘division of labor,’ where people divided tasks into very specific and specialized work. For example, a farmer would focus on growing crops. After harvest, the farmer would then sell his crops to a wholesaler rather than take that crop to the market to sell himself. The farmer has specialized knowledge of how to farm and makes his crops healthier, grow faster, etc. He wouldn't need to spend time traveling to the local market and staying there to sell his crops piece by piece to individual buyers. Nor would he worry about setting the proper price for his crops in order to sell them. By selling his harvest to a wholesaler, the farmer will spend the majority of his time and energy on his farm and that was considered the ideal and most efficient use of his time."

My bodyguard crossed her arms as she slowly took in my lecture. "So you want to be a merchant?" she asked.

I almost rolled my eyes at the question. "Back where I came from people were not limited to one single profession. I was a writer, I tutored kids, and I sold stuff on occasion as well. We engaged in a number of different professions simultaneously. Very few people my age focused on one specific profession unless it was a profession like being a healer. Yes, sometimes there would be a schedule conflict and I won't be able to do certain work. But this was how a lot of people back home make a living and keep a roof over their heads. I am starting this wholesaling business precisely because I need to make money and be able to continue renting a room at The Noble Lady, pay for the lessons at the dojo, and pay for your services as my bodyguard."

Maisen grinned at my last comment. "Well, in terms of making money I should point out two things. First, your magic detection ability is quite rare and valuable. Most mages don't have this innate ability and they have to cast the 'Magic Detection' spell to duplicate your ability; however, that involves mana and a spell component and both are in limited supply. In the long run, hiring you to use your ability would be cheaper unless the mage needs to practice his spellcasting. Second, once you become an official Apprentice in our school you would qualify to apply to work for the Watch. Of course, the Watch will have tests to confirm your martial abilities but if you pass then you can work for them and housing is also provided to members of the Watch," she explained.

Oh! Could I work for the Watch? That sounded like an interesting way to learn more about this town while getting paid, too! "How do I become an Apprentice?" I asked. As I recalled, I was currently at the "Amateur" rank.

Maisen grinned again. "You just officially enrolled in our dojo today and you're already planning to join the Watch?" She chuckled at my ambition and enthusiasm. "Well, to make the Apprentice rank you need to reach level five and also master one sword technique from our school. Each school of swordsmanship has its own techniques and these skills are guarded jealously. Unlike magic spells, you won't be able to buy a book or scroll to learn sword techniques," she noted. “These techniques are passed on from Master to the student, and the Grandmaster will pass on secret techniques to his designated Heir,” she added.

Well, that made a lot of sense. "So a school with better sword techniques would be considered a better school of swordsmanship?" I asked.

Maisen shook her head. "It's not as simple as that. On a fundamental level, most fighters have similar abilities. What differentiates one fighter from another is his experience and wisdom in knowing what techniques to use and when. Our school won the Master Melee Tournament two years ago; our representative, Kalistra, was and still is an outstanding fighter who made the most of our school's sword techniques at the most opportune moments of her duel with the other finalist. In fact, I daresay that, aside from our Grandmaster, Kalistra is the best swordswoman in Tregome right now," Maisen proclaimed.

"Wow," I whistled. Having seen Kalistra's personal stats, I could believe Maisen's claim. No wonder that evil minx had such a high reputation!

"However, Tournament rules forbid the winner of each category from reentering the same category again. Since Kalistra won in the highest category, she is now effectively 'retired' from the tournament. But she does get invited to come back to the Tournament as a judge. If she chooses to accept this year, Kalistra could take her pupils along, too," Maisen added. My bodyguard looked up at the sky. "It's getting dark. Let's continue this conversation at The Noble Lady," she suggested.

I nodded in agreement and we continued walking side by side. I allowed my Navigation Sense to lead me north and soon enough we stood in front of the tavern once more. However, when we walked into the common room, the place was eerily silent even though the room was full of patrons. The source of their uneasiness was soon unveiled: A tall, powerfully built man wearing plate mail armor painted black and carrying a shield with a red cross. The man had jet-black hair and yellow skin; he looked Asian, like Sister Selune from the Lucky Shrine. I looked at the floating caption above the man and it read, "Name: Captain Peng Li, Level: ?, Disposition: Serious." The man's equipment was glowing in much darker shades than I've seen before on the other members of the Watch; this probably meant that the Captain's equipment was endowed with much stronger magic. I received a pop-up and brushed it aside for the moment.

"This man is from the Watch. Please obey him," Maisen quickly whispered as she became tense. From the way the officer's black eyes were trained on me, it was very clear who the Watch was coming for.

Captain Li looked at the caption above my head and confirmed that I was the one he sought. "Greetings, Sir. I am Captain Peng Li of the Watch. I hereby Summon you to appear tomorrow at the Public Square at eight in the morning to serve as a witness in the public trial of Ebenthal," he announced in a loud voice that reached every person in the room. His eyes roamed the room as he looked at the patrons at the tavern. The folks were mostly peasants or tradesmen unworthy of his attention. Suddenly, the stern man recognized someone far above them—and dangerous. The man's eyes met Maisen's for a brief moment and he glowered at her. Just as quickly, his eyes moved on. Once his duty was discharged, the military man marched out of the room. The floor groaned with each powerful stomp from the heavily armored man.

When the officer was gone from the common room, the commoners started whispering to each other.

Maisen stared at the door where the officer had just passed through. She had caught the angry look from the Captain and exhaled a deep breath in exasperation.

I turned to face my bodyguard. "Does this mean that my initiation into the dojo will be delayed?" I asked.

Maisen's thoughts returned to the present as she shook her head. "Actually, it would be safer for you if you are initiated before you attend this trial. Kalistra will undoubtedly get her own summons from the Watch. We'll meet you here at seven tomorrow morning for a quick breakfast then jog back to the dojo for your initiation and then head over to the Public Square, which is located right behind the Watch Headquarters. Sounds good?" she smiled reassuringly.

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow," I replied.

Maisen turned around. As my bodyguard exited the door, she waved her right hand over her shoulder.

10