The Heist
566 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was supposed to be a simple job: in and out.

After several weeks of research, we'd managed to find out that the grocery store was a front for the Gnome Mafia: they would launder money by giving the bills and coins from robberies as change, and they were using the back room for their dirty dealings. And we happened to hear there was a safe in there.

We'd planned it carefully: we would move in at the very end of the day, when the store was almost empty; my partners in crime would make everyone lie on the floor, while I would grab the manager, bring them to the back room, and force them to open the safe. Like I said, simple job: in and out, in a few minutes. The store was on the outskirts of town, too, so we would be long gone by the time the City Battlemages could respond.

What we didn't count on, however, was that an off-duty rookie Battlemage, who was doing her grocery shopping after her shift, would decide to try and be a hero.

I still remember her, leaping to her feet, dual-wielding spells, a shield in one hand and a stunning hex in the other. Nothing I couldn't handle, really.

There was only one slight problem: stunning hexes are notoriously hard to get right, especially if one tries to draw the magic circle with just one hand. And they're remarkably similar to explosion spells.

She flung the spell at me, and I dodged.

And the spell hit the produce sector.

So there I was, riding a bus home, after splitting up from my friends, ditching my soiled clothes, and cleaning myself up as best as I could.

The Gnomes were sure to move their hideout after tonight. Weeks of research and preparation, wasted.

And on top of it all, I really needed a shower.

"Mommy, why does that man smell like bananas?"

"Shh! Don't point, dear, it's not polite."

...I'd had better days.

24