Chapter 23 : Even I can be picky.
1.2k 10 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The fifth district has a completely different atmosphere from the others. At first sight, the buildings and the roads look similar to the marketplace earlier. However, there are a lot less people on the street, and I don't see any children nor human anymore.

“Hey lass, did you get lost?” A bulky beastman tries to grab my shoulder. Despite his intimidating appearance, I can see that he doesn't have any ill intent, as he is moving his hand slowly enough so that even a child won't get hurt.

I step sideways to avoid him, and walk into the crowd. I am already aware that it's not a place a human child should be, and I'm not lost neither.

'I found it.' Inside a building, I see demons of different races marked with the same crest as the harpy. Separated into different rooms, their spiritless appearance is exactly that of the captives.

'A mermaid... and this one is a lizardman? I wonder what is this one...' Seeing members from various races, I want to learn more about them. But they aren't about to move, nor I have time to study them one by one.

'I can do that later. For now, I should find the biggest merchant.'

As I keep walking examining the insides of the surrounding buildings, I manage to find more of them.

“How about this one? This troll was the leader of its pack. It will make a perfect slave for physical labors!” I can hear the shop's owner's voice trying to appeal to his customer.

It seems there is a variety of purposes for them. Well, I have seen other races keeping their captives for different uses, but it's a lot more organized here.

'Slaves...' The captives usually don't last a long time. Because of the harsh treatment they get as disposables, they die pretty quickly unless they manage to escape. However, it doesn't seem to be the case here. I should have expected it from the complexity of the magic crest created in order to make them obey.

'If it is this organized, there should be a head.' And a boss is usually not difficult to find. Those in higher position usually flaunt their power, so it will be most likely in the biggest and the most luxurious building. I keep walking with that in mind.

'Demons... Demi-humans... And even humans.' Among the various slaves I manage to recognize, there is no beastman. I remember them calling Sionna a “demon”, even though beastmen themselves are also classified as demons for the humans. The word is supposed to designate all the races born from the mana of demon god, but it designates different things depending on who is using the word.

'What is the difference, then?' Is it because the beastmen are so close to the humans that this inconsistency exists? But then, are demi-humans not close to the humans enough? I can't find the answer to those questions for now.

The conditions of most slaves are similar to how Mireille was. With bruises all over their bodies, they don't seem to have received proper treatment, even though their lives can be in danger without resistance skills.

Their dead eyes signal that they have lost all hope. Being unable to escape, or put up any resistance, all they can do is endure, to keep on living.

'Would she have become like them as well?'

I remember how she kept apologizing. It could be that she got only recently caught, or she is just slow, but if it kept on going, she would lose her mind soon enough.

It must hurt. The feeling of powerlessness, I know it too well. However, if that is the natural order, then I can't do anything about it.

...

'They are here.'

“Heheh, this is going to be a great catch.”

From where my vision would barely reach, I sense two hostile presences. Keeping enough distance from me so I wouldn't notice, they follow me as I move on. The way other passers-by try to avoid them, I can see that they have some influence in the area.

'This can be interesting.'

If people are so afraid of them, it must mean that they hold some kind of power. Since themselves don't look particularly strong, the power should belong to someone else. With their intentions being pretty clear to me, they should be able to bring me to their boss.

'But do they have what I am looking for?'

There is no harm in verifying it. Although it does look like they do have some sort of privilege, it might not be enough. I'm in an enemy territory after all.

“Hey cutie, do you want some waffles?”

One smiling beastman approaches me, with a waffle on one hand and a cup of milk on the other hand. I notice that I'm a bit hungry after spending mana earlier.

'I see, this is an efficient way to kidnap children.' The way honey is flowing down from the waffle, it is difficult to take my eyes off it. But with the other beastman hiding in a corner with a bag to capture me with, I won't fall for such a trick.

“I'm giving them to you because you are cute.”

He extends his hands towards me with a harmless smile. However, I can tell that his tense muscles are ready to catch me the moment I try to take the food.

'I need you to show me more than that.' Even though I can easily snatch the food and run away, and even run while not spilling a single drop of milk, I shouldn't do that here.

'People are watching.' I can't have so many enemies witness my ability here. Even though it wouldn't be the full extent of it, the little they know, the better it is.

“Oh no, that girl has totally fallen for it.”

“It's no good, look at how her eyes are following the food.”

I can hear the whispers from the people in the crowd, but they have no sign of taking any action.

'There is no way I look like I have fallen for it. I'm pretty good at hiding my intentions!' But then, I realize that the man has been waving the waffle in front of me.

'It's because there is nothing else to focus my vision. It's good if they are mistaken about me.' I nod to myself, since there is no way I would be so captivated by mere food.

Really.

'I need to bring them to somewhere with people who would stop them.' I turn around, and start running away.

“You little... catch her, quick!” I can see his smile disappearing from his face, as the other beastman comes out from his hiding, and they both start running towards me.

'The others are leaving them the way.' I can hear people whispering to each other in the crowd.

“Isn't she adorable?”

“Why, do you wanna try being his prince charming?”

“Stop joking, did you not see those guys emblems? They are Nightmane's underlings. You don't wanna mess with them.” The man gestures moving his index and middle fingers across his neck.

'This direction should be closest way out of the fifth district.' I run into an alley while listening to the surroundings. While using the wind to check the routes , I also make sure they can keep track of me.

“Dang, she is fast!”

“It's more like she is used to the area. How is a rich kid liker her doing that?”

“I have no clue, but what I know is that she will sell at a really high price.”

“That's for sure. Nobles sure do love high standing humans.”

“What was it again, 'they enjoy the feeling of superiority', huh? I don't really get what is in their mind.”

“It doesn't matter. We should get a promotion with this catch.”

They seem to be thinking that I am a rich girl, maybe it's because of this dress I am wearing. It's a good thing since it's a proof that whoever is backing them up is good enough to not care about that.

At the end of the alley, I come out to a broad street. It is a residential area, and I know that a garrison is nearby The residents should easily be able to report them to the armed forces here.

“That sly little girl, she thinks she can escape if she hides in the crowd!” I listen to their conversation as I head towards the plaza.

“Shall we give up? We can't cause a mess here.”

“No way! She is such a great catch, I'm not letting this chance go!”

“But here isn't our territory anymore. We can't catch her in the middle of all these people.”

They don't seem to have given up as they are still trying to follow through the crowd that is not automatically leaving them the way anymore.

“Shut up! It's not like we have a choice anyways. If boss hears that we let go of a pray like that, we are both dead!”

“...”

“It's okay, you should know since you saw her as well. She is definitely worth the trouble. All the trouble we cause will be forgiven, and we might even get rewarded by the duke Metalclaws himself.”

My vision gets covered in black, as a bag large enough to fit my entire body gets put over me from the top of my head.

“Gotcha, you aren't running away anymore, little girl.”

“What are you looking at? Mind your own businesses!” I 'see' the other beastman trying to divert the crowd. Lots of people start looking this way, but they don't do anything.

I see the beastman showing them some kind of badge, and the people look at them with terrified expressions.

“That is Nightmane's...”

“Why are they here?”

“Shall we call the guards? At this rate, the girl is going to be...”

I can hear the crowd murmuring. However, nobody takes any action.

“Don't move little girl, or you might get hurt.” The beastman lifts me, and my whole body falls into the bag. Since it's uncomfortable to be upside down, I wriggle my body to find a better position.

“Stop struggling. We will find you a good master soon.”

'I'm just trying to fix the posture.' There is no reason to struggle, since they will bring me to what I am looking for.

28