Chapter 28 : Demons observation diary.
969 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaving the corpse of the boss slaver behind, I focus my mind on the status bracelet. It's primary function is to display status, but it can also store information.

It is probably not a very valuable item, though, since it was given as a child's birthday present. And that should be why it doesn't attract much attention. Nonetheless, unlike the dagger that I left at Rina's home, its functions are rather convenient as I can use it as a notepad that projects its content directly to my mind.

I check the information I had written last time in Rina's school.

'Beastman kingdom Expergis was founded by a werewolf in order to fight against the vampires.' While different beastman races are living together, the higher ups seems to mainly consist of werewolves. It was the case for that general Magnus, and this boss slaver.

'Beastmen are said to be descendants of both humans and demons. Although those with different animal features seem to have different characteristics, they still have a lot in common. It is most likely that those common features derive from humans, while distinctive features of the animal they are from are added on top of them. This point is to be verified in future studies.'

Since werewolves are the predominant race in this country, it was in my best interest to verify the theory with them, and the boss slaver who brought me in an isolated room was just a perfect subject.

I keep writing down the result of the studies.

'- Senses : Just like humans, a werewolf primarily relies on their vision. However, their sense of smell is also developed, as much as the wolf monsters. The test was done by removing their vision, and varying the amount of sound I was emitting to observe how he located me. While their sense of smell is excellent, their hearing seems to be on the level of a human.'

I don't know if this can be generalized to all the werewolves. He could have been a particular case, or there might be more variance in their race than what I am used to. But that's something I can find out in the future.

'There is an additional method humans tend to use on top of the five senses, which is the mana perception. Although the werewolf wasn't an expert, it was more than any monster at his level could muster. Presumably, methods of improving their mana perception have been passed down.'

I was taught about how to detect the flow of mana from my parents. Although it's not that difficult to learn, it is certainly not something one would find out on its own. It's the reason why monsters that have the ability to perceive mana is rather rare, and only high leveled magical monsters are capable of it.

Just like humans who pass down their special training method for a counter-intuitive skill like this, beastmen who live in an organized society must be doing the same. Since their goal as a country is to gather forces to fight together against the vampires, it is indeed the natural thing to do.

'Summery : Human features are high reliance on vision, poor hearing and use of mana perception. Animal features include excellent sense of smell and improved vision.'

The characteristics they inherited seem to be inconsistent at first sight, but this is enough for now. I will fill in with more data later on, and I can postpone drawing conclusions until then.

'- Weaknesses : Organs whose destruction was confirmed to be fatal were brain and heart. Destruction of neck which effectively separates the brain from the rest of the body was also proved to be fatal.'

I wanted to study more on this, as those are only the most basic weaknesses that incapacitates a human in the shortest amount of time. However, since he started showing some strange behavior, I deemed it dangerous to continue any further. Thinking about it, I should have continued anyways, I don't know why I got anxious all of the sudden. Even though he gave me creeps, it's not like he could have done anything.

'Despite their different structure of ears, the ear hole doesn't lead directly to the brain. Their skull has an average resistance of a human. While their neck is just above average, their chest's defense is the most excellent.'

Because the defense and resistances get improved as their level gets higher, and further improved by special training, so it can't be used as reliable assessment upon facing another beastman. However, it is a good basis to start estimating it, and it should get more accurate as I get more data.

I really wanted to test a lot more than this. There are other places that can slowly kill them, incapacitate them, or simply hinder their movements. Since less fatal places also have less defense, they can be even more important upon facing powerful opponents.

'It can't be helped, I guess.' However, I can't bring the dead back to life, and I should move on. I still have a lot to do after all.


I leave the room filled with weird devices. Walking along the empty corridor, I can sense the presence of beastmen in some of the rooms, although they are much more sparse than upstairs.

There are also humans along with them, mostly women. Screaming, sobbing... they are begging for mercy, wishing for help to come.

'Is that what those devices do?' It appears that their purpose is to cause pain. I realize this as I observe them more closely, and also notice that those beastmen have satisfied expressions.

I don't know what makes them so happy about hurting them. Killing is to gain experience points in order to become stronger. Pain is just a process of it, and it doesn't give you anything by itself. Although I don't understand whee their enjoyment comes from, one thing is certain : they are able to do that because they are the stronger ones.

It is the law of nature that the weak gets killed by the strong. If they are following it without exception, then there is no reason for me to hesitate neither.

Who is there?” A beastman reacts as I enter one of the rooms, where a naked woman is tied in a vertical bed like board. She appears to be unconscious with a lot of bruises on her body.

Without delay, I leap towards him, and pierce his chest. My hand surrounded by a blade of wind easily penetrates his heart, and he falls on the ground.

...” The woman is a human. If she is a relative to the children, it would be better that she escapes with them. I heal her wounds, and leave the room.

There are dozen of rooms on this floor, and there are three more floors upstairs. It's fine to kill them all one by one, but I have a better method, one that I have always used to face a bunch of weak enemies. I will just group them up, or rather, I will make them group themselves up.

I go back to the room where the slaver boss's corpse is located. I take his severed head that was rolling on a corner, and run upstairs.

Holy crap!” There are two beastmen keeping guard at the entrance to the basement.

Who is this bloody girl? Wait, look at her hand! That is sir Nightmane's head!” I turn the severed head so they can get a better look at it.

Catch her, and call everyone! Quickly, it's an emergency!” They take out a device and press a button on it. Along with ringing sound of siren, I sense a majority of the beastmen moving towards the topmost floor, while the rest runs outside. It is fine for them to escape if they want to, as my goal isn't their annihilation.

Sir Nightmane has died! It's an emergency! A little...” I throw Nightmane's head at him before he finishes his sentence since it would be annoying if the information about me spread out.

Gah!” As he tries to avoid the flying head, I leap towards him and cut his neck.

Impossible... Reinforcements! I need to call them!” He presses another button on the device, and the sound of the siren changes. The beastmen who were heading up gradually change their direction towards the ground floor where I am.

At the beastman who turned away to try to flee, I jump towards him and pierce his heart with my hand. A simple strike is the best way to deal with weaklings.

29