Chapter 3 : Village of the Tail Fox tribe.
3.5k 3 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heading towards the exit of the forest, we introduced to each other.

“My name is Rina. As you saw earlier, I'm not a human but a Tail Fox.”

Thankfully, the girl who said her name is Luxe, seems to be okay with the fact that I am not a human.

Luxe is certainly a quite girl only speaking the bare minimum. However, she listens to whatever I say attentively, and doesn't hesitate to talk whenever it is necessary. So talking with her is quite pleasant. It is mostly me who does the talking, though. It is a bit hard to read in her expression, but I can tell that she is also eager, since she keeps asking questions.

“My village is situated about ten minutes away from the forest's entrance. Wait, it should take a bit longer like this. At this pace, I would say about three hours?”

“Monsters? There are not really any strong monster around here nor around the village. Ones living deeper in the forest or in the southern mountain range are stronger, but they don't really come this far. The village has powerful people, so even they came down, they wouldn't be a problem. My mother is the village's chief and is amazing, you know.”

“Other tribes? There are many others, but there are four others that we are allied with. We help each other if it is necessary, and we also have trades going between us. And since we are the strongest tribes in the region, there is practically no enemy.”

“The transformation? About that, you see..”

It's time to impress her with how amazing I am! Puffing my chest, I tell her with confidence.

“It's a really difficult water magic! There are ones with four or five tails that aren't able to transform into a human form. And I can do it with only three tails because I am amazing!”

I half open my right eye and secretly check her reaction.

“Don't you think so?”

“... Water..”

She seems to be a bit down. Why is it?

 

Could it be because she can't use it?

“Do you want to learn magic?”

Nod.

“And you don't have the affinity to water?”

Nod.

I see. I want to cheer her up, but how shall I do it?

“It's okay, Luxe! You don't need to transform into anything, you look the cutest the way you are now!”

Ah, I've said it. Was I too forceful, though?

“... Anyways, does everyone from your tribe use water magic?”

She changed the subject! Even though I tried so hard to cheer her up! Also, her poker face is in the way! One thing I noticed about her is that her facial expressions usually don't change. Her gaze doesn't wonder, and just like how doesn't say much, the change in expression is also minimal, just like a doll. The only exceptions are when food is involved, and when she was scared.. I think.

“Yes, it is true that everyone has the water attribute. But there are also people who can use other magics. Like my mother who also has the fire attribute.”

I only have the water attribute, though.

“Is that so..”

We finally reach outside the forest. The plain is covered with wild grass reaching our knees. It didn't bother me when I was in the fox form, or even in the demi-human form, but it is a bit bothering when I am taking this small and frail form of a human girl.

Even when I am transformed, not all the physical abilities are altered. While the body's specific features will be completely adjusted to the new form, what is reinforced by magic will stay. Since the Tail Foxes are naturally strong not only physically but also magically, I can still use a portion of my physical abilities even in this form.

However, that is not the case for Luxe. Since she is a human, and they have close to no magical reinforcement when they are born. There are those who become powerful from training, but since she is a young girl, that can't be the case. This is the reason why human girls are the weakest creatures.

I look at Luxe restlessly moving her tiny legs to keep moving forward. I would just carry her in my fox form, but I don't wanna scare her again, so I can't do that.

Thinking about what I can do to help her, I notice that I am wearing shoes.

'Wait, is she even wearing shoes?'

She was completely naked when we first met, so she certainly isn't wearing any. I take off my shoes and hand them over to her.

“?”

Looking at her backing away from me, I voice out my intentions.

“Take those. It has to be hard to walk around here, right?”

I would like to just carry you, though.

“I'm okay.”

“No, you are not. What if you get hurt walking around like that?”

As I approach her, she backs away even more.

I try catching up to her, and as the cycle repeats, I found myself running after her.

“Hey, just take the shoes, okay? It has to be hard to run around barefooted!”

It is actually has been quite difficult for me.

“I'm okay, I said. You wear them.”

“I'll definitely make you wear them when I catch up to you!”

I try catching my breath. I have been running after her for a while. I even transformed my feet into the demi-human's form so that I can run faster. I didn't want to show this to her, but since the grass tall enough to cover the view, it should be fine.

However, I couldn't catch up to her at all. Whenever I reduced the distance a little, it grew bigger once again.

“Jeez! Why can't I catch you!”

“That's why I said I'm fine.”

“But you have to wear those shoes! Otherwise it will be difficult for you to move around!”

“Do I look that way to you?”

“Of course! Ah..”

Now that I think about it, she has been running faster than me the whole time even without the shoes. There is no sign of exhaustion nor wound from her. Even though I cheated! Can it be that humans are sturdier than I thought?

It can't be helped that I didn't know about it. She is the first one I have seen in my life, and the few records and rumors about the humans are all that I know about them. If there were misinformation in those, then it is not my fault!

Yep, how I didn't realize that she has been running faster than me this whole time isn't my fault neither.

“Ahem, I'll let you go with that for now. It seems you are really fine after all.”

With that, I put my shoes back on, and we head towards the village once again.

We manage to reach the destination in two hours. I thought it would take longer, but she was capable of walking quite fast without slowing down. Me? I cheated, of course.

“No fences?”

What's wrong? Ah, are you wondering because there is nothing to delimit the village? Well, since we are at the top of the food chain around here, the whole area is ours.

Fences would be used to stop the monsters from intruding, right? Since weak monsters generally stay away from us, and even if one were to enter, they would just become prey to the villagers, there is no need to build something to stop them from coming. On the other hand, those that are strong enough to pose threat will not get hindered by just fences or walls, so there is no point.

Against that, there are some strong members that take turn to be on the guard duty. By the way, those guards should be noticing us soon.

Explaining that to Luxe, I notice a huge shape approaching us from afar, at a frightening speed. Oh, no! Not that idiot, he is going to scare her again!

“Don't look this way!”

Warning her about it, I run towards the approaching shape. As we close the distance I am able to fully grasp his form. It is a gray fox that is 3 meters tall. As we get close enough, I jump in the air and kick him in the face.

It's a flying drop kick.

“Aww, what was that for, Rina!”

“It's because you suddenly started running towards us, stupid!”

“But I have been waiting for you to return!”

“Whatever is fine, so transform into a human, quick!”

“But you know that I can't do that. I can only manage the demi-human transformation for now.”

“It's okay so get rid of that huge body of yours.”

I can't get Luxe to get scared once again. I turn towards her to check how she is doing.

Oh, our eyes met. Even though I told her to not look this way!

The moment I thought that, she looks away.

Wait, are you pretending that you have not been looking?

It's too late though!

I look at the gray fox that now took his demi-human form. With the height reduced to half of what it was before, he looks like a young and normal beastman with glossy gray hair and well balanced body and facial features. Under the normal circumstances, I would say that his transformation is perfect. However..

Those furs and claws on his hands and feet! I compare them to my hand, and yep, they are too different. They are not hands but paws!

On top of that, even his face is covered in fur, and his mouth is pointy. Your eyes, they didn't even change from what it was in your fox form! I guess his ears and tails are okay, but nope! This is not good. She will be scared for sure.

First, I need to hide those claws. I hand him over my shoes.

“Wear this. And then...”

I look at his body. Yep, he is naked. Well, he is covered in fur, so it is perfectly fine, but argh, there are too many things to hide!

“Can you just go away for now?”

“So mean! What's wrong? Do you not want to show me to that girl over there?”

He points the direction where Luxe is still waiting.

“Yes, that is it. I don't want her to get scared of your look. So just go away somewhere else for now.”

“Come on, stop saying that. And I don't think I look that scary, right?

… But if you are worried about that, then what about making me some clothes with your water magic? You should be able to do that, right?”

Oh..

I see.

I guess that would work.

“What a wonderful day to meet such a cute little lady. You can call me Joel. May I have the pleasure of knowing your name?”

Joel who is completely covered in black clothes from head to toe, except from his eyes, extends his hand out while saying something cringy.

“Luxe.”

Seeing her grabbing his hand, I whisper Joel.

“Hey, why are you talking that way?”

“Huh? This is how humans talk to each other. I'm being courteous here, you know?”

Is that so?

*Poke

I don't really know about that, and since Noel is older, he probably knows more about their customs. However..

“It's creepy, so can you stop?”

*Rub Rub

“What do you mean, I'm the one being considerate here to follow the human custom and you tell me that I'm creepy. Don't you think that is rude?”

Even if you say that... That just now seriously gave me goosebumps. To think that humans have that kind of custom... They are really weird.

I wonder if Luxe liked that?

*Pat Pat

“This is all because you neglect your studies. I know you are good at magic, but if you don't follow the other lessons properly, this happens... Hey, that tickles!”

But we don't have any lesson that teaches human customs! When I wanted to retort that, I see what is going on.

Luxe has taken off Joel's glove and is playing with his hand... More precisely, with his paw's pad.

The claws and furs that we tried to hide are completely exposed.

However, Luxe who I thought would be scared seeing them is playing with his paw.

Once she got satisfied with the pad, she pulls Joel's head downward, and removes his hood.

“Ah! Stop doing that!”

When she touches his nose, he quickly pulls away.

“It's wet..”

Of course it is! And nose is sensitive so you shouldn't touch it!

“Hey.. I thought you were afraid of demi-humans?”

“No, I'm not?”

Is that so.. But why did I think that she was?

Oh, it's because she was scared of my fox form when we first met.

I see, since his size is small and the shape is similar, she must be okay with it.

I'm learning new things about humans every day, no, every second.

I'll become a human specialist at this rate.

Joel who tried running away is now grabbed by Luxe and is getting fondled.

“Don't touch there! Please!”

Seeing the two of them, I pull Luxe away.

“I can also take a demi-human's form. See?”

I transform my hand into a paw and extend it to her.

She starts touching the claws, the fur, then the pad...

It seems she likes the pad the most.

“It's softer.”

The tickling sensation combined with the view of her small hands caressing my pad... They are dangerous. I don't know why, but I think I shouldn't indulge in this sensation.

“Hey, I thought you were scared when you saw my fox form the first time. Are you really okay with this?”

Feeling the need to distract myself quickly, I just ask whatever I had in mind.

However, the response to that was unexpected. She who didn't show much reaction so far, visibly flinches. Then she starts responding with a slightly trembling voice.

“I... I'm not scared of your fox form. I think that form of yours was also pretty.”

This girl...

She is obviously pushing herself to say that.

Is it to not make me feel bad about it?

The thought of her being scared about my fox form did hurt me a little back then.

Looking at her still being anxious, I promise to myself.

I won't allow anyone to scare her again!

But how do I achieve that? Oh, I got a good idea to start with.

I bring Joel a bit away from her, and whisper him.

“Hey, go tell the villagers that I'm bringing a guest over and that they should be in their human or demi-human form within her sight.”

“Huh? Everyone? But...”

“It's fine, just go tell the guards then those in the farms and orchards first. Starting from the ones closest from here.”

“It's so much work though...”

How annoying! I kick him in the ass, and since he was in his demi-human form, he flies away.

Oops.

Landing head first to the ground, he runs away shouting.

“I'll remember this!”

Looking at Joel saying something a villain would say, I nod to myself in satisfaction.

Yep this shall do.

We enter the village without any further problem. Our first destination is the orchard, since it is quite obvious when her eyes shine the most. It is when we talk about food.

“Aren't the houses too small?”

The houses we live in are wooden cottages, but they aren't big enough to fit our original bodies in.

“It's because they are only used when we are transformed. Since there are jobs that can only be done in that form, those houses are like workshops. The real residence is underneath, and is big enough to fit our entire body. A den is more comfortable after all.”

It is also difficult to make a house big enough to fit original forms in.

“I see. Is that also why they are so separated?”

Are they? Since it has always been this way, I never thought they were too separated.

“It.. it is, yep.”

“Look, this is our village's pride, the orchard!”

The environment in this orchard is managed by a magic tool that controls the temperature and the humidity. The ground is managed to be at its best condition to grow the fruits at their best conditions. The fruit we grow are also no regular fruits. They are the best of the best that have been improved for generations through selective breeding. It is truly a place that contains the history and pride of our tribe!

Puffing up my chest, I turn around to check Luxe's reaction.

And there was something that I didn't expect.

Luxe was still there, but... what are all you people doing?

“So, you are the human girl that Rina brought, huh?”

“Your skin looks so soft, can I touch it?”

“Her cheeks are so elastic! Human girls are amazing!”

“Stop pushing me, I want to see her too!”

The people working at the orchard have gathered around Luxe and are troubling her.

“Hey, stop doing that! Can't you see that you are troubling her?”

“It's fine. Also, I don't think she is troubled, is she?”

But there is no way she wouldn't be, right? I look at her to check.

She is just standing there with her usual poker face. With her gaze fixed somewhere...

“Oh, do you perhaps want this one?”

One of the demi-humans that noticed the gaze grabs the mandarin orange that she was looking.

She peels its skin off and hands her over a peg of it.

Luxe uses her small hands to put it in her mouth and starts nibbling it.

“How do you like it?”

“Delicious.”

“I want to try it next!”

“No, it's my turn.”

What are you deciding your turn for?

“Hey, I was the one who brought her here, so stop doing that!”

“Come on, let us feed her a bit more!”

Looking at how all kinds of fruits are offered in front of her, I am at a loss for words.

It's not just fruits, but also crops. It seems that people from the farm also came here. There are even things that shouldn't be eaten raw. What are you people doing?

“Luxe, we should get moving.”

She looks at me with the expression clearly saying 'I don't wanna”.

Hey, where did your poker face go? I mean, I'm glad that you became easier to read, but even if you give me that pleading look, it feels like it would be dangerous to stay here.

It would be for her and the villagers, but especially for me. I feel like I'm losing important things. I brought her here, so I should be the one feeding her! And since I am the village's idol, they shouldn't be ignoring me like this!

“You can't eat dinner if you eat too much here.”

“Dinner?”

“Yes, I'll make something delicious so let's leave for now.”

Seeing her nodding, I let out a sigh of relief.

That was dangerous.

72