Chapter 7 : Magic affinities.
2.7k 7 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today's lesson is going to be about the the beastman kingdom Expergis' war against the vampires. It is also an important contemporary issue, so listen carefully.”

Inside the classroom, auntie Lisa is standing at the front to give a lecture, and a dozen of us in demi-human forms are sitting at desks listening to her. Since the lifespan of our tribe is long, the proportion of those who attend classes is small, resulting in this number of students. It's also because the childs who can't transform yet attend to a separate class..

Expergis is a country founded in order to fight the vampires. Their first king Marcellus I was the chief of a small tribe of werewolves that was under constant assaults from the vampires. They used to just endure the raids because of the difficulty to deal with the vampires. However, he ended up losing his wife in one of the raids, and he swore to take revenge on them.”

To be honest, history class is so boring.

She says that it is important to learn about them because their war is still ongoing. But it feels like it's all a story from a far away land.

The village has been peaceful as long as I can remember, and we were also taught that it has been this way for 700 years after the tribal alliance has been formed.

If we need to be concerned about the war spreading to us from a nearby country, shouldn't she teach us about that before telling us we have been in peace for such a long time?

Of course, I also have a reason to think it will stay this way. It's because the reason why nobody attacked us is due to the alliance's strength from the combination of five powerful tribes, and the non-interference policy to the external issues.

Yep, no matter how much I think about it, there is no reason for anyone to attack us.

Resisting the urge to yawn, I look at Luxe sitting next to me. She must also be bored.

She is starting at my history book intently. It seems like her gaze isn't moving. Is she sleeping?

I wave my hand in front of her eyes. She looks towards me. It seems like she wasn't sleeping yet.

What are you reading?”

She looks back at the book, at a completely different place than she was looking at before.

This girl, what could she be doing? Is she even reading? Wait, since she was enslaved in a cave, she shouldn't be able to read, right? Could it be that she wants to read but doesn't know how to start?

Do you want me to teach you the letters?”

She slowly looks back at me and nods. I guess this will make this class a bit less boring.

The way they decided to deal with the vampires was by unifying all the beastmen. The reason why it is difficult to deal with the vampires isn't just their strength, but also their cunning nature of only attacking the unprepared settlements. Since the upkeep cost for keeping up a defense against them is too high, there are always vulnerable villages, and that's where the vampires aim to raid. To counter this, Marcellus decided that an unified beastmen country is necessary.”

I point her the part she is talking about on the book. I already handed her over a list of alphabets and explained her how they work. Since she keeps looking back and forth between them, I think she is trying to recognize some words. The common tongue's letters are phonetic, after all.

Do Vampires eat beastmen?”

It seems like she is also listening to the lesson.

Yes and no. While they suck the blood on them, they don't exactly 'eat' them. Those who get their blood sucked don't die after all, although some consider them same as being dead.”

To her tilting her head, I continue.

It's because those who get their blood sucked get turned into loyal servants of the vampires. It is said that they feel immeasurable pleasure from serving them that they forget everything else.”

...”

Ah, but don't worry. They aren't interested in us who aren't demi-humans. Because of that, there won't be any vampire around here, and you won't be in danger neither.”

It seems that she is still concerned about that. Well, it can't be helped. Vampires are scary creatures that live in the darkness. But rest assured! I don't think they will come here, and even if they did, our village will be here for you. There is also mother, after all!

We head over to a large training ground for the next lesson which is a magic lesson.

I was looking forward to this, since magic is my strong point!

It is my perfect chance to impress her!

Since the level of each student is different, the practice session goes with everyone doing their own assignment given by the teacher, who checks the progress on us individually.

I look at Luxe who is watching Joel practice his transformation magic.

It seems that she is so eager, even though Joel is so sloppy with his transformation.

With this it should be an easy win for me.

Luxe, look at this.”

I create a lump of water and manipulate its shape.

This is the basic of the water magic. With this, you can do lots of different things.”

I transform the lump into a spear, and throw it to the wooden target made for testing offensive magic. As it pierces through, a hole is created in it.

Oh, she is watching!

You can also use it to protect someone.”

I make another lump and shape it into a sphere. I then put it around her. There is air inside, so she can still breath.

This is a water barrier. Despite how it might look, it is really solid, you know?”

I look at her touching the inner surface of the water sphere. Yep, you can be more amazed!

What are you playing around for, instead of practicing?”

Ah, it's mother. It seems that she is supervising today's session.

I was thinking if I could teach her some magic...”

I just wanted to impress her, but saying that would do no good. So let's say that it was for an educational purpose, yep.

Interesting... Teaching her magic, huh? Why don't we try it, then?”

I thought her eyes shone for a second.

Let's check her affinities first, then.”

What we are going to check are the four elemental attributes which are fire, water, wind and earth. There are also other rare attributes, but the reason why we only check those four is because of the difficulties of doing so.

In order to find out if she has an attribute, another person who is able to manipulate the mana of the same attribute has to lead her in a way she can feel the flow of the mana. That's why it is extremely difficult to check the affinity to the rare attribute. It is already unlikely that one has a rare attribute, and to find another person that has the exact same attribute to help her, the chance of it happening is extremely low.

Usually, people have one attribute. I believe it is the same for humans and demons. However, there are rare cases of them having more than two. There are some legendary beings that could control all four attributes, but that is extremely rare.

Wait, I think she mentioned she can't use water magic. Could it be that she already knows her attributes?”

She nods silently.

Is that so? Let us double check to make sure, though. You can tell us after if that goes along with what you knew.”

Saying that, mother grabs Luxe's hand, and starts leading her mana.

It appears that mother looks rather pleased, but it should be just my impression.

Nope, no talent for water and fire.”

After that, those who can use earth and wind magic lead her mana. It's no good for earth neither. However, while checking the wind attribute, a gentle breeze surrounds us.

Interesting, I heard humans with high affinities take after the color of their magic. She might be quite talented.”

So, was that why her hair color is like that? I thought it was beautiful, but to have a reason like that behind it, isn't that amazing?

Well then, why don't you show us some spells you already know?”

Since she knew about her affinities, she might also be able to use some magic. As expected of mother! I'm curious about what she will show us. The other students also gather around to watch.

It is then that she appears.

Sorry for intruding. You were checking her affinities. It's the perfect timing.”

What's up all of the sudden, Lisa?”

I thought when I saw that girl the first time, but she might have the affinity to the light magic.”

Light? Why do you think so?”

It's because her skin is so smooth. Also, even though her hair is untended, it is still silky.”

... Isn't that because she is still so little?”

No, a human's skin will deteriorate even if she is young, under her circumstances...”

Humans that are kept as slaves in a cave, is what she meant to say, I think. The treatment of humans isn't so good, after all.

I see. But do you have a way to check it? We don't have any light magic user here.”

About that, I went to get this item after I saw her. It's a magic item used to check the light attribute. Since it is a rare but a very useful attribute, some tribes have it.”

You had this properly planned, huh? Well, then go ahead.”

Auntie Lisa puts the magic item that is a small black orb in front of Luxe.

Put your hand on this. It should react to your mana if you have the light affinity.”

She seems to think about it for a bit, then puts her hand on the orb. The black orb starts changing its color, and starts shining brightly.

As I thought, a light magic user...

If you don't mind, would you help me with my doctor's job?”

After staring her for a while, Luxe starts nodding slowly.

That's amazing! To think you can use both wind and light magic!”

Is that so.”

Did you know about it all along? Ah, but it must have been hard for you, right? Is that why you escaped?”

Looking at me, she tilts her head. Did I not explain enough?

You see, light magic is valuable because of its healing abilities. On top of that, only those who value life are able to use it, so they are usually unfit combat, and end up being the weak ones. Even though there are exceptions, even those who are able to fight only take the supportive roll. Other attributes are much more powerful in a combat, after all. Adding their kind-heartedness on top of that, they usually get either exploited or protected.”

Luxe looks at me and tilts her head. Did I say too much at once? But I want to know how she has been living!

I'm not kind.”

Jeez, what are you saying? You are definitely kind, and I guarantee it! See, someone who isn't kind wouldn't say that, right?”

Also, you are so cute, there is no way you aren't!

...”

It doesn't seem like she wants to talk about her past. After all, it must not be a good thing to remember. Well, I'd better change the subject if I don't want this conversation to become gloomy.

So, are you going to help auntie Lisa? Can you use any healing magic?”

A little.”

Saying that, she grabs my hand. My heart isn't ready for this!

I feel a warm sensation entering my body from my hands. It then spreads throughout my whole body.

That's amazing! I feel so full of energy now!”

I thought light magic could only heal wounds, but this kind of thing was also possible! Feeling my tension rising, I hug her.

56