Chapter 11 : Let’s go on a picnic.
2.3k 3 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It sure is crowded here today.”

It's a given since a competent healer is rare.”

Did you know that Mark almost yesterday, but then got healed??”

Mark? You mean the six tailed Mark? Did he get hurt in a hunt?”

No, it appears that he got into a fight with beastmen. He was outnumbered and got a serious burn. His state was terrible when he returned to the village.”

Beastmen again? They seem to be causing trouble everywhere nowadays. Just what is wrong with them?”

I am currently grooming the old ladies having an idle gossip.

Rina, a bit more to the right, that's it. You are the best.”

Even though you say that, you actually came to get massaged by Luxe.”

Are you jealous? It can't be helped though, she is a light magic user.”

No, it's not that.”

I look at Luxe still treating the patients. She has been on it for two hours now, but her expressions didn't change the slightest. Ah, she is now coming this way.

Are you done?”

Mhm.”

There are still lots of patients, but I notice that they only have light injuries.

Luxe, can you do the massage you gave me last time?”

What are you saying? She must be tired after all this. Don't mind about this granny and rest a bit.”

Ah, that's true. Come have a tea here.”

Are there cookies?”

It seems like the matter here is settled now. It's now my turn to ask her.

Luxe!”

She turns to me, showing that she is listening. Meeting her gaze, I remember how she was sleeping besides me in the morning.

W...won't you come to the beach with me?”

Beach?”

Yes. It's located past the southern mountain range. There are delicious crabs over there, so we can go hunt them together!”

I notice her eyes fluttering for a second when I say the word crab. Yep, she is interested.

Isn't it dangerous?”

It's okay.”

... Are you sure?”

If it's about crossing the southern mountain range, it should be fine if you move along the valley.”

An old lady responds in my place as I hesitate.

Then, sure.”

Phew, I was worried for a second, because she had the same attitude as yesterday. But with this, I can put my plan into action!

I am now currently running along the valley carrying Luxe on my back in the fox form.

My plan is to go and hunt the Ocean Kakes and eat them with her. It's a perfect plan where all three elements she likes are mixed in altogether. The Ocean Kakes aren't weak monsters, but since they are slow and have no mean of attacking from a distance, I can win easily with my magic. Since she likes asking about monsters, she will certainly enjoy seeing one for real, and I can also show her my magic and impress her with that. To finish it all, they are really delicious, so I would say that it is a master plan that kills three birds with one stone.

Feeling her hand grabbing my fur tightly on my back, I keep running full of expectations.

Ocean Kakes. <-- Ocean Kakes.


After a while, I see a human shaped silhouette blocking the path. No, it differs quite a bit from a human, especially under the waist, with more legs specifically.

Shilky?”

Where are you going, Rina? Is that perhaps the human girl you spoke about last time?”

I worriedly look at Luxe, afraid that an Arachne's appearance might scare her. Seeing that she is indifferent, I turn back to Shilky.

Yes, this is Luxe. What brought you here?”

I was wondering about it, but the dress looks nice on you, little girl. I'm Shilky.”

Thank you.”

Hey, don't ignore me!”

Hmm, I see. You really look like when Rina transformed.”

So, won't you answer to my question?”

I hide Luxe behind my back so Shilky can't talk to her anymore.

I noticed you were going to somewhere, so I came to check.”

She noticed? But her domain should be pretty far up in the mountain.

The whole area around here is my domain, you know? It is only natural that I notice you running around. So, where are you going?”

We are going to the ocean to hunt some Ocean Kakes.”

Ocean Kakes? Are you going to eat it?”

That's right.”

Saying that, I notice my mistake.

Then, I'm coming as well.”

Ever since you gave me those weird sweets last time, I have gotten more interested in your cooking. Since you are going there with the intention of eating the Ocean Kakes, then there is no way I will miss the opportunity.”

It seems that she is determined in coming along. But my plan was to enjoy all sorts of things with just two of us. With her messing around, the mood will be completed ruined!

What if I said you can't?”

After pondering for a bit, she responds.

I'll go to the ocean on my own, then. Since I'm not too sure where the Ocean Kakes are, I will have to look around and might accidentally encounter you. Since it would be such a rare occasion, I will have no choice but to ask her to share me some food as well.”

...”

She is totally keen on coming along. I don't think I have any way of stopping her. After all, she will just follow us and join for the meal. And who knows what she will do if I refuse to give her food?

I let out a sigh as we gain a new company.

After running for a while upon exiting the valley, we reach the shore. The sight of vast ocean and smell of seawater is always so refreshing. Ah, I wonder if Luxe has ever seen the ocean? I suddenly remember how she was casually swimming under the lake the first time we met.

Don't go in the water because it's dangerous, okay?”

Hmph, of course I wouldn't want to do that.”

I wasn't talking to you...”

Rina, why do you avoid going in the water?”

There are monsters in there, and they are dangerous since it is difficult to fight under water.”

But isn't it easier to use water magic there?”

Ah, so she was curious about that.

Luxe, you see, they are two different things. When there are water around you, the water magic becomes indeed easier to use. But it doesn't change the fact that it is difficult for us to move around underwater, so we still have a huge disadvantage in there. There is no reason to have that.”

Is that so...”

Yep, and the Ocean Kakes we came to hunt appear in the beach, so let's go look for them.”

Hey, I think she is totally thinking that you are stupid for not using your water magic to assist in your movement under water.”

Shilky who was listening to the conversation interrupts.

Why is she being so aggressive today? Even though she was a such a good child a year ago!

But there is no way she is thinking that, right?”

I look at Luxe but she diverts her eyes.

Is that the Ocean Kakes? Let's go get it.”

Wait, why are you changing the subject? You didn't think that, right?

Icicle Rain!”

As I cast the magic, huge icicles of about 20cm in diameter and 50cm in length appear on the sky, and fall upon the orange crab-like monster. It has a round and spiky body of about 1.5 meters in diameter, with two small and two large pincers sticking out to the front, and legs to the side.

As the name suggests, Icicle Rain is a magic that summons multiple icicles. Even though one icicle is still powerful, it is not enough to pierce through an Ocean Kakes' defense. Thats is why I can just continuously summon them until it does.

After dozens of icicles fell, the Ocean Kakes' shell finally breaks, and it stops moving. It is a strategy of certain victory where I can just keep throwing icicles until I win. I wonder if Luxe is impressed now? I turn around to see her reaction.

Why are you saying out loud the name of the magic?”

It is for Luxe, she said last time she wanted to see my magic!”

Shilky! Stop asking unnecessary questions!

You still don't have to say the name, though.”

I ignore Shilky giving me dubious looks.

Ah, Luxe! You shouldn't get close to it yet!”

While I took my eyes off her because of Shilky, she already went to the Ocean Kakes and is trying to pull its leg out. I think it died from the Icicle Rain earlier, but there is a chance it is still alive. Since it would be dangerous, I run to her to pull her off.

Jeez, what are you doing? You have to cook it before eating too!”

Luckily, it seems to be dead, but I scold Luxe who is about to eat it raw. Even though she was the one who kept asking me if I did anything dangerous, she acts recklessly herself. I guess she is just that excited?

Just sit there and wait for the chef. I'll prepare it in no time.”

I create a large pot, and start boiling water in it.

'Now that I think of it, human cooking uses lots of seasoning.'

Just boiling the Ocean Kakes is enough to make it delicious, and it is how it's usually done among the Tail Foxes. But after learning about the human cooking recently, I think it could be better with seasonings. While I mostly enjoyed watching Luxe eating so happily, I also have the same taste as humans in my transformed state, so I got to experience various dishes and realized there are so many different ways to cook to give various tastes to the dishes.

'Well, not like I can do much about it now, since I didn't bring anything to season with...'

You have a nice hair, are all humans like this?”

I don't know.”

You should take care of it more, though. I can see it hasn't been brushed or anything.”

...”

It appears that Shilky is playing with Luxe. Since I don't have anything to do until the water boils, I approach them so I can join in.

What are you doing?”

Good timing, Rina. I know you foxes don't need to tend your hair because it is just your transformed state, but she is a human so you should teach her how to take care of it.”

Shilky is brushing her hair with her spider leg. Her movements look so natural, is it because she is used to manipulating her fibers?

How do you know? Isn't it your first time seeing a human?”

Yes, but we also have an upper body of a human as you can see. Unlike you, this body part of mine is real and needs to be taken care of.”

...”

Even though her hair is so silky, it's really a shame. It deserves a better care.”

Ah, about that, I think it's because she is a light magic user.”

Light magic? What about that?”

Healing magics are from the light attribute, remember?”

Healing? Hmm... Is that how is it... So it restores to its best shape...”

She seems to be thinking about something for a while, and continues.

Hey, Luxe. Could it be that you can close your wounds and such with healing magic?”

I somehow have a bad feeling about this.

I can.”

Oh, so can I have a bite of you? I can learn how a human tastes like, and you can just heal yourself back afterword, right?”

As if you can!”

Yep, I was right. She looked like she was scheming something, and of course, she had to come up with that.

I kick Shilky away who is asking such a nonsense with a serious face.

Why did you do that for?”

Do you even need to ask that? Think of what you just said!”

But I couldn't stop thinking about it. After eating your sweets, I came to realize that there are so many things I haven't tasted in the world. For such amazing things to exist! And that's when I remembered your human form. That tender skin, how would it taste like? And now, if she can just heal herself, then there is no harm! It is like eat all you like buffet if you keep repeating the process.”

It's no good. Even violence doesn't solve her messed up state.

You can try, if you want.”

And what is this girl saying?

Listen, you can't allow that to happen! Just let me know whenever this spider tries anything weird, and I will kick her away. And don't tilt your head, why are you acting as if you find it weird to disagree to such a nonsense?”

But Rina, if you are the only one that finds it weird, then wouldn't it make you the one that is weird?”

No that's not how it works! Jeez, let's just go eat Ocean Kakes and you will forget about this. It should be ready by now.”

As the delicious scent of the crab spreads around, I create dishes and distribute the boiled crab.

I have always believed food are best eaten raw, but this is quite exquisite.”

It looks like Shilky is satisfied with it.

How is it? Is it to your liking?”

Mhm, it's delicious.”

But I can't stop thinking that it could be made more delicious if it was cooked differently. What I did here was simply boiling it, after all.

Do you think there should be more seasoning?”

Seasoning?”

She tilts her head, repeating the word.

Yeah, like putting some vegetables and stuffs like salt and sauce to go along with it.”

After thinking for a while, she responds.

Do you have those?”

We have some in the village, but I'm not too sure what goes well with an Ocean Kakes. We usually cook it this way, after all.”

Then it is fine.”

It doesn't seem like she knows more about cooking than me. Now that I think about it, she is no good at cooking, she couldn't even make a simple pancake. Even though she is the human and the glutton here! Well, at least she seems to be happy so that is good...

Give me one more leg, I like that part.”

Ah, you finished that already? That was quick.”

Hmph, you don't eat this kind of thing everyday, so of course I will eat quickly.”

I don't know about that logic, but I now notice that Shilky is also a glutton. When it comes to eating, while Luxe is on her own league as she eats clearly more than what her own body can handle, the raw amount Shilky eats is actually greater because of her size. Including her spider lower body, she is at least 4 times bigger than Luxe in volume.

Hey, where do all the food you eat go?”

We Arachnes are able to convert the nutrition into poison and threads that are stored compressed. That is why we are able to eat a lot when we can.”

Did you convert them already?”

Yep, don't think that our body functions like that of a normal animal.”

Then, how do you explain that?”

I point at Luxe who has amassed a large pile of the crab shells on a side.

Now that you mention it, that is a good question.”

See? I have been wondering about that for a while.”

So what do you think? How are you able to eat so much?”

A direct question! But Since I'm also curious, I also look towards her. Under the curious gaze of the two of us, she puts her hand on her belly. Even though she ate so much, it didn't even inflate. Well, the moment she ate more than her body's volume, I already stopped believing the food went into her stomach normally so it's not a big surprise.

She gulps down some crab meat and checks her belly again. After a while, she responds.

It's because it is delicious.”

You are right, you can eat a lot because it is delicious! I like how you think, little girl.”

No, but are you two really happy with just that? I mean, that obviously isn't the answer we were looking for, right? Or am I the weird one?

Hey, what is that huge thing? Wow, that crab meat is huge and also has a different texture!”

But earlier, I was definitely on the correct side. And now as well...

Pincer.”

They agreeing with each other with that must be because they are both gluttons. Thinking about it, I also look like I eat quite a lot if I am in the human form, but those two make it look like it is nothing.

My spidey sense is telling me that it's the best part of the meal. Can I have it?”

...”

After all, my fox form is almost twice taller than my human one. If you consider the volume, its a lot more than that. Since I have to eat the same amount in both forms, I will obviously look like I eat a lot.

Kuh, I didn't want to do this, but I guess I will have to use force in this case.”

But those two make it pale in comparison. It's not just the amount, but the enthusiasm.

Wait, what have you done? Why are my threads not working? Wait, stop! I want it too!”

Isn't this bad? Just like how birds of the same feather flock together, even though I am not wrong, if they keep agreeing with each other than my position as her best friend will be in danger!

You really leave me no choice. Since it came to this, I will have to eat you and I will have also eaten the pincer. You brought this upon yourself, little girl.”

Did I just hear Shilky say that? When I look at her, she is ready to pounce on Luxe.

I told you to stop doing that!”

I use the flying drop kick on Shilky. It is not a proper table manner, but I have to scold her for this.

However, against my expectations, I get caught mid air.

Huh? I can't move! Are those threads? Release me right now!”

Rina, do you not get it? That girl is not normal. Just now, my threads didn't work against her and I can't even tell why.”

Well, but of course she is not normal. She is amazing after all, since she is capable enough to keep healing people all morning!”

Wait, do you mean that she is capable to treat wounds for such a long time?”

That's right!”

... Is that so, I changed my mind. I will make you into my personal buffet. That will make up more than enough for my pincer.”

Again with that joke! It's not funny so stop acting like a child already!”

Child? It's you who is being stupid even though you are so old. But what can I expect form someone who doesn't even know that humans wear underwear and not just a dress.”

Say what?”

Rina, are you old?”

Huh? No! I'm not old! It's just Shilky that is a baby!”

Don't call me a baby! I am obviously more knowledgeable than you, and also look older than you!”

Well, but you are not even two years old...”

Arachnes grow up fast after all, but I am already an adult. You on the other hand, you are still like a child even though your age is...”

STOOOOP!”

Argh, my ears! Why do you refuse to let your age known? It is a well known fact that Tail Foxes are long lived. There should be no problem with that.”

Well, that's true. But Luxe is still a child, and she might distance herself from me if she learns that I am a lot older than her. I can't have my position as her best friend be threatened any further!

When I turn to look at her, she approaches Shilky who is binding me.

Are you one year old? Hey, won't you also call me big sister?”

Don't mess with me. There is no way I'll call a little girl like you big sister!”

Is that so? But I thought I would give you that if you did.”

She points towards the pot. Following it, I find the second large pincer of Ocean Kakes.

But that's not yours to start with so you can't be giving her that...”

Really? There is one more large pincer! How did I not think about it?”

Wait, I'll get the meat inside for you.”

Completely ignoring me, she skillfully extracts the meat from inside the large pincer.

It's huge! This beautiful texture, its wriggling shape! It's even better than the previous one! How outrageous!”

I got better at it.”

Oh... It has to be because it is the most active part of the crab. This chewy texture combined with the extraordinary taste! Amazing!”

...”

Wow she is able to say all that while eating. I wonder if that is a glutton skill as well?

Hey, Luxe. Did you plan to give this to me all along?”

Eating together makes it more tasty.”

I see, I see. You are so big-hearted. Even though you are a little girl, big sister.”

An Arachne looking like 20 years old lady calls a ten years old little girl a big sister. What a weird sight, when I am just thinking about it, Luxe nods silently.

Shilky's mood changes so quickly. On the other hand, Luxe is so calm all this time. Her expression didn't even change from the beginning, even though it's so hard for me to keep up! No, forget about that, I can't even move!

Hey, Shilky.”

What's up, foxy?”

... Can you release me, please?”

Ah.”

Don't Ah me as if you just realized it!

 

 

 

I'm currently looking for an editor to give me advices and help me with my writing. Please let me know if you are interested!

50