Chapter 16 : Story of a gladiator.
1.9k 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Credits to Phantomheart for editing this chapter!

Being a gladiator in Expergis — some might see it as glorious, some might see it as barbaric. But beneath the honor and criticism they receive under the public eyes, lay the dark reality that every gladiator had to endure.

 

Rick was an orphan; he didn't remember his parents, and the only thing left from them was the name they left for him.

 

Living as a human orphan in the beastmen kingdom Expergis isn't an easy task. Those powerless and naive beings would get caught, judged by their values, and put to “proper use” against their wills.

 

Among those, the ones chosen to become gladiators are considered lucky, even though it doesn't make their lives any easier.

 

It isn't a rare thing, other demon races also undergo the same process if they are powerless, and there are also beastmen who volunteer to become gladiators. While their treatment is a bit better, the hardships they have to endure are essentially the same.

 

Even though Rick was considered to have talents for fighting, he was just a frail boy when he was first sent to the training facility that raises gladiators.

 

Since the human race is weaker than the others by default, harsh days waited for him. And there was one person that saved him.

 

She was like a mother; someone who worried for him, and cheered him up whenever he felt down from all the harsh training.

 

She was like a big sister; someone who helped him whenever he got in a difficult situation, and also when he had worries he couldn't share with anyone else.

 

She was like a teacher; someone who taught him how to fight, and the ways to become a proper gladiator in order to survive.

 

And finally, she was also his first love.

In Expergis, where people value power, the top gladiators who display their first-rate fighting abilities were targets of adoration and envy.

 

This is even more true among the trainees and the low ranked ones, who dream to be like them one day.

 

For that purpose, they train themselves, go out to hunt monsters, and fight each other in matches.

 

Although killing on purpose during a contest is strictly prohibited and subjected to a harsh punishment, there are also special matches designed with a large amount of wagers where one of the two participants has to die before the match ends.

 

Was it a twist of fate, or a play of twisted minds? Rick met his savior in one of those matches.

 

There is one consensus when two gladiators fight each other, and it is to hold nothing back without exception. That was the way they respected each other as colleagues that walk the same path, and also what he had been taught.

 

And as such, he fought. He displayed his abilities to the fullest, and ended up winning the match against her. Holding the corpse of his beloved that showed a disgraceful sight of going against her own teachings, he cried out loud to announce his victory and blow his grief away.

 

That was the way he was taught to live, after all. The fellow gladiators would train and hunt monsters together, but when it came to the death matches, the winner had the responsibility of carrying on and living the share of life that the other had lost.


Rick's greatsword clashed with the axe of his opponent which was a minotaur boasting of his top-notch strength with an intimidating size.

 

Even so, his sword didn't falter. To the display of the human that has reached such a height, the crowd cheered and gave rounds of applause.

 

With each metallic sounds resounding throughout the coliseum, the sparkles of light could be seen in the eyes over everyone. However, when the minotaur walloped down his axe and Rick blocked the blow once again, with a loud clash, his greatsword snapped into two.

 

He had managed to avoid a fatal injury, as he rolled sideways at the last moment, but a wide grin appeared on the minotaur's face.

 

“It looks like the victory is mine this time,” The minotaur sneered.

 

“We will see about that!” Rick laughed, and charged once again with his broken sword.


Rick stood on top of the minotaur's bloodied and immobilized, lying body. He wasn't dead as it was just a normal battle not intended for killing; however, that didn't mean a fierce battle between gladiators would be a safe one.

 

Rick himself wasn't unharmed either; blood stains could be seen everywhere on his tattered clothes, and the injuries below them showed that a good chunk of his own blood had ended up there too.

 

Holding his broken sword up high, he received the loud applauds from the crowds, and his colleagues gave him hails with  looks of envy — it was the usual sight after a top-notch fight.

 

However, Rick's eyes were focused on something else.

 

'That girl, she came to watch again.'

 

Was it because she was a human just like himself? Or because her light green hair stood out even among the beastmen?

 

That could have been the case, but Rick felt it was different. The girl had been staring at him the whole time, without moving a single inch. Her eyes were focused on him as if nothing else mattered, and even now when everyone else in the spectators seats stood up shout out his name with all their might, the girl was still sitting without any movement. Because of that, she wasn't even visible anymore, but Rick was sure that she was still watching the same way she always did.

 

It wasn't unusual for him to receive looks of envy from a ten year old girl. After all, they were at an age where they dreamt a lot, and he also had received lots of confessions from girls of various ages and races.

 

However, he felt like it was different. He couldn't tell exactly since her expression was stagnant, but there was something peculiar about it.

 

Is it because she didn't even stand up while everyone else was cheering for his victory? Rick chases the thoughts out of his head as he returns to the waiting room. He would need to find a healer to cure his wounds. The coliseum had a healer dedicated for them, but the wounds were too heavy for him to handle, and it could only be a temporary measure.

 

'But that girl, she didn't miss a single match from me for the past week.'


“Rick, there is someone who asked for a meeting with you.” A coliseum staff called Rick.

 

“Who is that? I have to find a healer, so tell them to keep it for later.” Rick responds disinterestedly.

 

“The fact is, she says that she can use light magic.” The staff replied hurriedly.

 

There were only few competent healers that Rick knew of in this city, Ascalon, located near the border to the territory of Five Tribe Alliance. Light mages were rare, and since the Five Tribes usually don't come out of their territory, it was a rather peaceful region and the competent healers had moved to other cities.

 

“Is she a healer? What's her name?” Rick was confident hearing the name would be enough to find out who this visitor was. However, the answer was unexpected.

 

“That is... she said her name was Luxe. And also...” Her voice became smaller and smaller.

 

“... She was a little human at around ten years old.” She was barely able to finish her line. After all, it was a nonsense for a top gladiator to accept an audience with a little girl. The thing about her being a light mage must also have been a lie, but it was her job to deliver the message. The girl was wearing a high quality dress made from Arachne's silk, and must have been from a rich family. Hence, if anything went wrong she could get in trouble.

 

“...” Rick fell silent.

 

“As I thought, I'll just tell her that the request has been rejected.” The staff hurriedly turned back as to not anger Rick. Even though he had a good reputation, gladiators are usually short-tempered, and it is best to match their mood.

 

“No, wait.” Rick grabbed her shoulder to stop her, at which she trembled slightly.

 

“I'll go meet her. My injuries aren't that serious, anyways.” Rick continued. He would also have not considered meeting her, but that green haired girl has been bothering his mind. He didn't think she was a light mage, nor the one who has been watching her the whole time, but he thought it wouldn't be bad to refresh himself once in a while.

31