[Chapter 12] – There is Always a Reason
163 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Burn it…? What do you mean burn it?”

“Ah well, of course, I don’t mean to literally burn it. Or at least, I won’t. All I’ll be doing is making it a little easier for them. The actual responsibility of carrying the weight of the world would still be falling on the [Catalyst]’s shoulders.”

“And you’re just going to force a person to carry that weight? Are you sure this is really necessary?”

“Kyrias isn’t going to change itself, Steve, someone has to change it. Someone has to play the role of the [antagonist] who will throw the world into chaos with righteous anger and it can’t be me—or you.”

Master points at me with the piece of white chalk in his hand.

...But is this, is this really the only way? The Scry’s existence is a problem but if solving it required the sacrifice of the word of Kyrias as is… would it even be worth it?

Unaware, or more likely doesn’t care much for the questions that flood my mind, Master launches straight into the details of his scheme with an energy that makes me even more speechless.

“Luckily~! it just so happened that we already have the perfect candidate for our actual Catalyst.”

He swipes his book in front of the blackboard and it starts flashing detailed information about various people along with their portraits. Eventually showing the personal data of some handsome brown-haired guy I don’t recognize.

“Introducing, 19 years old mister Robert Neratian before his 10 years of patrolling the streets of the capital city.”

—The bearded uncle in front of the Colosseum? Wait, hold one, he’s 29? How? More importantly, he’s not even a Scry, why is Master choosing him to be the Catalyst?

“While choosing a Scry to be a Catalyst directly would be more appropriate, aside from some exceptions most Scry are ultimately too weak to stand up for themselves making them very useless in the long term. So they need a leader.

"Someone magically capable, knowledgeable, and also sympathizes with their kind. Someone with a horribly broken pride and a dangerous sense of justice—ready to be let loose upon this unjust world with only a little, push.”

“...”

He makes it sound so… simple. Like the whole reasoning for this guy’s life to be changed is just a straightforward calculation of pros and cons. I have to admit that does make me a little irritated.

“I’m going to call this first stage of Kyrias’ change, <Act 1: A World Revolts>... Sounds fitting, doesn’t it?”

Master turns to me while tilting his head and smiling innocently.

I neither agree nor disagree. He laughs ambiguously at that lackluster response of mine and spins around back to the blackboard.

For a long time, Master stares at it without saying a thing. Eventually, the eerie emptiness of silence slowly forms as an—almost an aura of isolation around him.

I get a sense that he’s so focused that no words I say will reach him now. Everything has been filtered out of his mind. And while he might continue to talk out loud, it’s clear he wouldn’t be talking to me.

With his undivided attention on the blackboard, Master opens his book and continues to write.

“Now then, let us begin our story with—the disappearance of Viviana von Elysia.”

—————……….

The 20th day of the 5th month of the year 1500 ED.

On the day of the 150th [Tournament of the Niles] at the capital city’s Colosseum. A young princess who ran away from her castle—her past—and a man who is chained to the present by his ideal. These two people’s fates are about to intertwine.

—And by that I mean I have to make it happen.

Because they already are in the vicinity of each other it shouldn’t be too hard to get them to meet on this day. One wrong turn at the right time and bam! They slam into each other as they’re walking around a corner.  

—Three things need to happen at this moment.

First, Viviana’s hood has to fall off to reveal her features to Robert. If the angle and speed of their collision are correct then this should happen perfectly.

Second, Robert must recognize the signifying feature of the Elysian royalty and immediately discern Vivana’s true identity. Again, this will be likely to happen. Her red eyes are obvious giveaways but the platinum hair she inherited from her mother is equally as telling.

Third, in order for Robert to establish a basic level of trust in Viviana, he has to help her out. Conveniently, Tomyor should also be coming right around the corner. Robert should tell him that he knows Viviana (which wouldn’t even be a lie). Tomyor would believe him and leave them alone. Robert can then decide to force the princess to stay and answer some questions, which Viviana has no choice but to comply with.

—Some details can be worked out later but that should be good enough for our initial encounter.

The following exchange should derive naturally from the two of them. Vivana asks how he knows who she is, he confesses his name and tells her that he recognizes her semblance to Ense and the late Empress due to his past as a High Order paladin.

A position that her father stripped away from him.

Why? She would definitely ask, and he would tell her why. He would tell her everything. About his attempt to save a Scry, about the consequences he had suffered in the last 10 years.

So here we have, our first push for Mister Robert Neratian.

As they continue their conversation he realizes that Viviana von Elysia II, the daughter of Ense, the strongest Godemperor who had arbitrarily condemned the Farseer’s descendants for the last 1500 years...

—Doesn’t actually know about the Scry, almost at all.

How would he feel about that? The last 10 years of his life are pretty much lost and the family members of the being responsible don't even know what they are guilty of? A conflicting mixture of emotions, definitely. However, I need him to focus on just one.

—Irritation.

Irritation at the young princess' ignorance, at the Elysian empire’s ignorance, at the whole world’s ignorance of the cruelty the Scry has suffered. The irritation violently boils inside him as if about to explode.

But not yet…

He keeps it in. Bottling it in. Suppressing it just as he has always done for the last 10 years.

Viviana notices this too, of course. She’s the sensitive type. That’s one of the reasons why she doesn’t get along with her father.

—Ah! I can use that lack of parental connection as a jumping point for their relationship, can’t I? That could smooth out the sudden spike in her favor toward him.

Well, no matter what Viviana would get curious and ask Robert about the Scry, and that would lead them to visit the slum when the sun begins to set.

A place with a haunting reminder of Robert’s past. And a perfect reason for Viviana to question her father’s and the empire of Elysian’s moral stance.

There are all sorts of places these two can go to witness the terrible lives of the slum people, they can even encounter some thieves while they’re there—which would be a good opportunity for them to improve their relationship. Though, any thieves worth the capital’s slum would definitely notice Robert’s strength and wouldn’t try anything on him.

—There should be a way to make this happen regardless. Let’s put this on hold and focus on the second push for now.

This moment comes after they’re done with their stroll and the sun has set. The city’s festival is in full chorus. Viviana’s first time experiencing the city’s liveliness is dampened completely by the truth she has realized about her father. That he was more of a monster than she ever knew.

Then, while Robert is secretly enjoying the look of unease on the Godemperor’s daughter’s face. A loud shout is heard, followed by a small shadow rushing past the two of them into a dark alley.

Robert follows the figure and Viviana follows him. Inside the alley they find a Scry boy hustling against a barrel and shivering from the cold.

—Turns out I wasn’t lying after all about his death being one of the starting points for something important, huh?

They watch the nameless boy die. It isn’t the first time they have seen a life‘s end. For Viviana, it was her mother. And for Robert, it was the Scry he tried to save. The Scry he failed to save. As the freezing Scry boy breathes his last breath. Robert should be able to realize that.

—Nothing's changed. Whether it’s then or now, you’re still unable to save even one life.

Aaaaaaaaand...

Snap!

Like a broken dam, all of Robert Neratian’s emotions flood out. His guilt, his pain, his regret, his rage. Everything he has collected and bottled up in him for 10 years reaches its limit.

He turns to Viviana and instantly finds her look of compassion disgusting.

—As if she has the right to feel pity. She’s a blood descendent of the being directly responsible for the Scry’s misery.

And with that disgust. He forces her to come with him and see the true face of the horrible curse her father has put on the Scry.

To the Farseer’s catacomb.

The air of the deserted cavern is, as usual, stagnant mixed with vivid scents of dried blood and death. The jagged tunnel emerges to the quarry where the Scry is mining.

—Here’s what has to happen.

First, at the moment the two walk in, Viviana would definitely try to run, but Robert would grab her before she could and drag her down to the pit with him.

Second, she sees the corpses and is absolutely horrified by them. This would attract the Scry's attention enough that they are able to discern Viviana’s identity.

Third, they become enraged and eventually start to deliriously throw pickaxes and rocks at the girl along with insults and questions. She should be able to last 30 seconds before breaking down and crying out.

—Which is exactly what I need to happen.

A desperate cry from a girl who has [god]’s blood running through her veins. Inside a hollowed-out cavern. Right next to the stone pillar supporting the whole thing from collapsing in on itself.

The ceiling of the catacomb begins to shake and rumble. Viviana faints and the cavern begins to collapse. Robert would take her out of the catacomb with him. As for the Scry, there should be some casualties but not too big to make any difference.

—And when Robert takes Viviana's body out of the Farseer’s catacomb and the path collapses behind him. The setup is finished. The damage is done.

Their blood is on her hands now. And when they find out he brought her here, there’s no way the Imperial Court would let him live for the second time.

For in all of Kyrias, no one could escape the shadow of the [strongest]. Robert, the Scry, they have all horribly violated Ense’s will. There’s only one way this could end for them.

As despair seeps into their hearts. This is a perfect moment for Robert to receive one last push.

On the verge of giving up. At the cusp of defeat. Hanging barely on the cliff edge of life and death. He hears a whisper, a voice from deep inside, telling him.

—There’s no going back now, you know? The empire won’t welcome you anymore. Your place in this world is gone. So does your reputation, your power. You’re no different from a Scry now. And [justice] isn’t worth anything to a dead man.

—It’s not your fault. There is a reason why the world is the way it is. No one chose to be born, some can’t even choose how to live.

—But not you, not anymore.

—There’s a reason for everything but that doesn’t mean you should just accept it. If you don’t like the reason then fight. Burn it if you must. It’s as simple as that.

—Right now your destiny is firmly in your hands. Do you wish to walk the path of submission and die? Or rise up and maybe live to one day realize your ideal?

—Choose.

—You had enough of this world’s unfairness, right? Sick of living under the shadow of your past ideal already, right? So fight back.

—If the world throws you into the deep end, then go deeper. Outsmart it. Out-think it. And defeat it. Take this accident and turn it into an opportunity. Take your weakness and turn it into your strength. Your fate, hers, this entire foolish tragedy of the Scry and this unjust world. Turn everything on its head.

—There’s a way to win. A way to right all the wrongs, to free everyone, to change everything. You must have noticed it too. Now you just have to find it.

Robert looks at the passed-out Vivana in his arms, then at the group of Scries behind him. They all can barely stand, but a strong will to live still burns in their glass-like eyes.

—You don’t even have to do it alone.

He offers them a choice. Run away with him or stay. Life or death. Hope or despair.

They all choose to hope.

And just like that.

The world begins to turn.

<Act 2: The Shadow King.>

—Now that the difficult part is done the rest kind of just writes itself.

The collapse of the Farseer’s catacomb would obviously affect Elysian’s Capital City. While the actual collapse itself would only damage the city’s buildings. The temporary inability to access their largest source of gemstones and magical ores would damage their trading.

But none of that is as important as the real implications of the collapse.

Which is that someone is stupid enough to dare make such a mess in the Elysian’s capital and—even more brazenly—kidnapped the youngest daughter of the one who holds the concept of [the strongest].

Ense’s relationship with Viviana the second is strained ever since the parting of the first Viviana, to say the least.

However, while Viviana absolutely hates her father, that hate isn’t mutual. He loves her. And someone just took her from him right under his nose.

—So I expect him to be at least slightly angry.

But after taking his anger into account a countermeasure can be created, even if it would not be easily done without me tipping the scale of probability in the Scry’s favor

You see, the Scry are naturally stealthy because the people of Kyrias usually don’t notice them at all for their inability to use magic. To most of them, the Scry are like ants. But with proper directions given these ants can be turned into quite efficient spies and infiltrators.

So the plan is for Robert to send small groups of Scry all over the 6 Empires and race to spread false information and rumors on the streets about the existence of a secret organization, leading the mass to think that the collapse was actually an attack perpetrated by a group with unknowable power.

All the while establishing secret connections with the local groups of Scry in each region.

Even if the higher-ups at Elysian don’t buy the story outright they’re going to have to spend time investigating it first before coming to a conclusion. And by utilizing that time, Robert can bring Viviana with him and safely flee the empire’s territory.

But where?

Let’s go through the list.

To the west is Carinaru. Should be the safest option considering that those people don’t give a damn about the ongoings of the other empires. But they’re also the most dangerous because their magic allows them to communicate instantaneously across great distances. So if one person notices and gives away Viviana’s location to Elysian. It’s game over.

I also have another plan for them that would make that area very unsuitable. So let’s move on to our next option which is...

Desmundheim…

—Nope, just nope.

To the east is the Umara Empire. They’re technically the second-best option from a short-term perspective but their strong traditionalist culture makes them significantly warier of foreigners. Robert’s goal is to not attract attention.

They also have enough politics going on within the Empire’s Houses of the Four Elements. And we’re not going to mess with that right now.

Hmmm…

So the only real option here is southward to Maziono. At the edge of the great forest of Majora, there should be an excellent strategic place to build a secret base of operation as long as we could avoid the territory of the local Saint Beasts Tribes. And as for food and shelter, the Scry should be able to take care of that pretty easily.

There’s one more problem, though, and that is the existence of Ainecarius.

They are a large-scale organization whose sole purpose is to be the observer for any signs of a being like the Farseer, one who could pose a threat to the 6 Empires’ harmony. And while they’re not allied with Elysian, in particular, the kidnapping of Viviana has very much brought this matter to their attention.

But just like how it would be difficult to notice anything that’s right under your nose, by exploiting their paranoia of a larger than life threat I can avert their attention from the pitiful and harmless Scry—at least for long enough.

Now, calculating the time it would take for them to travel to Maziono with limited resources. Factor in the additional time required to establish the Scry’s networks in all the 6 Empires, train personnel and agents, convince each separate group and other potential sympathizers and unite them under one cause all the while constantly throwing off the investigative forces of Ainecarius with misinformation and false rumors… How long would that take?

—5 months, 5 months is all I need to establish this organization. Because while convincing the entire population to have sympathy for the Scry is impossible, a few [pieces] can be converted.

Including but not limited to, The Saint Beasts Tribes.

Their incentives for joining would be [independent] from the rule of Maziono. The reason why they would want that? You see, things work a little differently in the Empire in the south, mainly due to their problematic method of succession

Because Nir Virgante, their Godemperor, doesn’t really exist. But rather an ancestral spirit that can be summoned by the inheritors of his bloodline. So basically, if you can call forth the phantom of Nir Virgante, you would inherit his power and become the new Godemperor. Already, you can see where a problem could arrive.

For example; what if the new Nir Virgante turns out to be a spoiled, impulsive, immature brat who has absolutely no idea how to rule?

—Of course, he’s not that bad originally, but I bet I can make him go mad if I have 5 months to make him question everything about his life. 

And if we can get the Saint Beast Tribes on our side, we won’t have to worry about Ainecarius anymore. Because they wouldn’t dare to cross the Ancient One’s territory—so it’s definitely worth it.

But, the most important piece to be converted is none other than Radine Nefhal, [the Dreamless] Godempress of Carinaru herself. Contrary to what you might think, she’s actually the closest being to the Kyrias’ Edinera, not Ense.

Specifically, because the Edinera is an Astral-based life form and she is a [Dreamwalker], a being with the inherent ability to traverse the Astral Plane.

The Astral Plane is like a linked-consciousness mainframe for all sentient things. It’s vast and near-infinite; mostly because 95% of it doesn’t even really exist and the other 5% are hidden behind the gates inside the Folded Corridor.

There's one of these gates for each living being. It contains their consciousness, memory, and senses—tapping into this part of the Astral Plane allows things like mind reading. And if you’re powerful enough you can even bring something back into the Material Plane, of course, not without an appropriate price.

Those gates, however, can also be used as a key to convincing Radine Nefhal to join our cause. Imagine, what would happen if she accidentally walks into one that belongs to a Scry? Not only witnessing their suffering but also becoming a part of it?

—It’s highly likely that she would be so affected by it that would come all the way from Carinaru to negotiate with Robert. And that is when the next phase of our plan can be realized.

We're going to help some Scry escape and expand our numbers. But because we're weak, we can't use the means of force, for the moment the world becomes aware of our power it'll be over. So in order to free the Scry, we need to do it under a circumstance that couldn't be traced back to us.

But thanks to the collapse of the Farseer's Catacomb. We already have a way.

So, sometimes under the guise of wild beasts attacks, others, a grand accident which leaves no survivors. Slowly, little by little, one small Scry's settlement at a time, using the shadow of death to fool the world of their fates and free them. And lead them to join us in the south without anyone noticing.

In no more than a year, we found a safe haven for the escaped Scry. Formed a powerfully united group to protect and hide them with the guidance and leadership of a former High Order paladin who would go to any length to act out his version of [good]. Even receiving support from one of the 6 existing Godemperors.

So shouldn't this be enough already?

—Not a chance.

—For every Scry saved, there are a hundred more out there still suffering. So of course, it’s not enough. Their lives are worth much more than that. This world has to pay more for the [balance] to be restored.

—And I have a plan ready to do exactly just that.

Kyrias is such a peaceful world. But do you know why it’s peaceful?

It’s because they exist.

Amal-Furi-Khanse. Nir Virgante. Kuramiya. Radine Nefhal. Galilefran. Ense.

Leaders... Emperors... Gods.

Absolute and infallible beings who are chosen by the world to be the wielders of incredible powers, and to be the keepers of the world’s balance. The 6 of them are the undefiable forces of [good].

—Or at least that’s what people believe. The truth, however, is much, much simpler than that.

Kyrias is an Edinera, the [Edineras] are a Rank-3 Astral-based species. And just like most other Astral-based species, it was also born from the collective consciousness of sentient life. In this case, the lives that inhabit the planet of Kyrias.

It’s an accumulation of conceptual existences, ideas, thoughts, and emotions. And as it absorbs more and more advanced concepts, it eventually comes to understand that it needs those things to keep evolving, to keep surviving.

So in order to be able to keep feeding off of the life forms that are on it. From the connection that it shares with everything—in the case of Kyrias, this connection is a form of Mana—it can help those life forms thrive and grow by utilizing...

—[The Quantum Computing mNemonics], or simply, [The Language of Reality].

Most beings of this nature are born with the natural understanding of these [mnemonics], and by using the Mana connection, it can [translate] the spoken languages of the people of this world into that of the mnemonics, giving their chants and prayers actual reality bending property. Legitimizing faith and beliefs as a resource to ascend into Godhood.

In summary, the phenomenons that are commonly perceived as [magic] are almost always the mutually beneficial side effect of the symbiotic relationship between an Edinera of some types and sentient life.

Under this context, what Ense did to the Scry 1500 years ago, basically severing the connection of their kinds to the Edinera and resulting in 500 million lives banned from connection to Kyrias’ main network.

But here’s the thing, though, when you take into consideration that the Edinera feeds off thoughts and ideas, and the more people there are that it can feed off the more it can evolve—it recontextualizes everything about the Scry's existence.

There are approximately 2 billion lives on Kyrias, a quarter, which is 500 million of that, are Scry.

And, would you look at that, like a perfectly pieced together jigsaw puzzle, the solution finally reveals itself~! So then, the questions become!

—What would happen if 500 million Scry are reconnected to Kyrias’ Edinera?

—The sudden spike in populations would force Kyrias to undergo an evolution to become more capable of understanding the mnemonics, increasing the potential output of mana and the power level of all lives across Kyrias.

There’s a catch, however, which is that we can’t lift the curse on the Scry as long as Ense exists and to undermine Ense’s Edictum entirely we need the curse to be lifted first. Robert might need a little help with this dilemma.

—So how about we just take him out of the picture entirely?

—Victory is within reach, after all, if the winner gets to write history, what does it matter if you use any means possible?

—You have it right, the connecting piece? The heart that could be used against him, to get rid of him. You only need to use that.

—For the sake of the greater good. It’ll be worth it.

The resolve is made.

And with that.

The final act is ready.

<Act 3: Gods Dusk.>

—Here’s the plan.

It’s a very simple plan to execute. But anyway, let’s go through the setup.

First, we need to get Radine Nefhal to give up her entire Empire of Carinaru. Which shouldn’t be too difficult since this Radine Nefhal isn’t the same Radine Nefhal that she was before. In her mind, she’s a Scry now. And for the Scry, she will do anything. She just needs the right push to get going, which I would happily provide her with.

Second, we need a bait, a lure, something which Ense holds precious to his heart, something we also conveniently have locked up in our basement. So that one is easy.

Third, a seed of distrust. We have to make it so that Ense would have to personally act, which means that we need to break off every tie Elysian has to the empire like Umara and Maziono. But this isn’t all that important of a step so maybe it’s not really necessary.

Now then—let’s finish this.

On the 20th day of the 5th month of the year 1501 ED. Exactly, one year after the disappearance of Viviana von Elysia.

Carinaru declares war on all of Kyrias.

Their purpose is unknown to the mass, but their magic allows them to make this declaration of war unmissable by anyone in the world. Especially by the people of Elysian and their Godemperor.

Because Carinaru would also confess that they had kidnapped Viviana this day one year ago, and have been torturing her ever since for the preparation of today.

How do you think he would react? Rage? Then you’re right. Because at the instant he hears those words no reason or logic would be forming in Ense’s mind, nothing, but the desire to kill.

We have three days before he arrives to receive his daughter, best-case scenario, that is. At worst it’s one day. Worse than that? Probably a few minutes.

But it doesn’t really matter how long it would take for him to get there because our trap would be waiting for him regardless. And when he realizes that, there would be nothing he could do but forfeit.

—Because Viviana is already dead.

What is left of her in the Material Plane is but a shell, her consciousness has been pulled into the Astral Plane by Radine. Sentenced to wander forever in the lost realm in her metaphysical form.

And to go after her Ense would need to open a rift. A permanent rift that acts as a tear between the planes, one that requires Radine to give up her life to open.

Ense would choose to kill Radine without a question. He is ruthless like that. Then he will disappear into the depths of the Astral rift, before it closes, just for a split second—but a split second is enough.

A split second that is bought with the lives of the innocents.

…..

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha~!

—[Checkmate]—!!

—Thank you, Viviana, for being such a wonderfully useful Pawn! And sayonara, Ense~! The world is changing and it no longer needs you!

Because in that split second Ense is no longer connected to Kyrias’ Edinera, his Edictums are nullified, and the curse of the Scry is lifted.

Like a violent stomp on the surface of a calm puddle, on and on, every corner of the entire continent would definitely experience the ripples of this action. They may not know what has happened, but they can certainly feel its effects!

Every Scry, women, men, young or old. They are all connected to the Edinera again, they belong in this world again! And returning to them is the ability to hope, to believe, to have faith—and who would all those exponential amounts of faith and beliefs automatically go to?

—Exactly!

For the first time in 1501 years, a new [God] is born!

Robert Neratian, [The Shadow King]—!

In her last breath, Radine would announce to the world the dusk of the old gods and the dawn of the new age.

Suddenly, the 6 Godemperors are no longer [absolute]. Suddenly, anyone and anything could have the power to become [gods] themselves! And suddenly, the belief that binds everything together disappears, chaos is let loose and the world is turned upside down!

What do you think would win in the end? Love? Unity? Peace? Or the drunkenness of avarice and power to each their own. If living has ever taught anyone anything is that if the opportunity to power ever presents itself, so will the true nature of the hearts.

And the hearts are fickle. The hearts are greedy. And the hearts are forever cursed with insatiable [desires].

—What do you all desire!? Love?! Power?! Fortune?! Freedom?! THEN GO ON AND TAKE IT! Forge your path to glory with your own blood!

—Does it matter if you have to step over the corpses of the innocents to get there when everything you want is on the other side?!

—You have that power now! Every single one of you! There’s nothing that can stop you anymore! You’re not bound by anything anymore! Not by gods! Not by men!

—YOU ARE ALL FREE!

Let’s continue burning down the false unity of the 6 Empires, piece by piece.

In the southern Empire of Maziono. Remember the tribes of the Saint Beasts and the mad Nir Virgante. Now that little subplot is going to reach its climax with the beginning of an all-out civil war. In this war, the [Phoenix God of the Red Sun] would ascend to rival Nir Virgante in combat. Escalating the battle to burn down the entire Great Forest of Majora.

…..

In the east, the Umara’s Houses of the Four Elements would begin to act. Each of them has their own ambitions of how Umara should progress but because of Kuramiya's absolute authority, they couldn’t even speak up. That’s no longer the case, is it? So—! Gods and Goddesses of the Four Elements here they come! And so will the great social reformation of Umara. Which is not really that interesting, admittedly.

…..

Desmundheim’s school of Necromantic Black and White. Their methods are polar opposites, but both of these groups pursue one thing and one thing only. [Immortality]. And with the alluring prize of eternal life that became possible through ascension. Who knows, maybe Kyrias would have its first [Death God]?

…..

Ainecarius, hahaha, what would these pathetic losers do? The entire world of Kyrias is in chaos and their only job was to foresee this before it happened. And they absolutely failed! They failed miserably! Disgracefully! And just like that, the empire falls apart. Galilefran wouldn’t have enough believers to hold the concept of [the unbound] anymore and would leave to live a quiet life away from war and espionage. He always wanted to do that, so maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

—Oh, Robert and the Scry can probably go and take over the city of Ainecarius and recruit a few left-behind caretakers. I mean, the forest did burn down and they need a new hideout. So why not a teleporting city?

…..

Elysian. The helpless little bunch of clueless sheep. Without their Godemperors being the anchor of everything. The crown prince would come into power, but because he’s young and inexperienced most of the responsibility would fall onto the shoulder of Tzunshe. The silver-masked adjudicator—who always has an ulterior motive of ascending into Godhood himself and taking over the world to try to save it.

—Good luck with that.

…..

So in summary, or should I say the [epilogue].

The whole of Kyrias is engulfed in the flame of wars perpetuated by the lust for power. And the scale of conflicts would be ever-increasing with more and more appearances of newly ascended gods and deities.

They would also be more powerful than ever due to the existence of the Astral rift allowing those who are powerful enough to access their own gates, bringing it to reality, and stacking personalized sub-dimensions on top of Kyrias.

Of course, they would also have the threat of Dreamborns to look forward to. But it’s probably worth the enormously sped-up development of magic and technology that comes with the state of conflict.

And amidst all of that, the Scry will be safe, patiently waiting out the war under the shadow of their king, secretly manipulating everything in their favor.

Unseen, untouched—unstoppable.

In conclusion, in the estimated time of no less than 2 years, we’ll have…

—————……….

“[The Splintered Empires of Kyrias].”

When Master…

Finishes writing the last sentence and set the last period, the three blackboards have completely transformed into walls of scrawling texts so dense that some of it even spilled out to float in the air like some sort of hologram along with pictures, portraits, maps, and various people’s detailed data.  

All of it would at least have a semblance of readability perhaps if not for the crisscrossing lines connecting each piece of information. Making everything looks as overwhelming as it is terrifying that all of it was devised on the spot by one person.

And right now, that person steps back, observing the chaotic scheme he has laid out one more time before snapping his book shut and turning to ask me, almost proudly.

“Now that’s a much more interesting setting, don’t you think?”

"..."

…..

I… don’t even know what kind of face I should be making. Or what kind of thing I should say in response. I half believe the things I’ve heard. And frankly, at some point, everything just became too surreal for me to properly follow and comprehend.

I mean, there’s no way that he could really… pull this ridiculous plot off, right?

But why do I still feel this sense of unease?

Something about his demeanor up to this point tells me; not only that he is able to absolutely do it—but that he also certainly would?

The question of whether or not those exact sequences of events could happen as he planned is illogical to even consider. There are simply too many variables that couldn’t be taken into account. Too many things that could go wrong. There’s no way a human would be able to achieve the act of completely deducing the future to the smallest details. Let alone manipulate it to that extent.

—But if you’re a human who knows [everything]...

If you have access to the largest database in all of existence and are assisted by the analytical ability of perhaps the most experienced mind to have ever been developed. The near-impossible task of taking into account every possible instance of unexpected coincidences to the sub-atomic level and transforming them into exploitable points of advantage.

—Would it still be all that impossible?

I look closely at the blackboard, somewhere among the collections of mismatched bits of unrelated information forcefully tied together by a complicated string of conspiracy; are names, [crossed out] names of people of all ages, races, and genders.

Does this imply that all of them—men, and women, and adults, children, everyone... Without any discrimination. IF, if there’s the slightest possibility, that he’s able to make this happen. Even just a small chance…

Then these people.

Would actually—

…..

“You can’t—”

The words come out of my mouth before I know it.

“I can’t what?”

Master tilts his head, seriously acting like he has no idea what kind of cruel atrocities he’s laid out before me.

“You can’t do this. This is—this is just wrong!”

“Wrong? I thought you would be saying ‘I’m fine with this’ and all that. I mean you were fine with it all this time.”

“I was fine with it because up to this point I thought that the change was going to be positive! But this plan of yours could result in the lives of-of COUNTLESS!”

“Wars would happen, not a one-sided slaughter. Everyone would have the ability to fight for themselves so the estimated deaths are just 50 million, a lot less when you compare it to the Farseer’s invasion or the number of Scry’s deaths in the next few centuries.”

“It’s still not a choice for you to make.”

“Then whose?”

“That—”

The casualness with which that question is thrown at me actually catches me off-guard.

The whole universe is stuck in an eternal loop and as far as I know, Master is the only being fully aware of the extent of this loop and has a plan to fix it. To move the universe forward.

“Even so, there has to be a better way! There has to be a way to free them, and change the world! Without resulting in so much bloodshed!”

A way that everybody could win without making anyone into a loser, not just the Scry or any other side.

A compromise for everyone that wouldn’t result in the chaos that follows. I mean, come on, this can’t really be the only way Kyrias could change, could it?

“Steve, there’s a difference, you know? Between being idealistic. And being delusional.

“And you’re being… INSANE! How do you even consider sacrificing Viviana of all people!”

“Viviana’s death is important because she serves as a perfect connection to the main pieces on both sides. Utilizing those aspects of her identity and social standing to trigger a dramatic reaction from Ense is critical. But if you’re angry about how her death is uncalled for.”

Masters explains with unbelievable calmness, walking to change a few written lines on the blackboard.

“I could even change it so that she understands what her role in this narrative is, making her death consensual and heroic. [A princess who dies for the sake of the greater good] isn’t such a bad fate. Many have it worse.”

“And what about THEM?" 

I point at the area of the blackboards where the countless [potential casualties] are listed, my voice becoming strained and bordering on screaming.

"What reason could you possibly have to justify killing these people?!”

"I think you’re misunderstanding something again. I am not forcing these people to play out exactly every detail of my setup, I’m just opening their eyes to the possibility. The choice is still firmly within their hands to choose as they please. Well, as if any of them are competent enough to even notice that.”

Master shrugs, not a hint of guilt in his nonchalant demeanor.

“Think about it, if any of them has the ability to change their own fate then I wouldn’t have to do anything in the first place. I’m just doing what has to be done to get these ignorant, static worlds to change. Honestly, they should be thankful.”

A condescending smirk appears on the visible half of his face.

“Also, keep in mind that the state of conflict in Kyrias won’t even last forever. Eventually, Ense will come back. But by that point, he won’t be the strongest god anymore, or even an emperor. Kyrias itself would probably try to do something as well, but it probably gained the most from this state of conflict than any other side, so I don't expect it to take any drastic actions. Either way, no matter what any of them do, the world will never be the same.”

That smirk turns into a smile, a happy, delightful smile that is as childish as it is chilling.

“So I win~!”

...And when I see that.

...I freeze.

“You… win?”

...Is that all that matters? So much so that whatever means you have to use to achieve this [victory] is justified? What about everyone else? What are they in your eyes? Pieces to be moved? Words, written on a piece of paper to be edited and changed as you damn pleased?

—Is that who the Master of the Conceptors Grand Archive really is?

...A being who, ever since the beginning of time, not only watches over all there is—but also decides who lives and dies. Calculatingly, apathetically, and uncaringly with no regard given to people’s lives. Is this how [history] is eternally recorded in the Grand Archive?

“These people are alive!”

Reaching my limit with the absurdity of this whole thing, I yell out.

“They DESERVE better this! And whoever you think you are you can’t just say you’re not a god and still treat everybody else like they’re BELOW you—moving them around like they’re characters in your stupid play!”

“—Well, that’s because THEY ARE!”

Unexpectedly, what I have said seems to trigger something in Master. Because at once, he completely drops the facade of cheerful friendliness and lets out what must be a genuine cry of frustration.

“WE ALL ARE! Can’t you SEE? Don’t you UNDERSTAND? This is not about [morality] or [right or wrong]! This is about whether or not anything—ANYTHING—we do have ANY [Meaning]!”

He steps forward and waves his hands all over the place in hysterical mania.

“Those people, you, me, none of us are really alive—! We’re just SHELLS, [shadows] of our past selves sentenced to echo forever like ripples in the sea of eternity. And while every single one of you is sitting comfortably in your little circle of ignorance. [I] am the only person that can SEE [The Big Picture]!”

“Your [picture] is way too—fucking big!”

I immediately shoot back.

“Ever since I came here it was always [infinity] and [eternity]. I get it. You’ve been doing this for a very long time and you’ve got everything figured out. You think this is a game to you. But none of these people have anything to do with it! They aren’t a part of this!”

“Everything is connected in some way or the other in this, Steve. Big or small we all have a part to play in this because if you haven’t already forgotten, again, we are—”

“[Fictional] I know! But so what? None of that matters to me or to these people! They’re just normal, ordinary people. They shouldn’t have to bear the responsibility of knowing like you!”

If you think knowledge is a curse then why don’t spare other people from it? If ignorance is bliss, then why can’t you let people have it? What’s wrong with just wanting to live, love, and die without suddenly having to deal with the [true nature of existence]?

“So you’re saying to just let them avert their eyes from the truth… That’s very disappointing.”

“...What?”

Suddenly, Master shakes his head at me disapprovingly—and composedly—as if that angry shouting earlier didn’t happen. Not only does the abruptly shifting tone surprise me, but it also throws me off quite a bit, feeling like I’ve just got riled up all on my own for no reason.

But there is a reason. And that is to get Master to see his faults. 

“Don’t throw my words back at me… you’re the wrong one here.”

“Am I though?”

Again, with the same calmness, Master starts to explain before I can even ask him to clarify.

“Cause and effects, actions and reactions, questions and answers—not always satisfying answers I must admit—but they’re always there, always. Because that’s what [causality] is, choices, and consequences. And I have been offering you a choice, haven’t I? I have always been offering you a choice.”

Listening to him, an uncomfortable feeling tugs the corner of my consciousness.

“What are you… getting at?”

“Let's start from the beginning, how did we get to this point, Steve? I mean, how are you even here right now?”

“That’s because…”

Back then he offered me a choice, to either become a guest of the Grand Archive or accept my fate and die right then and there.

“And you chose. After which, here you are. But that was not the only choice you made was it?”

Not the only choice I’ve made? What is he referring to?

“For example, ‘Pleaaaaasssssee~! I just want to have my fantasy adventure with sword and sorcery!’ Like that.”

“...”

...Just now, I realize what he’s trying to say. And it's not a gentle realization, but a sudden and painful one that automatically makes every counter-argument I could have made against him before, disappear as a result.

“Then later, when I was wondering whether or not I should establish a fixed divergence point. Who was it that pushed me to do what I know is right?”

—That was me.

“And of course, when I offered you a chance to back out. The choice that led directly to you discovering the truth about the Scry. Who was it that said he was willing to pay the price of being good? To honor the promise he has made?”

—That was also me.

And when Master does a little spin among the sprawling wall of texts floating in the air, his point couldn’t be any clearer.

“Ultimately, all this couldn’t have happened without your decisions, Steve. It was not actually [me] who chose the world of Kyrias, it was you—whimsically, enthusiastically, simply because you felt like it—you were the one who set the wheels in motion. From the very first time we met.”

The very first time Master and I met, if I were to believe in Master’s words, then it would be the time where I ask him that question. The one that allegedly led to the creation of the Conceptors Grand Archive, and subsequently, the Six Eternities themselves.

And if so.

—Does that mean that all of this is my fault?

.....

—No, definitely not.

“Don’t be ridiculous... You can’t expect to suddenly pin all the blame on me... That guy who talked to you wasn’t even [me].”

Despite my attempt to try to sound confident in that excuse of mine, I can’t properly express that I actually believe in what I’m saying at all. There's a seed of doubt, forming inside me. What if, what if the [me] then was?

“Yes, he was… always was, always will be. Forever.”

Before I know it, Master is right in front of me again, and as he places his hand on my shoulder, his soothing voice worms its way into my ears like a parasite.

“He shared your will, your memory, and your pain. Sadness, purpose, loss, shame, all of it. In fact, you can even say that he’s the [original] you—the [real] you—and you’re but one of the countless shadows which inherited the legacy you yourself left behind. So tell me, if that is the case, what makes you different, [Steve]?”

...What makes me different are the decisions I’ve made that I know were my own, the decisions I said I would uphold, the decisions which inadvertently caused Master to set his sights on Kyrias, on its empires and people—all of these are the results of my decisions.

“So how far are you willing to go to honor what makes you, [you]? Or are you, like [me], just another hypocrite?”

“...”

Listening to each of the words that are chosen with surgical precision to shake me, truths and lies become blurred. One thing is certain, however, which is that—Master knows me. He knows what to say, which memory it would recall, and how I would react.

—And I know too, somewhere deep down, that everything he’s saying is right.

So what if 50 million people, maybe even more, are going to die? That number is nothing compared to [infinity]. And in the face of [eternity], any meaning it has is but a teardrop in the rains.

—Even if I may be the one directly responsible. If I had chosen to ignore it and didn’t press Master into giving me a choice. I wouldn’t even know.

But if I do that, then wouldn’t I just be averting my eyes from the truth?

…..

“You’re right, Master.”

When push comes to shove, this is what I choose.

Because I can’t do it. I can’t think as he does. Infinity isn't something an ordinary human like me can understand. Or want to understand. Something which nullifies all the nuances in humanity and makes them meaningless—is too scary.

But even if this is not about [morality]. Even if he’s technically right, and I am fundamentally wrong. I still can’t bear, having the weight of those lives on my shoulders. Even if I wouldn’t necessarily have to even remember it—I still can’t.

Just imagining that there’s a possibility that the responsibility of it all, the weight of it, is all mine to carry—the legacy that will be inherited by the [me]s that will inevitably come afterward—that is enough to crush me.

I don’t want Master to carry out this plan for my own sake, and if my understanding of the nature of his existence is right, then for him as well.  

And if words aren’t enough to get him to change his mind.

There’s only one thing left to do.

…..

“I beg you…”

I kneel in front of Master, and bow.

It should have started like this from the beginning. Because in every sense of the word, getting into an argument with the All-Knowing One, was a really stupid thing to do. I don’t have the right to argue with him in the first place. And the only reason I didn’t realize that, is that recently, I have been getting full of myself.

I was chosen to be the sole guest of the Grand Archive. Any questions I could have had, the answers are somewhere in here. It makes me forget myself. Fools me into thinking that I’m clever, that I’m special.

But I’m not special.

So, Steve, you ordinary, unremarkable, incompetent, complacent, ignorant idiot. Do it right this time.

—And be humble.

“Please...”

Because the person in front of you is the holder of all the cards. The one who knows all and sees all, the one who decides the fate of all life, in the end, and the beginning. The Master of the Grand Archive is untouchable and you are powerless before him.

...So act like the powerless mortal that you are, Steve, and beg.

“—Please… don’t do this.”

...Get on your knees, and pray.

“—There has... to be a better way.”

...And may mercy be given.

…..

“Well, yeah, there’s a better way. There’s always a better way.”

After a couple of seconds of dramatically staring at the floor, the answer I get from the white-haired man is unexpectedly... casual?

I meekly raise my head a little to peek at Master. 

“Really?”

“Yep.”

He simply nods, completely undermining the dramatic act I’m putting up. So I'm basically forced to awkwardly get back on my feet while scratching my head puzzlingly.

“But I’m not giving it to you.”

Just as Master's next words dash my confusingly combined feeling of hope and excitement away, leaving me at least two-timed more baffled than ever before.

“W-why?”

Instead of answering, Master turns his back to me and walks to the center of the main observation room, to [The Astral Projector].

“I’m not a god or a fairy, praying won’t get you anywhere. Because nothing has ever been given to us either.”

He gestures at the walls of books all around us with a light twirl.

“All of this. None of it was given to us. We’ve worked for it. We have EARNED it. By betting everything, our blood, our bonds—just so that we could win. And if you want to play the game then you have to do the same.”

“...”

I stare at him in silence as a certain ominous expectation rises in my heart. And my expectation is only solidified when Master switches his book into [The Astral Projector].

The golden orb closes and revolves, and the scene of the Grand Archive revolves with it. Around and around until everything settles to reveal a dark, endless sky filled with stars, clusters of sparkling galaxies, vast scattering nebulas, and colorful specks of glistening stardust.

Now in front of me, a table, a chessboard. And Master, rolling the small black king piece between his fingers.

“The stakes will be the lives and deaths of 2 billion people of Kyrias. And just as a little extra…”

He places the black king on the board, grins devilishly, and whispers in an echoing voice that sounds as though it’s that of a thousand beings crammed into one.

“Your entire existence, Steve Carlo.”

2