Potion Master
4.6k 20 212
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We were called back to the arena so they could announce the winners. I was trying to calm my nerves as I walked into the arena. I didn’t think I would win. I only used beginner recipes and one of the advanced ones. I need more practice and better ingredients for the more advanced and expert-level stuff. We all stood in rows by the judges waiting for them to speak. Gordon stepped onto a small stage and raised his hand in the air, trying to quiet everyone. It worked rather quickly as a hush fell over the place.

 

“Thank you all for coming. Now I will announce the competition winners, starting with our runner-ups.” Gordon then named the two, and when I didn’t hear my name called, I felt relieved and nervous at the same time. Either my stuff was worse than those two, or they were better than I thought.

 

The crowd cheered the two winners on. They were a cat girl and a dwarf. They each received some money and a title.

 

“Alright!” Gordon bellowed. “Without further ado, we will now announce the winners starting from last place!”

 

I was extremely nervous now. Gordon Called off the fifth-place winner, who was an elf player. The judges showcased the potions to everyone so we could see their stats. The potion effects felt a little lacking to me. Seeing that instilled some hope in me.

 

Gordon continued like this with each contestant and showed the potions they made. Each one is slightly better than the last. The other players in the stands were loudly talking about each potion. I could hear some players who participated in the event talk about how they wanted to buy the potions.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we now announce the first-place winner of the apothecary competition,” Gordon said, drawing the attention of everyone. My heart was palpitating in anticipation.

 

“The winner goes to Gywndolyn with the username Rejected Goddess.” I stood there for a moment in shock before I could collect myself and walk up on stage. They displayed the potions I created, and the arena erupted loudly in a heated conversation.

 

“What kind of broke-ass shit are those potions?”

 

“We never stood a chance. We played checkers here, and she was playing 4-D chess all along.”

 

I heard several of the other contestants voice their thoughts. I thought the stuff Old Man taught me was just some basic stuff, but maybe it’s actually really good?

 

“If you don’t mind, may I ask you a few questions?” Gordon asked me. I focused my attention back on the host.

 

“Sure? I guess that’s fine.” I said, still a little shaken from winning.

 

“I, and I am sure everyone else, would like to know. How did you learn to craft these obscene potions? The effects on them are amazing.”

 

I thought about my answer momentarily and decided to be a bit vague. I didn’t need to trouble my mentor with obnoxious players trying to find him and asking to be taught.

 

“I stumbled across an old man who taught me what he knew,” I said, hoping it was vague enough and that it would be enough.

 

“Fascinating. What was his name, and where did you find him?” Gordon asked with a tinge of excitement.

 

I knew I would be asked for some more details. Time to be vague once again. “I stumbled on him in a remote location. His name is Old Man.” The remote location part isn’t wholly a lie. I did find him in a remote part of the town.

 

“Ah, a hidden master, and he is known as an old man?” As if what I said was perfectly natural.

 

“No, his name is Old Man,” I responded.

 

Gordon looked confused at my reply but said, “That’s what I said, old man.”

 

“Old Man.” I corrected him.

 

Gordon stared blankly at me for a moment before continuing. “Anyway. For first place, here is your prize. A portable apothecary workbench. It is a Grade SS Item that can also store all your materials. It collapses down into a small briefcase when not in use. It is also soul bound to you. You also have a couple of new titles now, some exclusive to you. You also get the in-game prize money of one hundred thousand gold and a new skin for your spark.”

 

I was taken aback by what I had won. The workbench is really great. I won’t have to keep returning to Old Man to use his equipment now, and I could make potions even in the middle of a dungeon or something. Gordon gave his closing speech, and the crowd cheered. After, everyone started to leave.

 

Several other contestants rushed up to me to either add me as a friend or invite me to their guild, even though I was in my sister’s guild. I finally got out of there and met up with my family and Naomi, though I guess she is starting to grow on me a bit, so she is like…step-family? Dunno if that makes sense, but I am rolling with it.

 

“Mom! Those potions you made were absolutely insane!” Yuki said as we met, “How did you even craft those?”

 

“I just practiced what I was taught, honestly. Plus, they had some higher-grade ingredients available that I rarely had a chance to use. You can do some basic things regardless of how high-quality the material is. Plants can be lumped into categories, and their preparation is more or less the same. The odd one might deviate, but those are rare.” I tried to explain.

 

We left the large coliseum and were immediately surrounded by other players. I could even recognize one of the leaders of a particular guild when I did that lich quest. Now I have to fight my way through all of this.

 

Sorry for the shorter chapter. I had a bit of a writer's block with this one and had a hard time trying to get something I liked. I rewrote it a few times.

212