Chapter 28
1.7k 5 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(22 BBY)

 

We started receiving intelligence reports about entire Republic fleets disappearing. This could mean only one thing. I had my sources within the CIS look into my suspicion. And they confirmed it, the CIS finished construction of my next prey and it has been mobilized. It was time for a whale hunt.

 

“Admiral set course for the Abregado system, it’s time to hunt a whale.” I said smiling sinisterly.

 

Looking at me smiling like a loon, Krald muttered “Wonder whose day, are you going to ruin today.” I just chuckled.

 

(Time Skip)

 

We drop out of hyperspace into the system in full fleet strength. Just in time to see the Malevolence jumping away. Our hyperspace signatures spooked them off.

 

“Looks like there was a battle here, and the republic got annihilated” said Krald, looking out at the debris field.

 

“Send out the fighters as CAS and have the servitors move in and strip everything of use. Have the fleet move around the debris field and prevent anyone from escaping. Activate full spectrum ECMs as well.” I ordered.

 

Soon Gatobar engineer droid swarms were unleashed into the debris field. Each Servitor class ship could store thousands upon thousands of these droids.

 

The fighters did intercept three boarding ships on pod hunting duty. They were quickly destroyed.

 

Soon enough I started getting reports of escape pods, and there being survivors in them.

 

“Bring the survivors onboard” I say.

 

(POV Plo Koon)

 

We had tracked down the secret weapon being used by the separatists, but we woefully underestimated it. Its ion canon super weapon disabled our ships and it’s turbolasers picked us apart one ship at a time.

 

Some of us were able to get to escape pods, but most didn’t make it. Now we have to wait for rescue.

 

“The power grid has burned out. We have no engines, communications or life support recharge” reported sergeant Sinker.

 

“So, we just sit here and hold our breath” said Wolffe.

 

“Someone will come looking for us, right sir?” asked Boost.

 

All three look at me, I don’t know what they expect from me. “Let’s get the power restored, so we are here to be found” I said. This gets them moving to start the repairs. I help where I can.

 

(Time Skip)

 

We got basic power supply back up and running.

 

“The air in here is beginning to get stale” said sergeant Sinker.

 

“Don’t look at me sir, it’s Boost. He only takes a bath when he is on leave” Said Wolffe.

 

“Save it! Just keep working on the pod, not your jokes” countered boost. Well atleast they are taking the situation well.

 

“Do you think we have a chance general?” asked Sinker. Why do they think I have all the answers.

 

“I don’t believe in chance sergeant. I believe if we work together, we will survive till someone finds us” I said trying to keep the morale up.

 

“Sir with all due respect, strategically speaking it doesn’t make any sense for someone to come looking for us. If I was me in command, I will be hunting that weapon down.” Said Wolffe. Why does he have to be a realist all of a sudden.

 

“I value your life more than finding that weapon.” I said, trying to keep whatever morale was left, up.

 

“Sir, there is another Pod out there” said Boost.

 

“We could contact them if we had power” said Sinker.

 

“We could wave hello when their view port comes around” said Boost.

 

I used the force to turn it around. What we saw wasn’t good.

 

“Their pod was bust open” said Wolffe.

 

“We aren’t alone out here” I said.

 

(Time skip)

 

 Boost and Wolffe managed to get communications back online. We started receiving a distress signal. We look to see a boarding vessel approaching the escape pod. Now we know what happened to the other one.

 

Just as we thought all hope was lost for those in that escape pod, a rain of laser fire came down on the boarding vessel decimating it. We look to see vulture droids as well as different starfighters flying about.

 

“Why are the droids attacking their own?” asked Wolffe. As if to answer his question a large fleet starts encircling our wreck and deploying thousands upon thousands of strange scavenger droids. Then I notice the Sigil on the vessels.

 

“Those aren’t separatists” I said. Who would have thought Nomad would show up here.

 

“Then who are they?” asked Boost.

 

“Possibly our salvation. Just pray that they don’t’ have a contract on our heads, then we are dead. As for your question trooper, they are the Mandalorian Ghosts” I explained.

 

Soon enough dropships started approaching escape pods with passengers still alive and taking us to their flagship.

 

(POV Thrunn)

 

I was waiting on the bridge, looking out of the view port. Soon master Plo Koon walked in accompanied by Subail and HK.

 

“Well look what the Cathar dragged in, out for a spacewalk are we master Plo Koon” I asked.

 

“When the walk is force on you, you have little choice” he retorted.

 

“So, what gave you an ass whooping of the century?” I asked.

 

 “We were ambushed by a secret separatist weapon” explained Plo Koon.

 

“Umm… So, you ran into that thing. Tough luck for you guys” I said. This piqued his interest.

 

“You know what it is?” He asked.

 

“Ofcourse I know. Who do you think I am?” I said incredulously.

 

As we approach the holo terminal a sensors officer speaks up. “Sir we have an unidentified freighter approaching” said the officer.

 

“Well then hail them” let’s see what these unexpected guests want.

 

(POV Anakin)

 

Finally yielding to my new Padawans insistence, we set off to check for Abregado. Last month I was able to complete my trials. And soon after the council gave me my own Padawan, named Ahsoka Tano. A young headstrong togruta girl.

 

As we drop out of hyperspace, the sight that greets us is quite frustrating. Atleast for me.

 

“Now we know what happened to master Plo Koons fleet. We must call for help, there is such a large Separatist fleet present here.” Said Ahsoka.

 

“They aren’t Separatists” I said in a deadpan tone.

 

“Then who are they?” asked Ahsoka

 

“Someone very dangerous and very irritating” I explained.

 

“We are being hailed” said Ahsoka. Ahsoka checks the incoming transmission “They are telling us to land at the hangar they designated”.

 

I could only sigh “We better go then”

 

(POV Ahsoka)

 

We came here upon my insistence only to run into a mystery fleet, a large mercenary fleet. A fleet that can make my master sweat bullets.

 

As we land in the hangar, we are greeted by what seems to be Mandalorians. “Don’t say anything to irritate them” warned my master.

 

“I am afraid you are the one who will say something weird master” I retorted. He just sighed. That’s highly unlike him.

 

As we reach the bridge, we are stopped a squad of guards and battle droids. This ship is more militarized than our ships. As soon as they receive the message to let us in, we are allowed to pass through.

 

When we entered the bridge the first thing, I notice that the bridge is much more advanced than I expected and there are officers and droids moving around or at their stations carrying out tasks like a well-oiled machine. Then I see master Plo Koon and standing next to him a large Mandalorian, in pitch black armor with green and golden accents. A menacing skull painted on his helmet. When he looked at me, I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. It felt like I was staring down the maw of an ancient primal beast. I was taken out of my stupor when the Mandalorian spoke.

 

“What is your order thinking making this thickhead a knight, and even worse letting him sink his claws into such a young and impressionable girl” said the Mandalorian to Mater Plo “I know your order took a hit, and are low in numbers. But have you already scraped the bottom of the barrel” he asked incredulously.

 

“He did pass his trial” said master Plo. I look over to my master, only to see him rolling his eyes. No snarky come backs at all, highly unlike skyguy. How did this Mandalorian have so much sway over master, I could fell slight nervousness from Anakin.

 

“Well sorry for being so thick-headed Nomad” said Anakin half committedly. Wait this is The Nomad, the famed Jedi killer and bounty hunter/mercenary. Why is everyone talking to him so casually.

 

“Oh, Kriff off brat, or I will smack you all the way back to Shmi. Maybe she can discipline you” said Nomad in a teasing tone. The same way and adult teases a kid.

 

“Who is Shmi?” I asked.

 

“My mother” explained Anakin. That was surprising.

 

“Let’s discuss the matter at hand shall we” says master Plo Koon, expertly redirecting the topic of the conversation “Nomad can you really not give us your Intel about this weapon”

 

“No. I won’t sell you the intel” denied Nomad adamantly. He goes onto type something into the console of the holo projector. How can he not give us the inelegance, it will save countless lives.

 

“How can you not share that intel; you could save countless lives. How can you be so cold hearted.” I said to Nomad, then turned to the masters “Why are we even dealing with this jedi killer?”

 

Mater Plo Koon just stares at me, while skyguy just shakes his head.

 

“Ahem… have you calmed down?” I suddenly froze up “Have you got your resentments are out of your system, young padawan” asked an all too familiar and stern voice.

 

I slowly turn around, what greets me are the holograms of Master Yoda and Windu. Oh, Kriff it all.

 

“You see master Yoda, my statement of ‘the blind, leading the blind’ just keeps proving itself” he says to the masters, then he turned to me “As for you youngling, all the Jedi and Sith that died by my hands are those that got in my way. Some even had the bright idea of trying to kill me” Stated Nomad menacingly.

 

“Forgive the young one Nomad. Let’s get back to the topic in hand” stated Plo Koon.

 

“Please, if I took everything a young pup spouted seriously, this one would have ended up in a sarlacc pit long ago” Nomad said pointing at Anakin over his shoulders. My master let out an annoyed groan in response.

 

“Now back to the topic. I am not going to sell you the intelligence. But I am willing to take it out for you. Forwarding the contract, now” Nomad then proceeds to send the contract over the holonet “The primary stipulates along with the fee being, we get to keep any ship we capture or loot we find. You must also keep the fact that, we accepted this contract a secret till the mission is done. I don’t want CIS spies among your cadres leaking it out. Pretty standard contract. I know you guys are currently stretched thin, and it just so happens we currently don’t have any active contracts.”

 

The masters start to read this contract, well except for skyguy. “Reasonable your contract is, accept it we do. A condition add we must” said master Yoda.

 

“And what might that be” asked Nomad.

 

“Attached to your fleet a jedi observer will be. Make sure we must, the weapon the CIS doesn’t have.” Explained Master Yoda.

 

“Acceptable. And who will be the observer?” enquired Nomad.

 

“The ones already there would suffice” said master Windu.

 

Nomad nodded at the masters “Good, because we already entered hyperspace, and are already on the way to it’s location. Call you after this is done. Have my money ready” and cuts the call. I look out and we are already jumping into hyperspace.

 

Nomad goes to an officer “Krald, how long?” he asked.

 

“Two days. If intelligence was correct, by then plan ‘whale hunting’ would be a go” explained the officer.

 

“Good” he then turns to the Mandalorian who brought us here “Take them to where the rest of the survivors are housed”. The Mandalorian nods and leads us to our destination. 

 

 

 What was plan ‘whale hunting’ you ask. I was going to give grievous a taste of his own medicine. I had ‘acquired’ some CIS clearance codes. I had already sent two modified Sheathipede toward the Malevolence. Modified as in they were flying EMP bombs.

 

(Time Skip)

 

(Ryndellia System, Bridge of the Malevolence)

 

(POV Dooku)

 

The test run for the weapon has been a success so far. But my master has warned me something is afoot. Apparently, the Jedi have been making moves in secret.

 

“Sir, approaching shuttles, scans indicate they are ours” said a droid. Umm... there were no scheduled arrivals.

 

“They are transmitting clearance codes now. Everything checks out” said the droid. Something doesn’t feel right.

 

“Clear them for landing” said Grievous. He was more focused on hunting down the remnants of the flotilla we just destroyed.

 

“They have landed in the central hangar sir” replied the droid after a few minutes.

 

“Show me a camera feed of the hangar, Now!” I commanded.

 

Soon a video feed of the hangar pops up. These shuttles weren’t ours.

 

“I have not seen such colour schemes among our forces” commented Grievous.

 

“That is because they are not ours” I said gritting my teeth.

 

“Then who are they?” asked Grievous.

 

“Someone very dangerous” I said.

 

“Sir incoming transmission from one of the shuttles. It seems to be a recording of some kind” said a droid.

 

“Put it through” I ordered.

 

“Greetings Count, this is a friendly warning. I would evacuate that ship right now. You see, I have accepted a contract on that big ass ship of yours. So, I am coming for it. But since neither you nor Grievous were mentioned in the contract, you get this friendly warning. You have thirty minutes to escape after this message plays. Good luck.” Said the hologram of an all too familiar figure, Nomad.

 

“Sir, there is a large energy build up on the two shuttles that just landed” reported a droid.

 

“DESTROY IT” shouted Grievous.

 

“There is no time. We will evacute now. This ship is now considered a loss” I ordered. Of all the people to target this ship, it had to be the most troublesome one.

 

“You want me to run from a few bounty hunters” seethed Grievous.

 

“No, not running. A withdrawal from a battle, I know I can’t win. Especially without any assets at my disposal and all that I currently have in play are about to be knocked out” I explained. And started walking away.

 

As we made it off the bridge and reached the nearby hangar, a huge electromagnetic pulse went through the ship. Everything went offline. The droids, the spasming Grievous and every system onboard the ship.

 

Lucky for me, my personal shuttle was completely offline before the Emp blast. So, its systems were undamaged. I throw the limp Grievous into the back of the shuttle and lift off. 

 

As we leave, I could see the ships secondary systems come online. Only for a second EMP pulse to arc through the ship bringing it all offline.

 

As this is happening a large fleet drops out of hyperspace and starts moving in to encircle the now limp battle cruiser.

 

Master will not be pleased.

 

 

(In Hyperspace, Impromptu Barrack room near a hangar)

 

(POV Ahsoka)

 

 

We were assigned a large room to rest and wait. There were also portable cots present for those who wanted to sleep. We have been in here for almost two days now.

 

Right now, I was sitting in a circle with Master Skyguy, Master Plo Koon, Wolffe, Sinker and Boost.

 

“So, think these mercs can take down that monstrosity?” asked Boost.

 

“Only time will tell. One thing is certain, they have the fire power to do it” replied Master Plo Koon.

 

“Well, that’s if they can get the Jump on it” said Wolffe.

 

“Why are we even working with them?” I ask “Are they even mercs? Can they be trusted?” I don’t like that we are working with mercs in the first place and these guys are too organized and militarized to be mercs, even for Mandalorians.

 

“Well they are the nearest force that can attack the Separatist Super weapon, without us weakening our lines. We still don’t know what they are exactly. They are sometimes mercs, sometimes bounty hunters and at other times they are pirates. They are and Enigma. Many have tried sending spies to look into their background. Very few return and those that returned found nothing substantial. Hence, they live up to their moniker ‘The Ghosts of Mandalore’. Especially now that they are the last major concentration of known Mandalorians, after their entire sector disappeared” explained Master Plo Koon.

 

“Plus, you can trust in Nomad, as long as you don’t go against his interests or seek to harm any of his people, or any Mandalorians” said Skyguy. On that note.

 

“He seemed to know you well master, you two have a history. He even mentioned your mother before” I had to ask. Everyone turned to Anakin at that point.

 

“Well when I was a child, Nomad and his Mandalorians freed me and my mother from slavery. They gave us a home and looked after us. Well, till I joined the Jedi. My mother was still under his protection till not too long ago. She now lives on Naboo” explained Anakin. Well that’s way more than I expected. No wonder Nomad has some sway over Anakin and Skyguy trusts him, well atleast to an extent. “You can trust in the fact that he has honor and won’t betray us” continued Anakin with a smirk “especially when we signed such a lucrative contract”.

 

I have to admit that’s a lot of new information to process. Sigh.

 

At that moment the door opens, and a Mandalorian soldier walks in. It was the same one that brought is here.

 

“It’s time. Your presence is requested at the bridge” he said. Signaling us to follow.

 

We make our way towards the bridge. Our group consisted of Master Plo Koon, Anakin, me and Wolffe.

 

The ship was mobilizing for battle. We could see legions of droids and soldiers moving about. Starfighters being prepared. This must be happening throughout the fleet. The security was also tighter. The bridge alone was guarded by many battle droids and Mandalorians.

 

Nomad was standing near the view port with his officers. Probably discussing strategy. He turns around and sees us coming, he nods at the others, who return to their stations.  

 

“We will be arriving in a few minutes” said Nomad.

 

“What’s the battle plan?” asked Anakin.

 

“The plan?” Nomad turned to look at us. I could feel his sneer through his helmet “The plan was already in motion, the moment you signed the contract” he turns and looks out.

 

Just then we exit hyperspace. What we see surprises us.

 

“How is this possible?” asked Mater Plo Koon in bewilderment.

 

Before us is a huge battle cruiser, with arcs of electricity pulsing over it. Just then we spot a shuttle leaving one of its hangars. Probably Grievous escaping.

 

The ship suddenly starts powering up. Its backup systems must be powering up. Just then another large EMP pulse passes through the ship and its surroundings, it goes offline again.

 

“The whale has been immobilized, now to reel it in” said Nomad. The entire fleet starts forming a perimeter around the battle cruiser. Waves of boarding craft and dropships leave the fleet. Swarms of starfighters both manned and droid launch as contingency against any sudden changes that may occur.

 

“How did you manage to take it down without a shot being fired” asked an incredulous Wolffe. I would like to know as well.

 

“Well thought out plans, preparation and some deception” says Nomad in a cryptic way. It became all too clear he already knew about this secret Separatist weapon, even before we did. He knew we would seek help. And he had plans set in place to launch at any moment.

 

“You never change, do you?” asked Anakin exasperatedly.

 

“Nope” said Nomad.

 

“How?” I asked. I had to know. This thing took down many republic fleets.

 

“Well, let’s just say I gave it an enema of its own medicine” said Nomad with a chuckle. Laughing at his own stupid joke.

 

“Leave it at that Ahsoka. You won’t get anything out of him, even if you try. Otherwise master Yoda or Qui-Gon would have gotten some answers long ago” chuckled Anakin.

 

We watched as the ghosts boarded and took over an entire ship. No shots fired. No battle fought. They simply took it as theirs.

 

“With this the contract has been fulfilled. Wouldn’t you say Master Plo Koon” asked Nomad.

 

“It seems to be the case” said master Plo Koon, a little exasperation evident in his voice “Let me report it to the Council” said Master Plo Koon moving to the holo-communication table with Anakin.

 

Nomad turns to his officer and orders “Send in the Servitors when she is secured”.

 

Then he turns to me “Not what you expected, is it?” asked Nomad.

 

“Well..., no” I said rubbing the side of my arms “I was expecting more of a battle. This was very underwhelming” I admitted.

 

“That means, the plan worked kid. It’s always a great victory, when you can win without firing a single shot. Without losing the life of a single soldier. Remember each soldier, whether droid or organic is precious, and has value. The lives of your troops are the currency available to a general, to attain victory in battle. A good general doesn’t spend those lives needlessly. Each one is valuable and he tries to preserve as much as possible” explained Nomad. I can’t help but feel great wisdom in those words.

 

“Couldn’t agree more” commented Wolffe. A look of respect showing on his face.

 

A lot to take in. I still have a lot to learn.

34