Chapter 30
1.7k 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(22 BBY)

 

While the war across the outer rim wages, the Republic are scrambling to fight back. By now, most had heard about The Ghost Fleet of Mandalore, it had taken part in many key fleet battles for both sides with little to no losses. We were gaining fame as a sort of immortal fleet.

 

One of the planets under separatist invasion was Ryloth. And now the republic must once again contract the infamous Fleet to assist in saving the planets people.

 

 

(POV Thrunn)

 

I was on the new flagship of ‘The Expeditionary Fleet’ or as the locals call it ‘The Ghost Fleet’, The Moby Dick. I was going through intelligence reports and news on the war. It wasn’t looking too good for the republic. Especially, since my intervention leading them and the Separatists to be banned from using Hutt space. Well almost. I had proposed an idea to Jabba later. We allow a certain number of republic and separatist ships passage, but they will have to pay a ‘hyperlane tax’. I get 20% of the profit. I also made deals to sell the Hutts more weapons and droids. Especially planetary orbital weapons and shields, at a ‘reasonable’ price ofcourse.

 

“Sir, incoming transmission from the Jedi” said one of my communications officers.

 

“Bring it up on the main holo” I said.

 

Soon a hologram of Yoda, Windu and Ki-Adi-Mundi appeared. “To what do I owe the pleasure” I asked.

 

“New contract we have, help the people of Ryloth need” said master Yoda.

 

“The same people the republic had shun to slavery and oppression since, well since they joined the republic hundreds if not thousands of years ago” I asked. You could see both masters frowning deeply.

 

“We didn’t call to be lectured to” said Ki-Adi-Mundi.

 

“Oh, then why did you call ‘oh great protectors of the core worlds’” my sarcasm was palpable. Ki-Adi-Mundi was visibly angered. It was so easy to rile up some of these hypocrites up.

 

“The Jedi and clone soldiers defending the planet are on their last legs. Senator Organa is trying to get supplies to them. But it’s proving slow. We would like to ask you to step in” said Windu, cutting of Ki-Adi-Mundi. He understood I was trying to get a raise out of the Jedi Master.

 

“Well understandable. I already expected a few such requests and had the contracts prepared” I forward the contract for Ryloth “You can send the relief material to my fleet. Make sure you add weapons, ammunition and other military equipment to the cargo shipments. It will help the Twi’lek people better defend themselves in the future. And please understand I won’t be taking anyone with me, especially Senators”.

 

They read through the contract and agreed to it.

 

“Cargo shipments shall be sent to you within five days” said Windu forwarding the signed Contract and cutting the transmission.

 

I call up my admirals and informed them of the impending mission to Ryloth.

 

(Time Skip)

 

 

Soon a small fleet of eight Pelta class frigates arrived. More ships and reinforcements didn’t arrive because the republic was stretched thin. They dock with the Servitors, and start unloading their cargo.

 

A shuttle arrives from one of the Servitors, to the Moby Dick. It was Bail Organa. I had sent a squad to greet him in the hangar.

 

“Senator, to what do I owe the pleasure” I asked. As he enters the bridge with two clone guards.

 

“It’s finally good to meet the legendary Nomad, The Ghost of Mandalore. I have come to deliver aid to the Twi’lek of Ryloth. I thought it was mentioned” said the Senator.

 

“No senator, we will be delivering the aid. Your job was getting it here. Your assistance and concern for the Twi’lek people shall be conveyed. But I will not be taking anyone with me, especially dignitaries. It was especially underlined in the contract as a key condition” I refuted.

 

“But I must be present to show them the republic hasn’t abandoned them” he argued.

 

“Oh, on the contrary. The republic had long since abandoned them. When did Ryloth join the Republic, ten thousand years ago? And what has the republic done for them. Their people are impoverished and are forced into slavery. While you lot sit in lavish ivory towers in the core worlds. So, no I won’t be taking you with me. Just so that you can stroke your egos and soothe your consciousness that rears its head now and then” I said in a commanding voice.

 

“That can be changed, past mistakes can be corrected” he tried to argue.

 

“Oh? Correct the mistake of leaving them to languish in slavery and destitution? All the while fighting a war with soldiers, whose fate is no better than that of a slave warrior. Especially with the way the republic generals generally treat their soldiers” I say pointing at the clones “You send them half cooked into battle, with incompetent Jedi generals. How many have died unnecessary deaths so far. Take the infamous Skywalker and Kenobi for example. Sure, they win battles. But at exorbitant loss of soldier’s lives and equipment, all the while those loses can be prevented. To you they may be expendable. But to us they are part Mandalorian” I turn to the clone guards “Vode An” and give a show of respect. They return it. “So, senator, when the goods are unloaded, I ask you to take your ships and go back to your core worlds and ivory towers” I say in a ‘I won’t take no for an answer’ tone.

 

He left soon after, with an expression that could only be explained as a mixture of troubled and self-realization. Well he can’t be blamed; I just dropped some heavy-duty stuff on him. These so-called pacifist senators needed a wakeup call. They act all benevolent when they wanted to further their own political agenda. All the people they were ‘helping’ now, needed their help for hundreds if not thousands of years. They didn’t even bat an eye to their plight. Why do you think all those planets joined the Separatists. Damn Hypocrites.

 

I turn around to see the admiral shaking his head, with a smirk on his lips. I just chuckle and say “When the hypocrite leaves with his ships, we can be on our way”.

 

Soon after all the relief material had been unloaded, the senator and his little fleet leaves. We get moving as well.

 

(Time Skip)

 

The journey is comparatively short. We dropped out of hyperspace in the outer reaches pf the system.

 

“We have a Lucrehulk and six Munificents blockading the planet” called in a sensor officer.

 

“Admiral Usut and Kald take your strike groups to the flanks. Cut of their escape. Krald, lets test our new toy out shall we” I said with a sinister smile, which the admiral returns.

 

My fleet split into its respective strike groups and moved into its positions. Fighter screens were up and bomber wings were ready for attack runs. We corralled the separatist fleet into one location.

 

Now comes the test fire of the mega-ion canons after their upgrades.

 

“Charge the ion canons. Fire when ready” said the Krald. Soon enough supercharged ring of ions was speeding towards the separatist formation. The frigates tried escaping, but were too late. All seven ships were now gloating limp in space.

 

“Krald, have strike group three move in and start boarding actions, we might have use for them later. Ask strike group two to form a defensive perimeter. Move us into the orbit of the planet. Have fighter screens mop up any stragglers.” I said, then turned to the communications officer “Try and get coms with the Republic garrison” he nodded and started working with his technician to get a connection.

 

(POV Ima-Gun-Di)  

 

We are in dire straits. Our fleet was wiped out along with Admiral Dao. We are running out of food and supplies as well. It seems the time for a daring last stand is fast approaching. The twi’lek freedom fighters are going to take their people and try to escape while we hold the droid armies here for as long as possible.

 

“Captain is the gunship ready?” I ask captain Keeli. We had one left.

 

“It’s ready sir but, it’s too small for transporting all the civilians” explained the captain.

 

“No escape? But our families are with us” said Cham Syndulla.

 

Just then when I was going to suggest using the last gunship to blow up the right passage, a clone coms officer shouts from the portable coms table.

 

“Sir, we are receiving transmission from orbit” said the soldier, hope oozing out of his voice. Everyone in the surrounding who heard the shout gathered near the coms table.

 

We too run over to the portable communications unit. I accept the call. The hologram of an intimidating armored figure pops up.

 

“This is Nomad, The Ghost Fleet of Mandalore has broken the blockade. We have been contracted to liberate this planet from occupation. Who am I speaking to?” asked the infamous leader of The Ghosts.

 

“This is Jedi general Ima-Gun-Di. By the force you are a welcome sight. We were running low on ammo and food. We could use help down here” I said.

 

“Affirmative. We have complete space and air superiority. Ask your troops to designate priority targets and friendly positions. We have orbital bombardment and bombers on standby. Once the immediate threat is over, we will start offloading relief supplies” said Nomad, his proclamation is met with cheers from around the camp. He then continued “Once that is done. I will see what can be done about the occupation”

 

“Very well Nomad. You will have strike coordinates soon. May the force be with you” I say.

 

“Affirmative” he nods at me and then looks at the clones and says “Vode An”. The clones return the gesture. Then he cuts the transmission.

 

“What does that mean?” asked Cham Syndulla.

 

“It means ‘brothers all’. It’s a Mandalorian chant and sometimes a greeting between warriors. After all we are clones of a true Mandalorian, and trained by Mandalorian warriors.” explained Keeli.

 

“Sir our location’s coordinates have been sent. I informed them except for our location, they are clear to engage all targets in the open” said the coms officer. The tone of his voice itself changed.

 

Soon the ground starts rumbling. Loud booming can be heard from the distance.

 

Keeli gets a transmission. “Sir, the men from forward observations positions just reported in. The approaching clanker army has been scrapped. According to them it was raining turbolaser fire” he reported after listening to the transmission.

 

As soon as the separatist assault was destroyed, scores of shuttles started coming down. There were soldiers and medics as well. We can have a respite atleast for now.

 

(Time Skip)

(POV Thrunn)

 

Now that the republic garrison and Twi’lek freedom fighters are taken care of, onto the problem of Wat Tambor.

 

“Coms connect me to separatist command on this planet” I asked the coms officer.

 

Soon the hologram of a Skakoan appears.

 

“Ah, the infamous Nomad. Why did you call me. I thought you were sent to apprehend me” said Wat Tambor.

 

“Actually, there is no clause in the contract demanding your capture” he was surprise, or atleast It looked like it “I called to cut a deal with you. I will give you a shuttle to take your guards and whatever possessions you have and leave. You will have your droid army sent to a certain coordinate and handed over to me. In return, you will be given a free ‘escape pass’, and some intelligence on the house. I would rather avoid unnecessary conflicts, wouldn’t you as well?” I asked.

 

“What makes you think I will flee?” he asks.

 

“Well the presence of my entire fleet, including a retrofitted Subjugator class battle cruiser. I highly doubt you will get any reinforcements. Plus, I am no Jedi. I am not averse to orbital bombardments and collateral damage. As you would have already seen. So, take the peace offering, while I am still offering it. We have no enmity. Plus, I know the true reason behind your sudden invasion” I said in a knowing tone.

 

“What guarantee do I have you won’t double cross me?” he asks.

 

“I am not one of your associates, I keep my promises” I said adamantly.

 

He remains silent for a few minutes “Very well. Send the coordinates now. I will await the shuttle at those coordinates, but I will bring a few hostages. Just for safety” he said.

 

“Very well. Sending coordinates now” I said, sending him the coordinates before cutting the call.

 

“Not like a few hostages are going to stop us bombarding him, if he does something” commented Krald. I could only chuckle.

 

“He doesn’t need to know that, does he. Send down a few detachments of troops and droids. I want that coordinate locked down tight. I don’t want him pulling anything during the hand over. Move ships and starfighters over for fire support as well. Send one of the hyperdrive enabled Maxillipedes for him to use” I ordered. Better to be safe than sorry.

 

But contrary to belief Wat Tambor came with his entire droid legions to the coordinates. Well with a few hundred twi’lek prisoners. Once the shuttle was handed over and he loaded all his ‘merchandise’, he handed over the army and hostages. We also gave him some intel pointing out the schemes taking place behind his back. He then took off in his shuttle.

 

One battle less victory. A benefit of being infamous. If he had broken the deal, I would have gone after his head. No matter where he hid. He knew that all too well.

 

(Time Skip)

(POV Ima-Gun-Di)

 

It had been a few hours since the Ghost fleet arrived and pushed back the separatist offensive. There has been no movement from the separatist side so far. Now we got a transmission that Nomad himself was coming down to update us on the current situation.

 

Soon a highly modified Maxillipede landed not far from us. Out of it came five Mandalorians, in the lead was Nomad. I have heard about him and seen his holos. But, actually meeting him is another experience altogether. He deserves his infamy. Just his presence makes my primal senses scream danger.

 

“Nomad. I cannot thank you enough for the help you have rendered. We were on our last legs” I said.

 

“Don’t mention it, that’s what we were hired to do” said Nomad.

 

“Even so, you have our appreciations. You saved our families as well” said Cham.

 

“Well, you are welcome. So, how are things here? I can say with certainty, there won’t be any reinforcements coming your way anytime soon” said Nomad.

 

“The republic promised us help and protection. Are they going back on their promises” asked Cham.

 

“The republic won’t abandon you” said Master Di.

 

“Right, like it didn’t abandon them to poverty and slavery. Even after they joined the republic some ten thousand years ago. Let’s be realistic here. You are cut off; the republic has to pay a hefty toll to pass through Hutt space. And there is a limit to how much forces can travel through. Once we move on you will be back to square one. Or did you think we will stay here throughout the war” said Nomad. I particularly don’t like him bashing the republic even when what he said is true.

 

“Things can change, hundreds of republic soldiers died defending this planet. So, you can’t say we abandoned them” I argued.

 

“You fought to hold a strategic location during war time, the same location that the republic was not even concerning yourself with otherwise. Sure, I believe you” said Nomad, his sarcasm palpable “But you missed the point. You are cut off from the rest of the republic. In fact, most of this sector is cut off” said Nomad in a serious tone.

 

“He is true Jedi; we need help and it seems the republic won’t be able to provide it. Plus, we need to liberate our world from occupation” said Cham in a dejected and serious tone.

 

“What occupation?” asked Nomad in a joking tone.

 

“Have you forgotten there is a separatist army still occupying the planet” said Cham.

 

“There was one. Not anymore” said Nomad. How can that be. It has not been a day since he arrived.

 

“I don’t understand, how? You just arrived a few hours ago” asked cham. Asking the question on everyone’s mind.

 

“Yes, and there were no signs of battles taking place” added Keeli.

 

“Who said you needed battles to liberate a planet. Wat Tambor led this invasion not for conquest. He did it for other reasons. I just had to provide him with what he was looking for, some intelligence that he finds useful and a means to leave with his loot. He is just a greedy corporate head; you just need to know how to play them. He handed me his entire army before he left. I had already captured his fleet when I arrived” explained Nomad. This was good news. I was expecting bloody battles ahead.

 

“Well, damn. That’s one way to do it” said Keeli.

 

“Now comes the question of, how are you going to defend yourselves after our contract period is over?” asked Nomad. Throwing a cold water over everyone’s jubilation.

 

“I know you won’t ask without a proposition in mind. Just tell us” said Cham.

 

“I can provide your planet with the required defenses, equipment and resources. And I know your people have no means to pay for it. So, I want the rights to your largest moon” Nomad said looking at Cham Syndulla “Don’t worry about giving an immediate answer as I am gathering what remains of your planetary government as we speak. They will be here in a few minutes”

 

True to his word multiple shuttles land ushering forth some twi’lek guarded my Mandalorian troops. Soon they all gathered around the communication table. After everyone got their introductions out of the way, Nomad started speaking again.

 

“As I said before, you are cut off without help and we won’t be staying long. But I have a proposition. I can provide you means to defend yourselves. Ships, guns and a droid army. But I know you don’t have the wealth to pay me, so what I want in return are the rights to your largest moon. And I will have my friend in the corporate sector invest in your planet, but they will need the mining rights for the Ryll and other resources. I have their word that should you allow this, they will invest heavily in your planet. They will create resorts and other establishments where only the twi’lek people will be exclusively hired. You will also get a share from the profits of the mining operations and a certain share of profits from the businesses. You can use that money to further develop your planet” explained Nomad. His other reputation for being an opportunistic bastard is also showing its face. Let’s see where this goes. If this is the best way to protect these people then so be it.

 

“What do you plan to do with the moon?” asked one of the representatives.

 

“I will lease it to my corporate friends, they will build factories, cities, ship yards and such” said Nomad. What they don’t need to know is that it will act as a small but well-fortified base for my people.

 

“What guarantee do we have you will keep your promises” asked Cham.

 

“Ask anyone in the Galaxy. I keep my promises. That is why I only promise what I can do” said Nomad.

 

Cham looks to me for confirmation. “Yes, you can trust him to keep to his word. He will honor his promises and hunt down those who break their promises to him” I confirmed Nomads claim, while throwing in a little warning. I am sure Nomad has something else in play as well.

 

“Plus, that is why I have contracts ready to be signed” said Nomad, passing out datapads. I shouldn’t be surprised.

 

The representatives spend a few hours going through details of the contract and debating with Nomad. It was a sight to see, he was not just a warrior, but an astute business man as well. Soon the contracts were signed. Even me and Keeli had to sign in some places, stating that we were witnesses to these accords. I am sure Nomad will have these ratified by the senate, by end of the day.

 

I just hope we didn’t send an entire system to the maw of the beast. 

32