17: Kowtows and commoners
1.4k 7 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was time to go, but first I had to pry away the little girl clinging to me. I tried to be gentle, conscious of the stares on us. The outside of one of the palace’s side entrances didn’t burst with people, but guards crowded it, as well as a few people who had come to see me off. Meaning my siblings.

“Be safe out there, Big Sister,” the eight-year-old said, looking up at me with wide eyes that would melt anyone’s heart.

“Of course I will, don’t worry.” I patted her head again. “I’ll be back soon, Xiaodan.” I hope.

She gave me a nod, but she didn’t look convinced. I suppressed a sigh at the situation. At this rate, the poor girl’s going to have abandonment issues.

With that, I turned to Alaster. Before he could try to evade, I caught him in a hug. “Take care of yourself, Al.”

“You too, sister.” When we let go, there was no hint of mischief in his expression for once.

Finally, I squared my shoulders and set off, not looking back at the palace. A small procession formed around me. There hadn’t been a big announcement, and we were using side paths, but the guards all looked immaculate, walking in formation with their uniforms in order.

From the palace, we headed for an extension that lay at an angle to it roughly in the direction of the city. An enclosed space with a dock that extended into the river and rows of cranes and warehouses filled one side. Set apart a little, there was a large open yard, lined with more warehouses, stables and even stone-paved courtyards inscribed with runic formations. The guards led me to this side.

I looked around at the people bustling about. This had to be the palace’s main transport hub, with goods and people coming in from all over the Empire. I stared at the airships, some grounded and others bobbing on anchors, all of them in creative shapes and shining with qi. Then a roar directed my gaze to the closest stable, where huge spirit beasts munched on some sort of hay.

“Aston, why don’t people just use spatial items?” I asked quietly.

“Those are expensive, Your Highness, at least those with any capacity. Besides, one would still need to transport them. Spirit beasts can carry a lot of weight and fly themselves.”

That made sense. Plus, there was probably an industry of transporting people, too, and living things didn’t do well with spatial magic, from what I’d heard.

Our conversation ended when we reached my transport. It was an airship, built out of wood that blazed with qi, and decorated with many carvings, gold inlay, and colorful fabrics. I’d seen pictures of traditional models, back when the Empire of the Sky was still mostly famous for its tamed flying beasts and air travel. This looked retro, I supposed.

I’d already taken a few steps when I paused and looked back. Of the guards going into the airship and waiting on me, only half sported familiar faces, all of them in the fifth realm. Strangers that were at least as strong accompanied them. Aston hadn’t moved.

“I apologize, Princess Inaris,” he said when I turned back, and bowed. “I will not be accompanying you, as I have been sent on another assignment.”

For a moment, I just stared at him. “But why not?”

“It is not my place to question Her Majesty’s orders, but I assure you she has good reasons. Rest assured, my place will be taken by a cultivator better suited to the task.”

I frowned. The way he said that gave me a suspicion. “That other cultivator is more powerful than you, then? So, is this an issue of rank?” I guess it would be awkward if he remained in command while a higher-ranking soldier joined the team, but they couldn’t very well downgrade him.

Aston smiled a little. “As always, you mind proves sharp, Your Highness. I wish you good luck.” With that, he got on one knee, giving me a formal salute. Then he stood and left.

Sighing, I entered the airship, looking for a good place amid the luxury. I couldn’t muster much excitement for the journey. The lack of all familiar people only heightened my anxiousness.

I spent most of the trip on the top deck, looking out through a large window at the landscape, and thinking. They’d barely given me enough time to pack, and I felt unbalanced by the sudden change.

I hadn’t even gotten laid in the time I’d spent at the palace. I snorted at myself. That was one thing I had intended to do.

But I had more important concerns. Like the fact I’d have to contend against disciples who’d spent all their life learning to fight. Even a single loss to someone who wasn’t stronger than me could damage my reputation, and that of the Imperial family. Mother had really set me a challenge.

The airship made good time, and soon we were passing from the plains bisected by the river into hills that quickly grew steeper. I would’ve expected the sect to have its seat in the mountains of the Imperial homelands — it was an old one, like most air and sky focused ones — but apparently, they’d moved at some point, a few hundred kilometers to the edge of the central plains.

Finally, the airship lost altitude. I leaned forward and squinted through the window. We headed down next to a big stone enclosure, near a path that led to a settlement further down. Beyond the wall, I could see the tops of forested mountains, though they weren’t big enough to sport glaciers or rocky peaks. But there were a few colorful tents set up near the entrance in a grid, with uniformed people bustling around. I could make out the Imperial phoenix and the Leri dynasty’s colors, silver and blue.

When I came down to the open ground floor of the airship, I paused. A group of people in uniforms (that still looked like cultivator’s robes) waited for me. They were all powerful. A few other guards converged on my back and sides.

I stepped forward carefully, evaluating the soldiers. One of them stood in front of the rest, a woman that looked younger than most of them, with black hair and a sharp face. Her aura was banked, but not hidden, and I’d guess she had reached the beginning of the seventh stage.

When I came to a halt in front of them, she dropped to her knees, then the floor, performing a formal kowtow. The rest copied her.

“Please rise,” I hurried to say.

They stood gracefully. “Your Highness, Imperial Princess,” the woman greeted me. “This San Hashar has been entrusted with ensuring your protection among the Carmine Cloud Sect. With these soldiers, no assassin or other threat will come near you.”

“That’s good to hear, San Hashar,” I replied. Should I address her with a military rank? But which one? “Let’s discuss things while we walk.”

It felt weird being guarded by people other than Aston and his team, although a few of my old guards remained. I noticed Kei Weriga and Lirta Ven, a man and woman in the late fifth stage. At least I’d learned all of my regular guards’ names. I should probably do the same with the new ones.

San Hashar explained their arrangements while we walked up to the sect’s compound. Apparently, they’d supplement the sect’s normal security measures with guards patrolling on the outside as well as some watching me on the inside. Those would probably not follow me around, but they were high level enough that they’d be able to detect any threat and arrive in a matter of moments to deal with it. If I understood her correctly, she also implied that they’d keep themselves hidden for the most part, which was just as well.

Throughout the explanation, my new minder remained stiff and formal. I couldn’t help but think she resented being sent to babysit me, being in the seventh stage and all, and covered it with politeness. She probably has a point. Does Mother have a reason to use an entire elite unit for guarding me, beyond the usual?

The sect’s gates stood open and led us onto a wide path lined with artfully curated bushes. It soon terminated at a cluster of buildings. There were a number of carriages parked close to the path, and I could see a small crowd of people. Nervously, I smoothed down my robe. I still wore the one I’d conducted my research in, but it was enchanted for self-cleaning and self-repair, so I didn’t feel too shabby. I never thought I’d actually want school uniforms, but in this setting they’d be helpful.

It didn’t take long until we were noticed. Well, the soldiers didn’t make for an inconspicuous entrance. But before we even came close to the central building, probably an administrative center, my eyes were drawn to a man flying in above. He wore blue and white robes, had a topknot and felt like the sixth stage. I didn’t even feel an impact in the ground when he touched down in front of us.

“Your Highness, I bid you welcome to the Carmine Cloud Sect.” He bowed. “I am Elder Zun. It is my responsibility to see our new arrivals settled in. Of course, the Imperial Princess will not need to be processed like a normal disciple.”

I inclined my head. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, honored elder. I would not want to impose on the elder and the sect on my first day. I intend to join the group and let you return to your duties.”

The elder looked at me for a moment, before he bowed lightly again. “As you wish, then.” With a swirl of air, he was off again.

I started walking, then paused after a few steps. “San Hashar, I believe it is best I proceed alone now.”

The soldier quirked an eyebrow. “Are you quite sure, Your Highness?”

“Yes.” My tone was firm. “I do not need soldiers babysitting my every step. I am quite capable of handling myself against new disciples if it comes to that. Besides, it’s not as if you could not be at my side in less than a second if need be.”

For a moment, our gazes held, then she bowed her head with a slight smile curling her lips. A moment later, her presence was gone. I exhaled and continued walking. Did I just earn a bit of respect?

Still, I couldn’t just join the group of new disciples. Some of them had seen the soldiers escorting me, and their gazes would have been enough to clue the rest in that something was off. As I approached, the people in my way, both disciples and assorted servants or whoever had brought them here, made way for me. It took a moment until I realized the looks were probably due to my strength. I hadn’t tried to hide my cultivation, and being at the fourth stage at such an age would make me stand out anyway. From the looks of it, most new disciples were in their late teens, and I could barely pass for twenty given my appearance.

Trying not to frown, I pulled my aura in a little. Not enough to truly hide it, since I didn’t want to deceive anyone, but a casual observer shouldn’t be able to tell now.

The elder made his appearance and led the group off a little way from the central building. While we gathered around, I still stood a little apart from the others. Some were already huddled in groups.

The elder proceeded to welcome everyone to the sect. I paid attention with one ear, but I’d heard better speeches from high school presentations. His was long-winded and flowery, packed full of references to various heroes I didn’t recognize, and he didn’t engage his audience at all. I stifled a yawn towards the end.

After a while of poetically heaping praises on the sect, the Elder finally passed out some goodies. Apparently, one was a jade slip containing the sect’s foundational art, the other a crystal drop housing a small storage space that included a few pills and mundane goods. I inspected mine closely. About half a cubic meter of space. My own storage ring contained fifty cubic meters, in the form of a five by five by two meter room. I may have underestimated its worth.

“Now, follow me,” he commanded, and we shuffled off again.

I made my way through the group until I was closer to the front, glancing around. Everyone eyed each other warily. This brought back memories of the first day at a new school, except that strong and bloody competition would be expected. Yeah, this is going to be worse than your typical high school. Most of them were dark-haired, I spotted only one fellow blond in the crowd of thirty or so. Their clothing varied, although most of it was clean and decorated, with people even wearing jewelry. A few kids looked a bit rough around the edges, though, maybe the obligatory commoner scholarship students.

The path quickly took us to a cluster of houses. Unlike the medieval Chinese dwellings I’d expected, these looked more like modern apartment blocks, if those had highly symmetrical hedge and flower gardens around them.

“This is the domicile of new Outer Disciples,” the elder said. “For the first four months, you will be bound to stay there. You will take care of your own accommodation. Get settled in now. The first lesson starts at dawn.” With a dramatic swirl of his robes, the elder turned and flickered away.

Well, then. I cycled a bit of qi into my legs and dodged around people so I’d be one of the first ones through the door. I assumed we’d fight each other for better rooms. I could challenge someone, but I’d rather just pick my spot in peace, and hope they would back off.

There were only two floors in this building. Judging from the quality and spacing of the doors, the rooms got better the farther in the other direction you went. I hurried up the stairs at that side to find the pattern continued. At the end of the room, there was a bit of space before five doors with more ornate frames and carved handles dominated the hallway. When I focused on my qi senses, I could make out a hidden stairwell behind the wall off to one side. The stairs contained slight traces of qi that were probably only visible to students you’d consider very perceptive. At least, from what I could sense, only one of the prestigious suites was claimed already.

Really, I’d prefer to just take a room somewhere in the middle and ignore the whole thing. But my slight taste of anonymity couldn’t last long, and as the princess, I needed to keep ‘face’. Oh well, not like I object to having a nicer place. So I opened the door in the middle and inspected my new domicile. A small suite with an attached bathroom and a set apart space for cultivation or training. It was furnished with a nice but not particularly special bed, divan, desk, and chairs. If it wasn’t for the mob outside, I’d probably feel more at home here than in my luxurious, servant-infested rooms at the palace.

I sat on the mat they’d laid on the floor and started a light meditation, trying to calm my nerves. The qi flowing around the place was at least good, since the afternoon sun shone through the large window and the secluded niche threw some deep shadows. Slowly, I settled.

Until I became aware of the hostile presence approaching. My eyes flew open, and I stood and opened the door just in time. My eyes flickered over the group, assessing their threat. One teenage boy in my face, a few other people lingering behind him. Nothing too worrying.

“Yes?” I inquired, slowly lifting an eyebrow and not bothering to hide my inspection.

The teenager scowled. His pants and shirt were dark, of a simple cut, and I could see where someone had mended a few holes. His hair couldn’t have seen a comb in days. He was good looking, if you liked teenage boys. By his aura, I’d guess somewhere in the early to middle third stage. Considering he couldn’t be older than nineteen, that was actually impressive.

“I’ve come for your room,” he declared. “Be a good little lady and hand it over, unless you think you can take me.”

“Really? Are you seriously trying to challenge me?”

“Nobles,” he spat. “I think it’s time for you to learn some humility, sparkles. Here, people don’t have to bow to your fancy looks.”

I shrugged, trying to hide the way my heart started racing at the prospect of a fight. “Fine.”

Not being an idiot, I’d started drawing in qi as soon as I saw him. Now, I released it, a spear of shadow forming in my hand to strike at the boy. He dodged to the side, creating some distance.

Immediately, he fell into a fighting stance. The next second, a rock came flying at me. I conjured some shadow armor to absorb the hit, gritting my teeth at the impact. I needed to limit my strength to the third stage, because people would be watching and know of my strength later. I had to show that I could beat him fairly even if I didn’t need to. At least both of us were careful of the surroundings.

The next attack was quickly followed by the boy himself, fist flying. This time, it was my turn to dodge. I spun away and slashed at his side with a dagger of darkness, but a cloak of fire ignited around him and repelled the attack.

The next instant, I formed a spike of shadow under him. The boy jumped to clear it. I was already there to meet his landing, a flash igniting in my hand. Just at the moment of impact, he faltered for a moment. I took advantage, throwing him to the ground with a well placed foot and push.

He threw dust into my face, but I closed my eyes and powered through, letting the shadows in the corridor lengthen into chains to hold him down. He burned them off, but it gave me enough time to pin him down, enveloping his fire with more darkness. Then I summoned a dagger from my ring and leveled it at his face, crushing another rock in my left hand before he could finish it.

“Do I need to start drawing blood?” I asked.

He turned his face away. “I yield.”

I stood and backed away, giving him space to stand up. He was probably untrained, even the little bit of martial arts I remembered from Earth or learned in Ling Ta’s sessions a match for his experience. I felt a bit of tension flowing out of me at the realization that the old Inaris’ reflexes still gave me an advantage.

“Don’t bother me again,” I warned him. Then I paused before continuing, “and I’d advice you to choose your opponents better. Even if you don’t know who I am, I’m clearly stronger than you.”

He gave me another glare before taking off with his entourage. Shrugging, I went back into my room and resumed my meditative pose.

So. A spunky commoner. In most stories, I’d probably end up recruiting him, but screw that. He challenged a fourth-stager who didn’t really hide it, probably just for being a noble. He’s an idiot. I hate idiots.

But I had a feeling the rest of the disciples were going to be more of a challenge.

 

45