24: I have a PR problem
1k 5 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Which character, if any, would you like to see more of?
  • Empress Acura Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Alaster (brother) Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Xiaodan (sister) Votes: 32 39.0%
  • San Hashar (new guard) Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Leri Kariva (spy chief) Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Lorn Rhis (commoner boy) Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Aston (guard) Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Someone else, please specify Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No one, just the MC Votes: 17 20.7%
Total voters: 82

Just curious.

In other news, I finally have my mechanical keyboard back, and celebrated by writing more than I though I would. I still have two term papers and my birthday to worry about next week, but I'm confident I can post the next chapter Monday at the latest. After that, Wednesday and either Friday or Saturday. This is also my tentative update schedule going forward.

As always, let me know what you think, and thanks for reading!

I would have liked to stay longer and spend time with Al. Unfortunately, that wasn’t to be. Unlike his previous behavior, the new Alaster was withdrawn, preferring to spend time cultivating than talking to me. Or anyone. Also, Mother wouldn’t hear of it, sending me back to the sect the day after he awoke. Since that had happened so early, only a day after I returned, I didn’t get to spend much time at home before I faced the airship again.

This time, it would start from the pad atop the palace, not the transport hub further down. I had the feeling Mother didn’t want to draw attention to my short visit. That would require explaining that something had happened to Al, I supposed.

At least he’d come to see me off. After I finished hugging Xiaodan, who seemed to cling on longer every time I let her get her hands on me, I looked to him. He stood a bit farther away, hands in his pockets.

“You know, I’m not infectious,” I teased him. “You can hug me goodbye. I promise we won’t tell anyone.”

He snorted, but I saw a faint smile. “I guess I am tired of social distancing.” He stepped into my hug.

I hadn’t used that term at all, which confirmed that he really was from Earth and not too far into the future, if the pandemic was still going on. Once he was ready to talk about it, I’d ask.

Then it was time to face the music. I entered the airship, barely giving the opulent decor a second glance. It was amazing how quickly living as a princess desensitized one to luxury. Not that I had used the minibar or massage chairs.

Instead, I flung myself onto a divan on the observation deck. After watching the fortress and city shrink into the distance, I grew bored of looking out the window and rifled through my spatial ring.

There was a lot of stuff inside. Most of it I’d grabbed in preparation for my time at the sect. A lot of it things that might come in handy or save my hide in certain contingencies. But there were also a few things I’d kept because the old Inaris had valued them, a few less practical items. Chiefly, of course, books. I’d taken along a stack of novels I’d found in her collection.

This world’s version of science fiction was bound to be fascinating. So I chose a novel set in the future and cracked the book open. So far, I’d resisted the lure of fiction, since I had so much to do. But now I felt I’d earned a break.

I wasn’t prepared for the experience. Not because the book was bad or even all that strange. Although the style took a little getting used to, I enjoyed the story. But reading a story while having a perfect memory felt weird. I remembered everything, never had to wonder at a name or check back. More importantly, I could already tell that I wouldn’t forget even the most minor of twists.

Actually, this is a little depressing. I won’t be able to really reread a favorite novel. Usually, even if I knew the big surprises, there were always little things to re-discover. Now I’d basically absorb the entire novel. Well, maybe that just means I can reread it in my mind, without even needing the book.

These really had to be my predecessor’s favorites, though, worthy of being kept in the collection.

Just when the villain was about to crash the space station onto a floating island, we arrived. I hastily stowed the book and smoothed out my robes. I’d have to make time to finish the book soon, but for now, I hurried to the hatch, San Hashar gliding into place beside me.

No one was there to greet me. I looked around, taking note of the deserted road and single guard posted next to the gate to the sect. He stepped aside to let us enter, his face expressionless. I hurried up the path to the sect buildings, my reinforced body moving at a pace beyond the humanly possible. At some point, the guards around me dissipated, and when I came to the busier areas, I was alone.

Disciples went about their business, same as usual. It didn’t look like anything had changed in the two days I’d been gone. Although something felt a little off. Maybe it was the fact that no one seemed to care about my return.

I decided to go check on my room. I didn’t meet anyone on the way, and when I stepped into the building, I slowed down and let my senses for qi sweep it. Everything registered as normal. Slowly, I walked through the building, instead of taking the staircase.

A few times, I did see another disciple. But only for a moment. When they noticed me, they’d immediately turn back and vanish in their rooms. The few who were walking along the corridor just kept their heads down and kept their distance.

At least it didn’t look like anyone had been in my room. I checked it thoroughly, taking a few more items into my spatial ring. Just in case. I was definitely missing something here.

That feeling persisted. When I went back to the library, I received far less bows or other respectful greetings than usual. Maybe they were resentful that I could leave for days and come back without any problems. In the library itself, everyone continued to do their best to avoid me. Not that I minded the lack of curious onlookers, but those people who did watch me seemed less curious or starstruck, and instead, their looks struck me as darker.

But I put it out of my mind, instead concentrating on my studies. I still looked through the arts and techniques here in order to learn more about the world. But now, I also focused more on how I might use them, how they compared to Earth-technology solutions for the same problems. I had to restrain myself, though. I needed to concentrate on getting stronger. The eighth stage wouldn’t reach itself, and time showed no mercy.

So I returned to my favorite spot for cultivating. It was a hill sheltered by a few boulders, overlooking a waterfall. A few other disciples sat close to the pond at the lower end of the fall, eyes closed. They didn’t acknowledge me, and I gave them a wide berth since I didn’t want to interrupt their cultivation.

At least my spot was free. I settled down, feeling for the cracks in the boulders and pulling darkness out of them. I sank into my meditation, letting the qi of the world flow through me and taking it in.

Suddenly, the serenity was broken. I blinked and opened my eyes. Nothing looked wrong. I hadn’t concentrated on it, but I remembered the qi presence that had roused me. Someone had moved by close to me, sending out a burst of qi. Probably training some technique.

I frowned and stood up. Okay, what is going on? This might not be a big deal, but people would have been more careful of interrupting the Imperial Princess before. The disciple didn’t stick around, and I hadn’t gotten a good enough read to identify them. Maybe it wasn’t deliberate, but something was off.

I departed and walked through the sect, keeping my senses sharp. I didn’t imagine it, people were definitely avoiding me. They never did anything openly disrespectful, but the atmosphere had changed. The animosity left the hairs on the back of my neck prickling.

I returned to another secluded spot, between a grove of trees and the river. “What’s going on here?”

I looked around, but didn’t find anything. So I started to pace, trying to think about any clue I’d noticed.

After a few minutes, I felt a familiar presence coalesce, and turned to see San Hashar coming to a stop in front of me. Her right hand was clenched around something.

She bowed. “Your Highness.”

“Rise, San Hashar. I hope you have information for me.”

“Yes, my princess.” She straightened up. There was a frown line tugging at her eyebrows.

I noticed a few other shapes coming closer, veiled from sight but their qi standing out to me just enough to be noticed. I recognized them as guards. They formed a perimeter.

“I have investigated the change in behavior and attitude that seems to have come over the people in this sect,” she reported. “We did not find any outright threats to your person. However, the atmosphere has turned decidedly more hostile, and sect elders are reluctant to cooperate with us without being cowed. At first, I thought it was simply resentment over Your Highness’ departure and seeming ability to leave and enter it with impunity. I did find indications of jealousy in that regard.”

I nodded. “What exactly?”

“Mostly comments intended to be private and insinuations,” San Hashar said, her lip curling slightly. “The most explicit one was complaining about my lady ‘gallivanting around’ and ‘treating the seclusion of the sect as a joke’, or ‘rubbing in her position by flaunting her ability to leave when we can’t’.”

“I see.” I grimaced. “I hope those will die down with time. Their jealousy is understandable in principle, I suppose, but I’m a little surprised at the vehemence.”

San Hashar shook her head. “Ordinarily, I would expect them to die down, as well. But the fact that the disciples would utter such disrespect so readily roused my suspicion. I am quite sure that part of this issue is spillover from another source of resentment, one more dangerous. It took a while to ferret out, but I believe I have cracked the mystery.”

That didn’t sound good. “Do tell.”

“There has been resentment and derision starting shortly after our departure, along with seditious rumors, decrying Your Highness’ attitude and goals. The source was hidden, but I finally found this.”

She held up the item she’d been carrying. A small black ball, probably crystal, glowing with qi of different affinities. I recognized the type. This was a recorder of some kind. San Hashar fed it a bit of her qi, and it activated.

“People are people. I know that everyone has the same value and worth, that everyone has rights that need to be respected. The nobles and the sects, they think they’re better than that, many of them, don’t they? But they’re not, and things will change.”

What the freaking hell? I stared at the recorder, only remembering to close my mouth a moment later. I really hadn’t expected to hear my own voice resounding like this, repeating words I hadn’t given a second thought. The voice sounded more sinister than I remembered.

“I said this in the forest, intended for a spirit to hear,” I said. “No one else was near. Or so I thought. Where did this come from?”

San Hashar glanced away and bowed her head. “Unfortunately, this one was unable to pinpoint the source, Your Highness. My deepest apologies for the failure. It was hidden well. I do not believe many people actually heard this. Most of the effect would have been spread by rumors.”

“Not really an improvement, considering how rumors propagate.” I sighed and rubbed my temple. “I imagine the damage is done.”

“Most likely, my lady.” San Hashar straightened up and clasped her hands behind her back. “Most would not like the crown princess spouting such … untraditional sentiments.”

I swallowed, feeling a drop in my stomach. There was no reason to believe this would stay in the sect. I definitely have an enemy, someone is trying to hurt me. And now I have a PR problem.

“But I believe most nobles will dismiss the rumors as exaggerations or blowing up youthful naivete,” the soldier added.

I hope so. “But in the sect, they’re taken seriously.” I shook my head. “I would have thought at least the commoners would support me.”

At least San Hashar seems to be on my side. I guess she comes from a common background. The soldier spoke without any dialect, same as anyone I’d met in the palace, but that could be trained.

“Most likely, they’re afraid of openly supporting this view and attracting retaliation.”

Well, that just figures. I frowned down at the orb before tossing it back to the soldier. “Take this to Leri Kariva. She’ll want to try and trace where this move came from. There’s nothing else I can do, I fear.”

San Hashar tucked it into her robe and bowed. “Respectfully, you should prepare to face increased hostility towards your person in the sect, Your Highness.”

“I know, but I can deal with it,” I grumbled. “If they cross the line, I will beat them for it.” I considered. “Or have you fine soldiers beat them up.”

She fell in beside me as I started walking again. “There might also be an increased threat of assassins from outside, my princess.”

I glanced at the horizon, where I could make out the wall surrounding the sect. “That might be the whole point.”

Hopefully, Mother would let me go back soon.

39