Interlude — Tenira
219 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An interlude to give you a glimpse into Tenira's head and what's going on on the Earth Continent. This takes place during Chapter 100 (after its beginning but before its end).

I'll post the next regular chapter tomorrow, and then on Thursday, as usual.

As always, I appreciate feedback.

 

Leri Tenira looked out over the war camp, glancing at the tents’ worth of martial strength gathered beside the little town, ready to be ground up in the war of the millennium. It should have been an awesome display of power. But she turned away after a moment of checking that everything was as it was supposed to do, then kept walking through the improvised fortification they had raised beside it. She found it hard to care about the camp, or the soldiers in it, or even the guards discreetly following her.

She’d been preoccupied lately. And it’s not like there isn’t enough to distract me, she mused. Hajake’s betrayal comes to mind.

But that wasn’t why she’d been unfocused, or why anxiety and frustration were dogging her steps even now. That was all due to Inaris. Her lady, and her friend. Or perhaps it would be fairer to say that her state was her own fault.

Tenira exhaled deeply and received the salutes of a group of soldiers with an absent nod. She knew blaming Inaris was unfair, at least largely. She had reacted badly to what shouldn’t have been such a big deal, as she would say.

Tenira knew she’d hurt her friend with her reaction, and with avoiding her afterward. A bit of guilt had joined the shame and frustration boiling away inside her, mixed into an unpleasant stew. But she’d found herself falling back on her old behavior, on anxiety and avoidance. For all that she was usually a confident, outgoing woman who could hold her own in court or in her friendships, there was just something about Inaris that struck deep, at the heart of the issues she had with herself. She knew she should have just talked about things, but that didn’t help much.

And what would I even say? she thought with a sudden flash of anger. ‘I think you’re wonderful and beautiful and my heart beats faster every time you smile at me, but still I don’t want to be with you?’ How could I expect her to understand, when I don’t even understand myself?

She made an effort to smooth her expression as she turned onto the corridor to the meeting room. Last night, she’d finally gathered up her courage and gone to sleep hoping that Inaris would contact her. But there had been no contact.

If only Inaris didn’t have to leave and hide. It would be easier to do this in person. The Imperial Princess was the daughter of the Moon, and her power over dreams meant that she would be in control of the ‘meeting’ in a dream. That gave her a frightening amount of power over people’s minds, really, even if she didn’t use it. But that didn’t make things easier for Tenira.

If only I could just give her what she is looking for, she thought, not for the first time. But … I can’t. Tenira grimaced as long distant memories roused themselves, and quickly focused on the door to the room that she was about to open. She’d made peace with the idea that she’d never marry and be alone years ago. She just needed to remember that.

At least she knew her friend wouldn’t force her. That was one thing Tenira was absolutely sure of in this situation, if nothing else. She trusted her. Inaris wasn’t like her previous suitors, and not just because she was a woman or a princess.

A beautiful princess with a brilliant mind, hidden passion, a great sense of humor, and enough strength of will to change the world.

Tenira shook her head and forced herself to focus on the situation. Lei was just entering through the other door, and the others were already gathered, sitting in armchairs and on sofas. Yarani, Kajare, and their newest addition, Elia. She let her gaze pause for a moment on the local girl, who had her hands clenched tightly in her lap, looking between the other young people. She couldn’t even begin to fill the space where Inaris should be sitting.

“We’re all here, good,” Tenira said, settling down on another chair. “Kajare, do you want to start?”

“Alright,” Inaris’ husband answered. He frowned a little. “There’s not much to be said, though. Things haven’t changed much since the last time we talked.”

“That’s a good thing, right?” Yarani said, stretching as she lounged on the sofa. “Nothing new going wrong, and the two of you are doing well at establishing yourselves. Excellent.”

“You’re cheerful today,” Lei remarked, raising an eyebrow at her. “And is that a flush I see on your cheeks? My, my.”

The girl shrugged. “Yes, Inaris visited me in my dreams.”

Lei smirked, then smoothed his expression. Both of them looked at Tenira.

She forced a smile. “Tell her hello from us next time.”

Of course the others knew something had happened between them, and they seemed to be trying to gauge her reaction. Tenira found it easy to maintain her smile. She didn’t mind that Inaris visited her concubine. If anything, knowing that she had someone to support her during a difficult time was a small relief.

“I’ll have to sleep more often,” Kajare joked with a smile.

Tenira shook her head. It didn’t make her situation easier that Inaris was what her old aunt Bet would call a ‘hussy’, or ‘disgustingly promiscuous’. Although this world wouldn’t agree with that, since she could be a lot more debauched as an Imperial royal. More like her mother. How did the woman even find time for all her lovers, with being the Empress?

She forced her attention back to the present and cleared her throat. “If there are no concerns, do you think we should go ahead and poke Hajake again, see what more we can find out?”

There was a moment of thoughtful silence as the others considered this. Lei shrugged, and Yarani nodded slowly. Kajare took a moment longer, then nodded as well. “Yes, I think that’s for the best.”

“Alright, then.” Tenira turned her attention to Elia, who’d been quiet so far. “Are you fine with that?”

“Of course, my lady,” the girl replied, no hint of nervousness in her tone. “I promised to do my best to help you, and so I will.”

Tenira nodded. At least Elia’s Common had improved rapidly. A good thing that she was a low-level genius, as well. “Come along, then. Unless there are any objections?”

Kajare shook his head. “No. Hajake wouldn’t like to talk to me, and you’re the best choice when it comes to status and charisma. No offense, Lei.”

“None taken,” her friend replied, grinning. “I’ll gladly leave that sort of thing to you.”

Tenira stood, smiled at the others in goodbye, then quickly strode out of the room, Elia on her heels. They didn’t talk as they walked through the walls of the fortified command center, accompanied by a group of Imperial guards. Elia had a book in her hands and was leafing through it. Tenira recognized the Zarian-Common dictionary. She must have finished and memorized the two books on Common grammar already.

Tenira couldn’t help but be impressed. She herself knew five languages, but she’d never learned one this quickly. Whatever Elia’s background might be, her dedication couldn’t be faulted.

It didn’t take her long to find Hajake. As expected, the Terbekteri prince was in the part of the building that had been set aside for his people’s use, in a large sitting room with conference tables brought in. He appeared to be deep in discussion with his officers, although Tenira noticed that he didn’t seem particularly invested in their reports.

She bowed in greeting. “Prince Hajake. I trust this day finds you well?”

Hajake smiled with his customary suavity. “Lady Tenira! Always a pleasure. Yes, I am quite well. I hope the same goes for you?”

“It does,” she smiled back. “I was wondering if we could talk, if you have a moment to spare. I’d like to discuss the upcoming offensive some more.”

His smile thinned a little, but his tone remained cordial as he answered. “Of course. Would you accompany me for a walk?”

“It would be my honor.”

He offered her his arm. She accepted it and let him lead her from the room, with Elia following behind them. The gesture was a little familiar, but not overly so. She didn’t like how he emphasized treating her as a lady, with the associations that carried in Terbekteri culture, but perhaps she was being overly sensitive. Or perhaps he was actually considering courting her. That would be quite audacious given his plotting. She didn’t really believe so, but the thought made dealing with him even more unpleasant.

“I hope you don’t mind my companion coming along,” she said.

Hajake shook his head slightly. “Of course not. Being alone together would be improper, in any case.”

Tenira nodded, not pointing out the guards from both nations watching over them. “I do hope our improved integration of our forces will show its worth in the coming week. Even if it is only a probing offensive, the front lines have barely moved for weeks, and I think some change might be well-received.”

“Oh, I quite agree. I have high hopes for our new protocols and integration efforts.”

They turned a corner now, which allowed Tenira to get a quick look at Elia, who was nodded her head subtly.

They continued talking about military matters as they kept walking. Tenira had to admit, despite herself, that Hajake wasn’t a bad commander. He didn’t concern himself with details, preferring to leave that to his officers, but he seemed at least well aware of what was going on and was a competent strategist. Their conversation rarely touched on anything that would be considered controversial. She knew they were both taking the opportunity to sound out the other.

One they reached an enclosed courtyard, Tenira slowed down. “Perhaps we could sit? It is a nice day.”

Hajake agreed readily, and they settled onto a bench. Elia chose a place not far from them, on Tenira’s side, where they could look at each other discreetly.

“I appreciate your willingness to humor me, Prince Hajake,” she said.

“Not at all, my lady,” he answered with another smile. “It is always a pleasure to talk with you. And may I say, you have done quite well in the unfortunate situation you suddenly found yourself in.”

Tenira suppressed a smile, pleased that the conversation was heading in the right direction. “Yes, Inaris’ disappearance has been quite an unpleasant shock,” she agreed. “It must have affected you, too. You are family as well, after all.”

Hajake’s smile looked a little stiffer this time. “Yes, of course. It is quite troubling. I do hope we can recover my sister-in-law quickly.”

She noticed that Elia was shaking her head slightly. Not that she needed her to know that Hajake was lying through his teeth.

“Don’t we all?” she said. “I do appreciate your offer of help in our search.”

“I wish you would take me up on that,” Hajake said. “I appreciate your concerns about alerting the Zarian and sending soldiers into danger, or provoking an unfavorable fight, but all the same.”

Tenira cocked her head slightly. “So you believe she is still alive? I know many think that she must have been killed.”

He grimaced slightly. “It is a rather troubling possibility. I wish I knew, of course.”

Tenira almost stiffened as she saw Elia shake her head just a little. His last sentence was a lie, or close enough. That must mean he already knows, or believes he does.

“But what is your personal opinion?” she asked, deciding to push a little.

“Well, of course I still hold onto hope. If you ask me, your lady is alive.”

A slight nod. He knows she’s alive. Tenira leaned forward a little. “I pray that is true. If she does live, where do you think she might be?”

Hajake shrugged. “I really couldn’t say.”

Another slight nod. He didn’t know Inaris’ location. That was something, at least. Tenira leaned back again and fought the urge to smile.

“Well, her father is the Moon,” she said with forced lightness. “He’ll guide her home, won’t he?”

Hajake’s hands clenched just a little on the wood of the bench. “Of course. The Moon’s will will prevail.”

The frown on Elia’s face was quite stark, even if she only let it last for a second. Luckily, Hajake didn’t look in her direction. But Tenira took note of it. Hajake disliked the Moon, or was set against him in some way. Perhaps he did have the Storm’s support. But Tenira couldn’t think of a good way to work getting confirmation into the conversation without making him suspicious.

“Well, there’s little more we can do but wait,” she said with a little sigh. “We’ll just have to focus on the war. Speaking of, what do you think of the Velisha’s notion to move their headquarters again?”

“It’s their business,” he replied. “The Velisha might be the strongest of the Empire’s vassals, but they are quite weak. If not for their strategic location, they would be of no consequence. They won’t move an important base to the combined war effort without our permission, in any case.”

Tenira shifted a little to look at him more directly. She didn’t need confirmation now. “You have a point there,” she agreed with a self-deprecating smile.

“They do have their uses, but I wouldn’t treat any of them as equals, would you?”

“Quite right,” she nodded. “Although their royals can be quite useful, here in the region.”

“Of course,” he agreed.

In the periphery of her vision, she noticed Elia nodding, her eyebrows drawn together. Tenira smiled at Hajake. “Of course, you need to pay attention to such things, as a senior Prince of the Terbekteri. I expect you’re slated for great things with your Kingdom. Perhaps even the throne? I’m not quite sure how such things work there.”

“Oh, I assure you my ambitions are modest,” he responded with a chuckle. “My father will choose the best of my older brothers, I’m sure.”

“Of course, I didn’t mean to offend, Your Highness.”

“My lady, you could never offend me.” He smiled.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

After a moment, his smile faded and he stood up. “I should get back to work. It was a pleasure to talk to you, lady Tenira. Please feel free to call on me again.” He bowed slightly, then turned away.

Tenira waited until he was gone before she stood as well, suppressing a sigh, and went to Elia. “I suppose that went well.”

Elia nodded. “It was interesting, lady Tenira.”

Tenira took a moment to erect a qi barrier to ensure that their conversation remained private. “Would you give me the key points?” She hesitated for a moment. “And when we’re in private, you can call me Tenira.”

“Of course, Tenira.” Elia frowned thoughtfully. “I got a good read on him. He’s arrogant, he meant what he said about the Velisha. I assume he’s only using that prince. He knows the Imperial Princess is alive, but not much more. Not where. And he’s very ambitious, really. He probably wants to be King. I think he would do a lot for that.”

Tenira nodded. “So that’s probably his goal, in the end?”

“I think so?”

“Alright.” Tenira glanced around. “Let’s get back to the others and talk about this in more detail.”

Elia nodded and followed her as she started walking again, heading back to the room where they’d left the others.

Tenira barely noticed the soldiers they passed on the way. She was too preoccupied with her thoughts, pondering what they had learned. At least it allowed her to push her anxiety over the situation with Inaris to the back of her mind.

10