127: Due respect
153 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It seemed I’d underestimated what it meant to reach the fifth stage of cultivation before you were even twenty years old.

Going by my impressions of the people from the Adzurian upper crust I’d met so far, it was a big deal. Most of them were politicians, but some of them businessmen (and a few women). Though to be fair, those came from the really big companies and had more than a little political influence, and minor offices, as well. Many of them showed a degree of awe upon meeting me, and if I was any judge, not all of it was faked. Some were nervous, extremely polite, caution hanging in every word. Some were just plain terrified of me.

The man who I’d just talked to belonged to the latter group, and I had to suppress a sigh as he backed out of the room under several bows.

“Not even my own courtiers act like that,” I muttered. “Not that I’d have much patience if they did.”

Yarani snorted. She idly reached out a hand to smooth away some strands of hair that had fallen out of my hairdo, and I leaned into the brief touch.

The room we were sitting in was large and opulent enough it could have probably paid for all of my rooms in the Imperial palace by itself. A half-recessed doorway led into the rest of the suite, including the massive bedroom. Elia and the others were quartered nearby. We’d settled in okay, with only a few minor issues. I’d told the Adzurians that I didn’t take my consort along just to sleep in separate rooms. Not that we were likely to get much sleep during our stay in the city, anyway.

“We still haven’t talked to anyone who’s really in charge,” Elia complained, striding through the door of the adjacent sitting room and plopping herself down on a low table. “You haven’t even started negotiating for anything with their politicians.”

I leaned back in my chair, stretching. “I’ve been getting the lay of the land and laying groundwork. Besides, I think you might have the wrong idea about this.”

“Why?” Yarani asked, looking up.

“They might think so, but their government doesn’t have the stuff we want,” I explained. “Not really. Most of their technology, especially the parts I’m interested in, are developed and produced by private companies. Those hold the patents, not the government. They might pass regulations or try to interfere, especially if we deal with smaller players, but the government isn’t really in control of their tech.”

“Huh,” Elia said. “I guess I can see what you mean, but it seems a little weird.”

I shrugged. “I’ve been careful about this kind of thing on our side. Eventually, it’ll be more like it is here, I suspect. It should, in all honesty. But the current situation in the Empire makes it easier to ensure that our inventions aren’t getting out.”

“You don’t actually want to trade them away,” Yarani said, frowning.

“I think there are enough other cards I could play,” I said. “Giving companies favorable positions for trading with the Empire, if it comes to that. Or just selling our older formations and items. Really, maybe even food. With the war on the continent, I suspect they wouldn’t mind finding a steady source of food supplies.”

The land in the Chain wasn’t well suited to farming, generally speaking. Even with cultivation, their arable land and fishing wasn’t enough to support their population, which had grown quite large. So they were reliant on importing food from the continent. Of course, this didn’t usually present much of a problem.

“The Adzurians thrive on trade,” Elia said. “The Federation and the Zarian switch between hostile and friendly at the drop of a hat, and the Dominion and the Empire have always hated each other. Adzur gets a lot out of being the middleman.”

“And no country seriously pursues hostilities with them,” I agreed. “Doesn’t mean fields being burned or even their smaller sovereign trade partners getting to feel the sword won’t affect Adzur. Still, food is only one option.”

“This is all just a side issue,” Yarani cut in. “You’re not here for trade, are you, Nari?”

“No, there are other concerns” I admitted, sighing softly. “I’ve been letting the priesthood wait on me, but I should start talking to them soon.”

“I’ll go with you, if you like,” Elia offered. “At least for the way there, I should probably go see if the Sun has a temple here.”

I nodded and stood up, stretching a little. Then I glanced at Yarani. “Do me a favor and keep talking to people, okay? Pull Lei away from whatever he’s doing if you need to get some expert opinion on what tech we actually want.”

She nodded. “Will they even want to sell it to us? You said the government might regulate it?”

I frowned thoughtfully. “I don’t think that’s the larger issue, to be honest. Adzur does push its companies not to reveal their tech, but the real reason they still have their monopolies is probably self-interest. After all, you can make a lot more money if you control the supply, in the long run.”

“So we need to give them something that’s worth the probable loss,” she concluded. “Like other sorts of monopolies or long-term benefits. Trade concessions or something?”

I smiled and resisted the urge to kiss her. “I knew there was a reason I kept you around, beyond your pretty face,” I joked. “But, yes, assuming you can’t bait them with more short-term gains. Sometimes greed gets the better of sense.”

“Great!” Elia sprang up. “If you two lovebirds are done, can we go? I didn’t sign up for this just to listen to talk about economics. Zarian propaganda would be more interesting than that.”

I rolled my eyes and gave Yarani a quick goodbye kiss, just to annoy Elia, before we left.

I guess I’m actually more comfortable here than talking with the Terbekteri, I thought to myself. I never cared much for economics, but this isn’t exactly intricate investment portfolios.

“So, you like their system,” Elia commented.

I gave her a sideways glance and shrugged. “It’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a free market in this world. Don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t make it ideal. There are downsides to a pure market economy, just as there are benefits. But it’s still a lot better than the mess we have in many parts of the Empire.”

“I only got half of what you are saying,” Elia said, shaking her head. “Isn’t what people can buy and sell already pretty free in the Empire?”

“I guess,” I said. “It’s more like this is a more advanced version. There’s barely a concept of intellectual property in the Empire, if you exclude secret cultivation arts and the like. That’s kind of the point — the changes I’m envisioning, and those which are coming anyway because of new technology, just won’t work out well without corresponding socio-economic structures.”

“Alright, that’s enough.” Elia put her hands on her hips, which might have looked more impressive if we weren’t walking quickly down a hallway of the mansion they’d provided us for accommodations. “No more talk of economy, or society, or anything. I dare you to say no more until we reach our destination.”

I rolled my eyes, but nodded. That was easy enough. I just wished most challenges I faced were like that.

Outside, Aston had arranged a carriage for us. He smirked at me just a little, but I pretended not to see it, before the vehicle captured my attention. It didn’t run on gasoline, but it had a battery that stored qi. I focused my senses on it as we got moving, watching the mechanism’s inner workings as well as I could. Could probably reproduce this, given enough time. Impressive and intricate, but not too groundbreaking.

Traffic was surprisingly easy to navigate, although I caught a few instances where other vehicles waited to let ours pass. I wasn’t sure if that was Aston’s doing, or the type of carriage, or what. I sensed familiar presences in the two ahead of and behind us, my guards riding escort. From here, the city seemed even stranger. We only passed over bridges that were broad enough to accommodate our vehicle, but there was a reasonably straight path to our destination. I looked out over the colors and flickering signs, drinking in the city. Most of those seemed to be advertisements, which figured. I hadn’t had much time to familiarize myself with the Adzurian language, but Imperial Common seemed to be the second language of choice in most of the places here, probably because it was commonly used for international trade. Many signs or inscriptions had a Common translation.

The trip didn’t take long. I leaned forward, watching through the window, as the ersatz car started its approach over a long stone bridge with intricate carvings, most of them religious symbolism. Like spokes on a wheel, other bridges grew out of a rocky emplacement, and all of them led to small islands bearing large structures that sported tall walls.

We were pulling up besides the bridge to what I could sense what Rijoko’s temple, and it felt like we were already entering temple grounds, if the currently open gatehouse and symbols hadn’t clued me in.

“I guess this is where I hop off,” Elia said, knocking against the carriage even though the guards were already slowing to a stop.

I raised an eyebrow.

She sighed. “Fine, you completed my challenge. Just my luck that we wouldn’t have to face an assassin on this trip. I figured you were overdue.”

I snorted. “With companions like these, why would I need enemies?”

“Oh, knock it off.” She opened the door and turned to go, but cocked her head. “What were you thinking about, anyway?”

I shrugged. “Wondering if it would count as blasphemy if I destroyed that bridge.”

“Only you, Inaris.” Elia snorted, then hopped out of the carriage. “Already reconsidering your stance on enemies. Good luck.”

“Hey, thinking about it doesn’t mean I was actually going to do it,” I retorted with a scowl, though she was already walking away. I rolled my eyes. “Get us moving, Aston.”

Despite the path being empty of other people, nothing barred our passage, not even wards. The guards parked the vehicle in a paved parking space close to the entrance, and I hopped out. Looking at the marble facade, white with black veins, I suppressed a shiver. I’d never felt Rijoko’s power in a place more acutely, although full moon was tomorrow.

Only Aston accompanied me as I strode to the double doors, which looked like white marble as well. They didn’t open. Frowning, I stretched out my senses. Nothing out of the ordinary.

“Oh, come on,” I said. With an exertion of will, my qi moved, reaching out to the qi inside the gates, and they creaked open.

I entered the temple, finding my senses sharpen just a little in contrast to what the dimly lit room should have effected. The entrance hall wasn’t empty, at least, though the few priests only gave me quick glances before hurrying on. The worshipers, wearing clothing of varying styles and qualities, seemed less wary. I didn’t waste time on any of them, but strode forward. We emerged in an enclosed courtyard, with the main temple just ahead, one big hall of pillars whose roof looked like someone had only built it halfway to let in the light of the sky. Everything about this temple was big, and I could sense what had to be several hundred presences on the premises, even just counting the temple proper and not the outlying gardens.

Aston at my side casting wary looks around, I stalked forward, passing by pillars and side altars. A few younger priests, or perhaps acolytes considering their simple robes, made to get in my way, but shrank away after I gave them a glare and a pulse of my aura.

I almost got to what would have been the inner sanctum in another temple before a priest finally stopped me. “My lady,” he began, then hesitated.

“Do you know who I am?” I asked.

He swallowed and nodded. “Yes, Imperial Princess.”

“You will take me to the high priest now,” I ordered.

He bowed his head and fidgeted. “My lady, the high priest -”

Now.

There was a taste of qi in my voice now, a hint of something not quite human. The priest jerked and hastened to turn and lead me into the building to the right. I passed through the wards without taking the time to analyze them beyond the prickle on my skin, hurrying towards the strongest presence I could see. He was behind a door carved with moon iconography and formations, which led into a room filled with the scent of incense and a stone altar, light shining down from several open spots in the walls and ceiling. In contrast to the rest of this temple, the room seemed almost spartan, with bare walls and no other fixtures. At least if you only relied on material senses.

“You have some nerve,” I said evenly, as the door closed behind me. “Letting me come to you like this.”

High priest Moongrace – they all took new names upon joining the priesthood here, and I wasn’t pronouncing the tongue-twister that was its Adzurian version – was dressed in a pure white robe with strands of silver and gold woven in and a large crescent moon amulet around his neck. He looked like he was in his fifties, but weathered, with deep wrinkles beneath his neat salt-and-pepper hair and beard, though his gaze was alert and penetrating. He bowed elegantly. “Your Highness. If you had sent word you were coming, we could have arranged a reception suitable to your rank.”

I snorted, pacing forward slowly. Moongrace was almost in the eighth stage, probably a half-step into it, but he didn’t even register as a threat to me.

“You knew I would be coming,” I replied. “I anticipated that you’d be trying to curry favor, to get my support of your organization here. If your objective was to confuse me, I have to admit you had some success.”

There was the barest flicker on his face. Maybe he did want to get me to speak for them, then? If so, playing power games was stupid, although I supposed he could have been thinking of me as just a young girl who’d be easy to cow.

“I am sorry if you are confused, Your Highness,” he said. I saw wounded pride in his expression, maybe a hint of anger, as he continued to talk in a faintly condescending tone. “It would, of course, be my pleasure to provide you guidance for navigating our customs.”

“Oh, really?” I drew out the word.

“Of course.” He smiled thinly. “As high priest of Rijoko, providing guidance to all who come to our temples in search of wisdom is my area of expertise.”

“Oh, you did not just say that.” I crossed my arms. “Guidance? It doesn’t seem like you could guide a child to cross the street safely. I wonder what Rijoko’s angle for leaving you in place here is.”

Now there was a real spark of anger in his expression. “You should choose your words with care, Princess Inaris,” he said. “Insulting his high priest and openly questioning the Moon’s will like this could be seen as blasphemy.”

I barked a short laugh. “While I am in this city, priest,” I said softly, “blasphemy is whatever I am not alright with.”

There was a moment of silence. “You might claim to be his daughter, Princess, but your arrogance is staggering.”

Claim to be his daughter?” I snorted and moved forward. “Let us see if your attitude can withstand a test, then.”

I took a few candles and incense sticks and placed them on the altar, lighting them with a wave of my hand. The high priest stood beside me, obviously tense, but he clearly didn’t dare interfere.

“Father,” I murmured. “I am here. Show me what is my due.”

The high priest cleared his throat and recited a chant in his native language, the intonation throwing me off enough that I understood only a few words, while he sent some of his qi towards the altar.

My connection to Rijoko had felt like it was vibrating just slightly in the back of my mind since I passed the gate. Now it was opening up a little, the connection growing stronger. I felt the room around us almost come alive as the formations set into its walls activated, at the same time as the brazier on the altar lit and qi swirling of light and darkness, bright nights and shadowed eclipses, whirled into the room. I felt the high priest grow even tenser behind me and pale as his gaze darted through it. I only smiled, feeling suddenly more alive in a way that was hard to describe, as my qi once more interacted with a force greater than itself. The change in the air condensed, and a weight started to bear down on the room. Beside me, Moongrace bent, and I caught the edges of something pressing down on him.

I will be coming to speak to you,” I told my father with my voice and my mind. “We are overdue for a chat. Do prepare to actually talk to me.”

There was a pause. ‘Accepted. Come,’ the qi said.

Looks like I might have been right, a corner of my mind noted. It could be easier, or at least less power intensive, to speak in a temple of his.

The presence withdrew shortly after. I caught Moongrace shivering, still bent and looking like he was only just stopping himself from falling to his knees. What happened to his aura was more severe. The Moon might have been taking the power this manifestation had cost him from the high priest. Well, if that isn’t a clear sign of displeasure.

“It seems you might have forgotten who the servant is here,” I said in a pleasant tone, as the last of Rijoko’s attention withdrew. “I trust this reminder was adequate.”

“Yes,” the priest gasped out, straightening and wiping his sweaty forehead on his sleeve.

I could have stopped there, but I felt like it might be a good idea to impress this point even further. He was never going to like me, and entrenched arrogance might come back quickly, so perhaps I should keep making the limits clear while I was here. I couldn’t tell if that idea was a helpful hint from Rijoko’s lingering connection or my own. But the difference might not be all that big, here of all places. And isn’t that just a disquieting thought?

“In the future, you will greet me properly, on your knees,” I said. “And make sure I am attended appropriately when I choose to visit a house of my father, as well as treat me with the respect and deference due from a priest. No matter how high he might be playing games in worldly affairs.”

The high priest hesitated for a moment. “My lady,” he muttered. He knelt and pressed his forehead to the floor.

I smiled brightly. “A delightful conversation, Moongrace. Now let’s move on.”

8