170: Consolidation and control
134 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked out into the sunset, which was currently dyeing the hills to the east in soft tones, and sighed. Clouds were gathering again for a storm, though it looked like this one was going to be a normal weather phenomenon, at least.

“I wish you didn’t have to go,” I said.

Kiyanu smiled wryly. “I need to, though. Someone needs to be back in the capital to talk with ambassadors, send envoys, and wrangle diplomats and officers.”

“I wasn’t disputing that,” I said, shaking my head. “I just wish you could stay. I know you’re needed. And I certainly don’t want to do it in your place.”

“Don’t take this the wrong way, Inaris, but I doubt you would do as well as I at this.”

I grinned. “I know, I definitely wouldn’t. That’s why you’re regent, and I’m hopefully going to learn to do better in time.”

“As soon as the war is over and I actually have you in the capital for any length of time, I’ll make sure to teach you.” His face sobered, and he sighed softly. “It almost feels presumptuous even to say that. Your mother should be the one to do that.”

I turned so I faced him more fully, feeling my own expression stiffen. “Yes,” I said softly. “But she’s not here to do it. And given what it means for my younger siblings, I’d feel silly complaining about how much I need her.”

Kiyanu took a step closer and laid a hand on my shoulder. “Needing her for practical or personal reasons is a little different, but both are valid, and you’re allowed to feel that way, Inaris.”

I turned, dislodging his hand, and gave him a sardonic look. “Thank you for the pep talk, old wise one.”

He backed off slightly, smiling. “Alright. Anyway, you should be on the alert for possible fallout from the international stage here, too.”

“Right. Like I said, this is going to be a headache and a half. With the Dominion’s leaders and its most powerful fighters gone, not to mention the way it seems to be teetering, of course other countries are going to try to take chunks of the new booty.” I twisted my lips. “I’d say something snide about cultivators, but frankly, countries in my old world might not act much differently.”

Kiyanu nodded. “I’ll do what I can to discourage them, but there’s only so much we can do. Or should. If nothing else, the Dominion having other problems should help take some pressure off us.”

“Unless they decide to abandon the colonies completely,” I said.

“Maybe. That would be bad in the short term and disastrous for them in the long term. In any case, I think what we can and should realistically try for is an understanding with these foreign interests. At least with the most important ones. I think we have made good inroads with the Confederation, in case it or some of its members get grabby.”

I frowned. I didn’t like that idea, not just because it might amount to abandoning people in parts of the Dominion to the mercy of some foreign conquerors. On the other hand, I understood where he was coming from, and I knew he was right. “We can’t allow them to profit too much off this,” I said. “Or to just throw people to the wolves. But I get what you mean.”

Kiyanu shrugged. “It’ll be a balancing act, of course. This is really an example of what we were just talking about.”

“Well, I trust your judgment, for what it’s worth.” I sighed, shaking my head. “Safe travels, Kiyanu.”

“To you as well. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

He nodded to me one last time, then vanished, and I sensed him traveling away at great speed. He’d probably make it to Thousand Lights City before I found my way to where I wanted to go next. I stayed in the room for a moment, looking out the window again, before I turned and left, as well.

We’d already stayed in this town for far longer than we’d wanted to. But in the wake of the recent defeat, the generals were scrambling, trying to put together at least an approximation of a new army with which we could resume our march south. We couldn’t afford to dawdle. Every day that passed got the Dominion back into order and allowed Jideia to tighten his grip on it. We’d argued a lot about it, but ultimately decided to call a few eighth-stagers here, too. Even if they couldn’t fight directly, they still had quite a few potential uses, and couldn’t be countered by the Zarian eighth-stagers now.

I paused on a balcony spanning an inner courtyard, glancing down. A pair of them were just crossing it. The man looked up to meet my gaze and inclined his head. He was visibly old, with white hair and wizened skin, but still straight-backed, dressed in colorful robes. The woman looked younger, and by her darker skin and attire, trousers and a leather vest over a dark blouse, a native of the Forest Continent like Kiyanu. They were pretty characteristic of the people who’d come south in response to our call. I dimly remembered seeing the two of them at court, but I recognized them from the dossiers on all Imperial eighth-stagers I’d looked over. I really should look for some more detailed ones.

I swallowed a sigh and continued on. I really didn’t like that Kiyanu went and left them here with us, but I knew I should suck it up. None of the eighth-stagers coming were opposed to the Leri clan or the regent, and even if they were, they wouldn’t do anything here.

When I left the building, I slowed, glancing around. Aston and the rest of my guard detail still accompanied me, of course, dutifully keeping watch. Besides them, only a few soldiers hurried about, going about their business. I couldn’t sense any of my companions close by, except Elia, who was cultivating on a terrace on the other side of the mansion. Kajare had thrown himself into his work, dealing with the Terbekteri fighters who survived the battle, and Tenira was probably in the other military base, too.

“Aston,” I said quietly, and waited until he’d come closer. “Did you make sure everything was set up like I wanted?”

He inclined his head. “Yes, my lady. There were no major problems.”

“Good.” I smiled at him, then continued on. Aston fell into step beside me instead of going back to his position farther out.

There was more activity in the town than the mansion, I noticed. Clearly, even with the war, work still had to be done. People were cleaning up the aftermath of the recent storms, though I didn’t notice any real damage. They were probably used to this kind of thing here.

I focused for a moment, then kept walking at a good pace. Anyone looking at me would only see a plain brown-haired girl, and I pulled a bit of darkness qi over us to make people less inclined to notice us in the first place. It worked well enough, and we managed to avoid making a scene or disrupting everyone’s business. We didn’t have far to go, anyway. I stopped before one of the houses built almost right up to the mansion, glancing at the discreetly placed sentinels and runes anchoring the warding and defensive formations. Then I stepped up to the door. When I gave it an experimental tug, it opened with a low groan, and I stepped inside.

Two doors down the corridor, Elis waited for me. He was accompanied by a young woman I recognized, though she wore less shabby clothing this time. They both rose when I entered.

“Hello, Elis,” I greeted him in Zarian. “And Spark, wasn’t it? It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

The woman bowed. “And you, Your Highness.”

I studied her for a moment. I’d mostly recognized her by her aura. Although her features hadn’t really changed since the first time I’d met the Basement representative, she looked different. Her hair was brown now, and she must have used cosmetics to good effect, though I couldn’t see much sign of those now, which suggested this was her real appearance.

“You really called yourself ‘Spark’?” Elis asked, looking amused.

She shot him a look. “I told you that, didn’t I?” Then she turned back to me. “Please, my lady, take a seat, if you’d care to. Apparently we have things to discuss.”

“Yes, we should get down to business,” I agreed, settling down in a chair, while the other two did the same. Aston took position by the door. The room was sparsely furnished, almost bare except for the few chairs and the table in the middle, and didn’t have a window, so light came from a glowstone affixed to the ceiling.

“I hope you’re familiar with the current situation,” Elis began. The atmosphere in the room was sober, now, and both he and Spark wore serious expressions.

“I read your reports,” I answered. “Beyond that, I don’t know much. You can bring me up to speed if necessary.”

He nodded. “We will. Alright then, to start, let me just reiterate that the Basement’s resources are limited. We’re already leaning harder on our helpers and informers than usual. Given the current situation in the Dominion, most normal operations are harder, too.”

“But the Basement can recruit more people, can’t it?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spark took over, “but that’s not easy. Most of all, it’s not supposed to be quick. We still need to be sure who and what we’re dealing with and if they pose potential security risks. For now, we probably don’t have to worry much about Security Directorate agents, thank the spirits, but I wouldn’t go assuming that the Storm’s High Temple can’t make problems of the same sort.”

I nodded in understanding. It probably would be best to be cautious.

“So.” She leaned back in her chair and quirked an eyebrow. “From what Elis told me, you want us to give the Dominion a helping hand.”

Silence hovered in the room for a moment. I smiled slightly. “Close enough. What I have in mind is a more subtle and strategic approach than how you usually deal with your enemies, but the ultimate goal is still for the Dominion to fall.”

She nodded slowly. “Then your target is the High Temple?”

“That’s pretty much it.” I crossed my legs, projecting assurance. “I find that our generals are a little too hung up on the war against the Dominion’s armies. That’s understandable, of course; that is the kind of conflict they’re trained for. But this war is not just a clash of soldiers, or even nations, really. And failing to consider the Storm and his power base would be a fatal mistake.”

“That’s obvious enough so far,” Elis commented. “But from the way you’re speaking, I gather your generals are not involved in this scheme?”

I inclined my head. “I don’t feel that that’s necessary. Some agents of our intelligence efforts will be involved, of course. But I’m afraid the officers, and especially the nobles, might react in a less than mindful manner.”

“Which is why quite a few of them are currently in a meeting that’s slated to segue into a demonstration of your newest airplanes, and probably several arguments.”

I resisted the urge to flick my gaze to Aston. “I’ve heard somewhere that a good leader makes sure to keep their people busy.”

Elis snorted and Spark smiled in apparent amusement.

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” I continued, “but the way I see it, the current chaos and the High Temple’s position is, at least in part, an illusion. The great families still exist, even if they’ve lost their leaders. They still have quite a lot of power, and experienced politicians among their seventh-stagers.”

“Their problems are at least as much due to infighting as anything to do with the Temple,” Spark noted.

I nodded. “Precisely. Without the Princeps and black stage cultivators, the floor is open for new leadership. Which is why I’m talking to you. How likely is a new power block to form, and how much can we influence that?”

Spark frowned thoughtfully. “It is hard to say. The Basement could do quite a lot to influence events, but only in subtle ways. If there’s a faction properly consolidating, there won’t be much we can do about it.”

“That’s alright,” I said. “I’d prefer for us to be at least somewhat in control of the thing, but a naturally occurring alliance that gets enough backing will do in a pinch.”

The two of them exchanged a look. “You want a faction to act as a counterweight to the High Temple’s power?” Elis asked.

I smiled and pointed at him in a gesture they probably wouldn’t recognize. “Exactly. Ideally, I’d like to have both the high-tier citizens and the priests so twisted about and in each other’s business that they harm themselves more than us. People have a tendency to fight over the furniture even when the house burns down around them. I just want to give that tendency a nudge. And besides, keeping the Dominion’s infrastructure reasonably intact and functioning will be better for us in the long run.”

They frowned in thought. After a moment, Spark nodded. “I believe I see what you mean. Yes, that’s not a bad plan.”

“I’m glad.” I sat back upright and scooted forward a little. “So. Do you think the great families are amenable to playing with us?”

“Yes, I believe so. With the proper encouragement and careful handling. But it’s not like they can’t see that it’s ultimately in their own best interests. Do you want them united?”

“A few factions, nipping at each other’s heels, would be good, but one source of stability at least is needed.” I shrugged. “So, a winner, I suppose. Which one could we get to lead the dance most easily?”

Spark frowned slightly. “We can move the less exalted families more easily, but for this, something more ambitious is needed. But I think that should work. House Siranum we will be able to move. We have some ins.”

“Good. Is that the one you come from?”

She jerked upwards, narrowing her eyes. “I beg your pardon? I am speaking for the Basement.”

“I know,” I agreed, keeping my tone even. “And I’m also aware that the Basement has to have contacts and patrons among the high-tier families. In addition to some who tolerate its existence. You clearly weren’t sent here because you were born on a farm, ‘Spark’.” I let my tone cool a little. “Please don’t insult my intelligence.”

She looked at me for a moment longer, her nostrils flaring slightly, before she smoothed her expression and bowed in her chair. In the manner the Zarian high tiers would use, I noted. “Of course, Your Highness. I apologize if I’ve given any offense, that was not my intention.”

“None taken,” I replied pleasantly.

“You were right in your guess,” she said, her lips quirking slightly. “I’m Vana Siranum, since there’s little point in hiding that now. I am a member of the family, if not particularly highly placed, due to my youth.”

“You are? Still?”

She nodded. “None of them are aware of my involvement in the Basement, Your Highness. At least, I should certainly hope not.” She shrugged slightly. “I assume a lot of this plan will fall to me, but with the right help, I’m confident I can do it.”

I smiled again. “Great. Then let’s talk about the details.”

Even without Kariva’s take on it, I’d say this was going pretty well. While there were ways this could backfire, in the end, we still had the Imperial army bearing down on the Dominion. Even if they managed to salvage a coordinated, consolidated position out of this, it didn’t change the balance of forces on each side. But anything that might throw a spanner in Jideia’s works, or buy us some time, was worth trying.

4