172: Complications
124 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of all the things I might have expected to find once we drew close enough to the Zarian city, seeing it burning wasn’t one of them.

It took me a moment to realize that it probably looked worse than it was. The whole city wasn’t on fire, there were just a few very intense fires giving off a lot of smoke. Perhaps something in whatever materials had fallen prey to the flames. Even so, anyone could see that this city was in bad shape.

I frowned, cycling some qi to my eyes to get a better look. We'd anticipated infighting between the noble families and the temple, but I wouldn’t have expected it to get this big this soon. My intuition told me that something else had happened.

“What in the spirits’ names is going on here?” Kajare muttered. “That’s a lot of fire.”

I glanced at him and forced a small smile. “I was just thinking the same thing. I suspect that something happened to prompt this, but without more information, it’s hard to say.”

Both of us turned and looked at Elis, who stood on a flying sword a little behind us. He clearly noticed our gazes, but only shrugged. “I can’t tell you. I haven’t heard any reports from there in a little while, and you know getting messages has never been easy, even when the city isn’t disintegrating around the Basement’s ears.”

Fair enough. I nodded at him, then turned back around. The army was probably going to make camp any moment now, anyway. We were coming close enough to the city to prepare for a siege, and definitely close enough to threaten it in a strategic sense and keep them from diverting forces, which was half of the point of this.

As if on cue, the soldiers following us stirred as the signal went out. I pulled my own flying sword up a little, hovering in the air, watched while they quickly set up camp, and tried not to sigh at the people hovering around me. I can’t even tell at which point I acquired a following. That’s kind of sad. And with everyone together, Elis coming along, and even Ceion hanging around the periphery, it was generally getting a little crowded.

It took a bit longer to set everything up than I’d have hoped, just another indication of how much our recent losses had cost us. A lot of the soldiers who’d become experienced veterans of our campaign south so far were now dead. Their replacements were not just weaker overall, they also lacked much of that experience. Something I definitely needed to keep in mind. Even in a cultivation world, ignoring psychological factors like morale and experience in favor of cold calculations about strength levels would only come back to bite you.

Finally, though, they finished, and I let the officers and my companions slowly trickle down and into the command post they’d set up, while I stayed in the air for a while. I found myself turning to watch the city. Something about it called to my attention, although it was hard to pin down. Or maybe I’d just gotten too used to interpreting everything as super intuition, it wasn’t like the situation didn’t warrant consideration enough on its own.

By the time I finally made it into the command center, there was already an argument in progress with no signs of letting up. I found that one of the less visible effects of our loss. We’d lost not just many of our officers, but with Wei Jun, also the top general and the leader who had been able to keep everyone focused in working towards the same goal. Now, with not just army officers, but nobles and eighth-stagers (sometimes both, of course), trying to stick their spoons into the broth, that had gotten a lot more difficult.

Before I could recapture their attention and try to beat down on the posturing, Ki Niyani spoke up, her words cutting through the din. “Are you all quite done?” She curled her lip disdainfully. “This is the command center of an army, not a place for squabbling children. I shudder to think what Her Majesty would say about the disrespect we are showing the Imperial Princess, not to mention each other.”

That brought at least a temporary halt to the arguing. I stepped further inside, inclining my head slightly in a gracious motion I’d gotten some practice with recently. “Thank you, Lady Ki,” I responded. “If that’s all, then, perhaps we could focus on discussing the strategic situation. General San?”

Hashar bowed. “Of course, Your Highness. As you could all see personally, pivotal events seem to be afoot in the city, but we have as yet little conclusive intelligence on them. Our Basement allies are doing all they can -” she talked over a soft snort coming from a corner of the room - “but we have not been able to get many details from them yet. We do have indications that the temple is involved.”

“If I may?” Aiki Ilia diffidently cleared her throat. At my nod, she continued speaking. “We managed to break through the formations warding the city against scrying, although only for a brief moment. Still, it seems apparent that there is a military curfew or similar measure in effect, while citizens are trying to flee the city towards outlying settlements at the same time. There also appears to be fighting between the forces of several noble families, though only sporadically and without much coordination. But the biggest concern is almost certainly centered on the temple of Jideia.”

I suppressed a sigh. I’d half-expected news like this, but that didn’t make it welcome. “Go on.”

“We don’t have anything like reliable intelligence, my lady.” She frowned in obvious displeasure. “But some of our sources, both Imperial and Basement, have indicated that spirits might be involved. Apparently, we have little but intangible sensations as evidence, but that this came up several times is telling.”

This time, I did sigh. Great. Spirit b.s. going on and we don’t know what, how or why. “Ceion, any insight?” I asked.

The spirit-child, who was lurking in the periphery of the room, stiffened as everyone turned towards him. He shook his head. “None, my lady. Whatever the Storm is doing, he must have started after my … departure. Or perhaps I was purposefully kept in the dark about any preparations.”

I nodded. It had been a slim hope, and even if he had had something to contribute, I’d have had to be suspicious about it.

“Then there’s not much else we can do,” I said. “Do you recommend moving in quickly, or waiting to see what unfolds?”

My question was answered only by silence at first, with various people exchanging looks and obviously hesitant to speak up. Not that I could really blame them.

“It depends on our objectives, my lady,” Hashar finally said. “Do we prioritize keeping the city intact? Learning what the temple is up to? Or conserving our forces?” She shook her head. “I admit I dislike the thought of you going into a place that is in such a state, but you and your companions are presumably best suited to finding out what this spirit-related business is. That would require us to secure the city first, though.”

I refrained from rolling my eyes. She knew me well enough to know that while I was hardly suicidal, I sometimes acted recklessly. I wouldn’t like the thought of sending soldiers into danger while safely hanging back, but if the strategic reality demanded that, I would do it. This was different, though; as she’d pointed out, I was probably the most likely to make any sense of whatever sensations I could pick up, but that would require getting closer to the temple.

“I do want to know what they’re up to,” I answered after a moment. “That is a priority. Besides, it strikes me that if they’re trying to do something, it’s probably better to stop it rather than let things run their course and let them get whatever they’re after.”

“Plus,” Tenira added, “we probably can’t make the situation in the city much worse. Or at least, if we move in and secure it quickly, we can probably contain it and limit the destruction compared to what might happen otherwise.”

There were nods from several people. I considered it for a moment, then nodded, as well. Trying to limit collateral damage and casualties should definitely be another priority, and she wasn’t wrong. Especially since whatever the spirits or priests of the Storm were cooking up might not just have consequences for us. I could easily imagine him tolerating a lot of collateral damage to the city and Zarian citizens in general if it fulfilled a goal of his.

“Let’s prepare to move out as soon as possible, then,” I said. “I imagine, with everything else going on, the Zarian won’t keep as close an eye on their formations and wards, or be able to respond as well as they might wish. Still, let’s not take unnecessary risks. I want bombing runs prepared and airships ready to come in if needed, as well as several of our newest generation siege engines set up. Only those slated for breaking qi shields. If those parts of the city are full of civilians, let’s not bombard them.”

A stir went through the room and several of the officers saluted. My own companions’ gazes sharpened, as we turned our minds to the new offensive. We’d have to be quick, but still careful. A misstep now could be costly.

From now on, the gathered officers and leaders were a lot more on task. With the encouragement of Hashar and others, they actually managed to put together an operational plan pretty quickly. I held back, since I’d outlined what I wanted and it was now their job to turn that strategy into a reality. A few officers came and went from the command center, and many more qi constructs and electromagnetic waves carried orders and messages.

We’d wasted too much time, but at least we were making progress. I could sense the army forming up around us. I’d have to stay in the back again while they moved on the walls, but by now, I was used to that.

I was just considering whether I should remove myself from the command center and get into position when Elis caught my eye. He tilted his head to the side and raised an eyebrow. I glanced around, then slipped forward, keeping to the edges of the room. Of course, people noticed me leaving, but no one raised a stir.

Elis met me in a side room, where not many people lingered in the vicinity. He started weaving a qi shield immediately. I crossed my arms, but kept quiet. Tenira and Elia had followed us, and while Tenira looked curious, neither of them spoke, either.

“What is it, Elis?” I asked when I finally sensed that he was finished.

He turned to me and shrugged, though I saw the slight grimace on his face. “I just wanted to say goodbye, Inaris.”

Before I could stop myself, I stiffened up. “You’re leaving?”

“No. Yes.” He hesitated. “I’m going south.”

I frowned. “That’s stupid, Elis. In case you haven’t noticed, we’re at war with the Zarian, and the situation in the Dominion is just a little skip short of civil war.”

“I know that.” He crossed his arms and shot me a baleful look.

“While Nari could have expressed it more diplomatically,” Tenira looked at me sideways, “she’s not wrong. Going into the Dominion now would be very dangerous.”

Elis shook his head. “Not as much for one man as for an army. Especially not a shapeshifter who knows his way around the region.”

I glanced at Elia, then back at Elis. I guess he has a point. But still. “It would still be a risk, and for what? Why are you so determined to go?”

He sighed. “I have to, Inaris. I can be a lot more help down there, working with the Basement, than sitting on my butt here. Vana could really use the help of a truth-teller, you know? Besides, there are a few other things I want to follow up on.”

“Personal reasons,” Elia put in. She sighed. “I don’t like him going off like this, either, but I understand.”

I nodded slowly. He did make a few good points. Then why do I dislike the idea so much?

“Please be careful,” Tenira said. “Everything else aside, you getting captured by the Zarian would be really bad. Going to rescue you would really put a damper on our plans.”

Elis grinned at her. “Don’t worry, Tenira, I can take care of myself.”

I shook my head. “I hope that you can. Very well, I suppose you don’t technically need my approval, but I won’t stop you. Take care.”

His smile faded and he just looked at me in silence for a moment. Our gazes locked by accident, and I could see something going through his eyes that I couldn’t quite describe. I couldn’t quite make sense of what went on in my own head right now, either.

Then the moment broke and Elis gave me a roguish smile. “Don’t worry, Nari. Take care of yourself, too. And the others. I’m trusting you with my little sister.”

Elia snorted and I grinned back. “Sure.”

Elis nodded to us, then strode off. After he disappeared through the doorway, I exchanged a look with Elia. Then I shook my head and turned to go, as well. We had a battle to get to.

6