Chapter 13 – A Dream Come True
906 12 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here you go! A 3,1k words chapter! The longest chapter so far!

There is also a switch of POV in this chapter!

I hope that you will enjoy!

 

- (Anna’s POV) -

 

It’s finally morning! I get up, train with the knights, and eat breakfast with Alice’s family. Today will be an important day for my shop!

I head toward the orphanage to pick up my employees. We decided that I will pick them up for 2 more days, then they will have to go to the shop by themselves. Once I arrive at the orphanage, they are already ready to leave. So motivated!~

“Are you ready for today? It might be harder than yesterday!” (Anna)

“”””Yess!!!”””” (5 employees)

We walk toward the shop, but we stop once we see the shop. What’s going on here?!

In front of my shop, there are several dozens of people. Did something happen? Along with the children, I try to ask a man:

“Hey! Do you know what’s going on here?” (Anna)

“Hello miss! You see this shop there? It’s called ‘Sanctuary’ and a lot of people apparently came out of this shop with a miracle potion! It made quite the commotion in the district, so I think that everyone here wants to buy one. I’m personally waiting for the shop to open right now.” (man)

WHAT THE HELL!! And here I was worried because I thought we won’t have many customers! We might even have TOO MANY customers!~

“Alright, thank you for the information, sir!” (Anna)

I enter the shop using another entrance situated behind the building. Once we are inside, I turn toward my employees.

“It will be a hard day! We still have half an hour before the opening so let’s work fast! We definitely need more potions and soap!” (Anna)

For the next 30 minutes, we fill bottles after bottles at an incredible speed. I hope it will be enough for the day…

“Alright! Let’s open the shop now! Are you ready?” (Anna)

“””Yes!!””” (employees)

I take a look behind, and there are even more people now… I can’t count them, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more than 100…

I open the main door and put a sign stating <OPEN>. Then immediately, many customers enter the shop and it doesn’t take long for the shop to be full… Yesterday was quite boring for me and my employees, but today is DEFINITELY NOT boring! Haha~

“I want this red potion!” (man 1)

“Please, I will take this green potion!” (woman 1)

“A red potion please!” (man 2)

“3 bottles of soap please!” (woman 2)

My employees are working at top speed and are already sweeting… I hope they won’t collapse before the end of the day…

The number of people in the shop slowly decrease but there are still more people coming. Before we know it, it’s already time for lunch! We have an hour break for lunch so I put a sign <CLOSED> on the door so no one else will come. We quickly get rid of the remaining customer in the shop and we all heave a sigh. All my employees are exhausted and are panting. Me? I’m totally fine physically but I’m also exhausted mentally.

“Good job everyone! However, we need to quickly eat then fill more bottles with potions and soap; we are nearly out of stock!” (Anna)

They are sighing after my words.

“I know that it’s hard, but I think it will be calm down in a few days, let’s do our best alright?” (Anna)

“””Yes!””” (employees)

I won’t stay in this shop indefinitely; I will only stay until I go to the capital with Alice’s family. I need to make sure that they can face any situation without me!

We have lunch, then prepare more potions and soap then it’s already time to open again before we know it.

 

**********

 

It has been 2 hours since we opened the shop again in the afternoon, I think the time is approximately 3PM. The afternoon is slightly less busy, but there are still a lot of people in the shop.

Suddenly, a girl around my age (16) with dark brown hairs come to the counter.

“Excuse me, do you sell a more powerful green potion?” (girl)

“I can definitely make one, but I don’t have the ingredient for that. Why do you need it? Isn’t it powerful enough? Why do you need a more powerful one?” (Anna)

“The truth is… I-I already got a green potion for free yesterday… I-It’s for my sick mother; she has been sick for 2 months and her state is more and more serious. I don’t know what to do to save her. T-The potion only slightly improved her state, but it didn’t cure her…” (girl)

I can see that she is refraining herself from crying… But more importantly, a sickness that even my potions can’t cure?! It must be really serious, at the same level of a cancer or something like this.

“What about buying a lot of potions? Maybe she will be cured in a few weeks if she takes one everyday.” (Anna)

“Well… I can barely afford a single potion… We had a shop 1 year ago, but my father abandoned us with a lot of debt, so we had to sell the shop… Now, with my sick mother, I’m the only one making money with odds jobs, but I barely get 30 silver coins per month…” (girl)

I see, so that’s how it is… Why is she even telling something like this to a stranger?! I really want to help her, but I shouldn’t do it. If I start helping one person, more people will come begging for help, and I will be even busier.

Oh, wait! I actually have an amazing idea! Let’s do it!

“What’s your name?” (Anna)

“M-Mary! My name is Mary! What about yours?” (Mary)

“I’m Anna. Where is your mom right now?” (Anna)

“She is lying on a bed in our temporary house.” (Mary)

“Alright, I don’t mind taking a look at her and see what I can do to help. Come back to the shop in 3 hours, when we close it, and you will bring me to your house.” (Anna)

“T-Thank you, I will do anything if there is even 1% chance to save my mother!” (Mary)

“Don’t put your expectation too high, I don’t know if I can save her.” (Anna)

“A-Alright, I will come back in 3 hours!” (Mary)

After her words, she leaves, and I go back to work with a smile on my face, thinking about what I will do.

 

********

 

- (Mary’s POV) –

 

My name is Mary and it has been approximately 3 hours since I talked to this red-haired girl called Anna. I’m really ashamed to go to her shop without money and even force her to have pity on me… B-But I have no other choice!

It has been 2 months since my mother is sick, and I already tried everything! Nothing sold in the market could cure her… However, this potion that I got yesterday slightly improved her state. She is my last hope, I can’t let it go! I already know that I can’t pay her if she can save her, but I will do everything! I will beg! I don’t even mind licking her feet or selling my body!

For the last 2 months, I did all kinds of jobs. I couldn’t find a decent job… no one wanted to hire me because I didn’t have enough money to buy good clothes and wash my body… They didn’t even give me a chance even when I told them that I have a lot of experience in business because I helped my mother in the shop that we had!

What kind of jobs I did? I tried to sell some product made of wood that I did with a knife and my hands. When I was out of money, I-I even s-sold my body s-several times! Needless to say, those 2 months were hell for me and my mother…

 

I’m currently waiting outside of Anna’s shop. I have been here for more than 30 minutes; I absolutely don’t want to miss this chance!

Suddenly, I see a red-haired girl leaving the shop, looking around, then waving at me. It’s Anna!

“Hey Mary, can you bring me to your house?” (Anna)

“Yes, of course! Please follow me!” (Mary)

She is really nice, even to someone like me. Unlike me, she is clean, her clothes look expensive and her hairs are so shiny!

I head toward my house along with Anna. Then, we finally arrive in front of my house.

“Here is my house, welcome!” (Mary)

She looks around strangely. Yes, we are currently in the slums, all the ‘houses’ are very small, dirty and half broken. I’m ashamed to bring her to such a place…

Seeing my ashamed face, she speaks.

“Don’t worry, I was only surprised because I didn’t know there was such a place in this town… Living here must be hard.” (Anna)

Well, she is right… We had no choice but to move to the slums after we sold the shop, we were too poor to rent or buy another house.

“I’m sorry for bringing you here…” (Mary)

“It’s fine, don’t worry! Can I go inside?” (Anna)

“Y-Yes, of course!” (Mary)

We enter the ‘house’ and head toward my mother’s room then I knock at her door. By the way, my mother’s name is Maya.

“Mom? Are you awake? Can I enter?” (Mary)

“Y-Yes, come in. *cough*” (Maya)

When I hear my mother coughing, I quickly go in and see her lying in her poor bed. It’s not hard to figure out that she is suffering… I really want to save her, or at least reduce her pain! My mother slightly turns her head to look at me and freezes when she sees Anna.

“Mary? *cough* Who is this person?” (Maya)

“Her name is Anna and she has some knowledges in alchemy.” (Mary)

“I already told you not to waste your money on me! *cough* You should live your life happily! I don’t want you to waste your life for me! *cough* My disease can’t be cured, and you know it!” (Maya)

No! I refuse to let you die! You are the only one I still have; I don’t want to lose you aswell!

After my mother’s words, Anna head toward my mom.

“Hello, my name is Anna. I’m already informed that you can’t pay so don’t worry. What’s your name?” (Anna)

“I’m Maya. *cough*” (Maya)

“Do you mind if I take a look at your body?” (Anna)

“I don’t mind, *cough* go ahead.” (Maya)

Anna place her hand on my mom belly for around 10 seconds then she removes it.

“Does it hurt around your throat? And is it difficult to breath?” (Anna)

“H-How do you know?! *cough*” (Maya)

“I inspected your body and I ‘felt’ something dark around your neck. To explain it simply, there is something trying to shrink your throat, so it’s more difficult for the air to reach your lungs.” (Anna)

Wow! She only touched my mother for 10 seconds, but she already knows everything about her disease?! The 2 last doctors that inspected her said that they didn’t know what her disease is!!

“D-Do you know what disease I have?! *cough*” (Maya)

“I don’t know the name, but I know the effects and consequences. Looking at the state of your body, you shouldn’t survive for more than 2 weeks.” (Anna)

After her words, I can feel some tears in my eyes. I don’t want my mother to die! I instantly kneel on the floor in front of Anna.

“Anna-sama, you are the first one that could recognize the illness! Please tell me if you know any way to cure it! I promise to do anything that I can for you!” (Mary)

Seeing my action and hearing my words, she sighs.

“Mary, I already told you that I will do what I can, right? You don’t have to prostrate yourself!” (Anna)

She turns toward my mother and ask her:

“Do you mind if I touch your body again? It won’t last more than a minute.” (Anna)

“If you want to try something, go ahead. *cough* I already prepared myself to die anyway.” (Maya)

No, mother! Don’t talk about dying!

Anna place both hands on my mother’s neck and it looks like she is concentrating. The room is silent for a minute, I can even hear a fly flying around in the room. After approximately a minute, she removes her hand and speaks:

“I have done what I can, how do you feel?” (Anna)

My mother moves her hand to inspect her neck with a surprised face.

“I-I feel very light, and it doesn’t hurt anymore?! What did you do?” (Maya)

“You remember when I said that there was something dark in your body? Well, I said that because it would be easier to understand. But in reality, there was a lot of microscopic living beings around your neck; they are so small that you can’t see them with your naked eyes. What I did? I simply killed them all and forced their corpses to leave your body. And if you ask me how I did that, I’m sorry but it’s a secret. So, to sum it up, you are cured.” (Anna)

Hearing the word ‘cured’, I instantly explode in joy and run toward my mother to embrace her. Once I’m in her arms, I start to cry.

“Mom!!” (Mary)

“Ara, Mary, it looks like it’s not yet my time to pass out!” (Maya)

“Mom…” (Mary)

I stayed in my mother’s arm for 2 minutes, crying. Then I heard my mother’s voice.

“Anna-chan, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving me. Thank to you, I can continue to see my daughter growing! I don’t know how to repay you.” (Maya)

Crap! I was so happy that I forgot to thanks Anna!

“Yes, thank you very much for saving my mother! Like I said before, I will do whatever you want to repay my debt!” (Mary)

“I didn’t ask anything before I try to cure you so don’t worry, I won’t force you to pay anything. Actually, let me confirm something, you both don’t have a job right now, right?” (Anna)

“N-No, we don’t, I lost my job when I was sick, and I heard that my daughter is doing some odd jobs…” (Maya)

After my mother’s word, Anna smile and say:

“When I heard your situation and saw the state of your ‘house’, I got an idea. I have a proposition for both of you. Do you want to work for me and help me to manage my shop?” (Anna)

My face freezes. I’m already determined to do whatever I can to repay her! Pausing for a few seconds, she continues:

“Currently, I have hired 5 children between 10 and 15 years old and their work is to talk to the customers and trade the products for money. However, I’m not really comfortable to let children manage the shop on their own when I will have to leave, and they can’t really manage money and talk with our supplier. So, I’m thinking of hiring both of you because I heard that you have some experience in business since you had a shop. The pay is 1 gold coin per person per month, you can live in the shop for free because there are a lot of empty rooms and there is a free day every week. Your jobs would be to give orders to the children, manage money and talk to the suppliers. Let me make myself clear, I don’t force you to accept, but I believe that we are all winning with this proposition.” (Anna)

Wow, I was thinking of doing anything for her, even working as a slave for her, but here she comes with a proposition like this! This Anna is really a hardcore, saving my mother is not enough for her, she even wants to save our financial situation! Is she an angel or something?! I really want to accept immediatly, but let’s see what my mother says:

“What do you think, mom? I really want to do it!” (Mary)

“I think that it’s a very interesting proposition, we will never find a better job.” (Maya)

My mother turns toward Anna and continue:

“We will be in your care, Anna-chan. We accept your offer with joy!” (Maya)

“Alright! Pleased to work with you! Do you mind coming with me to the shop now?” (Anna)

“I don’t mind, I feel really light right now. It’s been 2 months that I have been stuck in my bed, so I want to walk a bit. What about you, Mary?” (Maya)

“Let’s go!” (Mary)

The 3 of us head toward the ‘Sanctuary’. Once we arrive inside, Anna bring us upstairs.

“If you decide to live in this shop, this entire floor will be yours. There is a bath, a kitchen and 4 rooms.” (Anna)

Wow! It’s really big!

“W-We accept to live here; it would be our pleasure!” (Maya)

“Alright! Then let’s go to the bath to wash yourself!” (Anna)

We head toward the bath, it’s very nice to have a bath here! We didn’t have something like this in our house in the slums.

“This bath is a bit small if we compare it to the one inside the house I currently live in, but I hope you will like it!” (Anna)

SMALL?! Just how big is the one in her house? It looks like my mother is thinking the same.

“W-Where do you live, Anna-chan?” (Maya)

“Oh, I didn’t tell you? I live in Roland’s house.” (Anna)

“Roland?” (Maya)

“Ah sorry, he is the Lord of this town and also an Earl.” (Anna)

““THE EARLLLL ?!”” (Maya & Mary)

“W-Who are you, Anna-chan?” (Maya)

“Oh, don’t worry, I’m only an average commoner, they only let me live in their house for some reason.” (Anna)

WHAT PART OF THAT IS ‘AVERAGE’?! I really want to say it out loud, but I restrain myself; I don’t want to be rude to my savior.

We take a bath with something called soap, it’s really amazing and now my hairs are shining! Then, Anna take out 2 plate with a mix of meat and vegetables on it. From where did she took it off? And how is it still hot? Moreover, the meal is really delicious, it has been a long time since I ate something like this! She also gives us more details about the jobs and shows us the products.

After that, Anna has to leave to eat her dinner while we move our belonging to the shop. Once we are done, we directly sleep in one of the comfortable beds.

Ahh, it’s like a dream come true! Please, if it’s a dream, don’t wake me up!~

 

How was this chapter? Do you like the 2 news characters?

Did you like the change of POV?

Like always, don't hesitate to comment to give me your opinion or suggestion ;)

23